(Monthly) Short Story Writing Prompts Submission Thread

Discussion in 'Community Creations' started by AliceShiki, Oct 22, 2016.

?

June's Topic!

Poll closed May 21, 2018.
  1. Fictogemino

6 vote(s)
    60.0%
  2. The Hero Proposed to me, but I'm the Demon King (or queen!)

1 vote(s)
    10.0%
  3. Lights Out

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Sinners

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Continue A Story (Feel free to choose any of the 3)

3 vote(s)
    30.0%
  1. NZPIEFACE

NZPIEFACE Leecher

Reading List:
    Link
    kk

2. Omnifarious

Omnifarious Re: member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmm... the situation being what it is, it's probably unwise for me to give and unsolicited feedback... and if I did it would not be helpful since no one will have a clue what I am talking about.

Gives up
    Packs bags
    Goes home

3. Phillipsi

Phillipsi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Word Count: 736
    Genre: OP MC, Cool MC, Fighting bosses
    Synopsis: A day of the life of the Ultimate Magus Vector Vessalius, doing awesome things like hunting various dangerous species of botanical lifeforms and fighting off a demon woman.
    You may have heard of me.
    My name is famous throughout this world of Arius.
    I am....
    *drumroll*
    Ultimate Multielement Magus, Vector Vessalius!
    You must be surprised huh? See my cool sounding name? See my cool sounding title? Isn't it cool?
    Uh....no? Are you sure? V-E-C-T-O-R-space-V-E-S-S-A-L-I-U-S! VECTOR! VESSALIUS! I'm a goddarn Ultimate Multielement Magus, for God's sake! You must be too shy to admit it! Hahaha!
    "Edward! What are you doing there, talking to a tree?"
    Look at these well-built muscles! Look at my gleaming sword! O-of course I'm a magus! I-I'm a magic swordsman!
    "Eeeed-warrrrd!"
    Yes, that's it! I am the UltielementMagus....shoot. Bit my tongue. Uh, the Ultimate Multielement Magus! I am destined to save the w-Ooof! A-A punch, right to the gut...That hurt...
    "What the hell are you doing! Can't you see I'm in the middle of something important?"
    "You call talking to trees important? Enough to ignore me calling you for ten times already? Grow up, Edw-"
    Ummm.....this girl is my assistant! Yes, my lab assistant! Although she has a nasty temper she-ooooowchhhhhies!!!!
    "Who gave you the permission to cover my mouth when I'm lecturing you! Go die!"
    O-Of course(ow), th-the kicks (ow) d-dont hurt at allllllllllllloooooowwwwwww! Uh, slip of the mouth just then.
    "What's wrong with calling you Edward?!!!"
    "Sh-shut up! My majestic name is Vector Vessalius! The Ultielement Magu-Uh....the Ultimate Multielement Magus!"
    "Yes, yes. Now get back to work and help me pick the herbs. You've been fooling around for half the day already."
    "Stuuuuupid. A great magus like me doesn't need to resort to petty tasks such as picking herbs. They are reserved for lowly personnel such as yo-gahhhhh!"
    "Call me stupid one more time and I'll pick off your head. If you want to stay stuck at rank F- for the rest of your life, I suggest you continue doing what you're doing."
    "I'm sorry."
    Um......as you can see, my gorilla like assist-
    "Gorilla your face."
    M-my violent assis-
    "I dare you to say that again."
    My mentally challenged and ill a-
    "I can make YOU mentally challenged AND physically challenged right now."
    My assistant.....................?
    Whew. Anyway, my assistant does acts like these because she doesn't realize how great I am! I am a rank SSS+ magus-guehhhhh!
    "Rank F- adventurer."
    (Self-conferred) rank SSS+ magus. I am-Y-yes! I'll go! I'll go pick herbs right now!
    *cough cough*
    Oh? You want to see my skills as a rank SSS+ Ultimate Multielement Magus? Fuahahaha! You have finally recognized my greatness! As a payment of your respect to this great magus, I shall now demonstrate some magic to you!
    Flames first! Oh boy, I am the best with flame magic! Now just wait over here while I make some preparations!
    Goddarn it, what's wrong with this stick. I've twirled it on the other stick for a hundred times, yet smoke won't even come out, much less fire.......W-wait! What are you doing here?!!! I told you to wait back there! Didn't you hear me?
    Umm...the fire....about that......well, the fire energy in the surroundings were really sparse, so I couldn't conjure up my Great Fireball Shower Manifestation Destruction today....
    *cough cough*
    Uh.....h-how about wind? Let me just take a drink of water for a second....
    O-Oh! I can feel the wind particles gathering! Special wind technique, Shattering Roar Cannon of Wind!!!!!!
    Boom! Boom! Bang Bang! Crack Crack! Kshk ksh......don't look at me! O-of course I'm not making any weird sound effects! Look that way!
    Boom! Boo-hey! I told you to look that wa-guekkk!
    "What did I say about burping in the forest while gathering herbs..."
    "............."
    "What. Did. I. Say???"
    ".....Cover my mouth while burping...."
    "Remember that next time."
    Aghhh....my annoying assist-
    "Shut up."
    Uh....m-my caring assistant usually barges in like this in the most inopportune of times.
    "And get up. I'm done with my 50 stalks. What about you?"
    "I am the Ultimate Multielement Magus Vector Vessalius! I don't need no stalks! You have my permission to make 48 of those a gift to the grand me-gakkk!"
    "So you only picked two, I see. WHAT. THE. HECK. HAVE. YOU. BEEN. DOING?"
    I think I'll first resolve this problem before showing the rest of my magic to you. I'll have to discipline this little assistant-agh!
    Uh....I'll have to teach.........uh......haha.....I was joking.....
    Um.....talk with this assistant of mine.
    We will definitely meet again! Mwahahaha!
    Actual genre: comedy, chunni disease
    If you didn't already figure it out, not that it wasn't obvious enough, but this guy has eighth grade syndrome, or chunnibyou. Not going to say to what degree, but it seems pretty heavy.

