Discussion Opinions on Qidian Mega-merge thread 2.0 - All future Qidian Opinion Threads Will Go Here

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by BabaNovac, Jun 26, 2017.

?

Like qidian?

Poll closed Aug 11, 2017.
  1. Yes

24 vote(s)
    13.4%
  2. No

155 vote(s)
    86.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MadHatter

MadHatter [WindyWeather]

Reading List:
    Link
    *Psst* NoodleTown is a sleeper agent right? If he's not, then he is doing a damn good job at it. Remind me of Trump, someone needs to get this guy away from twitter.

2. AggressivePacifist

AggressivePacifist Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Screenshot everything @noodletowntranslated says in future so he can't get away with spreading his bullshit and then deleting it once he's proven wrong like he's done this time. Deleting his posts is an admission of wrongdoing/lying. Hold the QI PR shills to their words.

3. Chupchup

Chupchup Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Doesn't this mean that you guys admit trying to DMCA their app. Also for all your current WW translators, if they use or have used a WW Editor they essentially have lost complete "rights" and "ownership" to their translations. So essentially your current crop of WW translations can't go anywhere without your ok. Seems like something they need to review in their contracts now. I don't know if those translators knew about it when accepting a Editor's help. Almost shady in some ways if I was the translator.

Anyway to me that seems like a bad move to prevent those translations from leaving since they could in theory just get someone to re-edit the chapters and be ok.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2017
  4. Desperate4Novels

Desperate4Novels Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So QI has been absorving a lot a novels recently and, imo, they seem to want to control de novel community (probably with a pay wall or something). Does anyone have any opinions?

Also, can someone link me the supposed slave contracts that QI is doing with certain translators? It appeared a while ago in one post but I can't find it.

Sorry if english is bad.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2017
  5. mcmunhuu

mcmunhuu [Got rejected by LaDyViL] [T_T] [No Game No Life]

Reading List:
    Link
    just read japan korea then lol

6. Pietje1324

Pietje1324 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I am not saying I agree with Qidian's approach if past events hold any truth to go by. And would definitely not like the idea of a paywall.
    But Qidian hasn't shown any intention to halt, they have a most seemed silent (to me) after the thing with WuxiaWorld. They will continue whatever they're doing.
    I get why these questions pop-up, but I don't think you will get definitive answers this way. NUF has for a sizeable part already become far from neutral when it comes to the Qidian paywall and quality of translation subject

Edit: nevermind, NUF forums are just good at sorting stuff.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2017
  7. raltzero

raltzero Last Year Until BS in IT | Lazy Overlord TL

Reading List:
    Link
    If you're asking if you can be contracted to the supposed slave contracts, I guess that's only if they contact you. If they ask to you drop the novel or be contracted, I guess that's over for your novel unless you accept. Either that or check if your novel is on Zongheng and the other big novel sites and appeal to them for a contract?

8. Jaded

Jaded Majoring in Erology

Reading List:
    Link
    Why did you ask for opinions about Qidian when multiple threads have made it clear what the majority over here thinks lol...

9. Danis

Danis {(Harem Sect Leader)}{Trickster}&{Lurker}

Reading List:
    Link
    he just say what he feel guys no need to bully him remember not all translator have many donation

10. mitre27

mitre27 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Some paywalls i'd find acceptable, i'm happy paying 5-10 bucks a month to read all QI translated novels, it will help fund more, higher quality translators so we don't end up with wuxiadream level people like we do on QI atm.

11. Heimdallr

Heimdallr [I-don't-know-what-to-write-here]

Reading List:
    Link
    well honestly i think our community is waaaaaaaaaay toooooooo small.... the number of people who read chinese novel is practicly non-existent.

the number of people who would pay for a paywall can be counted on one hand o_O

a paywall is not really profitable and not worth it --> they are proably gonna put that shit away and realize donate is a better system

till now its been that ~3 people donate and a thousound leech who bring money in with ads

god knows why they think its profitable.... let them be stupid

an additional point is that everyone on NU reads novels BECAUSE THEY ARE ON NU, i am sure everybody remembers the stone age ( i copy and pasted links on 3 different notes on my smartphone cause only 1 wasnt big enough)

so i would like to say ur hopefully gonna have them for free if not there a lot of good novels which arent QI
    besides think about it there are a lot of companies for novels like QI and none of them tried to put their clasw into our community. Why? because it isnt worth it for them! Thats capitalism bro !

