Discussion Release That Witch

Discussion in 'Novel Discussion' started by I Eat Monsanto, Jan 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Raine

Raine Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    they do become strong but not in Close combat were muscle is needed, usually is some type of magic or bow and arrow type fighting, only a few females fight head on like a body refining Male, but the females still posses power, they might not be the strongest in the world but in the end they do still posses the ability to do super human stuff

2. Nordic

Nordic The Lazy Cat

Reading List:
    Link
    I would say the reason why people are mad at him is because he demands equality of a fantasy world, instead of stating in a reasonable way he demands it. I personally don't understand where he is coming from as I can't feel any vibes of inequality between genders even being a theme in the novel. So in the end OP is being quite unreasonable in his framing of the issue and demands for it to be different, instead of asking is there any male witches and is there a reason why they aren't any.

I also highly disagree with his approach of trying to force equality in novels especially with a medieval setting as it simply makes no sense with the author being quite realistic in a lot of regards. I can't justify crucifying a work that isn't trying to drive gender inequality for having certain elements with gender bias, OP is basically saying we can't make a 99% male knight story because females weren't really in a position to become knights a lot of the time and it wasn't socially acceptable. Anyway the OP brought it upon himself by making a thread framed in a way that pisses people off and brought gender equality to a fantasy setting in similar fashion to how US media makes everything about race if they can.

Astaroth likes this.
  3. fingerplay

fingerplay Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I say just drop it if you don't like it. Coz if not you'll get a cancer .

4. Robbini

Robbini Logical? Illogical? Random? Or Just Unique?

Reading List:
    Link
    I had a conversation with an anon about this a few days ago, but the point of the conversation was simply that 'There are no Male Witches'. Witches can cover a wide variety of skills, but I can't think of any male equivalent term which covers all the same ones. Warlocks cover some of them, Sorcerors some, and so on, but no one 'title' covers exactly the same ones.

And then look at that name. Release That Witch. It's obvious it'll feature witches.

As for Wheel of Time, men used saidin for magic and women used saidar , they're something like magical wellsprings they can draw power from when performing magic. At the end of the last great conflict the Dark One had 'cursed' the saidin to make anyone using it crazy more or less. And men usually had more magical power, so it was a very good move of his to do that.

I mean, if you know that any man who will use magic will inevitably at some point go mad, would you really let them roam free?
    That being said, Rand did manage to eventually purify it, so men could freely use magic again, and Logain made some choices that would make people think much differently about men using magic.

Now, as for the probability of someone becoming a Witch is actually somewhat relatively low. First they have to show their powers, otherwise you can't actually know if they're a witch or not. Secondly, after some time after that there's an awakening they have to go through, and that kills many of the prospective witches as well, so there aren't that many.

So just consider it a random but rare genetic constitution. And if you complain that witches have too much power, gender inequality and all that, consider that it's a PATRIARCHAL society, so men actually have all the power, and witches have been propagandad as being evil and all that, so they're usually killed on sight.

So, would you rather be of the somewhat larger group who have an easier time in life, or would you be in an extremely small group of one gender , and be hunted throughout your entire life because of something you can't control?

5. Alexander12

Alexander12 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    wow didnt know that
    Thanks that explains why guys cant pilot it as the creator of the mechs didnt want them to
    Thanks for the explanation

6. monstermaaaaan

monstermaaaaan title tile

Reading List:
    Link
    a man who practices wiccan arts is called a pagan

7. Robbini

Robbini Logical? Illogical? Random? Or Just Unique?

Reading List:
    Link
    A pagan is generally anyone who worships any religion / mythology which is not one of the offical established ones, wiccan being among them I believe.

8. monstermaaaaan

Reading List:
    Link
    nop they just use pagan as an insult similarly to witch
    edit: seems as though i am wrong here :V

9. Azure

Azure The True Blue Sky

Reading List:
    Link
    And the fact that you didn't name a single one, is the point. I'll turn on a dime if you prove me wrong.

I Eat Monsanto likes this.
  10. soulji_og

soulji_og Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes, but would you complain if there wasn't a brienne of tarth. if i wrote a sword fighting novel right now where men were genetically stronger and as hard as women tried they couldn't complete with male sword fighters. As such in this world there are zero women fighters.

In this world all the supernaturally strong people are men. The "strong" women are only smart. They only use there wits. They can't compete physically with the men. They use tactics and guile. Ask yourself. Seriously. Would this bother you?