4. NZPIEFACE

NZPIEFACE Leecher

Reading List:
    Link
    It's not 8th-grade syndrome.

It's Deadpool-syndrome, where he breaks the fourth wall at every opportunity during his dialogue with others.

5. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    Ugh... That's why I said you should ignore that idiot... orz

I'm a lot happier to have new people writing than I am to see someone leaving because they don't like their own story...

I kinda read amateur writing everyday, and even my own writings are amateur as well... I have plenty of fun reading and trying to give feedback on what I can.

Seeing someone getting discouraged because an idiot doesn't know how to not be an idiot when giving feedback is quite sad for me...

6. Pyoo

Pyoo ☀ Summer Melody ☀

Reading List:
    Link
    Word Count: 480
    Genre: Bleak. Slice of Life?
    Topic: Another Day, Another Adventure
    Synopsis: The best way to have another day, as an adventurer, is to stay safe. This character is the epitome of that.
    "Raider couldn't come back yesterday"
    "Did we get back the body?"
    "Nah, taken by the Yeti to their cave"
    I scratched my chin.Getting eaten by yetis isn't the nicest story to say to the family. There's no glory in that, just gruesome death, torn apart and eaten alive. "Who's gonna deliver the news?"
    "The boss is going, since he's a close friend. It should have been Crimson tho."
    "Oh, he came back?"
    "Yeah, just him. he's there holding on to Risa's staff."
    "First death he's seen I guess," shrugging I went to the staff to take my usual quest.

Raider's death is a pity. She just started settling down and rising up.
    "Comes with the job, sadly."
    "Hmm? Yes?" The young staff was surprised by my solemn greeting. "Morning Mr. Brown. The usual boar today?"
    "Yeah, just my usual Tuesday."
    "Alright, I've registered you for that, please stay safe."
    "Always," I turned and headed straight to the forest. My steps showing my familiarity with my route.

Just my usual Tuesday.

