[Closed] NU's 2nd Anniversary Celebration - Unofficial Writing Contest (submission thread)

Discussion in 'Novel Updates Site Discussion' started by BlancFrost, Jun 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. archduke

archduke Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Tittle : My Story
    Genre : slice of life

My Story.

"Once, at Baghdad once famous as door of knowledge, but if you want to find novel , novel update are your door"

Daily life not to bad , it's depend on what to do . Even so many unnecessary thing we would do it even it's boring one. Yeah that is Life. Never that I though I will hook to this website called novel update ! Yes it's novel ! And English ! Well its not my main language in my daily life, but so hook like that is a naked women in there . Why so , I don know , don't ask me. It's just notification for novel had been update . I always open this site to find or looking for update. I had to said , this novel updates is the portal to undiscovered world . Novel that I knew only a tip from the iceberg.

**Some ads had that@.@

From the beginning , after I had had my exam , just sitting around the corner, face some real life , then I think I should have some hobby to do ,other then surfing of course! Ok I will honest! I had no work! I am so bored! Ok gimme the 1st prize!!!

Cough cough . *Back to serious mode* back then , I not into to reading , if I read I will sleep . True! since I keep update the novel , I start to read more , more and more. Untill then ! I had sudden enlightment ! Of course I not the Martial King yet. From I read I can feel the writer ,how the writer view the world, how they narrative the story .

Some novel had same script bad people, seeking death , provoke other , dead, revenge , frog eat the swan . Well , I plant it to my life. Day by day I start to be more observation then talking , and it work! More benefits I can get from them . Now I can read people ! I know that their plot , what they up to , then I can avoid stuck in the middle of their problem .

Then , there is bad thing to about the novel. It's ... Hmm some novel I think it's should not been write. Some of them just piece of shit ! Does not had plot , they just like walking in Sahara. Most Japanese WN like it. So , no wonder .

**Some LN are good , but WN is shit

Dear Reader, i must say thank you to write a review after read them , it's had save me many time , but I have in my mind to say .once u read a new novel , u can't mix with the other novel . U can't compare with other novel , u must be a bona fide reader and u must come with clean head , and u also can't criticism their novel . since u read it for free, act like one of them lol . No one ask u to read it , just hold your emotion . Let people reading the novel , well there is a exception like those piece of shit .

The forum I rarely read them because they mostly discussed about the novel , I just look whenever I lost in story or old character poop out , kinda interesting to see because some people can read the raw. Thank you for them , keep up !

Well at the end , thank you novel update to give notification to us, happy NOVEL UPDATES'
    2ND ANNIVERSARY !

Last edited: Jun 27, 2017
    akki, ExitedDeviljho and Action like this.
  2. GilgameshX2114

GilgameshX2114 Eccentric Gil, Almighty Immortal, God of All

Reading List:
    Link
    Title: Boredom
    Genre: Poem
    Word Count: I don't really know...
    There was a time when Anime and Manga was no longer enough.
    The excitement that used to run in my veins were no longer present.
    I tried to get that excitement back but it was tough.
    But then, I found Novel Updates which was literally, god-sent

At first I was skeptical, thinking reading is a long and arduous process.
    Little did I know, that even in reading, every effort is rewarded.
    I first began reading novels that have adaptations as a test.
    That's when it happened, when my expectations were easily exceeded.

It blew me away. It tore my boredom apart.
    It destroyed my mindset that reading novels are hard.
    It gave color to my mind and that was still just the start.
    I knew it that soon, Novel Updates will be a part of my life that I will never discard.

I began bing reading, trying to expand my repertoire.
    First, I only read japanese novels, looking for the continuations of the things I've watched.
    I knew I can read much more, only japanese novels can't fill my reservoire.
    I then began reading korean and chinese novels, truthfully, I felt touched.

I knew this was a turning point in my life, something I'd never forget.
    It gave me the excitement that I lost and sought.
    Finding Novel Updates is something I'll never regret.
    To the point that if this is a trap, I would rather be caught.

The boredom that I know will still hunt me even to this day,
    Was alleviated to the point that I can even barely feel it.
    Reading novels is just like pottery, with the your mind as the clay.
    The novel, as the potter, shapes your imagination and makes it fuller, bit by bit.

There's nothing much left for me to say, nor think.
    I just want to thank the authors and translators, who are doing a greeat job.
    Their works are works are what saved me from the brink,
    And Novel updates, for bringing novels that I can read while eating shishkebab.

Stanman, Jiye, jmf028 and 5 others like this.
  3. Drakolous Maxima

Drakolous Maxima 《一条龙》

Reading List:
    Link
    Title: What could have been
    Genre: Sci-fi
    Word Count: 704
    He ducks and weaves through the forest, both his home and his only ally. The others would come looking for him, but for now he would wait, and hope. Crouching in the forest, he looked towards the star filled darkness. He prayed to the almighty being up there that it would give another. Fourteen grand carriers were the scheduled amount. A single pod landed. He raced towards it in hope of finding his brother.

A dark metal tear glides through the void. As she fell towards her future “home”, she thought of the past. Her ancestors journeyed to the stars years ago, now only she returned.

The Nova Vita project was a dream. A dream that someday they could destroy those hideous creatures; that they … weren’t simply waiting for death.

Space was a world of void, devoid of any light. A welcome change from the crimson flames and the blinding light that now haunted her dreams, where she found images of the inferno blazing around her. She prayed for survival, for renewal of the past, even if it was all a dream. There was her friend, who was an inseparable entity throughout the days upon the ship.

If nothing, he wanted his brother back. In the vacuum of space there is hope he said. Yes, but so was the cruel reality of death. He sighed. This tiny patch of green was going to be cleared again soon. His family’s lifeblood was slowly being revealed.

Her mind journeyed to the Conservatorium, her home and her sanctuary. Now it was gone, like a pool of memories evaporating into the air. She absentmindedly remembered her friend, the only one that could break her ice cold heart. Only the thought of him almost made tears come to her eyes, and cry silently in pain.

He always thought that their end was near. The brass always wanted to take the last bit of power from them, and toss it into space. Well, the chance came. Those beasts were seen again.

Space was a world of void, devoid of any light. A welcome change from the crimson flames and the blinding light that now haunted her dreams, where she found images of the inferno blazing around her. She prayed for survival, for renewal of the past, even if it was all a dream. There was her friend, who was an inseparable entity throughout the days upon the ship.

Beasts of massive size that destroyed any advances to expand. So, they sent the Professor on a “retrieval mission”; past the beasts.

She saw the hope-filled eyes that looked at her, handing over their only paths to survival. She was the phoenix of the nation, the only survivor. Everyone was better, more talented, more hardworking, but somehow; only she survived.

As he continued to trace the ship, he hoped that his stupid brother’s kindness would not be the death of him.

“All good things come to an end”. The reality of that made her cringe and cry.

“What can go wrong, will go wrong.” Why hadn’t his brother sent some kind of message to him?

On that fateful day, a ringing sound reverberated through the ship. As people began to file into the bunker, they realised something went terribly wrong.

The silver pod descended. He blinked. Those would only belong to the Rulers…

Every second became an hour, every minute became a day. She stood in the midst of confusion, staring blankly at the air. Only as a firm hand grabbed her, and she had awoken from her stupor. On their way to the pod, the ship lurched and she smelled the smoke in the air, she began to hurry.

He finally found the pod but leaning upon it was a girl. What he most feared had come.

She stood up from the machine and leaned against the door. A voice spoke behind her.

A single icon began to glow on the back of her hand. She unclenched her fist and in there was a single blue chip, glowing in the moonless night, the legacies of the other thirteen.

“________ is dead”

He looked straight into her tearing eyes. He blinked disbelievingly and just cried.

And they wept for their futility.

Action likes this.
  4. Deleted member 41274

Deleted member 41274 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Title: I have less than 2 hours to write this story today.
    Genre: Question mark
    Words: Counting them is such a hassle, but I try to have more than the minimum of 500 words. It would be a dream if I could reach 7500 words, not thinking about crossing that word count mark.

Anyway, here we go.

"Dear diary,
    it is Tuesday(?) again."

Mister M was typing, when he wasn't sure anymore, so he went to check the date. Luckily, computers nowadays always know what day it is.

"Yes, it is indeed Tuesday!"

It was raining, the birds were chirping, it was a wonderful cool day in a hot summer, contrary to the other prior days, which left the citizens of the country A with no other option than sweating profusely.

kacha kacha kacha kacha

Typing vigorously Mister M forgot about time, fully immersed into the world of writing.

A writer can do so many things. He write down what is important to humanity, entertaining as a means of passing one's time or just to excercise one's fingers.

There goes a saying.

A man with an open-mind, causes less trouble than a narrow-minded citizen.

"At least this is what I tell myself." Mister M thought inwardly.

kacha kacha kacha kacha

"Only 400 more words or so." Mister M released a sigh.

Just think about it. The open-minded person, is open to whatever what you have to say. He will listen, not judge and be a perfect party to talk with.

On the other hand isn't the narrow-minded citizen rather hard to deal with?

For example, you'd argue about how the world is flat or round or what not with them, while the open-minded person might have such high understandings due to his openness for the world and his willingness to learn new things that he can enlighten you or make you smirk.

Just think of a prime example. Who is open-minded, if not Mister M?

Mister M takes everything as they are. He thinks about cause and effect. And he would never ever lose his temper!

That's mister M. The person, who will enter a contest for anniversary of a certain website on the internet!

Mister M is not the person, who is writing this right now though. Mister M is an ideal, an ideal that is hardly reached. Mister M will never cease to try to improve himself, because only when one knows that he is lacking, will he improve. That is the very core of the very open-minded Misster M.

kacha kacha kacha kacha

"Only 300 words more or so." Mister M gasped.

"This goes really fast. I never expected that writing would be so easy, and it is really fun. Sorry to the judges who have to read this. And hello and thank you for this opportunity, which you give the users of a certain forum to talk to each other." Mister M wrote on his computer.

Soon it will be done. Soon this piece of letter can be sent to a certain forum on the internet.

Mister M looked at the time: "Only 92 more minutes do I have to finish this at most and I am almost done! Haha!"

Mister M was really delighted. It is not his real name, and it is not his personality, but just an ideal put out there.

Who is Mister M really? And what purpose does this have?

Maybe it has no purpose other than letting out some steam.

Every person has a thought or many thoughts, and to convey those thoughts into something that another person can use to make something greater like a stepping stone ain't that bad.

Just imagine a staircase. You walk up and up and then you are at the roof of a skyscraper.

That's how writing works. And that's how a certain charcter of a certain webnovel never ceased to talk.

And if Mister M hasn't died yet, Mister M was still writing his little love letter to the person who gave him this opportunity to cry upon seeing his own creation.

~THE END~
    (not to be continuuuu...)

THANKS!
    I wonder though are people seriously counting each word one after another? Or is there a trick, because it's such a hassle

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2017
    Action likes this.
  5. Friickina

Friickina Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Tittle:a change for good
    word count: 86 i think

For novels around the world
    their is a place for you just hear
    the fluttering of pages and the clicks of a mouse
    running to find a glimpse of you to pounce

At first there was little to be found
    but in time more came and so did we
    to see what we could read

we look upon the glory of this great name
    but sometimes forget its dim past
    that they overcame at last

novel updates
    what it does is grand
    day by day giving us more land
    to explore, in the books galore

not much to say anymore
    just my rhyme scheme is poor

sorry if bad, made with little in mind but lots in my heart
    thanks for all the hard work ...

