What's up with Chen Dong?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by TotesMyGoats, May 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Danis

Danis {(Harem Sect Leader)}{Trickster}&{Lurker}

Reading List:
    Link
    what can you expect in here we got a lot reader who act like they know anything only read about 10 chapter and they already said slow blah blah blah dropped..............

Damyabo, Tianshen, strayCat0 and 3 others like this.
  2. Diedonetw

Diedonetw Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    i don't think there's issue with his works, it's just that he has a lot of fillers filled with the fact of slow translation ... you might take 5-20 years to get to read some of the works and aint anyone got time for that

readerz, Kyrkos, Wujigege and 2 others like this.
  3. Titan LLS

Titan LLS Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    you have to be fair, as well now, slow is slow. all of the works out as far as translations go even after all these year's idk of any of them that has passed or even reached 300. to be fair these thing's don't start to pick up until around chpt 50 or so. one's like WOI take even longer. reader's here also start out for the most part with thing's like manga. when they pick up a manga most use the first 3-5 chapters to judge, then and their "is this shit or treasure". a good review might make them take a second look, but if the thing is not even getting good reviews then idk what to say. while i do enjoy the work's not everyone can appreciate a good build-up. they might feel they were just being strung along for something that was never worth their time in the first place. I felt New Gate was just something that was building up with promise and waited for more, for 7 volume's that yielded no result. so i very much can understand the line of thinking.

Kyrkos likes this.
  4. Cygsiulle

Cygsiulle error 404: title not found

Reading List:
    Link
    Wujigege and JLIX19 like this.
  5. Raine

Raine Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Shrouding the Heavens is great but the first 50 chapters are a prologue so the ratings aren't that good.

Blitz, checkm8 and runsing like this.
  6. JLIX19

JLIX19 『Harem Sect Elder』

Reading List:
    Link
    Well some readers think they already know it all

7. ReCOOKIE

ReCOOKIE Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The Sacred Ruins is definitely one of his best work.
    It got 1st place from Jan-April and it look like it going to take 1st place for this month with 79k subs vs A Will Eternal 58k subs.

8. Sircus

Sircus [Well-Known God]

Reading List:
    Link
    I argue that good stories are good from chapter 1. Your argument that if it´s good from chapter 1 then it must be a trash novel is just silly.

Wujigege likes this.
  9. Conspiring Cactus

Conspiring Cactus Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    He has a thing for fillers. Sacred Ruins is good so far but some of the chapters are really unnecessary.

10. My Pen is Mightier Than Swords

My Pen is Mightier Than Swords ["Questioning the firmament"]

Reading List:
    Link
    No lie really slow start, but it's better to just stack chapters and wait for the payoff. It worth it TBH

11. Mufarasu

Mufarasu Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Welp, publisher is Qidian, so have fun while they last.

12. HesheFell

HesheFell [Out of Retirement] [Looking for Recs Everywhere]

Reading List:
    Link
    Well yes. I did hate Shen Mu. It got a 1* from me. Anyone wanna kill me for it? After that, the only novel I've considered reading by him was World of Immortals. 70% reason is because I trust the translation.

Random and FlameE like this.
  13. Damyabo

Damyabo [Butcher]

Reading List:
    Link
    There are things like world building ,mc bg, explanations to make senses etc.
    These things are lenghty so they are good read for people who love them, but for people who love fast pace, expecting "you spit me,i kill you" kind of thing from chap 1, it will just throw them off.
    You cant just expect every good novel to be good from chapter 1.

EDIT: by "good" I don't mean fast pacing or something.
    Coz sometimes explaining about the world the author create and about mc life is pretty normal.
    Yes,pretty normal chapter.
    For example, in most Isekai novel (including good one and bad ones), in first few chapters, mc die, talk with god,basic explanation of word,get transported etc.
    Can you judge a novel will be good from just that?
    No you can't. You only get a glimpse of what the author would write about,
    If you say good novel must be good from chap 1, you are just another diehard fan.
    Coz we can't even certain the novel can be good or bad by reading around let's say 5 chapter.

Last edited: May 30, 2017
    Ai chan likes this.
  14. IRainstorm

IRainstorm Dark Sect Ancestor

Reading List:
    Link
    If the novels with slow starts and progression were considered bad then all the classics and popular western novels would be considered bad which is ridiculous.

[​IMG]

strayCat0 likes this.
  15. Clyne

Clyne Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    As a good writer, you must make your reader want to keep reading your story. First impression is important. If you talk about slow progression, issth also has slow progression. But er gen storytelling is really good, i always want to read another chapter. Menghao need hundreds of chapters to become core formation, and he keep fighting by throwing things until hundreds of chapters too. But the story is really good that make me keep reading it until now.

Yeah you guys are right, i only read perfect world for 3 chapters, then i got boring. I never read it again ever since. But i only need to read 1 chapter of a will eternal to got hooked by its story. That is the different. I'm not kidding when i said i got hooked when i read 1 chapter of AWE. You guys can try it and see the difference

Aiiee likes this.
  16. Damyabo

Damyabo [Butcher]

Reading List:
    Link
    I didn't say that.
    How do you reach to a conclusion that I say such thing as slow novel=shit?
    I prefer good writing slow pacing one than just kill kill kill since chapter 1.
    What I mean is you can't judge a novel to be good or bad just from chapter 1.

17. IRainstorm

IRainstorm Dark Sect Ancestor

Reading List:
    Link
    No I wasn't talking to you, just using your message as basis for my own reply, lol sorry for the misunderstanding.
    to be fair, the first 59 chapters of Perfect World are a kind of a huge synopsis for the story, synopsis in western stories can be pretty bland and boring since you're thrown inside a world you don't know with rules you ignore and characters you don't care about yet.
    I can't blame you for dropping it and I'm not blaming anyone for that matter, but if you've left a bad rating based on that, then understand our frustration. :((n)

Last edited: May 30, 2017
    strayCat0 and Damyabo like this.
  18. Damyabo

Damyabo [Butcher]

Reading List:
    Link
    ok then. :)
    Back to the topic, Perfect world is kinda interesting imo.

19. Sircus

Sircus [Well-Known God]

Reading List:
    Link
    Actually I can, good from chapter 1 is a benchmark of a good novel. It has nothing to do with pacing. What you describe isn't a good novel its a novel with good parts. Plenty of them on RRL.

I read a review once that said "The story gets good after chapter 200, you must read it". This is an example of what can never qualify as a good novel.

Ai chan likes this.
  20. Damyabo

Damyabo [Butcher]

Reading List:
    Link
    Ridiculous.
    In chapter 1 of Harry Potter:
    The only description you got is his father and mother and dead and the dark lord is defeated, and Harry is send to his aunt house.
    You must be an ESPer if you can judge a novel is good or bad from just that.:LOL::LOL:
    It is only world building, basic info about mc past and vivid description of Privet Drive.
    I can say it is interesting just from chapter 1, but I cant judge a novel is good or bad with that much info.

Akashura and IRainstorm like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.