Since adventurers have a high mortality rate, it's important to stay safe. So, I made myself a plan, to ensure I have another day ahead. Mondays start off nice and easy, going to the mountain for herbs. Tuesdays are for boars. Wednesdays are for some goblins, so on Thursdays I go to the lake to get herbs and magical waters. On Fridays, I do construction work and odd jobs. Saturdays are for mining and I get to rest on Sundays and only set up traps. "It's a dangerous world, doesn't mean I have to live dangerously."

Arriving at the eastern forest, I went to check on the traps I laid last Sunday. This part of the forest has always been a place with many boars and a day or two is enough to catch them.

Bam. Bam.

I hid behind trees and bushes and slowly approached the sound. It's right where I had set up my trap.

Bam.

It was a young boar. Ramming the trees nearby. Suspicious, I looked up to my trap. As expected, there's a boar there squealing at the smaller boar below it. Sigh. A mother huh. Sorry kiddo, a man's gotta eat. I pointed my rifle at it and carefully aims for when it rams the tree in front of it before pulling the trigger.

Bang.
    "Squeee"
    Clack. Slip. Clack. Kachick.
    Bang.

Creak creak.

The rope creak from the momentum of the shot. I quickly took down the boar hanging from my trap and disassembled the trap, storing it in my bag. Bringing 2 boars will be troublesome alone, but I'll manage. I tied the bigger boar to carry it over my back and carried the smaller one on my arm. Throwing my bag and gun on my shoulder, I headed back.

Another day, another adventure done.
    And another day to look forward to tomorrow.

Author's note:
    Damn finding the appropriate onomatopoeia is so hard.. what sounds was I supposed to use for putting a new bullet in a rifle and snapping it back together or something. And cocking a gun.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
  7. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    Try making it a bit longer Pyoo-chan! >.<

It's nice though! \(^^)/

8. NZPIEFACE

NZPIEFACE Leecher

Reading List:
    Link
    Kachick maybe?

9. Minaku

Minaku Writer

Reading List:
    Link
    Word count: 1331
    Genre: I have no idea.
    Topic: Another Day, Another Adventure.
    Synopsis: The town's favorite old man and his daily tasks.
    Title: "Sandwich"

Sandwich.

In the humble border town of Hoggie, lives an interesting old man. Everyone seems to know his name. They say he used to be an Earl. For his name was the “Earl of Sandwiches”. He spends his days doing the most amusing things.

Each day he would wake up early and greet the town baker, Mr. Stufinoven. He would pick up his daily order of fresh bread and giddily skip back home with them in a large paper bag. Here’s what Mr. Stufinoven had to say about the Earl.

“He’s really a kind old man. When my bakery was going through some tough times, he helped out. His only reason was that he required bread daily so it would be sad to see me go.”

Mr. Stufinoven said with a heartwarming smile on his pudgy face.

After returning home with his daily bread, the Earl would go visit the bazaar. Due to being a border town, Hoggie gets a surprisingly large amount of caravans and traders bringing in goods from all the seven nations and seas.

It was at the bazaar that the Earl, wearing the most gaudy purple vest you have ever laid your eyes upon, does what he loves most. Purveying and purchasing ingredients.

Every single merchant who visits often knows about him. They would sometimes say, “Here comes Mr. Purple Earl. Quick bring out your most expensive exotic food stuffs.”

And as if a mouse had caught sight of its favorite brie, the Earl would immediately stop at the small stall and purchase said expensive food stuff.

No one knows where he got his money from, but it seemed endless. Every single merchant in the bazaar set their sights on the Earl’s endless pockets. Whenever they travel, they purposely seek out the most exotic and bizarre foods.

Several merchants have made a killing selling those rare ingredients to the Earl…And the Earl enjoys buying rare things just as much!

Every time he gets his hands on something exotic, he would smile from ear to ear. And when he walks, he would have a skip in his step.

By the time the clock tower in the center of the bazaar struck twelve, the Earl would have finished his rounds and skips back home pushing a wheelbarrow of strangely delicious looking goods.

