Cleaning up tags on NU V2.0

Discussion in 'Novel Updates Site Discussion' started by marine1corps, Jun 23, 2017.

1. neoshadow

neoshadow Lurker Sect Leader

Reading List:
    Link
    So I am working on a little thing that might make people's live easier when cleaning tags.

Only if we get to merge European with a bunch of other tags involving Europe like the German if that still a thing.
    ....well it wasn't just him. (points to machine sliced bread and light novel translations:blobpeek::blobpeek:)

2. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    Uhn... Please elaborate?

3. MangoGuy

MangoGuy Rambling Mango

Reading List:
    Link
    There is no separate tag for German and Italian and any other such ambiences. European is the only one. The diversity of the novels has not extended to the point that each country needs a different tag. If you see such tags, please being it to our notice.

4. LaDyViL

LaDyViL New Member Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Tag definition has been updated desu o7

AliceShiki likes this.
  5. neoshadow

neoshadow Lurker Sect Leader

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, I figured out to use text mining and classification machine learning (clustering) to try to figure out if two tags are similar enough that they can be merged or if each tag is unique enough that they should not be merged. Because it's similarity or clustering, it could also be used to figure out. Basically, it would tell you which novels between the two tags are grouped closest together, the closeness of the cluster, and what words (and word vectors) are associated with each cluster. However, because it only tells you what the groups are, it would be up to you guys to interpret the meaning on a higher level. (Thus no more figuring out if ____ is too small or if _____ is a unique tag.)

After that, I do plan on making a separate thread for it. Right now, I need to work on writing up installation instructions for the free version of ML software and work out a kink with runsing and marine1corps. My original example of how it compares two tags was not that good example because I am still catching up on all the tag changes you guys have made since my hiatus. Would you guys know of an obvious example of two tags that currently need to be merged but no one has gotten around to it?

Eh? Well, about a year ago there used to be one along with naval warfare and the European tag. You guys must have cleaned it, which is probably a good thing because it was basically only 1-2 novels that involved Nazi's. So give yourself a pat :blobpats:on the back.

6. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh... Well this is interesting.

The only examples I can honestly think of on top of my head are "Beautiful Female Lead/Handsome Male Lead" and "Genius Male Lead/Genius Female Lead".

If you look at the current tag list, you'll see that there are almost no "Male Lead" or "Female Lead" tags anymore, almost all of those have been changed to "Protagonist" or "Love Interests"... Or both.

Those 2 groups will probably be changed into something like that as well, but we weren't sure on what words to use on Beautiful/Handsome lead and if Genius was really what we wanted as the name of the other tag, so they were left like that...

There are also some tags that are more fetishish, so it's hard to gender-neutralize them... Like Younger Brothers, Younger Sisters, Cute Daughter, Half-Sister, Sister Complex, Brother Complex... I think those are all.

But it's hard for me to think of any tag that would be worth merging and nobody had done it, because we have enough people on it by now to actually overcome the laziness... So I can only think of those non-gender-neutral examples... Dunno if it helps.

7. douchi

douchi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The definition for Wuxia needs to be fixed as the text is cut off.

It is also rather unhelpful if the definitions, at least for the genres, don't appear within the selection frame.

8. LaDyViL

Reading List:
    Link
    What do you mean cut-off? I'm not seeing any parts that got cut off.
    IMG_20170903_014743.jpg

BlancFrost and AliceShiki like this.
  9. runsing

runsing status : bleeding, health -10/s Novel Updates Staff

Reading List:
    Link
    what browser on which platform did you see this on? both on my tablet and phone appears fine.

my results are same with @LaDyViL, even tho i'm 100% sure she isn't using same browser and platform as me.

10. Blitz

Blitz ⛈️ awakened from the reverie❄️

Reading List:
    Link
    Same for me too. I'm using chrome.

11. douchi

douchi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    When you hover over the term on a novel page. I forgot there were other places where the definitions appear so I didn't clarify.

By the way, you should also by default uncollapse the definition on the genre page with the list of novels ( I mean, for instance, novelupdates.com/genre/wuxia), or replace the arrow with a question mark.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2017
  12. LaDyViL

Reading List:
    Link
    Since I'm only ever on mobile mode and this seems to be something that only come up with a cursor...*pushes to laptop/pc users*

13. Blitz

Blitz ⛈️ awakened from the reverie❄️

Reading List:
    Link
    Works for me for both.

14. douchi

douchi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I doubt you've tested the right thing.

Just look at the source, the title attribute of the <a> tag is messed up because of the unescaped quotation marks for "Martial Hero". This has nothing to do with the browser choice or config.

LaDyViL likes this.
  15. runsing

Reading List:
    Link
    Fixed™.

also affected;
    Shoujo Ai
    Shounen Ai
    Slice of Life
    Josei

thank you @douchi . it appears double quoutation mark ( " ) that's causing the problem with tooltips. this will need to extend to tags too @marine1corps

16. marine1corps

marine1corps Invisible to all Novel Updates Staff

Reading List:
    Link
    So I have to clean up any tags with quotation marks.

Do we fully out right remove them or do we just supplement with single quotes.

17. runsing

Reading List:
    Link
    for genres, i used [ and ' depending on words.
    btw, what i mean is to slip in (do not use " ) when adding definition" rule.

18. marine1corps

marine1corps Invisible to all Novel Updates Staff

Reading List:
    Link
    Okay I updated the rules.

And when I get to it, will search through the tags for similar cases and at the same time write down questionable tag definitions.

BlancFrost, AliceShiki, Blitz and 2 others like this.
  19. lexlangel

lexlangel Shem's lost butler

Reading List:
    Link
    Like the tag
    *Appearance Different from Actual Age
    The definition is clear but i wonder if the tag is really needed
    *Skill Assimilation
    Same there

20. MangoGuy

MangoGuy Rambling Mango

Reading List:
    Link
    I would say that appearance different from actual age can be a decent tag. Yes, it maynot seem like much but it let's you in on one important thing: expect a lot of face slapping with people who underestimate you on your age. Other than that, there is the standard use of the tag.
    EDIT: if I remember correctly, skill assimilation is about gradually getting skills over a period of time wait....yup. someone else should tackle this one.