(Monthly) Short Story Writing Prompts Submission Thread

Discussion in 'Community Creations' started by AliceShiki, Oct 22, 2016.

?

June's Topic!

Poll closed May 21, 2018.
  1. Fictogemino

6 vote(s)
    60.0%
  2. The Hero Proposed to me, but I'm the Demon King (or queen!)

1 vote(s)
    10.0%
  3. Lights Out

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Sinners

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Continue A Story (Feel free to choose any of the 3)

3 vote(s)
    30.0%
  1. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    Thought about it, but IIRC Patriarchy is related to things that the father rules, instead of the male rules, it's a small difference, but still, decided against it because of that.

Yeah, there is one phrase that goes against it, it's basically dialogue.

2. NZPIEFACE

NZPIEFACE Leecher

Reading List:
    Link
    :|

Man..... and that sigh at the start, that sure as hell wasn't "dialogue"

3. andykhang

andykhang Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Finnnnally done with this month's story. Here it is

Null Island – At a certain house

“…And that’s why, please take me as your student!!”

“…Excuse me?”

In a certain place that’s positioned at the beginning of all map, and at a certain house that’s the beginning of all this thing. A certain #10 rank Guider, still in his fighting suit, was bowing down to the famed “Highest Anomaly” across the table in the living room.

“…Please take me as your student too, Sensei!”

Following that, a certain OP female character of a famous absurd action manga also bow down to him, not minding her peerless black hakama and peerless black katana that’s in her way.

“…Master, here is your tea.”

“…Ah, thank.”

Taking advantegous of her master’s feeling of astonishment, the Crawling Chaos of a maid secrectly “offer” this tea to him. In that impossibly elegant white tea cup, an impossibly clear, black watery “substance” with absurdingly bewitching smell that would temp even the purest and the most saint, containing poison that would trap their very identity into eternal servitude into this inanimated-yet-chaotic juice while slowly, painfully removing them to the great void and forever serve as the tune for it’s forever existence, and ever slumbering god (Dog ).

Of course, as expect of this man with many name, it’s just a really bittersweet tea. Refreshing his mind to once again confirming this (while the maid kept looking at him with overwhelming contempt), he’s silently looking at a clear slide door, to a small garden where a certain Old English sheepdog breed comfortly sleep .

“…Yog, what is the meaning of this?”

Holding his brow, the Highest Anomaly, with look of annoyance, turn to the trench-coated men laying on the wall. Coolly smoking a cigar, the man who looked like he have many year of experience talk with a cracked voice.

“What, can’t I visited my “Aunt” and “Grandpa” once in a while? “

“…And these two?”

“ Oh, they “happen to be” passing the requirement, so I take them along. They “strangely” get very excited to see you two though.”

“…Haaaaah.”

Looking at him sighing for a while, the hardboiled-looking man continued talking to him, while he silently change the air into that of errie and absurd, incapable for any man to live through without a scratch. The same air that instantly bring the two before to their knee and drive them mad beyond any reasonable limit of any psyche…

“…Oh, and please don’t used my “human” name, especially that carelessly. Use my new name, Yogi…”

“Yog-Sothoth.”

…Such air instantly dissipated, returning it to just a clear morning like before. The man in the coat is blown away, with his eyes wide open and barely hold on to his cool demeanor. Looking back, he saw the ever-annoyed face of him, and the disappointed face of his “Aunt”.

“…Don’t smoke in the house.”

Listening to that warning, he glanced back down, only to realize that the cigar’s already disappear. Seeing that, he chuckle a little.

“… How the hell that mean you get weaker?”

“Beat me .”

“Haha… not in a million eternity.”

“…So, you two-tsk, they still get it huh?”

Looking at the two who is literally frozen in place, he snapped them back into sanity. The two immediately find themselves flustered, not knowing what happen in the instant earlier.

“If I was intending to train you, I better get that mentality into shape…Why do you want me to train you?”

“!! So you’s going to train us, Sensei?”

“I said intending (though’s not like I have a choice). Again…”

He paused abit, looking straight into these two eyes, as if he’s peering straight into their very being, not allowing any falsehood.

“…Why?”

Under the peering eyes, the Guilder quickly glance at the one beside him, before saying while staring straight into his face.

“…To be honest, I don’t want to.”

Hearing such word, the Anomaly’s overcome with the feeling of nostalgia …

That dark field.

The unmistakably, overwhelmingly, absurdingly, impossibly mighty being he face before him.