They range from sea buffalo jerky, sun ostrich eggs, demonizing mustard vine, century old pumpkin seeds, screaming chili peppers, polka dotted smiley fish, inverted guava paralyzing juice, leaf of pink basil, and sometimes even an rack of minotaur ribs.

The local kids would love to visit the Earl on his trip back home from the bazaar. The Earl would explain each and every ingredient with an elaborate tale. It was as if he was there getting the ingredients himself!

Of course, the bazaar wasn’t the only place the Earl gets his goods. After he returns home with the wheelbarrow and empties it, he once again pushes it to the adventurer’s guild.

Those brave adventurers conquer strong dungeons, explore new and dangerous lands, and even kill the unkillable.

The Earl was every adventurer’s favorite guy…He was their meal ticket.

The Earl buys everything that is edible…literally everything.

From goblin steak to slime jelly, from orc chops to wolf thighs, even naga fillets and undead sorcerer bones.

Everything the adventurers get, the Earl purchases. But he always only get one of each.

In the past, the adventurers use to fight each other for the chance to sell their spoils to the Earl. After some intervention from the guild, they now have a rotational system.

Some adventurers who were looking at the bulletin board came and said hello to the Earl.

“Hey old man, here again for your daily purchases?”

The front counter receptionist said.

For some reason many people expected a pretty and beautiful guild receptionist…but that isn’t optimal. They need someone who can haggle, someone who can stop disputes…a manly man man with muscles.

The receptionist they found…was retired muscle-for-hire/knight, Sir Wellington.

Already getting on with age, Sir Wellington retired to the town he was born in and found a desk job….that job being the receptionist for the adventurers’ guild.

The Earl nodded with excitement. He was a man with few words.

“We got a big haul today so most of the stuff are out back, let me bring you.”

Sir Wellington glared at the adventurers to keep them quiet before he left with the Earl.

In the yard behind the guildhall was a huge pile of flesh and bones.

The Earl once again smiled from ear to ear when he saw what was in the pile.

“Yep, our ace adventurer manage to snag us a piece of basilisk.”

Sir Wellington said with a smile.

“Just a piece though, the slippery bastard ran off after one of his legs got sliced off.”

Sir Wellington laughed.

The Earl eagerly examined the rest of the pile. He took out from his pocket a sack of gold and threw it to Sir Wellington.

Finally, he said something.

“Thanks Beef, I’ll see you tomorrow.”

The Earl said while struggling to shove everything onto his wheelbarrow.

“Sure thing.”

Sir Wellington said back with a smile.

Thus the Earl returned home with his wheelbarrow. This time, without skipping due to the sheer weight of his gains.

The Earl that everyone loved…for his money.

By the time he finally got back home, the sun was setting and dusk had set. The orange and purple hue painted the skies above as the Earl lit up candles around his house one by one.

His quint house isn’t a mansion, nor was it a small hovel. It was a strange building…made of some fine wood and chiseled stone.

Nothing about his house speaks about his wealth.

The Earl finally reached the largest room in his house…the kitchen.

He carefully takes a loaf of bread from his morning visit to Mr. Stufinoven and with a golden gilded bread knife, sliced two perfectly symmetrical and identical slices of bread.

With several ingredients, he made a sauce and left it on one side. With a stick of butter, he slowly spreads it onto the slices of bread, carefully and precisely to avoid any tears in the bread.

He took a match and lights up a roaring fire. On top of the fire lies a pitch black iron pan. He flicks a drop of water onto the pan to test if it’s hot or not. Once it was hot, he carefully lowers the two slices of bread onto the pan.

Mere seconds later, he flips them, then take the bread off and place them onto a fine silver plate.

He took out a butcher’s knife and slices several thin slices of meat from all his gains today.

Thin slices of orc was fried into bacon slices.

One sun ostrich egg was made sunny side up.

The hunk of basilisk meat slowly roasting over some demonic mustard vine, onions, and rosemary.

The Earl took the cooked basilisk meat and with amazing precision slices thin strips.