Slayerwolfx2 and Action like this.
  6. Lost Panda

Lost Panda Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Title: The wish to fly
    Genre: one shot
    Words: 1,085
    Someone else could've written it better than I did if they had the idea I had about plot T-T but here's my story
    "Have you ever wished to fly? Not caring about anything, just flying through the blue sky in freedom?" My friend asked me with a dejected voice, we've been friends since kindergarten and now we're both 17 already. She's beautiful compared to the plain me. Uncommon golden hair that looks like silk, a small face with big sky blue eyes and kindhearted with a cheerful personality. Standing next to me who has messy hair and a plain face she seems like an angel.
    "No, why?" I replied to her confused
    "It's just life's so constricting, and I sometimes feel like I'm slowly suffocating... *sighs Nevermind, it's fine" She bitterly smiled at me
    "I just don't get you, well my house's in the other direction so bye, see you tomorrow!" I waved at her while walking away
    "Bye!" She turned and left
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    (I used **** for MC's bff because I didn't know what to do for her name)
    -At school
    While I walk through the halls towards my classroom I hear the whispers of other students
    "Did you hear what she did?" Student 1
    "Yeah! I can't believe her, she totally fooled us with her fake friendly personality" Student 2
    "How could **** do that to Lily? To bully her and even spread rumors, I knew all along those rumors were fake. Poor Lily to be a victim in this" Student 1
    "Why is she even going to school here? People like her should die already!" Student 3
    (They were talking about ****! There's no way they're true! How long have this been going on? I need to find her and ask her about this.) I dash through the hall ways and went to the school roof where I find **** standing by the railing.
    "****? What's with the rumors about you bullying Lily? They aren't real right?" I asked her confused and worried
    "...What should I do? No one believes me... Look I'm just going through a lot of things ok? I'm fine" She said in a depressed voice
    "You're not ok! Let's talk about this!" I shouted back at her
    "I wish I had wings... To fly away and through the eternal blue sky free of worries and feel the wind!...Look.. recently my family's going through some trouble... my parents are divorcing.. and now there's rumors about me at school along with my things going missing all the time.. It's just all so suffocating."
    "I"m just going through a tough time that's all, I'm not going to do anything as stupid as suicide" She turned around and gave me a forced smile
    "There she is!" Someone behind us yelled, as I looked back I saw a group of girls heading our way. Lily was at the center of the group, they were most likely her friends.
    "I-it's fine! We don't need to do this, it's not ****'s fault, she probably had her own problems!" Lily timidly said trying to convince her friends.(What she talking about?! **** didn't bully anyone, she's making it worse!)
    "Fine my @**! What problems?! If she had problems why take it out on you?!" The girl with a ponytail next to Lily shouted
    "Hey! Answer me, what are you doing bullying someone and acting like nothing's wrong! You should at least apologize!" A tall girl with short hair walked towards us
    "B-but I didn't do anything! I never bullied Lily!" **** tried to explain
    "Stop pretending to be innocent! We all know how ugly you are inside!" The tall girl proceeds to walk towards **** and gave her a push
    "STOP!!! DON"T-" I yelled but before finishing *CREAK! *CRASSHH! the railing behind **** broke as she landed on it. Horrified as I watched my friend fall I tried to reach out my hand. I could almost reach her but our hands brushed past each others and she with a shocked expression fell down the high school roof. I was paralyzed, my only friend was about to die yet I can't do anything. (Please god, if you exist please save her) Tears dropped down, lining my face with my hand still stretched out.
    "Aaaaaaaaaahh! S-someone! Go get the teachers!"
    "R-run!! Before anyone gets here!"
    "I-i-it wasn't my fault! I didn't do anything!"
    "I-i didn't know she was going to fall! It's not my fault that she was there!"
    The group of girls were all screaming and running away but I couldn't hear anything. Alone on the roof, I couldn't believe what just happened, just a minute ago we were still talking, if only I had just taken her hand and walked away, if only I stopped that girl from pushing her, if only I had reach her hand and held on. If only...if only then she would still be here by my side.
    A white light flashed and wind flew up from where she fell a white figure flew up. With an angelic face seeming happy, snow white feathered wings behind her, dressed in a long gold and white gown my friend stood before me.
    "It's fine" She softly said before flying off into the blue and eternal sky leaving behind a shocked me...
    ------------------------------------------------------
    After that day 9 years ago she never appeared again, her body was never found, she just disappeared into the sky like she never existed in the first place. Now I'm already 26 years old and married, she's probably happy flying through the sky freely. Snapping out of my thought as I sit in a hospital bed, I looked down at my new baby girl. *creak The door opened and my husband stepped in, I smile as I looked up and saw him.
    "What?" He asked
    "Nothing, I just thought you looked handsome"I replied happily
    "You look beautiful too" I grinned at me "What do you want to name her?" He walked closer and sat on the bed
    "Hmmm... How about ****?" I said
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Years have passed, once again in the hospital but now I'm 83 years old and don't have much time left. As I look out the window and see a golden sunset I think of her. (Ah, I wish I could see her) I thought as I slowly closed my eyes for the last time before a bright light flashed before me. A golden hair angel appeared before me, gently smiling at me.
    "It's been a while, I missed you" I said tearing up. She reached out her hand towards me and I stretched out my hand and grabbed hers...
    -The end

Last edited: Jun 28, 2017
    hillo315, jmf028, Gepytuu and 2 others like this.
  7. faststomps

faststomps Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Title: How I Discovered NU
    Genre: Slice of Life (I Guess)
    Word Count: 720ish.
    No more anime... there I said it. I will not watch another episode of anime. I have lost all the passion I once had when I first discovered it. Just mindlessly watching because I have nothing better to do, being unproductive and not even enjoying it... I will not continue to waste my time this way, but where do I go from here, and what do I do now? My laptop can barely even run minecraft, I barely have any games on my xbox 360... nothing worth playing anyway just random Christmas presents and such, and I've already run my wii dry. Guess I'll try manga for now. I've heard good things about them in the anime community and it might just be what I need to take a break from anime.

As I read these manga I feel something is missing... something anime is also missing... not sure what it is, but they are still better than anime for now.

Only been reading manga for a good week (somewhat laborously at some points) but I've discovered it, the perfect manga for me. Something that still has some cliché events but brings fresh and brand new ideas to the table... Tales of Demons and Gods.

I finally got to the end of what had currently been released and looked and how often it was updated just to have my hopes crushed. It was a manga of course it was released slowly. However, with one update a week for about five minutes I couldn't wait. I looked it up to see if maybe there was even one more chapter that the website I was using didn't have.
    Though the chances were slim as the last update was a week ago, I still typed it in without an ounce of hope. The top few search results were Tales of Demons and Gods with a url with updates in the title. As a self taught manga reader who had no friends to talk to about such topics. I had never heard of these websites, although they didnt suprise me as there was a similar thing for anime aswell.
    I soon saw a url that interested me the most and hooked me onto it by its plain and simple title. As I hit the link that looked the best for me I thought the name was odd as I was searching for a manga and the website was called "novel updates" (I would soon find out that this name would transform and impact my life in a huge way for over a year to come and counting) , although I just figured they branched out into manga at some point. The first thing I read on the page was 'web novel, as soon as I saw this I felt momentary shock soon recalling that I had heard that a lot of manga came from novels, although none had interested me enough to look into enough to do... just a simple bookmark and mental note and onto the next one as I was never huge on reading book other than 1 or 2 special cases. But I soon saw another thing which completely shocked me 'language Chinese' as I had no idea that people translated Chinese novels too. then I looked at the release rate and I thought it was too good to be true... it was perfect, 1 update a day (pretty much) was perfect for me as I couldnt stand waiting. It was also at about 200 chapters which was a ton (or so I thought at the time which is laughable looking back at it now), which I loved since I could continue binge reading the series.
    Once I finished reading TDG I came running back to that same site I saw a few days prior 'novel updates'. Lo and behold it contained a plethora of similar novels for me to similarly binge on and kept me running back for more over... and over... and over again. Nowadays I sit around all day waiting for new releases (I actually read a new release while writing this.) of the series i keep track of and occasionally spotting a new novel to binge on. UNTIL...
    Table of Contents Next Chapter (there is no next chapter we're stuck here forever)
    Just some notes n stuff
    -The table of contents would link to my profile if i had 10 posts :/
    -I did this on my phone so formatting might be off. I'll fix it if i remember to.(I didn't and now I can't xD)
    -had some fun writing this and it took about 3 hours as I basically rewrote the story with my edits :p. the paragraphs probably dont start and end in the right places but i just kinda stuck them in there towards the end so that might be alittle messy and i lost track of the verb tense quite a few times so I gave up on editting after awhile.
    didnt enter it for the rewards as you can probably tell as i just made the account, but i just felt like participating since I had nothing to do and since no one had made their actual story yet i thought i would make my own as im not a great writer and cant make up a great story.
    I also made a second better version of the story but i don't want to replace it with this one nor add a second one to the post as that would be dumb so RIP to better version
    Long live NU.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2017
    akki, Incarneous, Xhzero and 2 others like this.
  8. Gitami

Gitami Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Title: Day 720
    Genre: VR Slice of Life
    Word count: 5,826

A man sits at a bench and checks the floating screen in front of him. His index finger moving the scroll bar in the right side of the screen. He pushes out air from his lungs as his overweight body and full stomach make the task more strenuous resulting in his face looking like an Area 11 caricature of an octopus.

'No updates,' he sighs mentally. The novel he reads have no updates for the last few days, perhaps he should find new stories to follow but the last batch had very few that suit his taste. He sigh mentally again and considers his option. He could do something productive like find a job or he could procrastinate. He chooses the second option, the predetermined answer made before he even thought of his options.

He stood up from the bench and look over Forum Plaza. There were many other users here doing various things like walking, talking, reading, eating, and checking their notices. Glowing red fireflies fly to several people then flies away a few seconds later no longer glowing.

Not feeling like joining others he walks away from the plaza going south on Harem Main. With no idea where he's going he just follows where his feet take him and at the intersection of High School Road he turns east. The storied buildings have their front door open to welcome guests but he doesn't feel like entering. Some are a few chapters tall while others are gargantuan wide. There's not enough entertaining 'meat' in the few chapters building which leaves him unsatisfied and there are too many traps in the wide buildings that can make him rage quit.

He just passed Medieval Street. All roads lead to the red and pink NSFW district but there weren't any new sleeping stories the last time he went and likely not any now.

'Pity,' he thinks to himself and continues walking along Isekai Avenue.

Up ahead is Slice of Life park, not to be confused with Slice of Life Parkway. There are other users here enjoying the park with :D on their faces. He touched his face and found he's already at :} infection stage. There's a hill in the park with an observation deck and he walks over there. Even though there are many tall buildings the telescopes lining the hill can filter them out.

The man considers spending a few NUF dollars on the telescope and called up his stats screen. A box pops up with his name and stats but he just scrolls by quickly, not liking what it displays, unfortunately he didn't win the lottery for op-cheat-skills ring that can boost the stats. It drops like rain for many others but he is convinced he's got the can't-have-op-cheats ability although he's not the only one with the ability as several others also don't have the ring. After checking his NUF balance he decides against using the telescope and just looks westward with his eyes.

On the western horizon are a few gargantuan buildings. Xianxia district. He had walked by there in the past but have not spent any significant time in any of the buildings. He doesn't need to when he could try exploring in the native environment over at tiedba, wenqu, or hbook.

