Cleaning up tags on NU V2.0

Discussion in 'Novel Updates Site Discussion' started by marine1corps, Jun 23, 2017.

1. LaDyViL

LaDyViL New Member Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    For the first time edit, anyone can add the definition. After some time, it will be locked and can only be edited by mods. If that happen and you wish to have it edited, just post here. There is also a Change Log at the first page to show you past changes that was done if you need an example of locked definitions.

AliceShiki and alexfilia like this.
  2. MangoGuy

MangoGuy Rambling Mango

Reading List:
    Link
    good point. it definitely is legit. However, I feel that "individuals of this religion" includes ALL individuals under the religion, whether they be founders or followers.
    Also, just noticed that the last line for Evil organizations is better off removed. In the def of Evil organizations, we will mention the Evil religions tag. that is enough. So, My proposal is:
    This tag is to be used if the setting of the story involves a religious organization, such as a church or something. It implies that individuals of this religion take part actively in the plot, and their actions are governed by their religious beliefs. Please note that there is a separate tag called Evil Religions. Note that this 'religion' need not be something that exists in the real world.

3. LaDyViL

Reading List:
    Link
    Remove the line about Evil Organization and add that last sentence?

MangoGuy likes this.
  4. K.san

K.san take me back to 2017

Reading List:
    Link
    The definition for the tag "Beautiful Couple" is "this tag is to be used ONLY when BOTH the male lead and the female lead are described to be good-looking, both individually and as a couple." Is it possible to change this so that it includes novels that feature a male x male or female x female romance?

5. LaDyViL

Reading List:
    Link
    @brasca123 missed one?

Edit: Nvm, just saw someone re-add the tag again. Waiting for opinions.

6. beefy765

beefy765 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    OK, then how about: A person who is the property of another and may or may not be forced to obey them. Tag should only be used if slavery is commonplace in the story.

7. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    I had removed the beautiful couple tag in the past, and now it was added again...

I looked over the tags edit logs, and together with the addition of beautiful couple other tags were also added:

Beautiful Couple, Power Couple, Smart Female Lead, Smart Male Lead, Strong Female Lead, Strong Male Lead

Out of those, the only one that was still a thing was "Power Couple", due to that, I assume the one that made the edits was someone that didn't bother to check the tag lists before adding a tag, so I'm removing it again.

If someone thinks it's still worth being re-added, please do say so, at the moment I don't think the tag is necessary due to the existence of the "Beautiful Female Lead" and "Handsome Male Lead" tags.

K.san and LaDyViL like this.
  8. bob3002

bob3002 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    In the description for the tag "Time Skip" the word "involved" is mis-spelled as "involed". Can I get a mod to fix the typo? Thanks.

LaDyViL and runsing like this.
  9. LaDyViL

Reading List:
    Link
    It has been fixed. Thank you.

10. Raneday

Raneday Not Rane

Reading List:
    Link
    hello is there a list of Tags that must not be added anymore? And those that are accepted?

11. marine1corps

marine1corps Invisible to all Novel Updates Staff

Reading List:
    Link
    there isn't a list of tags to not add per say but here is the list of current tags here

There are more resources a user can use on the first page just follow the table of contents

Last edited: Aug 1, 2017
  12. LaDyViL

Reading List:
    Link
    This User Resource post (first page) have the link to the list of existing tags. It also has link to the Edit Log to show tag-related activities (removal/re-add).
    http://forum.novelupdates.com/posts/2344848/

Ophious, AliceShiki and Raneday like this.
  13. fqidian

fqidian New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    More tags the merrier thou...

14. marine1corps

marine1corps Invisible to all Novel Updates Staff

Reading List:
    Link
    Let's not troll account.

15. fqidian

fqidian New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I wasn't kidding, I like going through tags on novels

16. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    So... If you looked for a novel that talked about vampires, what would you do?

You'd use the Series Finder and search for the tag "Vampires", correct?

But what if NU didn't have only the "Vampires" tag, but instead had the following tags:

Vampire
    Vampires
    Shiny Glittering Twilight Things
    Sparkles
    Blood-sucking Beasts
    Undeads That are Unusually Attracted to Humans
    Things Afraid of the Sun
    Burn
    Protagonist Weak to Holy Magic
    Male Lead Afraid of Rain

Would you be able to find all novels related to Vampires if they were split up in all those 10 tags? I think you wouldn't.

That's the purpose of cleaning them up, we don't need multiple tags if they can be filtered into the same thing.

Granted, not all of those necessarily mean "Vampires", that's where we need to look into the novels with the tags to see if they were used properly and on what kind of novel are they being used.

17. fqidian

fqidian New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ieant I would rather every vampire one to have all of said tags to make searching easier, obviously the tags would have to be an actual tag not random words stuck together, although some of those tags mentioned can be used for not vampires when thinking in the typical vampire sense as blood suckimg beasts for example aren't necessarily vampires in the typical sense but thats just my opinion I guess

18. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    That's the issue, how will you put all of those tags in every novel with Vampires in them?

Tags aren't added by mods, they're added by users, if an user doesn't know all the tags that might represent a vampire, it might end up not being used, and then someone searching for one tag might not find all novels that correspond to that tag.

But yes, not all of those tags relate solely to vampires, it's the reason why we look at the novels listed before we clean up any tag, and to make sure that there are proper substitutes for the uses of the tag.

In the case of the example you mentioned, "Blood-sucking Beasts" is more generic than "Vampires", so it would generally be kept, "Vampires" on the other hand is a trope well known enough to be kept as well.

On the other hand, "Vampire" is the same as "Vampires", so it would be merged. "Burn" doesn't say anything, so it would be removed. "Male Lead Afraid of Rain" is too specific and kinda stupid, so it would be removed as well.

It's this kind of thing that we're working in, we're not trying to make NU lose tags that people might need, we're trying to remove the irrelevant stuff, and merge the relevant stuff into tags that already exist. The purpose of this effort is to make it easier for everyone to find the novels with the characteristics they like, since it's easier to go through 820 tags, than it is to go through 1300 tags.

19. MangoGuy

MangoGuy Rambling Mango

Reading List:
    Link
    Too much of anything is not good for anything. I agree that tags should be of decent size, like easily over 800 or so...but over 1.6k? In the whole of NU, there are not more than 3k novels, with about 400 of them having the very same set of tags. Something was wrong.

LaDyViL, BlancFrost and AliceShiki like this.
  20. Data

Data Assuming Direct Control

Reading List:
    Link
    Should there be a tag that simply says sexual content or light sexual content?

One of the things that I've always considered is that sex is considered an adult genre.

To quote:
    The thing is that some stories aren't concentrated on it but it does have it, showing that potentially more will come down the line. My example is MMORPG the legendary guardian which recently had sex scenes (250 chapters in). However, adult was a mislabeling on my part so I was wondering if there should be a tag that warns about it even though there is a mature genre.

The reason I say this is because the tags help to describe more about the genre. The genre is very broad (such as mature) and tags help to explain some of it. Probably also why we have a gore tag to go along with mature. That's why I ask if there should be a sexual content / light sexual content tag as it was very mild thus far from what was translated, but there can potentially be more.