Finally it was time for assembly.

He took the knife and slathered a fine layer of sauce over both sides of the bread.

On goes the basilisk meat, some ice cabbage, a freshly sliced explosion tomato, diced onions, the orc bacon…and finally the sun ostrich egg cooked sunny side up.

The final slice of bread was laid carefully on top by the Earl.

And finally, it was complete.

The earl’s namesake…his creation, the sandwich.

He wiped the plate with a cloth and brought it with him to the next room.

On it was an altar with several thin candles lit up. A single picture frame with a picture in it was placed on the middle of the altar. The picture was of a very beautiful woman.

“My beloved, I have come again.” The Earl said with the most heartwarming voice. A single tear fell from his eyes as he placed his sandwich on the altar.

“Let’s have dinner.”

Action and Pyoo like this.
  10. NZPIEFACE

NZPIEFACE Leecher

Reading List:
    Link
    My favourite bit about it, is how you gave backstories to the relevant side characters.

11. Minaku

Minaku Writer

Reading List:
    Link
    LF>criticism and things i should change .-.

12. NZPIEFACE

NZPIEFACE Leecher

Reading List:
    Link
    Pretty good story, but it has nothing to do with adventurers...
    Well, if we count the Earl's adventure through the town to get sandwich ingredients...

The story has a good structure, and all the insertions about the other people in the town don't seem obtrusive.

I'll have to actually... uh, read it with criticism in mind for any actual criticisms..

Minaku likes this.
  13. Minaku

Minaku Writer

Reading List:
    Link
    Maybe i should give more detail on "who" the Earl actually is?

14. NZPIEFACE

NZPIEFACE Leecher

Reading List:
    Link
    Well.... is it relevant to the story? I mean, as we are now, we have a good story seen from the eyes of the townspeople. That's why their backstories aren't intrusive. The more focus you move onto something from the Earl's POV, the more it'll be awkward? (I think)

15. Minaku

Minaku Writer

Reading List:
    Link
    thats true...i wanted to make the Earl mysterious that way.

16. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh, pretty nice! Good job on making it! \(^^)/

Quite a good read overall!

Minaku likes this.
  17. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    Wonderful!!! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Chuuni MC is the best!!!

18. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    Genre: Not sure... Can we call a bigger inner monologue with a bit of story a genre?
    Word Count: 2136.
    Title: The Reason For Adventuring.

Sometimes I wonder... Why did I choose this job again?

I just got back from a hunt, killed 2 giant lizards and skinned their pelt, was a good reward, got 1 silver coin from each, which means I should be safe for this month's rent, as well as 1 week worth of food.

However... Seeing each of those pelts being sold to alchemists for 1 gold piece each kinda leaves a bad taste on my mouth... I don't really blame the merchant of course, they are the ones that have to deal with adventurers with no guarantee they will be attacked for their goods or that the adventurers will complete the mission...

But still? 10000% Profit? Isn't that too much? It wouldn't hurt to pay me 10 silver coins instead, would it? The profit would still be absurd even then...

Nonetheless, it's how things work, I can't ask for more than they are willing to pay, otherwise, somebody else will take the job.

Giving up on being an adventurer and becoming a merchant has become more and more appealing though, the difference in the profit is just outstanding, and I do know how to fight and have a fair bit of contacts... Perhaps it is time to start saving up for it...

For now, it's not really feasible, since I still need to get the money to buy things from other adventurers... So, back to more hunting I suppose.

I went towards the church's notice board, it's good that we can see all requests in one place, but the fee everyone has to pay for putting requests there is kinda big, I wish adventurers had a guild of sorts, just like crafters do, I bet we would be able to get better rewards without having to go through the church's fees, even if the guild still took a part of the reward for themselves.

Oh well, not like anyone that didn't kill a dragon or something has money to make a new guild out of nothing, and frankly speaking, why would someone work after killing a dragon? They would have enough money for their next 5 generations to live at ease... I certainly wouldn't.