He had the Asian Reading skill with several points in Chinese and a few in Japanese. One day he'll earn enough to put more into Japanese or Korean but for now he can get by with what he already have. Although just the other day over at Ex-gentleman he read a doujin translated into Chinese that gave him a temporary stat boost in intelligence, not just Shakespearean level stat boost but native Illiad level stat boost, in other words he understood not a word he read. There's no way he can level his Dependable Assistant Organiser enough to put enough points to decipher the doujin. But the pictures were entertaining enough.

On the western horizon floating above the buildings is a blimp advertisement belonging to a recent arrival to NU. Their name reminds him of an ancient Chinese empire, QIn, a mighty one now and a mighty one then but the First Emperor was known for the extremely harsh social contract and the burning of disagreeable books and their advocates. Previously others had hawked their goods into engrish and English while others had repackaged a few into other languages but now they have sailed across the Wired Road to sell their boatloads of silken goods themselves. Their goods their right, but the speed at which they obtained land properties and made local heads bow to them have made several people concerned. One concern is the plan to turn the properties into gated communities and another concern is how some building management have been given over to machine administration. The gated community question is up for planning and discussion sometimes down the road and the new lords promised to have better administrators eventually. Meanwhile another company is trying to keep a stake in the Xianxia district and prevent it from being walled off completely.

The man considers, perhaps he should go work for one of them directly or perhaps to one of the heads that bent the knee. Or was it kowtow? Or perhaps he should go freelance and hope he could deliver something worthy of patrons.

Just as he contemplates this the world slows down and the sounds of :D stop and his ears ring from the silence. He calls out to his status box but the screen just hangs. He touches his face, ('__') no infection. Something is happening on Ring's end and the man sigh. He needs to switch service to Mister's Neighbourhood. 5Mbps for 98 is expensive. He hums Mister's Neighbourhood song, 'Would you be mine, could you be mine,' as he pulls out a rectangular device and checks the content. He has Yuusha and her Swordmaster but too bad he doesn't have Are You Busy at World's End loaded, these will have tie him over until his connection to this realm have stabilized.

akki, runsing and Action like this.
  9. HeXie

HeXie Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Title: Belief
    Genre: Slice of Life

Today is the day of graduation. I wonder how many people will stay together and how many will goes their separates way...how soon will we lost touch with one another?

I don't know. I don't want to know either.

I want to belief in the bond I've made with my friends.

However, there is a large part of me that tells me that separation is inevitable and permanent one will happen sooner or later. After all, life is not as kind nor as fair to some people. Good people so often dies earlier than bad people. I want to ask what they ever did wrong...but the will of Gods are not known to people and it is not something meant for mortal beings either.

"Lucia, what are you doing there? The graduation ceremony is over and done with you know?" My best friends ever since we met, Iris, ask interrupting my trail of thought.

"I know that Ris, I just thought of how much longer we will be able to stay together after this...university is waiting and I heard the environment is very different...people separate as easily as spilled water..."

"Eh...who knows...the future is unknown after all...but...even if we separate after this, perhaps like river water, we will meet once again at the river intersection...parting...meeting...in the end the water will spill to the ocean. People meeting, people parting, this is natural state of life...that is why...while we can, we should create memories for us to view in the end...in any cases, I think we will always stay together, maybe not in the physical sense once we part, but in spiritual sense..."

"Eh...it is rare for you to talk that way...have you reach enlightenment and reach the heavens???" I tease her, wanting the atmosphere to lighten just a bit even though I am the one who started the topic. She roll her eyes and grimace but does not say anything, concerning me a bit.

"Iris? What is wrong?"

"...nothing...for now that is..." Iris reply is faint, making it hard for me to hear it.

"Iris?"

"Iris? Hey!" I shout, opening my eyes.

A dream? No...a memory...it has been so long since I dream of that day...how many years it has been since that day...I don't even remember anymore...hey Iris...where are you now? Why is there not any news from you for so long? What happen?

No matter how many questions I ask myself...no matter how many times I search for the answers...there is never any answers coming.

"Mother, how are you feelings?" My eldest daughter ask, coming into the room with some breakfast.

"Hahaha, I'm feeling just fine. It's just a cold. I will be right as rain soon." I answer patting my daughters head.

"Is that so? That's good then. By the way, whose Iris?"

I jump slightly in my bed when I heard the question. Who is Iris, huh? I suppose I have never speak of her to my children...I have never been able to speak of her for a long time since she disappears without any warning. It is the feeling of betrayal I felt back then I think.

Now, though, I think it will be fine. It has been so long after all and I have grown up now. She must have her reasons why she disappears. If not, she will never leave without any warnings whatsoever. She is not that type of girl. So...I suppose, I will have to wait to meet her once again and scold her harshly for leaving without notice all those years ago when we meet one day. I believe I will be able to meet her once more. Now, I suppose I have to answer my daughter question.

"Well...Iris was and is..."

akki and Action like this.
  10. kryner

kryner BYSTANDER BY NATURE

Reading List:
    Link
    Title: Unbridled Grunt
    Genre: Action, Noire
    Word count: 4822

– A Disgruntled Fate.
    The coldness of the room woke me up. Looking around the place there is only dark. Dark and desolate, this is the life of a prisoner of war like me. Locked up for the crimes of fighting on the side I believed on, the side where I believed that I must protect the ideals that my ancestors left me with.

Protecting your land from the people who rather turn it to dust other than being branded as 'evil' and 'intolerant ', just so that they can stay on the good side, not even trying on seeing that darkness hiding in that eerie light of good they seem to be ogling about.

Really, what a pathetic bunch of wussies that has zero beliefs or ideals in them, to think that they would surrender and sold their own people from the foreigners without care. If greed didn't exist maybe they wouldn't have sold this country to them. Still why a mere irrelevant grunt like me should care anyway? This country has been sold out and I am stuck on this stony cage that might never open its doors again.

"Hai...seriously when will the bolted door above me open?"

I have been saying that exact same line for the 678th times now.
    I am really bored to the point that my eyes have been slowly but steadily adjusting to the darkness.

One of my weaknesses back in the battlefield was my night blindness.
    It was so bad that my officers and seniors were telling me to shape up.
    Really, I miss those bastards, I bet even hell is having fun with them being there.

Too bad that I have no intention of seeing their smug filled faces yet, I can't die here and I certainly I won't off myself just because the dark is despairing to look at.

"Foods up."

I look at the source of the voice and with it comes to the unfriendly guard dropping a basket of bread.

It's my meal for the day and since they are probably a lot of prisoners...no 'defiants' around it should be taxing for that unfriendly guard to talk one by one.

Besides, I don't really care of that traitor and the other defiants who merely spoke badly because they finally recognize that the foreigners don't give a shit about their freedom. Too bad it's too late and I don't have any sympathies for the fucks who sold this country to the goddamn foreigners.

They can rot in their underground cells and commit suicide for all I care. Meanwhile, I shall partake of this delicious bread and eat my fill to the point I would be sleepy and sleep. Then do what I do every single day for the last five years of imprisonment.

Trained.

That is right, I trained and maintain my body and never let it become fragile and weak!
    Though I can only use the trapdoors above for pulls up and the ground for pushups and the rest of the tiny room to run around and actually improve my wall running skills that I am trying to develop through the years. It is not that fancy but at least through five years on this damp and humid shithole for a cell that I am able to manage to run on the walls even if they are slippers for a good minute or two.

It’s surprising really, for me to able to achieve that kind of wonder after five years of trying to become an acrobat in this cell. Honestly, if it wasn't for the fact that I am trapped in this bastardy place, I wouldn't have made a fuss on learning on how to become a rather good acrobat.

"What a mess this life is..."

I said that wearily while pushing myself up only for a sudden explosion to happen above my cell. Standing up and running up the wall. I peek and saw the whole ceiling open up, what then welcome my sight was a violet hole opening up in the sky. Seeing everything being sucked up in the instant. I jump down dumbfounded back in the ground and tilted my head saying.

"You have to be kidding me right?"

Following that the violent sky bent the whole world and my back was violently slammed into the walls. With it, I was knocked unconscious. However, after a while, I woke up and when I look up to see if I was dead. What welcomed me is everything looking the same.

"Was that a dream?"

Asking that, I climbed back up and peek in the cells only to see a group of people walking in front of a blonde woman wearing a black longcoat. Striding arrogantly into the cells.,I who was staring at her caught her eye and because of that I quickly leap down and grabbed my beating heart.

"What the hell is happening?"

What I saw was just too shocking that my heart keeps beating fast. Flood of questions appeared on my mind and finally, I began to ask why.

Why are they arrogantly walking around dressed like that?

Why are the black coats allowed to walk around?

Don't tell me they infiltrated this facility?

"Hey, you there."

A voice called out and what followed is the blonde woman wearing a black longcoat peeking inside my cell. Blue eyes and a pale complexion, the blonde woman with eye bags on her faced asked again.

"What are you here for?"

"I should be the one asking that. If you came here to rescue a lonely Black Coat then you should be really thinking ahead. If you guys are what I think you are then you should have stayed hidden until you can fight back. Spending your time is pretty stupid to think to do...though I admit that seeing you all here free is a good thing."

"What are you talking about that comrade? I am asking why someone that is clearly a member of the black coats is. Locked up in this cell, did someone lock you up here as a joke? Or did you do something that warrants you to be here?"

"Huh? Are you trying to mess with me? We lost the war and now because of it I am stuck in this cell."

"HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA"

The Black Coat's laughed at my response.

"Comrade, are you dreaming? Ah, did you get too drunk in your service that you ended up delusional? Wait a second."

The Blonde woman turns around and instructed the followers behind her back to get the key. Following that, her follower took the keys for my cell and opens it up. The Blonde woman extended her hand in the cell and said.

"Here, let me help you, comrade."

Confused, I just run up the walls and grab the edge of the cell's door and jump into the ground. The Black Coats look at me with surprise while the blonde woman asks.

"Are you an acrobat comrade?"

"I spent years in that place. And can you guys please explain this running joke of yours? I don't understand it and It is really lovely if you explain it to me."

"Like I said, what the hell are you talking about comrade? It's January 3, 1950, already. It has been days from the New Year and yet you are still talking drunk."

“You are joking right?"

I asked, baffled.

"Why should I? Honestly, Comrade, if I weren't off duty today then I probably would have you in disciplinary actions for talking to me like that. But, since I am feeling quite great due to our economy being rather good, I let you off for now. So what is your name Comrade?"

"Lukas Simon..."

"Lukas eh,"

The blonde woman beckoned with her chin and ordered the officer behind her to look up my name. The officer immediately went out and checked the logbooks and whispered in the ear of the woman.

"1st Lieutenant Lukas Simon, you seem to have been locked up for punching a senior officer in the face for harassment...normally I would have you hanged for it but it seems your actions were justified and got locked up as punishment."

"..............."

I keep my mouth shut while carefully observing the surroundings. The place was the same but there was something different that made me wonder if that dream I saw was not really a dream. The blonde woman keeps on talking and while she was talking, I asked her some vague questions and finally when I confirmed my suspicions...it seems I have gone crazy. Everything she told me feels so off that it made me wonder if I was dead or that hole in the sky ate and killed me and this place is a secret hell for those who abandoned his comrades and escape alone. The blonde woman then noticed my listless stares and said.

"Are you listening?"
    "Yes, I am..."

I look at the badge on the blonde woman's emblem and recognize she is a commissioner officer. Acknowledging that, I raised my hand to my forehead and saluted her saying.

"Greeting Commissioner Maria! Pardon me for being rude just now."

"At ease comrade," She said. "You seems to have rather confuse so let us just forget about it.

