Discussion RTS games

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by ManFries, Jan 15, 2017.

1. Shining Stella

Shining Stella Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    RTS game Age of Empires and Shogun Total War 2 are good game. I am playing Age of Empires because of being influent
    by my friends and I'm playing Shogun Total War 2 when i getting bored with the medieval setting of Age of Empires.

2. ManFries

ManFries The only fries you'll ever need

Reading List:
    Link
    btw have you guys heard the game glest before? an rts game

3. winter woods

winter woods [no Title]

Reading List:
    Link
    dont know what others said but starcraft2 is still goin ...

4. NZPIEFACE

NZPIEFACE Leecher

Reading List:
    Link
    I play WC3 every so often. Still need to finish the campaign though.,..

5. winter woods

winter woods [no Title]

Reading List:
    Link
    0___0 warcraft 3 ??? still havent finished the campaign?

6. NZPIEFACE

NZPIEFACE Leecher

Reading List:
    Link
    I play it every so often

7. winter woods

winter woods [no Title]

Reading List:
    Link
    ok,.... please just do finish the campaign ...

8. NZPIEFACE

NZPIEFACE Leecher

Reading List:
    Link
    Up to the cut scene where Arthur kills his dad

9. winter woods

winter woods [no Title]

Reading List:
    Link
    so no undead play ...

10. NZPIEFACE

NZPIEFACE Leecher

Reading List:
    Link
    Aye, I'm rather excited for when I can finally finish my backlog of novels, anime, manga, and games so I can continue it.

Or when I can make time for it myself.

winter woods likes this.
  11. LostArc

LostArc Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    RTS games are harder to get into for kids these days since it relies on heavy macro and theorycrafting, while Mobas generally don't need to and are more casual which is a majority of 'gamers' today. There would be less 'gamers' today without mobile games, mobas, and annual rinse and repeat shooters. I played Mobas before they were even called Mobas and am quite bored with the genre now. I played Aeon of Strife and moved onto WC3's mod Dota before this genre exploded. It was rather unexpected, also a lot of mobile games today were originally mods on WC3 and SC.

winter woods likes this.
  12. winter woods

winter woods [no Title]

Reading List:
    Link
    agreed , people this days dont care about micro managing and good strategy , aside this i find the feeling of building a base from scratch more satisfying than playing an fps or moba games.

13. sealteam14

sealteam14 Your friendly HI3 SEA monkey farmer

Reading List:
    Link
    Starcraft, Red Alert( old peice of gem), sometime looking up for Tower defense.
    Oh, have you heard Tower Offense type?
    Is J2ME platfom count? Since i still play Art Of War 2 Online, and Art Of War 3 Global Conflict...

14. Ai chan

Ai chan Queen of Yuri, Devourer of Traps, Thrusted Witch

Reading List:
    Link
    Command and Conquer
    My favourite was Red Alert 2, Red Alert 3 is significantly better, but it didn't have the oompf of Red Alert 2 when it first came out.
    Generals (both the original and Zero Hour) was good. Played it to death. Enemy AI is dumb though, no matter at which level of difficulty
    The Tiberium series never caught on with me. I played the original, of course, and I played Tiberium Wars. It was fun for its era, but it didn't really make me want to play it again.
    Dune 2000 while technically wasn't a C&C, was made using the same engine as C&C and Red Alert. It was somewhat good when it first came out. The engine was somewhat outdated when it came out, but it was a good experience. Its sequel was terrible. The whole thing was dark. It's like the whole battlefield is under permanent eclipse. Increasing gamma and contrast only ends up making my eyes tired. Couldn't even go through the 4th mission because my eyes were tired and I had a headache. Uninstalled on the same day.

Warcraft
    Warcract: Orcs and Humans wasn't all that good. They have a good idea, but the game design wasn't really well thought out. For example, you build roads in that game. But that's fine. In its day it was pretty cool. If I'm not mistaken, it was one of the first games that allowed right clicks, though it also had an option to use left clicks entirely. It was also one of the few games in its time that used CG movies.
    Warcraft 2 and its expansion was awesome in its time. It was fun and they did away with the road building altogether, but you couldn't build walls anymore. Oh well, at least it streamlined the game and made it faster paced. Yeah, I'm saying 'faster paced' somewhat generously. Even back then it wasn't really fast paced and although there was a multiplayer option, people don't really play it multiplayer. Still, I really hate how I couldn't save Lothar.
    Warcraft 3 changed all that, by introducing a fully 3D world, heroes, hero levels and hero inventories in its bid to give more emphasis on heroes, something Warcraft 2 failed to do. To reduce load on the processor and allow wider range of hardward to be able to play them, they introduced the upkeep limit. In Frozen Throne they raised this limit after seeing that there was no significant impact on player hardware. People say Warcraft 3 sucks, but you must understand, Warcraft 2 and 3 was merely a functional testbed for Starcraft. Everything they want to implement in Starcraft that they aren't sure of, they implement it on Warcraft first. Plus, this is the birthplace of DotA!