That ever-carefree girl beside him, smilling in excitement as she’s finding a new experience to enjoy.

…And what he said before that being’s question.

“I mean, watching you, I know that there’re being that I will never be able to face against. I would be watching hopelessly as you toyed with our very world…And honestly, that’s fine by me.”

Pause a little, he glanced back at her, finding her surprised face looking at him.

“But she… she want to see the world. Looking at view she hasn’t seen before, eating thing she hasn’t eat before, fighting absurd enemies after absurd enemies and overcoming impossible challenge she hasn’t faced yet.”

Again, he then look at the impossible being, straight into the eyes, still shaking from the fear before.

“…Somehow…I want to help her with that, as her’s (Companion) Guider. So… in order to face being like you..I want to do what I can.”

...The scene end, and the Anomaly once again look at the two.

“(…What a bad joke. Can’t you think of something better than this cliché bullshit, Author)…Okay, you’re in.”

“So please, take us as your…What?”

“Hah… you’re already fullfiled the two “requirement” earlier, so sooner or later you’re going to go to this place a lot anyway. It would be both annoying and bad for my conscience to leave you to these guy out there. “

“S-Sensei, so that mean you’re going to train us?”

“Didn’t I-No no, not the cliché- Well, if I don’t train you, she is going to do it behind my back.And I can’t monitor you if she does.”

He then glanced back, pointing the two to the hallway. Behind the doorframe, another Highest Anomaly was standing, shyly hiding behind like a young lady embarrassed at her mention…

*KNOCK*

“Uuu…You didn’t even let me finish my line.”

“Right now, letting them dealing with your shit is a last thing I want…Come on.”

“Hai hai, Mr.No-fun. ”

Still holding her head, she was lead to the two of them with a smile on her face as always (now even more bright with her hand hold tight to him). He then continue talking to them, ignoring that, and the face of the two that was blushing a bit.

“Okay, Charles Foster and Kuna Antakana. You could call me Kang, and her Andy , since this is what we’re going with for now.’

“You know our name…as expect, Master.”

“Learn fast I see… you need it. From now on, there’re 3 thing you need to remember.”

1. We’re not going to train you to become stronger than us.

“There’re many reason for this that I don’t want to explain right now. So, simply speaking, let just said I don’t want to.”

“…It sound interesting though, wouldn’t you think Danna?”

“…Again, don’t call me that, and most of that is coming from you remember? Anyway…”

2. We’re only going to train you for several weeks only. After that, you’re on your own.

“That because by then, our contract with a certain someone will be gone, and so is our obligation to join in this…”story” of his .By the way, you will be under me, and she will be under her, and the question will be for later. ”

“…Wait, you mean someone put you two under his control, Senseis !?”

I know right, what a surprise that was~!”

“…It was you again, remember twice? So, the third point…”

“…By the way, thank to him, he got some humor back. You know, before the contract, he…”

“THE THIRD POINT…”

((Saying such, without noticing her “I-knew-it” smile)) He and her both pulled out a thick green books instantly, before both give it to them. On the front, there’s nothing except the title…

“…The Nekonomicon?”

“…Long and annoying story, so ask her later. Still, this actually have more than enough power for our purpose.”

““…For what?””

““Our first training.””

With both of them speaking it as the same time, the two once again look questionally into the book they have at hand…

-Extra-

“Fufu~, we’re talking at the same time~!”

“…Um, if you excuse me…”

“Hah, taking this long to recover, what a disgrace… Come on in, you have something to said with your “Aunt” right? (Menacing tone)”

With a dark aura letting (drag) the unfortunate guest in, it’s another normal day in the house.

Not sure if it okay though, so need some feedback. (Though this isn't exactly a good place to ask anyway.)

Last edited: Jan 8, 2017
  4. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    <.<
    >.>

I need to get over my laziness and start reading up on the stories people posted here! >.<

I haven't read a single one so far... orz

5. NZPIEFACE

NZPIEFACE Leecher

Reading List:
    Link
    wut

6. NZPIEFACE

NZPIEFACE Leecher

Reading List:
    Link
    Honestly speaking, if you have to self-reference yourself (the author) multiple times in such a short story without it being the focus, please revise what you're writing.

Also, bad grammar.

Also, fuck you and all your pronouns.

7. andykhang

andykhang Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, I intend it to be a spin-off of a non-existence story really, of course it's not going to be the focus. (Taking note so that it's not that obvious though). Also grammar is pretty much a long-held problem for me.