"But!" One of the officers behind her intervened only for her to raised her hand and said. "I said it is enough, I am in a good mood right now comrades so you better not ruin it."

"I apologize for that ma'am." The soldier saluted and stepped back, shutting his mouth tight. The woman turns his attention back to me and said. "And as for you Lieutenant Lukas, can you please dress properly? A soldier of this nation mustn't dress disgracefully. We have an image to preserve and we must do everything we can in order to the people not to lose their respect towards us. Is that understood?"

"Clearly, Ma'am!" I saluted.

"Good, now return back to your room and wait for further commands. I hereby declare your punishment over. Now go and never do it again Comrade."

"Thank you, Ma'am"

I saluted as she the blonde woman and groups following her continued on walking to the other cells and started laughing at the prisoners. Moving away from my cell, I went to the counter of the room and demanded my clothes back. The one handing the main counter didn't put a fuss and handed my uniform and the famous long black coat my country is proud of. Wearing them in the dressing room, I took a look in the mirror and started cleaning myself up and shaved my beard and trimmed my silver blonde hair. Finishing my cleaning, I adjusted my uniform and black longcoat as I then went out of the building and entered the streets.

"What the hell is this..."

I look at the heavily industrialized yet familiar buildings and finally when I saw an automobile and the flags of the black coats. I rubbed my eyes and pinch my cheeks in order to make sure that I was not dreaming. Feeling the pain in my check, I have then come to the conclusion that this world is not the world I used to know. And that somehow I found myself in a world parallel to different to what I remember.

Ch – 0: Gestapo

I had no memories on what happen. Aside from the fact that, I am now in some twisted world where my nation won, there is nothing inside my head that suggests anything.

“What do I do?”

I asked myself this question while staring at the automobiles that are passing by me. Smoke, and the engines roaring baffled me for a moment. Regaining my consciousness, I look around, look at the badge on my uniform and figured out that like the commissioner said; I am a 1st lieutenant within the Gestapo’s. And somehow I punched a senior officer.
    I wonder what could be the reason that I did so. Could it be that we disagreed on something or did I somehow offended him or that officer offended me enough for me to punch him in the face?

“What do I do?”

I repeated myself and turned my eyes towards the black flag that has an iron cross in the middle of it, with its edges curved and has a tint of red. I proudly looked at the flag waving arrogantly up in the sky. It filled me with a sense of drive, thus I searched for anything only to find the ring of mine that has an insignia of a fierce wolf in sheep’s clothing.

The insignia that signifies my ties to the Gestapo, the organization where I supposedly fight for the good of the nation, I am rather in joy about all of this. But the problem of mine is that this place isn’t what I am used to. I have no memories of anyone and even my parents, or anything other than that I am Lukas Simons, a Gestapo of the Volk.

It honors me that I can fight for the Volk again but this world...despite being similar to mine isn’t the world that I fought for. But despite that, with nothing to go home to, no place or comrades that I even know...the only thing I could do is either despair or keep going.

And despairing at the face of the unknown isn’t my style. Even though it will be rather terrible, I have no choice but to live through this parallel word different from mine in order to survive. That is why, I decided not to despair, and look for anything that could help me. Searching my pockets, I grab a pocket notepad, opened it, turned the pages and examined it.

As I did, addresses, bank accounts and certainly phone numbers of those I am contact with were listed. Thankfully being a Gestapo, made me write notes and since I have now known my schedule and the place that I am living. I decided to call for transportation by raising my hand. A commuting taxi noticed me and approached me. Opening his door, I head inside the automobile. And saw an honest looking man wearing simple clothing greeting me.

“Good noon Sir.” The driver said politely

“Good noon to you too, can you take me to the Siren’s St?”

“Certainly Sir will do.”

The driver nodded his head and step on the pedal. Having no reason to talk to the driver, I turned my attention to the road and waited until I arrived at the place. While doing so, I noticed the cement and brick buildings, the banners of the Volk and the marching soldiers keeping the peace. Wearing black coats, and assault rifles to boot, the soldiers were certainly intimidating enough that even a drunk who was carrying a bottle of whiskey straighten up and saluted the passing soldiers of the volk.

The travel took at least fifteen minutes. The nation of Volk is about 150,983 mi² big and when we were traveling, there were soldier parades and marching bands parading the strength of the nation of Volk. Thus finally when I arrive at Siren St, I was about to pay the driver when he showed me his palm, then pointed his finger to my ring, saying. “Gestapo’s officers are free of charge Sir.” Which I can only reply with a nod and a trivial thank you to the driver before stepping out of the automobile, planting my legs into the pavement and closing the door.

Facing the apartment block that has curves and banners hanging on the front walls, I step forward to the door, grabbed the handle and turned it open. Entering inside, wooden laded, a fine aesthetic design, the floor is rather fine looking. I walk forward, climbed the stairs and went to the second floor where my room is located.

Aside from me, there is a person living next door. I have no idea who this person is but judging by the name of the person, I can at least assumed that the person is a female. Climbing upstairs, I went to the door of my room, took out my keys, entered it the keyhole and turned it clockwise and opened it. Seeing the rather neat room, I almost cannot believe myself and entered.

“Hm?” I heard a door open. Turning my head, I saw a fine woman with blonde braided hair, blue eyes, an hourglass yet athletic figure and certainly someone that has a face of a fierce beauty. The woman stared at me for awhile, before her eyes turned red. “What are you looking at you cheater?” she said, looking at me with a rather angry expression.

“Excuse me.” I did not have the time nor I know the lady so I just nod my head, entered my room and was about to close it when the woman who I talked suddenly shouted. “Ignoring me already!”
    A hand touched my shoulder, and as I get turned around, I saw her right-hand curling to a fist towards my head. I dodged by tilting my head, taking a step I used my left hand to touch the lady around her waist, and then I tripped her legs, making her lose her balance.

“Did I offend you?” I asked.

“You...What games are you playing now Lukas you two timing fucker!” She shouted.

“I do not understand what is lady...” I thought for a while, “Rita Dohna would be so offended?”

“Let go of me you creep!” She said, struggling away from my grip.

Pulling a pistol from her waist, I used my hands to grab her pistol, pushed the button on the side to eject the magazine and cock it in order to disarm her. Pulling myself back, I grab her right arm, twisted it towards her back and asked. “What did I do to Miss Rita? Can you explain it to me?”

“The nerve of you to suddenly not remember” She shouted, “I bet you were having a fun time with some other lass down in Wistiven Street aren’t you? You didn’t even come to dinner after so many excuses and now you are playing games again! I have it with your excuses and now you are ignoring me? I am done!”

“Okay.” I took a step back, looking at the shouting woman. I probably have a relation with her and seeing that she might know me, I said. “I am sorry but in the past days after being imprisoned…I somehow lost my memor—“

“Yeah, right bullshit!”

I felt a smack on my cheek and Rita, the name of the woman who I have a relationship with, grab the magazine on the floor and immediately walked out of the stairs angrily.

I tried honestly so seeing that she does not want to listen. I do not have any wanting to explain myself further. Thus, I went into my room, took my black longcoat off and left it the hook on my door and immediately scoured the area for anything that I can know the ‘me’ of this place.

Four hours of searching through the archives of my room, twenty documents containing secrets, one book that is my diary dating three months after I became a Gestapo. That I finally understood at least some of my history of the ‘me’ living in this world, no family and only living through debauchery and un-loyal attitude, no wonder Miss Rita would hate a two, no a four timing scumbag ‘me’.

“Despicable…”

I insulted my own damn self and turned to my attention outside the window. Dark and dim, the light shine casted down on the road while the lamps keep the street dimly lit. It is night time, and so far, I have stayed hours and sooner or later dawn will come. The swaying flag of the Volk, the automobiles running late on the road, I cannot help but feel a bit confused at this ‘won’ world.

The Volk my nation could be this beautiful if we won, but yet in this world where peace exists and only the red ones are the other superpower that can attack us. How can I not feel happy? Although from the reports that I read there are detractors and infiltrators, finding any red scum will probably be much easier to do so. I just only need to sniff them and I can find any red leaning parasite trying to subvert this city.

It will take a time to do so but certainly, I will do better than the ‘me’ who only wrote that he patrolled the streets where a bar and the red light district is located. Leaning and relaxing for a second. I stood away from my messy desk, took my black longcoat and went out of my room. Outside my room, I heard two heavy footsteps. Walking up the stairs, a man carrying Miss Rita looked at me— furrowed his brow and said. “Get out of my way.”

I did what he asks and went to the side. The man snickered and muttered ‘Cuckold’ and hearing it I cannot help but warn him. “Better watch out what you say to a Gestapo, I might have to ‘arrest’ you for going against authority.”

“Tsk…” The man snickered and was about to enter Miss Rita’s door when I stop him by grabbing his shoulder. “Let me take care of her…she doesn’t need some creep to molest her.”

“Fuck you…even if you are a Gestapo I did a lot to get her this dru—“
    He pursed his mouth as I smile at him deviously. “Want to try me?”

“Fuck you then.”

He laid Miss Rita on the ground rudely and left the building with rage. Squatting near Miss Rita, I lightly shook her shoulder and tap her rosy cheeks. “Hey wake up Miss Rita…”

“Hm?” She blinked and looked at me. “Oh…Lukas, it’s you….!”

Her face turned to a demon and as if she was a mad dog, she pushed me to the ground, mounted my stomach and raised her fist down towards me. I raised my hand, and blocked her listless attacks before using my arms to push her away and grab her hands. “Calm down now…”

“You where is that nice lad!” She said.

“I chased him away. He had eyes that want to ravage you, Miss Rita.” I replied.

“Then let him be! Why do you care when you have four other gals to have fun and play with! Leave me alone!”

“Well…even if you do not believe me, but right now I did have my memories nonexistent…But anyway, as long as you are not harmed then you are free to do what you please.”

I said, standing up and dusting my knee from the dust. Miss Rita stood up shakily and grabbed my collar. “You…you sound different…and you don’t scratch your ear when you are lying…”

“I am not lying, though?” I replied.

“You lose your memories? How did that happen then?”

“I do know myself. All I know is that I just woke up in a cell and have no memories…though it would be nice if you something about me. But looking at you…looks like that isn’t possible.” I smiled.

“Hmm, you lack the bullshit…and you seem less of an asshole…and for you to be a less of an asshole. Yep, you really did lose your memories didn’t you?” She said dryly.

“Maybe I did? I honestly don’t know and I feel a bit lost right now.”

“Looks like it…but doesn't expect me to forgive you just because you lost your memories…” She scowled. “You piece of shit…how dare you to cheat on me after so long….”

“I apologize for my actions. It is your right to forgive me and certainly, it is also your right not to forgive me. It is your choice after all.”

“Hah, for an asshole like you to say that…fine I will believe you for now but forgiving you is a bit off to me.” She said. “After all, your break your promise broke my heart…and now you are trying something again.”

Miss Rita looked a bit down. I wanted to say something but looking at her sad face as she walks into her room. I could only close my mouth and say.” Good night” as she shut her door.

With her room locked up tight, I went down the stair, and outside the building where the yellow light of the sun slowly casts upon the road. The cool yet lukewarm wind caressed my face but remembering that I have a mission to do according to the notepad of mine. I did not waste time and traveled down the road and to the place where the red scum is scheming.

A bizarre world it may be but my duty doesn’t stop from here.

…….
    I arrive in the place where the red scum’s are. It was a warehouse located near the banks of the river. Old, rusted, and certainly a place where you need to avoid, this place was heavily guarded. I entered through the door, I saw red scum wearing a sickle and hammer insignia proudly on his chest, I decked him, could feel his neck crack, but I didn’t give any sympathy.

