Someone is recommending a yaoi novel on many novel pages

Discussion in 'Novel Updates Site Discussion' started by ninthlite, Aug 18, 2017.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ninthlite

ninthlite Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    any chance there will be some community based moderation implemented sometime in the future? I have noticed there are still a few yaoi novels recommended on unrelated novels ( neither Disciple nor Reader and protag but a third yaoi novel), however it is impractical to go each novel, then click each recommendation to double check whether the validity of the recommendation.

I think adding a new level of moderator might be a good idea as well, maybe named Curators. People responsible for moderating the Novel Update section of the website, which would include monitoring if the recommendation/tag/reviews/other features are being abused, but not have forum moderation powers. If you do, I recommend myself. I have gotten quite annoyed in the past when I see obvious trolling in the tags/recommendations/reviews.

2. metazoxan

metazoxan Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    BTW there is a similar issue with someone one staring all of the new novels
    http://www.novelupdates.com/series/100-sweet-love-the-delinquent-xxx-wife-is-a-bit-sweet/

The funny thing is it's always just one down vote. I don't see like several it's just the one. There is no real way to prevent this unless the devs can figure out if it's the same guy and lock him out. if that can be done devs please do so. But assuming this issue can't be prevented I'd like to encourage people to keep an eye out for out of place 1 star votes on new novels and give a 5 star vote to such novels to at least balance it out a bit.

3. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    1) Has a problem that unpopular stuff will never get the quota.
    2) A great majority of the NU users don't use NUF, they shouldn't be limited because they don't want to talk to people.
    3) This could work, though it could also lead to report abuse if people disagreed to a specific recommendation on a specific novel, even if it was a legit one.
    Community-based things should only be done in the case the workload is stupidly big for mods to handle it by themselves.

This kind of thing is a rare occurrence, it can be solved with reports or with making threads like this one.
    People 1 staring novels without reason has been an issue since forever, lots of yaoi novels have tons of 1 star votes because they are yaoi, as well as lots of JP novels have it because they're JP.

It's pretty impossible to solve it, unless it's always one person doing it, since there is no way of knowing if the rating is true or trolling.

asriu, Aiiee, King0Mik and 1 other person like this.
  4. little king

little king Ruler of Sloth [Neko-form]

Reading List:
    Link
    Its like tellin some fanatic guy to stop doin all his shenanigans~

Well ur concern was read by Tony anyways...

5. alexfilia

alexfilia Bromance & Fluff <3

Reading List:
    Link
    Errr isnt the recommendation feature automatic? .....can anyone change it? o_O

6. SoulZer0

SoulZer0 Heaven Refining

Reading List:
    Link
    No it's not, anyone can put a recommendation there as long as they have NU account.

AliceShiki and alexfilia like this.
  7. alexfilia

alexfilia Bromance & Fluff <3

Reading List:
    Link
    O.O i didnt know that......thank you!

8. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    It was automatic in the past, I think it was changed to user-based recommendations since some 6-8 months ago.

9. NZPIEFACE

NZPIEFACE Leecher

Reading List:
    Link
    @runsing @marine1corps cough cough cough

Blitz and LaDyViL like this.
  10. marine1corps

marine1corps Invisible to all Novel Updates Staff

Reading List:
    Link
    Seee invisible is working as intended though I haven't been working on NU for 2 days now because or rl things.

Shio likes this.
  11. gggo

gggo Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It seems like not only does BL have the power to dominate the entire world, it could even break through time and space.

12. LaDyViL

LaDyViL New Member Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You forgot @Nom de Plume

See my Title? Now check @runsing @marine1corps @Nom de Plume 's titles. Unlike NUF where there are visible actions, arguments, flames, drama etc the works on NU are hush hush, sometime public won't even know there was a problem because it was swiftly fixed.

However, if you wish to nominate yourself as a possible NU staff, the person to flatter would be @Tony and not the general public. Good luck.

13. NZPIEFACE

NZPIEFACE Leecher

Reading List:
    Link
    Eh, ok, so she moved on from NUF mod

Beat Tony's score first

14. Arcturus

Arcturus Cat, Hidden Sith Lord

Reading List:
    Link
    At one point it was automatic, but it was a pretty bad automatic, that didn't give out particularly good recommendations which is why it became user-based. Now, though it can be abused, you are far more likely to find a decent recommendation for novel.

alexfilia likes this.
  15. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    *nod nod nod*

Yeah, I remember that, I just didn't think it was necessary to go into details over it... I remember that the recommendations were in alphabetical order, so you never got any recommendation that started with the letter "B"... >.>

Arcturus likes this.
  16. Asf

Asf 《《The aria of souls》》

Reading List:
    Link
    Troll at your own risk tho..
    Getting banned in NUF doesnt really metter..
    But getting banned in NU hurts.
    Atleast the trouble been fixed!

17. ninthlite

Reading List:
    Link
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2017
  18. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    No, there is no reason to stop people from recommending yaoi novels just because the other novel isn't yaoi, as long as the person thinks it's a valid recommendation, it's okay to make it.

You can recommend a Wuxia novel on a page of a Xianxia one, why wouldn't you be able to recommend yaoi on a non-yaoi? It's the same.
    I don't think finding 2 different novels with yaoi recommendations makes it a troll recommendation... Sure, it could be, but I don't think it is.

LaDyViL likes this.
  19. ninthlite

Reading List:
    Link
    I see you have not seen my original post where a person is abusing recommendation system to put yaoi novels everywhere. I recommend reading it.

Also I don't know what world you live in where a person reading a novel about a pet shop would make you believe they would be interested in reading three novels about men falling in love and having sex. There is still one yaoi novel recommended on pet shop, and I'm okay with that one because its the only novel that even was slightly related to any novel these yaoi dipshits were spamming on.

Seriously have you even thoughy about what you said?

Last edited: Sep 6, 2017
  20. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes I did read your OP, in fact I read everything on this subforum thank you very much.

Still, the person was banned and the issue should have been solved... Sure, it might be a clone account trolling, but it might actually be a legit recommendation.

I have no idea what the novel in question talks about (a pet shop you said? I remeber you talking about 2 novels though... Oh well), nor do I know what the yaoi novels talk about.

Yaoi novels aren't about 2 men having sex, they are novels that happen to have a romance between 2 men... Rather or not it is the focus of the novel... It varies.

So... I see no reason why someone should not be able to recommend yaoi on non-yaoi novels... I didn't discard the possibility of it being a troll recommendation because it can be a troll recommendation... Judging by how many novels with yaoi recs you found so far though, I think it's a legit recommendation.

daydreamer_ likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.