11. skankhunt42

skankhunt42 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The Magic Power mentioned in the novel has not been scientifically explained yet. It is also said that devils have the ability to use magic power better than witches. Therefore, it is not impossible for MC to figure out the secrets of magic and how to use it, whether it is due to a difference in physiology which makes males unable to wield magic power. The secret behind why witches cannot get pregnant is also left unexplained.

12. Littledragonlady

Littledragonlady The last member of Ancient Tomb Sect

Reading List:
    Link
    This is purely the ?!#%??est thread i ever see @Parth37955

The novel has not ended. We dont even know why witches cant procreate, not to mention why magic power only manifested on girls.

It is safe to assume that those are the mystery of the story, and you did no justice to the novel by making this thread.

It could also be seen that the background of witches and church thingie has some similarity with the actual witches execution period in our HISTORY. Why not say how those people used to burn girls, and not boys? It is stupid, but people did it anyway. In real world.

Forgive my rambling. I obviously need sleep

13. iormunger15

iormunger15 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think the comment about the Wheel of Time series is borne out of not knowing much about the series. and that is the same about RTW too. The author is still building a complex world with a long, rich history.

WoT is is not about Women being super OP and beating on men. Both men and women could become extremely powerful in the past and the most powerful magician is a man. The men and women have different pools of natural power they draw upon and the main villain poisons(i think) the source of power that males use to ensure his strongest enemy goes mad. And any male magician who appears henceforth has gone mad because of this. This has led (as you have observed) to some countries and societies in that world to revere women as they are more powerful. And this has given rise to many misandrists among the women. The same way that many of our societies and cultures revere men as they have been traditionally more powerful and has given rise to prevalence of patriarchal ideas and misogynistic men. I thought it was interesting commentary on gender politics. It is very simplistic to just describe it in a way that makes it seem as a man bashing novel.

When it comes to RTW, we need to understand that there is a big gap between personal power and real power. MNost CN cultivation novels are based on the idea that personal power is all important while RTW is more 'real' and that means having allies, building up a strong economy and society and having a huge support network to help the MC as become more powerful. The best part of the series is that noone is powerful by themselves. The witches are incredible powerful individually but have a terrible standing in society and they can't even nourish their power. Roland has powerful ideas and technology but is weak without both the witches and normal people. Even the Church, the most powerful group both militarily, socially and economically and ironically portrays themselves as representative of the 'normal' people rely on the witches for their powerful armies.

So making it so simplistic just ruins the whole idea of the novel. For me it doesn't matter if Roland learns magic (though it would be cool).

14. monstermaaaaan

Reading List:
    Link
    this is well extremely well written for some just rando comment (y)

15. monstermaaaaan

Reading List:
    Link
    def need sleep parth ain't even here to stop this beauty thank the gods almighty

16. iormunger15

iormunger15 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    My first NUF post. LOL

17. monstermaaaaan

Reading List:
    Link
    gold star m80 gold star

18. Dusk

Dusk Monochrome

Reading List:
    Link
  19. Astaroth

Astaroth empty

Reading List:
    Link
    Right, it's pretty idiotic how OP made it and what he actually demand, I don't agree with him at all.

The thing is though, that's exactly how the whole feminism & racism agenda works as well, so it's hilariously ironic how OP is being told that he's a sexist and misogynist for demanding unreasonable "equality".

It's like "There's too much men / too few women in Games and these are unrealistic expectations of women to have those big breasts" (And at the same time there's macho guys with 6 packs and giant biceps, unrealistic representation of men) and such, but now all of a sudden some random idiot is upset that there's a novel that seemingly has women with magic but no men.

It just goes to show that being "sexist" has nothing to do with equality and that it has everything to do with how Women should have preferential treatment.

20. soulji_og

soulji_og Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Let's assume I was lying and I've never read a book, where women were incapable of reaching the physical levels of men and were only damsels in distress'. Let's assume i'm not just lazy.

if i wrote a sword fighting novel right now where men were genetically stronger and as hard as women tried they couldn't complete with male sword fighters. In this world men were just bigger and stronger. Let's say men we just 2x as big genetically. As such in this world there are zero women fighters.

In this world all the supernaturally strong people are men. The "strong" women are only smart. They only use there wits. They can't compete physically with the men. They use tactics and guile. Ask yourself. Seriously. Would this bother you? Would it even register as strange? Would you have posted your posts about this hypothetical book in defense of "equality"? What would you have felt about this hypothetical world?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.