Getting on the board, I saw what hunts were available... Goblins is it? Quite an unusually high reward for exterminating them, 3 silver per 10 goblins is about 3x higher than the norm, I guess their number is starting to grow a bit bothersome.

Well, let's get on to it.

The nice part of having no guild at all, is that there is no bureocracy at all, I don't really need to tell anyone I'm getting the quest, I just need to clear it, first come first served... It ends up being a problem when a quest needs only a limited amount of completions, but people got the habit of leaving a note that they were going after those, to avoid having fights with others that also want it, of course people still compete to complete the high rewards ones, but they do that while knowing the risk of being too slow and not getting anything, so no fights break out, it's a system that works out somehow.

I went back to my inn room and put on my armor and swords on my belt, put my hair up in a bum and hid it under the helmet and went out to the north of the city, to the forest goblins usually dwelled in.

Going through the gate was not a problem, guards already knew I was an adventurer, so they don't even ask me for my business anymore, saves a lot of trouble to have a permanent base instead of switching between cities constantly, though it kinda limits what jobs I can do.

After walking for a while, I started seeing some tracks leading into the forest, a bit unusual, people generally avoid the forest... It could be of another adventurer, but they were a tad too small for that... Guess I should investigate.

Whoever made those tracks put no effort into hiding them at all, it was either someone very stupid, or very brave... I hope it's the second, or I not going to like what I find at the end of this...

I heard some movement sounds on the way forward... Guess I'm getting close to the end of the trail.

Moving as stealthily as I could, which wasn't much with my armor, I sneakily went to the sources of the noise, once I got there, I saw about 30 goblins, on a clearing, arguing about something and... Smell of blood, just great... Carrying the dead back is always troublesome, but I cant bring myself to simply leave them be, they deserve a proper burial at the very least.

Better get on to it, I moved towards one of the goblins near the edge of the clearing, took one of my swords out, put my hand over his mouth and cut his throat with my sword, killing him before it could warn the others.

I repeated the proccess a few more times, luckily, they were arguing quite a lot, so they took quite a while to notice the amount of voices speaking was getting smaller, of course they noticed after a while, but there were only 20 left by then.

I didn't bother to hide once they started searching, if they paid just a bit of attention they would hear me out anyway, so instead, I took out my 2 swords and ran towards them, beheading 2.

There was some fighting involved, some beheading here, dodging there, a broken arm at one point, nothing really different from usual, the armor did its job in stopping most attacks, but maces were always a problem for armors, hence the broken arm.

Once they were all dead, I could stop to look clearly at the scene, there was a woman laying on a pool of blood on the ground, and by her side... A girl? What is a girl doing here?

I approached her and noticed her eyes were blank, she didn't seem well... Shock most likely.

I took out my helmet and let my long hair loose to try and look less threatening to her, then I prodded her with the finger of my good arm and asked.

"Hey, are you alright?"
    "..."
    "It's over now... The evil goblins are gone..."
    "Mo...Mmy..."
    "Is she your... I see, I'm sorry, I cannot do anything for her... Do you want to come back? It's not safe here."
    "Mommy!!!!!!"

The girl hugged me and started crying non-stop... Let's try thinking a bit about this situation...

A girl in the middle of the forest, small footsteps leading here, a dead woman, goblin subjugatiom... Right, her mother was an adventurer and went out to kill goblins, she felt lonely and went after her mother, the fight started and she got in the way leading to her mother getting killed... Then the goblins were arguing about what to do with the child most likely...

Seriously now, what are those guards thinking? Letting a child go out on their own like that... They better be ready for a huge scolding when I'm back.

For now, let's take care of the problem at hand.

"Listen, I know you're sad, but we really can't stay here, this smell will attract some bad people and then we will be in trouble... I'll bring your mommy with me, so could you come with me as well?"

The girl looked at me with a bit of a blank face before nodding, so I started to wrap things up.

I quickly cut the ears of the dead goblins so as to deliver them as proof of killing, put my hair in a bum and on the helmet again and used my good arm to put her mother's body on my shoulder to bring it back to the city... This will be a long walk.