Starcraft
    Starcraft was legendary when it first came out. Not only was it revolutionary, it was also one of the few games you could play on Windows NT! It took the strengths of Warcraft 2 and added strengths of its own, such as the revolutionary 'attack move'. Yes, it was revolutionary at that time. Take note that when Starcraft first came out, people were still playing games like Seven Kingdoms and Red Alert, and your units will simply walk past the enemies unless you specifically tell them to attack. Starcraft handled everything, allowing you to focus your attention on the bigger picture.
    Starcraft 2 is without a doubt, one of the most popular RTS we have currently. You think it ended with Legacy of the Void? Think again. The game is not at all dead. Blizzard released scenarios after scenarios and the ability to choose your commanders for playing these scenarios. And each scenario was unique.

Empire Earth
    People who were born in the late 70s and 80s will most definitely remember Empire Earth. While Empire Earth 1 was not really interesting, it had some unique quirks and high replayability value. Empire Earth 2 was totally awesome back in its day. The 3D human characters were... well... it was totally ugly. However, it was a game light on your processors and GPU and it was on the same level of replayability as Starcraft. It was really fun distracting my brother with a bunch of musketeers doing its very worse trying to bring down a tower, only for me to swarm the back of his base by cutting down the trees and smuggling an even larger number of musketeers outside his LoS.

Lord of the Rings: Battle for Middle Earth
    Was one of my favourite games. It's a casual game that you can play with friends with all kinds of magics and area effect spells. It can be slow at times, but the sheer epicness of the game makes it worth your time. You think your soldiers and archers are proceeding well ahead of schedule? Too bad, there's a worm that spews fire on your units coming out of the ground! You don't have the heavy troops, so you have to make do with your swordsmen and archers. You killed the worm, but the only troop you have left is one archer unit. Oh well, back to base.

Now for the more difficult ones

Commandos
    Lots of stuff to do, with lots of factors to take into account. I'm sad to say that I never managed to finish playing the first commandos. It was a good game, but it wasn't for me.

Men of War
    This is an absolute beast of a game. You need a very quick mind and very quick fingers. Why? Because every soldier, every tank, every weapon implacement and whatever else you have in there have its own inventory. You can share supplies, redistribute ammunition, change weapons, change shells, fix broken equipment and vehicles, place mines, snipe specific parts of an equipment (I most commonly snipe the tracks of a tank so that artillery can make short work of it) and commandeer an abandoned vehicle. Also there is no production building. You have your people and over time you got reinforcement points which you can use to summon all kinds of reinforcements from outside the map. Different missions have different reinforcements. I cheated on that mission where the Soviets had to hold the line at the port so that the ships could escape.

You set a Tiger on fire and its crew runs out? Shoot the crew and recrew the Tiger tank once it's no longer on fire, assuming it's not destroyed. Then use it to shoot at other Tigers, don't forget to change the shells first. AP shells punch through tanks better while Explosive shells have better chance of beating up infantry and walls. But wait, you're out of AP shells! No problem, see that Tiger tank over there? You don't have time to fix it, but you can certainly loot its contents. Grab the fuel too while you're at it. Too bad your Sherman tank shells can't be used on your stolen Tiger tank. Oh damn! They're sending bomber planes! Quick, summon flak cannon reinforcements. Summon anti-tank too! My machine gunners are all dead! Summon more soldiers, recrew those machine guns! Captain, I'm out of ammunition! Then go loot someone!

Now, this is all fun and fine when you have a handful of tanks and a dozen of soldiers. But imagine you have one hundred soldiers, 4 tanks of various kind, one flak implacement, 3 anti-tank, 2 half track, 3 trucks to tow the anti-tanks and you have enemies coming at you, spread across a long front. By the time you're done with the battle, regardless of victory or defeat, you will be absolutely exhausted. You will be crying and saying "Please god, I don't want to fight anymore."

Company of Heroes
    It plays out much like Men of War, but a lot more casual and without the level of complexity Men of War offered. For example, you don't have inventories in Company of Heroes, preferring the level of casual play that Starcraft 2 affords. If you want to play Men of War but you can't cope with Men of War, Company of Heroes is your game. It's a good, solid game. Well-built levels and good variety. Unfortunately, there's a problem with Company of Heroes (the first one) where it loses texture and colour when played on Windows 7 with unsupported graphics card. Company of Heroes 2 have no such problem. CoH 2 base game was considered good, but not as great as its predecessor, until CoH2: The Ardennes Offensive came out. It took an OK game into a GREAT game. I still wish it allows lower graphics preference, though. My graphics card barely handle it although the gameplay is smooth for me.