8. Omnifarious

Omnifarious Re: member

Reading List:
    Link
    OK here are the highlights, or well, a highlight. The most interesting thing here is the idea or your use of the boundary. Regardless of intentions, you ended up in a very fertile ground to build a story and this is not apparent if you don't think about it. And I will explain what I mean.

If you think about this way, flash fic it a single moment or a snapshot. And short stories are a single scene or a relevant bit of life. In the grand scheme of things, the short story you wrote is the type that is a scene or a part of a bigger picture.

But! The question is which scene within the grand narrative of the world is it? The ending? The middle? Or the beginning?

Was the “outer” story, the story you did not tell, is it about the lovers' life leading to this point? or their life from this point on?

This may not seem relevant at all. But this is the point of fascination. Because young fiction, at least in my view, this will be the ending. The reason for this is the younger you are, the more significant this moment may be. To a youngster the move from no love to first love is a ground shaking thing, so to those readers, who is wrestling with their own ideas of love, this is the ending a goal if you will.

To a more mature audience, this is the beginning. Finding love be it first love or not, it not that significant after a few more years of livin'. The meat the juicy part of the story is what now?

So while you aimed for a boundary between lover and friends. That act of using first love as a subject you also found the boundary of maturity in the audience.

Of course, you can argue that a lot of stories for mature audiences do end with finding love as a “goal post” but I'd say love may not be the main point of those stories or they are still shades of young fiction in other clothes aka “RomCom”-ish stuff, it tastes good but so does junk food. Stories more mature audience desire or would remember, are something with a different bite, is one of where consequences are examined.

That is not to say either direction is good or bad, it just a separation of flavour. And the reason why there is a difference in flavour.

Interesting ain't it?

9. NZPIEFACE

NZPIEFACE Leecher

Reading List:
    Link
    @Omnifarious I find what you said very nice, but I think that the story @brasca123 wrote was the middle of the narrative in the grand scheme of things. It may have been the end of their relationship as just friends, and the beginning of their relationship as lovers, but in the end, it is only a midpoint of their relationship together once they look back upon it when they're older.

They're relationship did not just start now, it only changed, so I think that it is more fitting to view it as a form of middle ground, like the whole topic it was based on.

10. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    That's actually a pretty interesting view on it.

When I wrote the story, I didn't really think of it as a beginning or an end tbh, I just thought of it as a story in itself, since I didn't plan to continue it at all... But it is quite an interesting thing to ponder about.

Usually speaking, my view on it would be that the moment they do get their love, would be the end result, the goal and end... At the same time, putting it as the middle point, like @NZPIEFACE said, also works nicely, it's a part of the story, not the very thing that decides it.

Putting it as a beginning would be... A bit unexpected I think, maybe it could work as a prologue, to show how it starts before entering the narrative of their life together...

Quite some food for thought, when I write, I hardly have any plans on my mind, I just think of a very basic idea and let the ideas flow by themselves (in fact, I discovered when writing for NaNoWriMo, that I hate my work if I have a very well set plan for it, letting it flow naturally works a lot better for me), but thinking of what kind of point in my narrative I want to be the start of the love is... Definitely something that I haven't done before... I might play around with this kind of thing later on, see what I can find.

I appreciated the feedback, gave me something to maybe develop more in the future! \(^^)/

*wishes to give a like, but is at the limit... Again*

Omnifarious likes this.
  11. NZPIEFACE

NZPIEFACE Leecher

Reading List:
    Link
    Ahh, the classic, "The author said the curtains were blue, meaning it was fucking blue"

12. Omnifarious

Omnifarious Re: member

Reading List:
    Link
    I-I don't know what that means...

13. NZPIEFACE

NZPIEFACE Leecher

Reading List:
    Link
    Damnit man

Google is your friend.

14. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, he was more like analyzing a possibility than anything else, so it's not really a problem, rather, he gave me stuff to think about, so all is good! \(^^)/
    No worries! I had heard it before, but had completely forgotten about it as well! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

15. selkie

selkie [kuragehime] [jellyfish lover] [swish swish]

Reading List:
    Link
    Rush job for January.

This barely counts as a short story, because honestly it's more of a scene with no real point (and barely relates to the topic)! It's just a jumbling of thoughts!

Epilogue.

“You are a terrible liar.”

I turn my head back, and my former teammate, Julia, is standing there on the pool deck.