I walked to this metal pathway, I made sure to put weight on my steps so I won’t make noises, but as I continue, I could smell smoke in the air, it came from the other side of the door, probably from a cigar that these red scum’s smuggled.

Door was locked, so there was no other way around other than the small entry way. I could see a rusted pipe above, so I walled run and grabbed hold. Could hear a bit of squeaking inside the pipe, probably rats but I ignored it as passed through the entry point. I saw the red scum smoking, wielding a typical rifle on his hand. The scum was undisciplined, his trigger finger was holding the trigger, and despite that there were gas tanks, and oil near him, he was still doing this.

I could not take it anymore so I dropped down, locked my legs tight on the neck of the scum and twisted my hips as I cracked the neck of the idiot. I then continued climbing the flight of stairs.

My boots scraped the ground silently; outside I could hear the rain falling down on the hipped roofs of this warehouse. I moved carefully, spotted a man and probably the whole of them.

I can guess that they are the ringleaders; they even have the guts to open their communications around so easily without any warning or encryption. Heck, I could transfer all of this information back to the Gestapo headquarters and get awarded for my service.

I spotted a rifle, a grenade and a switchblade lying around. I sneakily walk to those things, grabbed them and armed them. I took the pin of the grenade; let it cook for a bit before letting it roll towards the ringleaders.

Boom, the grenade went off and they exploded. Most of them died, and when I was about to make sure none of them are alive, the door opened at the left side, I saw another ringleader, and before he can draw his weapon, I used my rifle to pinpoint shot his rifle, his arms and the radio he had.

Seeing that his weapon is down, his radio busted. The ringleader tried to run, I was fast, and I trained myself so I was able to quickly chase down and navigated to chase the remaining ringleader.

He was fast in his own rights, and even though he lock down the doors, I was able to pass through using my acrobatic skills, and when he was about to burst through a door, he got stuck, and because of that I was able to use the butt of the rifle, and hit the stomach of the ringleader.

The ringleader coughed, but I never expected him to disarm me. I then dodged his blows, and counted with a jab, a straight hook and hit to the jaw using my elbow. The ringleader shed blood, and he took something out from his sleeves, revealing to be a pistol.

He tried to shoot me, but I dodge. I felt my cheeks burn, but it didn’t stop me from doing a haymaker towards the ringleader. Grabbing his pistol and pointing it at his forehead.

“I surrender so please don’t kill me-“

Bang.

I shot the ringleader right in the forehead. His rolled up, and I could see blood pouring out like a faucet, flowing down to the floor. I stood up, and then searched the ringleader.

But as I did, I felt a cold metal in the back of my forehead. I raised my arms, but I could feel that the one holding the gun didn’t have any wanting to take me alive, so I butted the pistol with the back of my head, I rotated my lower body and kicked the assailant right at the side of his neck.

He dropped his gun down, and I took it. The man stood up quickly, but I merely shot his kneecaps, and then stomped my right foot on his chest. Defiant as he was, the man was about to make some speech but I said instead.

“Die red scum.”

And shot the man twice in the head. Pool of blood happened, and with the man dead, I resumed my searching and found out two documents from them. There were also a CD that contains intel from their superiors.

It looks like I have to kill more of them...

akki, runsing and Action like this.
  11. jmf028

jmf028 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Title: "Five Seconds of Madness" aka "Everyone's A Chicken"
    Genre: Satire
    Word count: 836
    I feel good about this one ;)
    It was a day like any other day.

Jack was in the kitchen, knife raised, his hand shaking from reluctance to do the deed he felt must be done.
    Carter was helping his ninety-year-old grandmother across the street; a brutal challenge of patience for anyone.
    Michael had been drinking. With one hand on the bottle, his other gripped the wheel. He was going seventy on a thirty-five. Michael... was a Class-A dick.
    Hannah was giving birth. The balding father, and the long-haired, male doctor were in vast contrast to the already juxtaposed lime green wall and dark orange ceiling.
    Sammy gripped the phone, her cries of mercy mixed with the questioning of the officer on the other end creating a panicky situation for her assailant armed with but a single kitchen knife.
    Gregory sat in silence whilst the bars to his cell seemed to dare him to squeeze through. The length between the poles were stretched far apart from each other, but were just close enough to cut off any hope of escape.
    Rick was whispering profanities as true love's grip became more vice-like. His hand was purple, but he knew that at this moment, his wife was going through even more pain than he.
    Martha moved at an extremely slow pace, but someone seemed to be helping her to the other side of the street. He was a handsome young man, and his touch felt familiar, as if they could have been... related?

Then... someone who could only have been an internet troll decided to play a little trick on the world.

As Jack lunged forward,
    and Carter spotted a large vehicle,
    and Michael ran a red light,
    and Hannah pushed her last push,
    and Sammy braced for the knife's impact,
    and Gregory, in a furious rage, ran straight for the bars,
    and Rick was about to yell, "Push!",
    and Martha tripped on her own foot,

... everyone in the world... became a chicken.

Well, the knife hit the sink's piping, causing a burst of water to spear Jack's wing. Jack was in the air now - the pressure hard enough to push his body backward.
    The vehicle, now mysteriously greater in size than it was seconds before, drove completely over Carter, missing him by a feather. He let out an involuntary cluck, watching the spectacle unfold around him. The speeding pick-up was about to collide with another automobile.
    Michael's truck hit another, but as he flew through the air, he noticed two chickens crossing the road - a look of confusion in their beady-eyed faces. He wondered why, when suddenly his own inebriated mind joked, "to get to the other side". This was the poor schmuck's last thought.
    As Hannah let out a final, "Bwa-kaaa!", a small egg flew out of her nethers, hitting the doctor's now soft, fluffy face before safely landing on the ground.
    Sammy withdrew her face from her wing; her shield from reality. On the other line, came a questioning, "Bawk?" to which she answered back with a reassuring, "Bawk." I've somehow escaped death, she thought, waddling hurriedly out the front door.
    Gregory ran his beak into the wall just outside his cell. Turning around, his head dazed from the impact, he noticed the cell was much larger than he remembered.
    Rick, in mid-yell, was slower to turn than the others, as the internet troll knew he was deathly afraid of poultry. "Puuu...aawkaah!" was the utter nonsense that came out of his throat. His mind, taking a quick second to process what it had just heard, realized what had happened and began to tremble in pure, mindless terror.

Martha had absolutely no idea what was going on.

For 2 seconds this lasted... then 3... then 4. Finally, the 5th second expired, and the magic veil was lifted from the Earth. Everyone had returned to normal.
    Jack, unfortunately, did not survive the jet of water, but not because of the force with which it hit him. He had fallen on his own knife, that had conveniently (or inconveniently) dropped from the pipe with which it collided, and landed blade-upward between two kitchen tiles that had been separated by an ever-widening hole caused naturally over time. His girlfriend, Sammy, had escaped his wrath. Years later, she would be seen living with her family of chicken breeders in North Carolina.
    Carter and his grandmother, Martha, stared at the wreckage that had befallen the area. Martha looked up at her grandson, saying, "Damn kids these days and their reckless driving!" Carter was awestruck, no expression could be made that would capture the conflicting feelings he felt at that moment.
    Hannah and her husband, Rick, looked at one another in complete confusion, as the doctor picked up the unharmed egg from the floor, looked the mother in the eye, crossed his fingers and said, "Hope it's a girl."
    Gregory would never be able to fully explain what had happened that day, but he relished the fact that he now had an absolutely stellar story to tell his pals at the bar.

In some corner of space, the internet troll still lurks... biding his time before he makes his next move:

Rabbits!

THE END

Last edited: Jul 2, 2017
  12. Myross17

Myross17 [Queen of Underworld] [Immortal Cultivator]

Reading List:
    Link
    Title: I Fell In Love In My Favorite Character
    Genre: Supernatural, Comedy, Fantasy
    Words: 1,597

-This is my first try and i made it for an hour or two, so, there are lots of grammatical error. Everything in this story is just made by my imagination except my name-

I look in my phone and sigh. Another boring day for the boring person in the world, me.

Just like my daily routine, I woke up late, as I always sleep late at night or maybe too early in the morning, brush my teeth and take a shower then lay on my bed to open my account in novelupdate and read another story in my reading list that has yet to be read by me.

I was in the most important part of the story where the male lead died in the hands of his biggest enemy.

I don’t want him to die! Why would he need to die! What will happen to the female lead if he die?! No! Don’t kill him!

I repeated said in my mind. Like a chant to stop him to die.

As I don’t want him to die, I stupidly throw my phone due to my too much emotion and a very scary thunder heard inside my room. The lights and all the electronic inside my room turned off. The day became night due to heavy thunder storm.

I’m scared in the dark. What’s happening?!

Another lightning that brings light in my room and I saw in the corner where I throw my phone a man who’s heavily injured.

I suck my breathe.

Who is he? Why is he covered with wounds and bloods? Why is he holding a sword dripping with fresh blood? Is he a shinigami that will fetch my soul to bring to meet hades and judge my boring life?

No! I don’t want to die yet! I still didn’t finish reading all the novels in my reading list!

I gather all my courage and while the man is still in his confused state, I pick my favorite hello kitty pillow.

“Sorry my kitty, I need to sacrifice you” I whisper then throw the pillow using my strength.

I don’t know what happened. Maybe I am too strong in the man or maybe he is really injured that he has no strength to avoid my ultimate attack to make him fall in the floor and send to dream land.

As I try to approach him, I pick another ultimate weapon, my other kitty pillow and look to the sleeping yet gorgeous man on earth.

Who would have thought that this man is too handsome for my eyes to take?

My mind is running different Ideas and one that I can say to you is that all the ideas I thought is abput me raping this gorgeous man!

Oh no! He looks like the description in the novels I read. Too handsome, jade-like that almost transluscent pore-less skin, sword-like eyebrow with a beautiful long eyelashes, upright nose, and a red rosy thin lips, and the most important thing is, the beautiful shinigami is actually wearing an ancient Chinese clothing just like in the description in the latest novel I read just a while ago.

Is he? Really?

I felt I wiggle my imaginary cat-tail while touching my face with both hands then a drool fall in my mouth.

When the light comes, I am now sitting in the floor and poking his beautiful face.

I really can’t believe that there is actually a person as handsome as him. I mean, even all the actors and models I saw won’t be as good-looking as him.

Is he alive?

I put my face in his chest to hear if he is still breathing and to check whether he really has a sturdy body just like in the story… but before I can do it he actually open his very attractive phoenix-like eyes and narrowed at me like I am his prey that needs to dispatch. I felt shiver down my spine, the room felt like I’m in South Pole… too cold yet I sweat hard.

Before he can hold back his sword and slash me to two pieces, I put my hands up.

“I didn’t do it! I didn’t rape you… yet! Please spare my life Mr. Shinigami huhuhu” I cried as hard as I can even my nose is crying and it taste yucky. I don’t care how I look like now. I still wants my life because I remember how cold and scary the character of this man, if he really is the male lead in the book.

“Who are you? Where am I? If you say the truth I won’t torture you to death”

“You’ll still kill me huhuhu”

He wave his sword and slice two strands of my hair.

Shit. He’s scary. Lord help me. I am too young to die. I didn’t even try to date anyone and I don’t want to die virgin.

“D-Don’t kill me. It was you who came to my room without notice! H-How dare you to k-kill an innocent cute girl inside my very own room in my very own parents’ house!” I cover my coward self and even my knees shaking, I tried to act tough and pointing my fingers at him while gulping my own saliva.

