Android Reader

Discussion in 'Tech Discussion' started by kspn, Nov 30, 2016.

Tags:
  1. kspn

kspn Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hi All,

This may have been asked and answered previously, but my search skills are lacking, but I was wondering if there was a good Android app that people would recommend for reading books form this site.

I like to be able to read the books on my phone and manually converting them for Android use is fine, until you get interested in a book with Nearly 500 chapters in it!

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

K

2. Das

Das Lazing around Devil's Luck

Reading List:
    Link
    youd be better off just asking this in general chat, doubt you'll see many responses here

3. SoulZer0

SoulZer0 Heaven Refining

Reading List:
    Link
    1st, this site isn't hosting any work. It's a proxy for novels, promoting translators' sites.

2nd, it was mentioned somewhere that the owner of this site has no intention of creating an app for Novelupdates.

3rd, there's an app called BakaReader EX, it's similar to what you say and it's from Baka-Tsuki. Note that only JP novels are available there.

Pudica Yokatta and Jaspaaar like this.
  4. MrNebulist

MrNebulist Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't quite get what you mean, but anyway, try Moon + Reader.

Pudica Yokatta likes this.
  5. kspn

kspn Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks R0roZor0, unfortunately Baka-Tsuki doesn't have the Novels I am interested in.

MrNebulist I generally use Moon Reader for my reading however it needs the files to be converted first, which is inconvenient but I think I will be stuck with it.

Pudica Yokatta and SoulZer0 like this.
  6. comradeprozac

comradeprozac Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I usually use Firefox built in reader, it makes some sites easier to read and it comes with a built in "read it leater" option that let's you read articles without having to be conected to the internet, just go into read mode and add it as a bookmark.

It doesn't work for every site but for those that don't you could use Pocket, just be aware that if you save too many thing to poket it may eat through your memory.

Pudica Yokatta and world is wide like this.
  7. Ral

Ral Not a Well-Known Member ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Reading List:
    Link
    That's what I used to do in the past too. The problem with that, however, is that you quickly ramp up the number of the Reading List items. IIRC, I got about 2400 bookmarks within two months back when I started reading WNs... The only way to mass remove bookmarks in FF for android is clearing data, which means losing everything else too. :(

More chapters is a problem? Really? I actually prefer converting as many chapters as possible in one sitting.

What I do is - I open about 100 chapters at once, use FF's desktop version of Reader View for all of them, then I run a macro I made that copies text from a chapter into libreoffice's Witer and then switches to the next tab. I run the macro 100 times (or however many chapters I opened). Then I set all chapter titles to as "heading 1" and remove stuff I find unnecessary (some hyperlinks, unneeded TNs - explaining stuff I'm aware of or just making pointless comments), and uncensor swearwords. Then I export it to html, then use Sigil to open that hmtl file, I convert all headings (chapter titles) into actual working table of content, I add series name in the metadata and save the file as epub to my dropbox.
    I sync the my WN files on my smartphone from my dropbox and I open it up with MoonReader+ (though I use the pro version now).

Editing the text + conversion to epub takes about 5 mins. If I had 500 chapters to convert I'd split the copying into 5 parts since having more than 100 tabs open would most likely result in lags that would mess up the copying macro. All in all, converting 500 chapters shouldn't take more then 30 mins, 20 of which would the automated anyway.

Also, I could probably change to a macro that opens the next chapter in a new tab after selecting and copying the text from the current one, closes the current tab, pastes the text into the odt file, goes back to the newly opened chapter and repeats. That would cut out the time needed for opening X tabs beforehand.

8. queeniegreen

queeniegreen New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    book reader?does it have a ios version?