For the record, I don't consider the Total War series as RTS. You can pause to issue orders. That's not RTS. If you want to bastardize it, you can call it 'pausable RTS', but it's not true RTS. Same can be said for Paradox grand strategy games such as Hearts of Iron. If you have a slow enough processor, you can see the units actually taking turns moving. This is most obvious in Stellaris.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2017
    Astaroth and winter woods like this.
  15. Astaroth

Astaroth empty

Reading List:
    Link
    To be fair early undead campaign is the worst part in both RoC and TFT. The first mission in both is to simply kill villagers...

Fighting High elves (RoC) and Blood Elf + Naga (TFT) isn't too bad, but the first impressions really suck and the first couple of missions are better skipped with cheat codes to be honest.

Orc and NE are easily the best parts in RoC, the hunter of shadows, by demons be driven and battle of mount hyjal in particular.

Eh reminder that unlike every other game before it Starcraft only allow you to control 8 units at a time intentionally, e.g. age of empires 2 age of kings had 30 unit control groups.

You couldn't order workers to gather minerals or vespene automatically, every time you build one you have to click it and order it manually.

Unit pathing is a mess, especially dragoons they're extra dumb. Oh and by the way the reason workers ignore pathing while they're mining is because of a bug which made them get stuck so they had to make a last second fix to make them simply ignore collision.

Not to mention that to begin with Starcraft was actually meant to simply be a filler game between warcraft to earn money, it was even originally meant to be called orcs in space...
    "StarCraft as it appeared in June 1996 at the Electronic Entertainment Expo."
    [​IMG]

Here's some interesting articles to read: http://www.codeofhonor.com/blog/tough-times-on-the-road-to-starcraft
    http://www.codeofhonor.com/blog/starcraft-orcs-in-space-go-down-in-flames
    (not really that related, but cool anyway: http://www.dallasobserver.com/news/stormy-weather-6427649)

The game itself isn't dead and personally I like the coop and the nova missions aren't that bad from what I can tell, but nothing has compared to the original WoL campaign imo, especially NOT HotS, but it's not bad.

The pro scene has been going downhill ever since hots however, and it was like a month or two ago that SKT, KT, CJ Entus, Samsung and MVP disbanded their starcraft 2 teams, and the entire SC2 proleague is disbanded.

I don't play ladder anymore ever since HotS so I don't know how it is currently, but I think it's pretty safe to say that WoL was starcraft 2's heyday.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2017
    Ai chan likes this.
  16. winter woods

winter woods [no Title]

Reading List:
    Link
    yep but the later parts are cool and man i do hate the night elf campaign , i like seeing arthas get ruined so the human campagin for me and fighting as orcs for survival was kindda fun

17. deathcoy

deathcoy Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    RTS is dying, i won't be surprised if we'll only see RTS in the indie scene in the years to come.

If you're looking for some good real time tactics you can give Total War: Warhammer a shot. Its pretty fun but beware the DLCs, they're friggin expensive.

winter woods likes this.
  18. winter woods

winter woods [no Title]

Reading List:
    Link
    and beware that theyre needed

19. TheOneTrueApex

TheOneTrueApex Illegitimate Young Master|Sadistic Male Lead|Laozi

Reading List:
    Link
    RTS has, unfortunately, never been that big here in the PH. Hell, throughout my High School and University years, almost 90% of the tactics I've seen people play with are:
    >Turtle up and build base
    >Train as much high-tiered soldiers as possible
    >Swarm the enemy upon reaching the population cap
    And this tactic has persisted from Red Alert 2, Star Craft, Warcraft, Battle Realms, Generals, and Tiberuim Wars. (Games such as the Total War Series, Company of Heroes, and Dawn of War didn't make it big here. mainly because such games didn't give you much room for a mindless swarm tactic and the average game rig you'd find in internet cafes couldn't handle them). Closest thing to RTS that the usual gamers play here are DoTA, LOL, HON, etc. Such a shame, really.

Sadly, I think you're right. This is why I hate it when games get dumbed-down to cater to casual gamers. sigh.

Played Total War: Warhammer as well. Gotta admit, before it came out, I thought they were gonna apply Total War mechanics to the 40k universe which made go "whuuuut?". Glad I was wrong and the made use of Warhammer Fantasy instead.

Though I'm not optimistic about Warhammer maintaining their RTS flag. After all, they've branched out to other genres like the action game Spehss Mehree... Space Marine.

winter woods likes this.