He wrinkled. I think he’s thinking and trying to absorb the environment.

“Are you one of the Liu Sheng’s men?”

“Liu Sheng? Who is he—?” then I remember. “A-Are you… Ouyang Jing?” the male lead that supposed to die in the story that I just read?

He nodded.

I almost faint in his confirmation.

What’s happening? Why is he here?

It’s been a week since Ouyang Jing arrived in my world. When my parents found that I bring a man in the house, my dad faint while my mom is too happy that she even cook every dishes I love to eat the most.

I really can say the Ouyang Jing, just like in the description in the story, is a genius and I was glad about it. He might be curious but didn’t destroy our house… well, he just almost destroy the television when he first saw it saying that there are person inside the box and why did we capture them and such. I’m glad that I stop him before it happen.

I felt I have a kindergarten that I am teaching like how to use telephone, laptop, refrigerator, etc. and even how to enter a car.

I also discover how cunning the person in ancient. Like how he acts cute in front my parents but when we are alone, he always threaten me on how he will kill me if I didn’t listen to all his command… but one thing I discover but I don’t want to admit. I think I fall for him, that no matter what kind of order he gives me, I always listen to him without second thought.

But he is not from this world. How can I tell him that he came from the story that I read and that he is destined to die? That the female lead is bearing his child and waiting for him? Can I be selfish even once? I mean, he’ll die in the story in the end so, it’s better if he stay with me, right?

“My Xu’er is waiting for me” He says then look at me, “How can I go back?”

“Don’t you want to stay here? Don’t you like this place?” I almost choke as I felt something is in my throat.

He shook his head. “I like this place but—“

“But Lin Xu is waiting for you. I know that”

“Do you know how can I go back?”

Of course I don’t know! I don’t even know how you arrive here -___-

“Maybe… Maybe if I throw my phone at you, just like I did before, you’ll go back where you came from”

Just like what I suggest, we did it. I open the story where I was last read and ready to throw my phone where he exactly I saw him.

I look at him. He really is handsome… but my heart aches. Do I really not going to see him again? Do I really need to send him back? Why do he needs to go back even when knowing he’s going to die? Why does he needs to love her when she’s the one who makes him suffer and make him fell in the hands of his enemies? Why do every male lead once they feel the love, they’ll sacrifice their lives for them?

Ouyang Jing I am here for you but… but why do you need to go back for her? Why?

“Thank you”

“Huh?”

“Thank you because you’re here for me when I am stranded in this strange place… and you didn’t leave me even I threaten your life”

“because…” I inhale, “Because I—I like you Ouyang Jing. I really, really like you” and then just like before, I throw my phone at him because of too much emotion.

It hurts, it really, really hurts.

The phone struck on his head leaving a lump on his head.

Ooops! Hehehe peace.

Before he vanish, he smile at me and said. “I like you too… just like my little sister. Thank you, Myross”

</3

My heart is broken in million pieces. Little sister?! The heck! Inside the book, he is only 21 years old while I am in my 23 years! How can I become your little sister!! Go back here and I’ll spank your butt!

And just like that. My world is back to its reality and I learned that it all was just a dream. A very long dream -___-

akki, AliceShiki and Action like this.
  13. Slayerwolfx2

Slayerwolfx2 [Immortal Forever]

Reading List:
    Link
    Title: What has began shall seal the end
    Genre: Fantasy like, Life, short story.
    Words: 154~

Sometimes it's impossible to survive just with a strong will and mental fortitude. Sometimes you can't see the end, you need a rest, you can't go on.
    A student's life, a fighter's thoughts, and... Nothing.

A story that has no end doesn't exist, and the fact that you can't see it means nothing, because it will end at some point.

Endless sleepless hours and countless finished novels. What's left to do anymore?

What to read in a abysmal labyrinth filled with the good, the bad, the amazing and the worst. How do you know that the path you take is the right one amongst all of the others?

You don't!

And in this treasure hunt, a helping hand appeared. A hand that united everyone. A hand that sealed this endlessness.

Recommendations, reviews, a gathering place for all novels , and most of all... A community... Novel Updates.

Cheers for 2nd anniversary ;)

Last edited: Jul 2, 2017
    jmf028 and Action like this.
  14. HumanSashimi

HumanSashimi Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Title: NU Guild(One Shot)
    Genre: Fantasy, Shounen

*Boom!

*Crash!

*zap *zap

‘Ahhh! It hurtsss!’

My body is hurting so bad after being caught by the explosion and the impact from being blown away.

What is left of me is that of a half naked person with a tattered shorts, twitching from the tormenting pain.
    As I regained my hearing after a temporary deafening, I tried to force out the smoke hurting my lungs out of my mouth with a few coughs.

*cough *cough *cough

As I regain the comfort of breathing, I then forcefully lift my head upfront to finish my final mission…

‘Oh, it’s white… I can die happy’

A few minutes earlier…

Hello, my name is Reven Peels. I am now currently joining a new guild. And this will be my third guild since birth. What are guilds you say? Guilds are like companies where the CEO are called guild masters, and the slaves are called guild members. Where the jobs of the members are to acomplish tasks suitable for their ranks ranging from F to SS rank. The Guild would then reward money and Guildpoints use for training your specific guild magics… ah, I recall those newbie F rank viewing ads tasks.

“Oy”

I was always a stealthy member in my past two guilds, but still I have finished training all of my wanted magics up to the max level. On the Animu Guild I have maxed out my fantasy, action, sci-fi, romance, and mecha magics. I also maxed their counterparts on Manggu Guild, with a slight addition of gender-bender and ecchi magics… even with the Guild’s harder training compose of only reading story-drawings of magic-authors.

I could be considered S rank on both my past Guilds where SS ranks are those who have mastered magics of all kinds on their List.

And now I would be joining a new Guild with even harder training of only reading magic tablets, transcribed by magic-translators of various ranks translating light N-tablets from varying languages ranging from ancient to foreign.

All in order to defeat one foe… My Sister, Deenon Peels. SS rank in various Guilds. On the real life union guilds: Math in all divisions of elementary, highschool, and Hell. Science in Physics and Chemistry. Bird watching, Animal Petting, and most of all… her only fiction magic guild… the strong, Literature Guild.

“Ooy”

Ever since I was a child, I have never defeated her once in any of those fields with her magic IQ of 180. My meager 151 magic IQ cannot possibly defeat her.

So instead of being an elite shark attempting to defeat a boss shark on the ocean I plan to learn the ways of a bird in catching a fish to catch the boss shark off-guard. Which is the best situation to describe me right now.

My sister is so strong amplified by her love on those magics, results in making a lastboss-like being. Me without love on those things, with my less talent have no choice but to fight using also my love.

“Oooy!”

As I am thinking all of these I was brought back to reality by a shout.

In front of me is a little lady with short brown hair who looks like a highschool student. Why? Because she’s wearing a highschool uniform, haha… my joke is so funny. My outside look is stoic but I’m talkative and fun on the inside, I’m just the shy type.

“OoooOooy!!”

I’m brought back to reality again by a familiar shout.

“What?” I replied to the little lady which is now emitting sparks of electricity.

The reply that I got is a railgun…

‘Oh Shit’

As the bright light grew closer I began to recall something…

‘Oh, I’m currently in an interview with Guild master Zapzap’

*Boom!

And these marks my beginning at the NU Guild.
    To avoid drinking about 1h worth of boredome juice, I decided to join.

Xhzero and Action like this.
  15. shad12ow

shad12ow 『Semi-Offline』

Reading List:
    Link
    Title : The Strange Realm
    Genre : Fantasy-like, Slice of Life, Diary-ish
    Word Count : 4058
    My name is Shadow, and this is my experience.

Introduction first. I’m just one of those many entities that roam the world, looking for something interesting to experience. I can’t say I’m the most boring companion one could have, but I’m certainly far from what one could call a barrel of fun. I’m just one of those regular entities you can find floating around the world. Yes, just your regular ol entities.

So what is the experience I’m going to talk about? Well, they are varied and many. And since they are quite a bit I want to tell, let’s start from the beginning.

One day when I was just minding my own business, rolling around the empty space, I saw a small light from afar. At first, I do not even look at it. But for some reason, it keeps bugging me. I rolled around and around from one place to another, but that light keeps bothering me. It took me quite some time before my curiosity gets the better of me. And thus, away I went, flying toward said source of light.

To my surprise, my destination is a large empty world. Well, not exactly empty. I have to say there are a few interesting…doors? Yes. Gates. Doors. Entrances. Whatever the term is, they are that. In short, it is a hub. A hub for many places? World? Realm? Let’s go with anything. It’s a hub. End of explanation. And I’m quite surprised at how many worlds or realms it can lead too.

Oh, before I continue, it is worth mentioning that I found that light when I was floating around a hub too. I don’t’ know why, but I think I need to mention that.

Now, where were we? Oh, the hub realm. Yes. The hub realm is quite interesting. There are many entities like me there. Of course, I know none of them. I saw some coming from the hub realm from earlier, but I never really know any of them. We’re just stranger. As simple as that. And I’m quite content at that.

They open each door and I took a peek. I was mesmerized. So vibrant and so interesting. Even from that little peek, I could see that. And thus I open another door and enter the world by myself.

Sure enough, it is as I expected. They are vibrant and exciting. I then spend my time there, exploring the world. No. I spend my time exploring the many worlds there. Door after door, a new adventure I can expect. One with grungy world, devoid of any hope where one seed full of faith develops. One with fantasy realm, full of opportunity where one insignificant creature rose to be one of the most feared one. One within a concrete jungle, cold and emotionless, yet I can spot a pair of entity trying their best to keep each other’s warmth from vanishing by staying close throughout their trouble. Or maybe one confusing realm that I just can’t imagine why one could even stay there.

I was mesmerized and fascinated. Of course, I am an entity that is easily mesmerized and fascinated. It’s no surprise that I get fascinated by them, right? But I get the same feeling over and over again. With each new door appeared, I expect new experience from them. And most of the time, I have received what I expected.

I forgot when, but one day I noticed a sign on one of the door. That was quite rare for me since I usually just enter the door or gate without minding them one bit. But I guess at that time, I was a bit more attentive than usual. What I saw, you ask? It was a simple message that one might create their own realm. I feel…excited? No, that’s not right. I feel challenged. Yes, that’s what I felt. Can I really make a realm of my own? As interesting as the ones behind those rows of doors and gates?

Mind you, I have experienced making a realm of my own. Both from my own or just borrowing a few stuff from other entities’ realm, to make sub-world inside them. I guess that’s why I felt challenged. Should I do it again? And the answer? Why, of course, yes.

And thus I flowed around the said gate, trying to see the connection. It was quite difficult to find it since the connection was not a strong one. I could only detect a small bit of energy from it. After tracing the connection, I floated toward the direction. And what do you know? Another gate. But it is a very different gate. It was….much bigger? Yes, that’s it. I have to admit, I am bit scared to enter it. And just like before, I peeked before entering it. It was…bland? Yes, that’s the word. I didn’t see the same spark the many doors before has shown me. And my curiosity did not get the better of me that time. I left right away. Yes, I left. It didn’t interest me enough to make me want to check it out.

And thus my days continue. Floating from one door to another. Enjoying the many interesting worlds I can see. But one thing bugged me. Those same signs keep appearing on some door. Yes, not all. Only a few of them. For the first few, I ignored them. Then only after a dozen of them kept appearing, my interest of that strange door came to haunt me back.

