Xianxia costume question - Underwear?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by readerz, May 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KnightofGlory26

KnightofGlory26 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    hey guys! I'm gonna hijack this thread! you know how immortals get rid of all impurities in their bodies? well most do anyway. well, do female immortals still get periods? i mean they do the function of a period through cultivation right? also does that mean even male cultivators constantly feel like their entire body in on it's period?

:p

2. hatoyin97

hatoyin97 «Frigid Heart Petrification Manual»

Reading List:
    Link
    You are Awesome and Wise in the world of Xian Xia!

Archaic pickle likes this.
  3. readerz

readerz Madam Jin

Reading List:
    Link
    In the Spirit Blade Mountain manhua (adapted from Once Upon A Time, There Was A Spirit Sword Mountain) it's stated that female cultivators have a skill called "Slaying the Red Dragon" or some such and it's for them to control their menstrual period. So probably they still have periods (otherwise they would be infertile) but they control it. Like, once every three months maybe. So most likely they can stop their period when it's inconvenient (like during a mission or test).

4. hatoyin97

hatoyin97 «Frigid Heart Petrification Manual»

Reading List:
    Link
    I likeke the way you quote it Good JOB!

5. ultragunner

ultragunner Self-taught Mage

Reading List:
    Link
    If you are still wondering, they basically have an inner robe which is basically an oversized towel but on thin fabric in summer (dunno about winter, maybe they layer up?) And over that "innerwear" they use something thicker (still white usually) and then they wear their robes (like a kimono basically) and then a Cloak above that for the slightly colder times. This can get more layered on special occasions like weddings or official events.

This is partly why they try to avoid close contact with females since it's easy to "brush past" the layers since the ones who wear pants are generally men or the more martially oriented women. They have lots of sashes or 'belts' though 1 for the inner wear, their substitute bras, another for the thicker one above that and at least one more above their outer robes. This is why they need (the nobles anyway) help when dressing up since they need it tight enough to not fall off (some use pins to keep in place) but still be comfortable.

readerz likes this.
  6. readerz

readerz Madam Jin

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh, thanks for the info. I was confused since I thought they were wearing a sort of knee length camisole (for women) or undershirt/underpants for men or something like that but the Ze Tian Ji vid had zero inner wear so I was confused.

7. ultragunner

ultragunner Self-taught Mage

Reading List:
    Link
    Underwear as we know it is basically European. Others have them by necessity but it looks different from what we see them as now

8. Linbe

Linbe New member

Reading List:
    Link
    They are a kind of diapers that they wear which can help them cultivate secret techniques faster....and also to block all the shit they spew.

9. readerz

readerz Madam Jin

Reading List:
    Link
  10. Ai chan

Ai chan Queen of Yuri, Devourer of Traps, Thrusted Witch

Reading List:
    Link
    This is the inner wear that Chinese women used to wear. Chinese women still wear this when they need to wear hanfu. I've never worn anything else, apart from modern lingerie, of course.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Example clothing

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 27, 2017
    ongoingwhy likes this.
  11. Moonclipse

Moonclipse Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Inner wear changes according to which dynasty you come from too

[​IMG]

Im not sure if they wore underwear underneath, but they wore pants underneath their Hanfu so even if they flew over ppl... You wouldn't get flashed kek

12. RozenKristal

RozenKristal NUF gender bender Emperor -> Queen

Reading List:
    Link
    There are a few layers for women. You have the inner most that considered as lingerie that cover the breast, then an outer thin layer, after that you have the outer most layer. Depending on the weather, u prob have 3~4 layers.

Brassier for each dynasty reference here:

http://news.globalintimatewear.com/Features/6418/The_Charm_of_Ancient_Chinese_Underwear.html

https://wedriveeast.wordpress.com/2011/02/17/history-of-chinese-undergarments-part-1/

https://fuckyeahchinesemyths.tumblr.com/post/45087056786/how-to-put-on-hanfu-han-chinese-clothing

Regarding the bottom part, from many novels that I read, it seems they use loincloth or pants.

readerz and Ai chan like this.
  13. kursys

kursys animeweedlord420

Reading List:
    Link
    shit i was literally reading an article about fundoshi like a week ago
    as far as i know the eastern folk didn't seem to put anywhere much as near importance behind hiding their accouterments back in the day, unlike the british when they developed breeches for men and hose for women around the 15th century.

14. Zeckzen

Zeckzen Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, now we know why the mc see female cultivator flying in the sky while chased by male cultv for a while yet he hadn't caught up with her

readerz likes this.
  15. Shem

Shem ┃ᐕ) ⁾⁾「Lv 69 BL Hunter」☆ Vrelty's Seme ♤♡ ꪋς꧖ ☆

Reading List:
    Link
    Women don't wear underwear when wearing a kimono or whatever you call it >.>

16. RozenKristal

RozenKristal NUF gender bender Emperor -> Queen

Reading List:
    Link
    That japanese.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.