Behind her, the stars glitter in the moonlight sky, but the towering silhouette of tall lanky girl blocks the light. Long wavy hair still caked with dried pool salts ripples down her sides like a curtain. Although everyone had finished swimming hours ago, the familiar enduring scent of chlorine was still as heavy and intense as I ever remembered it.

I withdraw the tips of my toes from the surface of the water.

Taking my time, I fold my knees in closer to myself as I slowly rotate myself slightly on the concrete.

“It’s a lie that you forgot to bring a bathing suit,” Julia spoke bluntly.

I don’t respond right away, but I feel my heart clutching on the inside.

“Hm… is that so?” It’s all I can manage to say.

“I don’t understand you anymore, Cassie,” Julia’s voice was sharp, piercing like an arrow.

“The girl I knew from two years ago would have never forgotten her swim suit even if the world was ending. She always had three spares in case one got stretched out, and that swim-obsessed freak would even wear it to class under her clothes before practice.”

I hesitate a few moments before finding any words in response.

“That was in the past, Julia.”

I try to stand up so I can get back to the rest of the party, but Julia blocks my route of escape. Patricia, the former team vice-captain, had arranged a summer pool party for us alumni on the high school swim team to get together. It was already past seven o’clock, and everyone had already moved inside for the barbecue and dinner.

At this present moment, Julia and myself were alone on the pool deck under the starlit sky.

The night air was slightly chilly.

“You were the fastest of all of us. You, our captain, held more than half the school records. Because of you, we won the state title. I always admired you. I always wanted to surpass you. I was always jealous of you. You were the one who had a swimming scholarship for college. I simply don’t understand how you’re the only one of us who isn’t swimming anymore--”

Julia rattles off endlessly, but it doesn’t take very long before I’ve had enough.

I cut her off.

“Julia, it’s called burnout. It happens to a lot of people. I don’t swim anymore.”

My teammate is silenced immediately, and the expression on her face is frozen.

It’s only several moments later that she recovers enough to speak again.

“…I don’t understand… there were rumors about you…”

I push myself up to my feet and brushed some of the grit off my shorts.

“I think I’m going home,” I told her. “Seeing everyone at the reunion was nice… and I think it’s great that Patricia arranged all of this, but I think I should go. Good luck with your season.”

“W-Wait!” Julia tries to protest.

At that moment, another voice joins the fray.

“Julia, that’s enough.”

I turn my head around, and sure enough, there’s a confident but wild-looking short-haired girl standing there on the porch. She’s carrying a platter of chicken teriyaki on a stick in her hands.

It’s Patricia.

“Cass, I was wondering where you’ve been this entire time,” she calls out to me. “You missed Brian almost setting the kitchen on fire.” She laughs. “Anyways, you’re leaving? I was hoping you’d at least stay for dinner. We’ve barely talked at all, and I was hoping to catch up a bit.”

My fingers clench together.

Frankly, I was in a sour mood, and I could barely understand why I had come to this reunion in the first place. I didn’t swim anymore and I didn’t want to think about swimming (or anything related to it). If my mother hadn’t convinced me to come, I would have stayed home.

However, Patricia was one of my closest friends in high school.

I hadn’t stayed in touch with her through college, but she was basically my only friend back in those days.

She was… as buoyant and lively as I ever remembered. It made me feel slightly nostalgic for an instant.

While I’m slowly debating possible responses inside my head, Patricia passes the platter to Julia and asks her, “Can you take this back inside?” Then she bounds over to me and grabs my hand. She pulls me back over to the edge of the pool where I was sitting earlier, and she sits abruptly down with her legs crisscrossed, dragging me down with her.

“Yo! You were always spacey, but have you gotten even more absent-minded these past two years?” She teases me.

“I’m not—“ I begin to protest, but Patricia continues regardless.

She tosses off her flip flops and dips her toes into the water, flutter-kicking up some small waves and ripples in the water.

“Cass, I’ve always wanted to say this to you but… the truth is…”

There’s a pause for effect.

“I’ve always been seriously in love with you!! Please go out with me!”

She stares at me with a giddy frivolous eyes.

However, when she fails to elicit a reaction from me, she pouts.

“Aw, no response at all?”

I smile a little wryly.

“An A for effort,” I tell her.

Patricia laughs and looks up towards the sky. There’s a smile on her face.

For several moments, there’s some silence between us.

“You know,” Patricia suddenly says, “I’ve heard from Michael about a lot of what’s been going on.”

I look at her suddenly, a little surprised.

“…so you don’t need to hide it from me.”

“How did—?” I start saying, but Patricia’s voice drowns mine out.