With a frustrated mind, I floated back to that one door. It was still the same. Boring and bland. But I guess one must venture further before they can reach the good part, right? And with that mindset inside my core of entity, I finally open the door and quickly rolled inside to see the strange realm inside.

I quickly realized my mistake! I was amazed! Fascinated! Captivated by what I saw there!

....is not what happened. Sadly, it is still bland for me. But I persevere. I tried to float from one place to another. Strange sign and messages are scattered all over, which mostly I ignored. They just don’t interest me much. All I want to do is one thing. To have a place where I can create my own world inside that one strange realm.

And found that place I did. It was…interesting? Does that sound like I am disappointed? Because I am certainly not. Amused, I suppose. Although not as bright and interesting as the many doors on that hub realm, the myriad of world there is just as unique. And since they all stand side by side like rows of world separated by a thin barrier, I can easily go from one world to another in a fairly quick time.

After that, I decided on one thing. I will join this world and create one my world, adding just another spice to the already colorful worlds in here. And make a world I did. I decorate the world. Give it history. Give it color. Give it all I can give. I did my best, if I may say so myself. I am content with what I have made.

I continue to add more things here and there. I seek inspiration from the many worlds connected by the hub realm. I also look for more in the neighboring world. It was fun. Very fun!

….But the fun doesn’t last long. I was bored. Very, very bored. I made another world next to it, hoping to satisfy my bored mind. It lasted quite some time. Alas, the end is the same. I am still bored. Thus I leave that strange realm, leaving my worlds there for anyone to visit, not caring what happened to them.

What did I do after that? I jumped from one world to another thru the doors presented in the hub realm. They sated my appetite most of the time. But I do feel bored from time to time. And when that happened, I just floated away from that realm. Floated aimlessly on the large current of the world, letting fate decided my destination. But in the end, I will come back to the hub realm, albeit not as often as before.

Oh, that’s not the end of my experience. One day I found another sign. This time, not on the door, but on the hub realm itself. It was floating too close to my core, thus annoyed me much. But instead of busting that sign away, I decided to examine it. I understand the message…and don’t understand the message at the same time. It has the same connecting thread to the strange realm, which I don’t expect much. Once again, I ignored it. The strange realm is…just too boring for this average entity. I kept ignoring it, but the sign kept floating near me. Until one day, the sign disappeared. And you know what? That intrigued me.

Why did the sign disappear? I guess the absence of that strange and annoying sign intrigued me. And what did I do? I enter the strange realm again. After checking that my world that is having an okay-ish time, I decided to track the strange sign. Sure enough, it didn’t take me much time to find it. It is connected to a small world. I looked at it from afar and quickly judge it as…very small and uninteresting. Strangely though, I decided to enter said world.

I quickly realized my mistake! I was amazed! Fascinated! Captivated by what I saw there!

…That happened! Honestly, I was very surprised. Let me give a quick description of that world. It is a world under no one’s absolute control but will be built by everyone. Endless possibility, but in a different kind of possibilities that I know. Intrigued, I then quickly take a different form since the floating sign said that we have to assume an avatar or some sort to do it. First time hearing that kind of thing, I quickly mold an avatar for myself. Mind you, I am not an entity that is good to this kind of thing. I always remain a faceless and formless entity throughout my days. But that doesn’t mean that I have never seen what kind of avatar one might take form in. And thus I finally make one.

My avatar is an avatar of strange science. Pseudo-science, if you must categorize them. It is both a user of real science while at the same time use strange close-to-impossible theory. I’m strange, you say? Why, yes. Many have given me that comment and I don’t see the need to change. They sign said that I also have to equip my avatar with some tools they can use. Maybe to build? I was not sure at that time. As why I gave the avatar strange equipment just for fun. Of course, they are still under the same theme.

And thus I enter the form and enter the world. It was quite…bland at that time. But bland as it may, I am free to do whatever I want. I can create my own part of that world. And create my own part I go. I left my signature on that part of the world. It was….exciting.

I met many entities that assume a very varied form of avatar. A spearman wielding a crazy spear. A masked warrior. A mage wielding a strange pair of saws. A pirate with a habit of drinking ever so often. A martial artist with a tendency of destroying his surroundings. A user of strange magic circle who can call forth deadly force. A weak looking tamer with a pair of weak looking pet. A travel size calamity. And so on and so on. I could go on forever listing the many unique avatars I saw.

When I think I had formed my avatar into a unique one, apparently many have outdone me. Did I get disappointed? Certainly not! I feel more and more fascinated. Can one even guess what will the world we build will be with that many unique individuals? No one can. And after a while, not even the pioneer entity that built that world can. Why do I know that? I eavesdrop on them. Guilty of charge.

In that world, we go through dangerous trials. We save people. We slay monstrosities. We became heroes. We became legend. It was…satisfying. I got to meet said pioneer entity after a while. Asking whether I can speed up the evolution of said world. I was so intrigued, that I offer my time. Fortunately, my intention was received well. I was happy, very happy.

As time move, the world has evolved. And…also… deteriorate. Kind of hard to imagine? Yes, I agree with my whole core of entity. How can the world that constantly evolves also deteriorate? It’s hard to imagine, but it happens, unfortunately so. Slowly, the avatars disappeared. My once close comrades, also disappeared. But seeing that there is still hope, I keep doing what I can. Even after the pioneer entity stopped communicating with any of us, I tried to keep the balance with my remaining fellow avatars. I have to say, that was the first time I tried to maintain a world so desperately.

I kept doing my best as I was helped by the remnant avatars. It was not a fruitless effort. But I have to say one thing. That world is only a step away from disappearing into the void. One way or another, we managed to keep it afloat. In the end, I, no, we kept it alive. We have gone through many struggling times, but finally, that world stabilize. Of course, it was still barely hanging. One wrong move and it will enter the void. The world that we have created will vanish. Disappear forever. Forgotten.

And to my surprise, many new avatars appeared. A chef with great strength. A chivalric knight that refused his title. A fox warrior. An androgynous paladin. An aloof sword-wielding girl. A young female mage. And much more. Of course, they can’t replace my long-lost comrade. But they have become my comrade nonetheless. We all then continue building the world.

To my surprise again, we have made bonds from our struggle. I have seen many formed close bond amongst each other. Some are still budding. Some already in a stable condition in a short time. And, once again, to my surprise, I have become one of them that received such close bond.

Never in my long life as an entity have I felt that kind of bond. And I am once again intrigued and fascinated by them. If not because of them and the bond they have form with me, I will never have the courage to ask the true grand master of the strange realm to give me the ownership of that world. Of course, the pioneer entity already gave me permission beforehand. It was not a case of mutiny. It was more like of a passing the baton. The passing of a baton for that oh so adventurous world.

And what do you know? My newly bond comrades, they invited me to another world managed by one of my comrade’s famiglia. Ah, a famiglia is a group of an entity that has made a close knitted relationship. At that time, I was invited into one of the famiglia and become a prestigious member of them. I’m very honored to be included in one of them.

Sorry, I digressed. As I was saying, I was invited into another world. I removed my avatar for once and then assume another avatar. But this time, it was not I that made that avatar. It was another entity. I remember that I have to assume the avatar of a rebel. I was asked to be cunning and treacherous. Sadly, I’m ashamed to report that I have failed to do that. And thus in that world where the treacherous win, I lost. Miserably. But it was such a fascinating experience. A very fascinating experience indeed. It was a very valuable lesson for me. In that world, I can see another face of my comrade. They are certainly a playful and interesting bunch.

Onto another world, my comrade urged me to. There once again I was put into an avatar of a rebel. Strangely, we, the rebel, are the good guy in this corrupt and oppressed world. No. We are not rebel. We are the liberator! But sadly we are not of one voice. Some of my fellow entity has assumed the avatar of a double-crosser. We deceive and convince each other. We tried our best to gain trust while at the same time we point at other’s fault and place suspicions on them. I assumed the avatar of the righteous liberator, but yet I was being suspected the most. I wonder why? Was my past conduct really that bad that gave me that much distrust? Nevertheless, it was still a very interesting experience for an average entity like me. Once again, I learn new things from my comrades.

So is that all? No, there is at least another world. This time, I was also asked to go into an avatar of their choice. And, what do you know? I was given an avatar of a mafioso’s head. Color me surprise, I must say. And another surprise is that my subordinate is the paladin’s close partner. And the one we have to deal with is the paladin himself. Of course, the two are using a different avatar. We would have won the whole war if not for the paladin’s needless meddling! I am only a step away from making the two bonded entities deal with each other in the most gruesome way. It was very frustrating, I have to admit. But I also learn something. And that is to stay on your toe even if victory is only inches away. It was a very interesting world. Of course, the world reset after that. We did a few reincarnations for our avatars and restarted the war over and over again. All of them are fun and fascinating.

Is that all? No, there are plenty of worlds my comrades showed me. Yeah, I am but one simple minded entity. If not for their constant nudging, I would only seclude myself on that adventurous world, managing the whole world without stop. But they tried their best, a few of them in particular. They who have invited me as a member of their famiglia are also they who gave me the chance to explore the strange realm. Once again, I was too content with what I have. But somehow, they never stopped urging me to explore as if telling me I will miss out a lot of the possible excitement that way. How true their words are. Only now I can actually agree to it.

Once again, they have proven themselves to be the wiser one. So what other world they led me to? World where one gamble for a chance to get knowledge or challenge. World where one explores the melody of the world. World where one delves into the mystery of laughter. I have no idea that such worlds existed in that strange realm. Of course, from first peek, almost all of them looked dim and boring. But one must put some more effort to dig precious gem from the soil. I’m not disappointed. Far from disappointed.

Along the way, many changes occurred. Another batch of avatar in that world vanished, replaced by another batch. With each batch landed, the more varied they become. The more fascinated I am too.

Bond changed for many of my comrades too. Some are sad. Some are funny. Other, just mere unforgettable- like the one where the androgynous paladin tried to make a contract with the aloof swords wielding girl, only to end up as a failure, yet their bond strengthened much more than before. My bond with the famiglia member also changed. At that time, I realized I have not contributed enough yet they have given me much more than I deserve, thus my decision to leave that famiglia. But we still share tight bonds even after that.

You have to wonder how strange that bonds have made us stick together. I, an entity that always opts for solitude for so long, was getting accustomed to such tight bond that I keep maintaining such relation with the other entity as best as I could. When I asked, some gave me answer that it was the realm’s effect. Even until now I can’t really refute that theory nor can I prove that. All I can prove is that our bond changed, yet we still stayed together.

Then I floated to another world in that strange realm, trying my best to fill my time. To my surprise, I fell into a world created by a strange entity that took the avatar of a bird. I followed said entity to the world that was created with….such strange objective in mind? No, even to this moment I could not understand what’s going on inside that entity’s mind.

Ah, I digressed. What were we talking about? Ah, yes, the world. It is a tranquil world. Filled with harmony and peaceful landmarks. There I was given the opportunity to use yet another avatar. This time, something that my comrade has given to me. A large furry animal with loves for a certain particular drink. I lazed around at that place. Rolled around, I must admit. It was fun and relaxing.

And there found a strange figure. A girl, trying to light a bonfire. That started out short journey. She even asked me to meet her in another world to enjoy said particular drink then to also to chat. Apparently, the entity behind it also has the same interest as my avatar. To my surprise, I managed to invite that entity to come into the world I manage. She came and chose the avatar of an elegant martial artist with fan as her main equipment. Why did I mention that one entity in particular? Because that entity ended up governing the world together with me and my comrades and also one of the very first one that I managed to invite to said world. In the past, I am the one that was invited. Now, I am the one that invites them. How I have changed. How they have changed me.