( was supposed for a forum but that was moved here before i could post so bear with it )

12. Raizhee

Raizhee who

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm a friking kid that can't use a card legally n all the shite `-` , paywall comes and i gtfo

13. thelurker

thelurker [The Crazy Guy] Death to All BL Novels

Reading List:
    Link
    So your saying @Shem is a shotacon?

14. Raizhee

Raizhee who

Reading List:
    Link
    You just had to tag the tsundere and yandere waifu , didn't you ?

*sigh*

15. Logicsol

Logicsol Proud owner of a Toyota Lernlaw

Reading List:
    Link
    WW holds rights on any edits their staff editors did. That's pretty standard fare. To be more precise, it's likely that their editors hold rights, and that WW as the publisher is authorized to taken action on their behalf.

The TL would still have full rights over their unedited work, and any edits done people with seperate agreements with them.
    This doesn't strike me as an attempt to prevent those translations from leaving, rather it's an action against QI, whom are now illegally publishing work that doesn't belong to them.

Legally speaking, QI doesn't have the rights to the edited versions, and should be paying WW a fee for their use. They are refusing to speak with WW while using work owned by them. WW is fully in their rights to go after them for that.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2017
    Its Michael likes this.
  16. Shem

Shem ┃ᐕ) ⁾⁾「Lv 69 BL Hunter」☆ Vrelty's Seme ♤♡ ꪋς꧖ ☆

Reading List:
    Link
    (•__•?)

17. Chupchup

Reading List:
    Link
    Yup no one talked about editors rights before so that seemed like a surprised. I guess they're the grunt worker in the back that no one notices. Anyway that type or threat of legal action seems exactly like what QI was doing before which they were labeled as in the wrong. Anyway that's all. Cheers!

18. Its Michael

Its Michael Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Nope - QI demanded all translated chapters from WW for which exclusive authorization to translate WW paid before and even make further claims like it was already their property + backed off from oral agreement +slander WW using untrue claims. In this case WW hold rights again - QI didn't paid anything. On top of that QI is balantly ignoring WW (I guess they got e-mails regarding this before Ren went this legal way) thus they reap what they sow. I wouldn't speculate further because we don't know details.

If you don't see a difference, well it's like you are stating consensual sex is the same as rape because in essence it's all about sex ;)

19. Chupchup

Reading List:
    Link
    You still seem mad about that but I think they backed off the 20 licenses novel and just went after the "oral agreement" portion. Seems like you rehash that in a lot of post. :) Again horrible move and shows a lack of PR skilled people at QI. Definitely trying to pull back the 20 novels licenses from WW was a horrible move which I think they backed off of. The oral agreement and even some emails portion is debatable which would be left to their legal teams..

Anyway don't think it's huge issue for QI since they could just "re-edit" any offending chapters and likely that would be it or perhaps just push out their unedited chapters. But I dunno, I imagine makes translators do a double take on who their editor is and what that implies to their rights.

Anyway this whole drama QI and WW thing is pretty crappy. Can't wait til we move past this.

20. Logicsol

Logicsol Proud owner of a Toyota Lernlaw

Reading List:
    Link
    QI's action were labeled wrong because:

1) It went against what they said they would do.
    2) They libeled WW.
    3) They attempted to violate their agreement.

They're also the 800 pound gorilla in the room, using legal weight to get their way is seem as unseemly when they are already in the stronger position.

WW on the other hand, while they are a big player in the TL scene, are tiny compared to QI. Them using legal means to try and even the playing field is more acceptable, especially when the other side is playing dirty.

Tramsloof, strayCat0 and Mangochic like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.