“Don’t worry, I won’t tell the others. Of course, I’m sad that it ended up this way, but I wanted you know that I love you. Actually, the entire team still loves you, in the water or out. In the end, I only want you to do whatever makes you happiest. As the quote goes: ‘I does what I likes and I likes what I do,’ and that should be the only way it should be.”

Patricia stands up at this moment and glances back at me over her shoulder.

The conversation is so abrupt that I’m a little dizzy from how quickly it went by.

“Though, if you want my personal opinion, are you really happy right now, Cass?”

I blink my eyes slowly.

Patricia walks to her duffle bag on the bench and rummages through it.

Several seconds later, she tosses something through the dark, and I reflexively catch it.

I look in my hands, and it’s a blue swimming suit clenched in my fingers. It’s one of Patricia’s spares, but I know from experience that it fits me.

Alarmed, I glance up again. Patricia has a mirthful look in her face.

“Only just in case,” she teased semi-seriously. “In a bit, I’ll start a movie down in the basement with the rest of the team. You’re welcome to join us, but we both know you’re the anti-social type. I’m sorry Julia interrupted you on your date. They’ll be no prying eyes this time with everyone downstairs.”

“?! What date?”

I’m lost and a little dazed. As usual, Patricia and I are on entirely different paces.

“You looked very peaceful sitting at the edge of the pool earlier.”

My eyes widened.

“Ah! The flame is still on!” Patricia suddenly exclaims and quickly dips back inside the house. As she goes, she calls back: “You better not leave before saying goodbye though!”

I was alone again.

I looked at the still water that was in front of me.

Then I looked at the bathing suit that was in my hands.

Who was I kidding?

FIN.

Redo, jzar and Omnifarious like this.
  16. NZPIEFACE

NZPIEFACE Leecher

Reading List:
    Link
    *Looks at date*
    Fuck

17. Ruyi

Ruyi translator at CG

Reading List:
    Link
    Wow, sure is quiet here. *is waiting to read February submissions*

18. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    I still have one more day! I think I can make it! >.<

But yeah... Nobody made anything this month... orz

19. NZPIEFACE

NZPIEFACE Leecher

Reading List:
    Link
    Last man on Earth and/or blind guy?

I'll write a short one right now.

20. NZPIEFACE

NZPIEFACE Leecher

Reading List:
    Link
    "You see, I didn't originally think this would ever happen, I mean, who would? It's a crazy thought to think about in the first place, and even more ridiculous to actually believe.
    But reality is reality, and what happens, happens. Unfortunately, this means I'm not dreaming, I'm not high, nor am I insane."
    "I'm the fucking last man alive."

"... Well, I might count as crazy if this monologue counts, but... I've got nothing else to do. All the power is gone, all the food is rotting, and everything is just... quiet.
    I'm lucky I found a working tape recorder, I mean, I sure as hell wouldn't like to write my thoughts down on a piece of paper. It wouldn't last very long that way. Well, nor will this."

"Let me start from the beginning, to ease myself and reassure this is all true. It was a nice summer day for those in the Northern Hemisphere, the sun giving little effort to burn us alive. It was sudden, yes, but that's how all changes happen. Everyone just ...died. I'm not of a medical profession, but everyone just died. It's confusing, I know, I'm confused as well. But, that's how life is, no matter how many people are alive.
    Afterwards, I was scared that I would die as well, so I panicked and panicked, scared that something would come kill me as well. But nothing happened.
    So I decided to take a hike, away from the dead bodies and everything."

"Honestly, I think it was a good thing that I left. I don't want to stick around dead bodies all the time, even though I feel like I'll have to get used to it at some point. Or maybe not.
    I have enough food on me to last one, maybe two, months. The bodies should be gone then, and the bones should be all that's left.
    Maybe I'll go back then."

"I've been thinking, about why all the humans died, and why I'm still alive. I haven't found a plausible answer yet.
    It's really strange, because all animals are still alive. Even dolphins. It just doesn't make sense why? Though I guess the whole situation is ridiculous anyway."

"I found a nice stash of guns for hunting and self-defense, though I'm probably not going to go venture out into anything dangerous anyway. It'll still be useful though, who knows when I might need to shoot something? There's probably a boom in wild dogs or something with all the corpses left to eat."

"Well, it's been a short while, but unsurprisingly, I've almost run out of tape. I really hopes this lasts. Who knows? Maybe someone will find it one day. Good bye."

Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
    Ruyi likes this.