"Can you walk? I don't think I can carry you both."

The girl nodded again and we started moving, she was quiet, and I didn't have anything to say to her that could help, so I also stayed silent.

After quite some time walking in a pace that I can only thank the gods for us not being attacked, we finally got back to the city. As soon as I got to the gate, the guards got close to see what was happening, but a single glare from me was able to not only stop them, but make them shiver in place and step aside... Sometimes I'm surprised by how much bloodlust we can emanate while angry, even if I'm wearing a helmet and they can't really see my face.

Regardless, we entered the city and went towards the church, as soon as we got close, two of the sisters quickly rushed to our side, while the others started moving about, probably for preparing the funeral.

"Praise the gods you came back, we were so worried about you!!!"

The sister instantly hugged the girl... Weird. Before I could really do anything though, the sister was already carrying the girl back inside, the child looked towards me with a sad face, but didn't say anything, before long they were inside the church, I then turned towards the other sister that was still here.

"Do you know each other?"
    "We do, she is an orphan that we are taking care of! She disappeared earlier today and nobody could find her, thank you so much for finding her!"

The sister bowed to me in thanks, but...

"An orphan...? When I found her in the middle of the forest, she cried Mommy though, I assumed the woman I'm carrying was her mother."

The sister lifted her head and looked into my eyes.

"That was... Our mistake, this woman frequently visited the church and constantly played with the children, we always welcome those, but that one child in specific got too attached, by the time we started hearing her call her Mommy, it was too late."
    "I see, couldn't she have adopted the girl then?"
    "You know how those things are, an adventurer doesn't stay much time home, and they can die at any moment, who in their right mind would adopt a child on those conditions?"
    "I guess so... Can she be buried here? I doubt there are many other places she can rest."
    "Of course, I'm sure she'll be happy by being close to the people she loved... You have my deepest thanks, I have no idea what would have happened if you didn't save this child, considering the situation, I assume she was in a dangerous place."
    "Yeah... The forest, must've followed the woman there, which led her to be killed by goblins... On that note, I killed those."

I took out the pouch with the goblin ears out of my pocket.

"Oh, the reward of course, you killed 30, so it will be 9 silver coins... I thank you again, those orphans mean a lot to us, we would hate to see any of them lose their life."

She bowed towards me again... That's somewhat embarrassing...

"No, it wasn't that much... I was just doing my job..."

The sister raised her head and spoke to me again.

"No, you weren't nobody 'just doing their job' would stop to help a girl on her own and bring back the dead as well, you did a great act, and I'm sure the gods will reward you for that."

I could notice she was really serious about it, so I decided to accept her feelings.

"Then I'm glad to help!"
    "Right, please allow me to carry her so as to allow us to start the funeral procedures, you already did plenty, so you should rest and take care of your arm."
    "Okay, I'll be leaving now."
    "Take care, and may the gods blessings always be with you."

She took the corpse from my shoulder and we parted ways, I went towards a doctor to patch this arm up.

On the way there, I felt a strange feeling of fulfillment that I didn't quite understand where it was coming from... Until it dawned on me, it had been so long that I forgot... The reason I became an adventurer, to help those people out there in need, those that nobody else would lend a hand to... It was nice feeling like that again, that I had truly helped someone, the face of relief the first sister had when se saw the child showed that.

I guess I couldn't be perfect, since I couldn't save the woman as well, but... If it is for the sake of seeing that kind of face on people's faces again, I don't mind being an adventurer for a while longer.

Turned out a bit weird, but I liked the final outcome the MC isn't the kind that I'm used to making, so it was a nice change... I should name the characters next time though.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2017
  19. NZPIEFACE

NZPIEFACE Leecher

Reading List:
    Link
    The style of writing fits it really well.
    And don't name the characters, I think it's better that you refer to the characters to their given role in the short story, rather than a name, as your story is about what adventurers are and who they do their job for.

AliceShiki likes this.
  20. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh... Interesting view on it, I'll keep it in mind!