Discussion Josei and Seinen

Discussion in 'Manga Discussion' started by no168_92, Apr 20, 2017.

1. no168_92

no168_92 BrokenDoor|NeedsFixing|LackingFunds|DonorsWelcomed

Reading List:
    Link
    IF you have to recommend a good josei (~18-30 female target reader) manga to a seinen (~18-30 male tr) hobbyist, what would your recommendation list look like?

This also works the other way around if you want to recommend seinen to a josei fan, what would your list look like?

presumably to win them over or to break their stereotype of genre-biased view or something..

as for the others (shounen, shoujo, their ai version, or the more despicable yaoi and yuri >.<), lets put that at the bottom of the list for now...

NOTE: this is posted in manga discussion, so manga has priority, novel are also ok, but visual depiction helps win new readers over easier in most case.

Shem likes this.
  2. sugarfree

sugarfree Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    i will recommend minamoto-kun monogatari and grand blue :whistle:

3. asomeCokkies

asomeCokkies [Eternal Quest for Epubs]

Reading List:
    Link
    grand blue?

4. Astari

Astari Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Natsume Yuujinchou.

no168_92 likes this.
  5. chencking

chencking [Daolord Grammar Nazi]

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm not sure what Josei or Seinen is, but Makai Ouji and Kuroshitsuji are pretty nice and the large number of men makes me think it's female targeted

6. sugarfree

Reading List:
    Link
    yep grand blue. this manga is under seinen categories so yeah i recommend it

7. NekoMK2

NekoMK2 Lazy cat, [self proclaimed GM_Rusaku Disciples]

Reading List:
    Link
    Is this the one about scuba diving in Sea resort ? If not wrong the cast is bunches of college student

8. Scarecrow

Scarecrow > dev/null

Reading List:
    Link
    Itoshi no nina and Jisatsutou

9. Senros

Senros Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yup, well I think you mean the right manga. They aren't in a sea resort, they just live in a diving related shop. It's the one with college students always getting drunk, naked and in hilarious situations.

Surprisingly, it seems like I haven't read any josei manga or at least not any good ones. For seinen manga I would recommend first Watashitachi no Shiawase na Jikan. I actually thought it was josei, but according to mangaupdates, it's seinen. It's about the life of a prisoner on death row and a woman who was trying to kill herself, who got asked by her aunt (I think it was her aunt), who was quite religious, to fill her place while she recovers from an illness.

Then Real, a basketball manga dealing with people with disabilities. Teppu if the person likes realistic fighting manga (it's about MMA). Solanin if it's someone if his/her 20s. Tokyo Ghoul if they want something well known.

For fun I would tell them to read Onani Master Kurosawa first, but they would probably not read any more seinen manga. It's really good, but the topic may be too much for some. Though I guess if they read josei, they wouldn't mind all that much. If they were only reading magical girl stuff, then it would probably traumatize them.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
    no168_92 and sugarfree like this.
  10. Chiiiiiiiii

Chiiiiiiiii >Daoist Thirteen Bears< >Hero Astral Saber<

Reading List:
    Link
    Makai Ouji is josei isn't it?

Shounen Ojou - it's a Trap! Josei. About kingdom, usurpation and power struggle. Nice!

07-Ghost was nice, and no, no yaoi, just bromance, there was even a female there.

Himegoto - Juukyuusai no Seifuku, this one is really messed, rather difficult to say.

Paradise Kiss is from the same author of Nana, it have anime and manga complete, it is almost the same, but even if you watch the anime it's good to read the last chapter of the manga since there's an additional information there~☆

Wood Stocks is a good seinen for who likes story about musicians.

Nodame Cantabile and Piano no Mori are also rather good classic music manga (josei and seinen).

Bokura no Kiseki is a good josei too, a guy who is the reincarnation of a princess of a magical era and a lot more reincarnated people in the modern world, and no, not yaoi.

Kore wa Koi no Hanashi is a cute romance with quite the age gap.

Nana is about music, romances and crap people continue to do even though they are young adults. There is anime, live action movie (2) and manga.... which is said to be incomplete.

Detroit Metal City is also a music one, but comedy (seinen). there is manga, anime and movie. If your language is not english you will learn about how and when to swear "f#ck" lol

The Erotic Fairy Tale series is good for anyone:whistle:

no168_92 likes this.
  11. LostBMe

LostBMe Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    josei - waru (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waru_(manga) Girl meets guy. Fall in love. Finds out he works at the same company. Chases after him. Sweet and pure comedy. Might make you wish you had a girl that would try as hard as this girl to just meet you.

seinen - Historie (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historie). It's war, it's history, it's not all sex and girls. You can tell people you're reading educational stuff - really.

no168_92 likes this.
  12. SoulZer0

SoulZer0 Heaven Refining

Reading List:
    Link
    Nozoki Ana

13. no168_92

no168_92 BrokenDoor|NeedsFixing|LackingFunds|DonorsWelcomed

Reading List:
    Link
    what about the other way around? how would you convince a fresh grad guy to give josei manga a try, and at least let the guy unable to criticize the genre?

care to give a brief intro?

14. sugarfree

Reading List:
    Link
    i rarely read josei, but i will recommend wotaku ni koi wa muzukashii and dame na watashi ni koishite kudasai. because two of them is under josei genre and currently in my reading list

no168_92 likes this.
  15. Scarecrow

Scarecrow > dev/null

Reading List:
    Link
    Itoshi no nina is pretty much a normal youth story, albeit on the edgy side and doesn't have that sweet happy end. Seinen readers will find it familiar hence I recommend it.

As for Jisatsutou.. sorry I just recommended it without thinking. I'm not even a Josei reader hence I'm not sure what's Josei readers would find okay and what's not. Basically uhh.. it's just edgy. Anyway maybe instead of Jisatsutou you should recommend Tokyo DTED? Maybe Josei reader will find that one more familiar..

no168_92 likes this.
  16. RaGi

RaGi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Karneval, Lookism, Wotaku ni Koi wa Muzukashii, Ousama ni Sasagu Kusuriyubi... josei/seinen. Its all good imo.

17. KnackHD

KnackHD Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Vinland Saga
    Berserk
    Vagabond
    Oldboy
    and many more

18. ongoingwhy

ongoingwhy Meat Pie Lover

Reading List:
    Link
    女性(Josei) is a genre catered toward adult females.

These are all Josei mangas... Don't ask why I read them. :oops:

Kimi Wa Pet(Tramps Like Us)
    Usagi Drop(Bunny Drop)
    Midnight Secretary - Personally, I don't think this is that good but females may like it.

19. Tachi Works

Tachi Works Not a very well known member

Reading List:
    Link
  20. Tachi Works

Tachi Works Not a very well known member

Reading List:
    Link
    http://www.mangahere.co/manga/unlucky_mansion/

If you read this josei manga, youll realize pretty fast how its different from Shojo even though theyre both genres aimed at females.

Josei tends to have adult female protagonists, or center around family, friendship, realistic life settings, and realistic romances etc.

Shojo is more like a teenage girls dreamboat.