Sure enough, that was not the only time I did that. More and more entity came to the world and assume even more varied avatar. Of course, there are more than I can remember. Some vanished right after they landed. Some stay for some time. Some form bond with the other -a few of them even form a very close bond with that martial artist avatar. Oh, one also became our fellow world manager. It was an entity that has chosen an avatar of a knight that is…rather forgettable? My vague memory of said entity is proof of how easily forgettable that one is.

Then what else do I do? Well, besides the usual managing of that adventurous world, I still go from one world to another. The hub realm is still as interesting as ever. In fact, more and more doors opened up there. Different doors. Different gates. To different worlds. To different realms. I still love them as I float from one world to another, experiencing more and more excitement as I visit them. It continues to grow and grow. Very wonderful indeed. Oh, the strange realm too. It gets…stranger? Ina good way. Honest.

What about my comrades, you ask? We’re still together. Every one of us. Or what remains of us anyway. We still explore the strange realm ever so often, every now and then. Do we also explore the worlds connected thru the hub realm? We sure do. While I do enjoy exploring the worlds all by myself, a few companies along the way would not hurt an entity like me.

My name is Shadow, and that was my experience.

…And it’s not the end. Indeed. My…No. Our journey has just begun. And I’m sure it will be far from boring.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    P.S. : Thank you for being here, NUF/NU. I have met so many wonderful people that have changed my life. Hahaha~ And I don't use any name in there, but I guess many will know who I meant. Does that go against the rule? If yes, please tell me and I will delete my post completely. Once again, thank you for the one holding this competition~! Long live NUF/NU~!

A5G_Reaper, akki, AliceShiki and 5 others like this.
  16. TheJackWrite

TheJackWrite Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Title: One Day Memory
    Genre: Sci-fi, Drama, Slice of life
    Word Count: 1432

Been so long since I last write something. I felt so sad but I didn't know the reason , so, I apologized in advance if I make someone feel depressed when reading this.

【One Day Memory.】

There was nothing more worst than being alone at home during summer breaks.

「aghh… so hot...」

I was sweating all over my body even when I was fanning myself like a machine. The computer lags made things felt even worse. I couldn’t open the youtube or read manga online because the internet was slow for some reason that I didn’t know of. The only thing available to spend my time with was reading the web novels on the Novel Updates and read the threads in the forum.

As I read my usual series of novels, I applauded and was grateful to the hard working translator team but…

「It has been four months since there was any update!」

If only I had learned Mandarin or Japanese during school…

「ARGH!!」

This was boring as hell! I grunted and moaned as I complained. My name is Classic and I am a single lady at the age of twenty-two. I graduated from high school and wasn’t accepted by any college as my grades and co-curriculum points were low. For two years, I had to work with my parents at the farm until I lived alone in the cheap apartment ever since I worked as an animator apprentice. At that time, I didn’t keep in touch with any of my friends, thus, when they changed their number, it was too late to call them.

Now, I’m bored as if the world was empty.

『Bzzt--』

「Huh?」

I was lying on the floor and heard a buzzing sound came from the computer. No, no no… Not my computer, don’t you dare to break again.

I sat and checked the monitor and the sound system but I couldn’t find anything went wrong with it. I clicked on the tabs in the windows to check if anything missed. Then, when I clicked on the Novel Updates tab, the buzzing sounded again.

「... What just happen--」

Before I even able to finish speaking, I lost my consciousness.

『Welcome to NU, where every world gathered.』

I heard a ridiculous speech coming from a feminine voice. I struggled to open my eyes but the light was too bright that it's blinding my sight. Instinctively, I asked.

「Who are you? Where is this?」

『My deepest apologies but my master haven't given me a name. I am the mod of for the Novel Updates and you are in it.』

As I opened my eyes, I saw a girl with a long gray-blue hair wearing a white dress. Her skin was white as a blank paper while her eyes were deep sea blue and have long flicked lashes. There were a lot of words around and I saw a huge title of Novel Updates at the highest peak of the scenery. I tilted my head and thought carefully before I asked.

「Why am I here?」

『Apart from my master and I, there were no other people who came. You and I were the same. Even though I am an AI, I developed the emotions in me and could feel bored and lonely. Therefore, I invite you in.』

「That’s not inviting?! That’s kidnapping!」

I roared at her instinctively. Even though I couldn’t fathom what’s real or what’s not, I understood the feeling she had. I was bored and if I had the power, I wanted to make some troubles to vent my boredness. I sighed at the thought and sat down.

《Japtem Translation Team has updated the Common Sense of a Duke Daughter Chapter 15.》

『Classic, would you like to join me explore worlds in the novel updates?』

At the same time I heard the announcement, the AI told me something ridiculous. I was curious hence I agreed.

【Warning, During transporting, you might feel sick. Feel free to vomit.】

『Hold my hand. We will enter the Duke Daughter’s world.』

She held out her hand and smiled cheerfully like a kid. Once I held her hand, I couldn't ever let it go again since everything that happened was beyond words.

At first, we entered the Duke Daughter and because I hate the second prince, I messed up with his closets and threw his secret saving into the crown prince’s room. The AI told me that I shouldn't do that but she laughed together as we played. She told me that even if I did something in the world, the story would never be changed. We were invisible thanks to the AI ability but we still could bump against someone and touch things. Thus, we decided to play naughty.

Once I saw the face that the princes made, I was satisfied and the AI offered to go into another world.

After that world, we entered battle through the heavens and the AI lent me an ability suitable for me. She gave me the power of illusion and I messed around with the main character of the world and overpowered the villains. I went too far and the MC’s comrade was killed and he was enraged. We ran away and entered the other worlds.

While we were playing, I heard a surprising announcement.

《AI would be shut down. Maintenance in one minute.》

「Does that mean goodbye?」

I glanced at her and saw she lowered her eyes. She smiled wryly as she closed her eyes.

「Hey?」

I turned my body to face her since she didn't answer my question. I had a bad feeling about this but as she opened and closed her mouth, I guessed she has something needed to be said.

「AI?」

『I...』

Her gentle voice was wavering as she looked me into the eyes. Her eyes were wet and she knitted her brows as she spoke.

『This will be my last moment. I am, very thankful to you and my master for giving me life and purpose of life. I… When I knew that my master going to end my life, I was sad…』

W-what? When I heard she explained that I knew what’s coming next are not going to be good. I couldn’t respond well to her but I almost stopped her from talking because I was afraid of what’s she going to say.

『 Yet, because of that, I decided to meet you. You gave me an experience that I would never forget even after my little life ended. C;ass;ic…』
    Her body glitched and she couldn’t say my name properly.

『 Once the maintenance happens, I’ll lose my memory and started a new… My mee--mory meant my soul, if that were gone, I’m no longer myself.』

As she glitched, I shouted,「What? No… No!」then rushed to hug her as I shook my head denying what happening in front of me. I only met her for a day but I have treated her like a friend and a sister I never had before.

『Classic.』

She said my name and pushed me away. As she smiled, I knew her time was near. I lowered my head and softly talked.

「Your name… I...」
    Her eyes widened and she waited for me to finish.

「Memory. As your friend, I wanted to give you that name. You are the memory, I would never forget even during my last breath.」

As I was speaking, she smiled and tears flowed down to her cheek. I couldn’t bear to look at her but for the last time ever… within the last two second, I stared at her before closing my eyes and woke up to the bitter reality.

I saw her mouth motioning, ‘thank you’ but that was the last word I ever received from her ever since then until I aged and waited for my death.

People would never believe me when I told them and kids treated me like a crazy old lady. I was single until the end and never once I felt the joy of living but I often smiled when I remembered our experiences. Even if it was just a day and never would there be a day like it ever again… I loved it, the memory we had. I sat on the couch as I breathed in the air. I didn’t remember the weather today or the time as I closed my eyes, I was no longer breathing.

『Welcome to NU, where every world gathered.』

「Memory」
    I smiled as I saw her.

Our appearances were the same as that day. She grinned and held my hands.

『Classic, would you like to join me exploring the worlds?』

「Sure and let’s go.」

There was nothing more that I could wish for when everything was fun when I’m with her.
    The End.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2017
    akki, AliceShiki and Action like this.
  17. SnowTime

SnowTime Busy Busy Busy, I Dug Too Many Holes

Reading List:
    Link
    I did this on mobile as well, so please excuse me. I tried, but I suck >.<
    Title: Blue Bell Flowers
    Genre: Spiritual, Romance
    Words: idk... I hope I made it within the range
    They had met when they were young, both of them chubby with baby fat and smiling so innocently. They held nothing special about them; their families were normals, their accomplishments were too. They were happy with it though and did not wish for anything more.

They quietly grew up together and quietly married each other, tending to each other quietly. But peace did not last forever, and their tranquil lives were ripped apart.

He was a healthy man, so he was forced to war. She was left behind, praying daily for his safety like many others... but alas, day by day bad news came and she feared everyday it would be her turn soon.

However, in the blink of an eye it was over, and he was back by her side, smiling the same way he always had.

"Ah, I'm so glad you're alright." She cried and clutched to him that day. Her relief forming into tears of joy that seemed to never end.
    "I hope you didn't wait too long." And he hugged her gently, soothing her like he often did as a child, and sometimes she did to him as well.

Life slowly but surely, went back to normal. Though her husband picked up a new hobby: planting Blue Bell Flowers. Every year, he would plant a new plant and pluck off the best one for her.

He would say it was his gratitude to her. His everlasting love. But as the years passed even more, she finally understood. The vision in front of her was getting more hazy but the Blue Bells were as bright as ever.

"Dead Man's Bells. The other name for blue bells." She never had a child, and her memories were getting fainter as the odds added up.

"I kept you waiting didn't I?" The hazy image by her side seem to smile and appear just as young as the day he left for war as she breath her last and slept.

"I promised to accompany you for a lifetime. And I shall. Let us go and rest now."

kuu0haku, AliceShiki, ABMAINA and 3 others like this.
  18. ducpika

ducpika Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Genre: Comedy, Isekai
    Title: Just another guy in another world kind of novel.
    If you are suddenly summoned to another world, an alternate reality with magic that bends the laws of physics and beings with great power, what kind of choice would you make?

It’s either A, you want to find a way home. Home has such deep rooted place in each and every single person whether they are human, beast or demon. Home is such ordinary thing, mundane and boring, yet one could only appreciate such mundane when they are away from it. Home is more than just a house, it was a warmth place, a place to cherish, a place to love.

It could be B, you want to stay there, in such fantastic world where magic exists. You can tear the laws of physic down to the knee. You can run away from such a shitty place that was your mundane everyday life. You can experience and discover many enjoyable things in a new world.

Me? I have yet to make my choice. I’m deferring it just for a little bit longer. Soon, I keep telling myself, soon. So, what kind of choice should I make? I ask. You tell me. This is my story.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

I am in another world, totally in another world. How do I know it? Let’s backtrack an hour.

For some reason, a truck driver lost the control of his truck and slammed it right into the pedestrian area where I was. I was jogging, yes, simply jogging to keep my body in shape. Junk foods did me bad, Fast food tastes great and they are convenient. However, my friends, I tell you, they are the fruits of devil. The tastier and cheaper and more convenient they are, the more expensive the price you have to pay, not monetary. Anyway, due to the stress from work and my laziness, I could not bring myself to cook at home, not when my girlfriend was away for her business trip. And when she came back, she told me that she would dump me, like immediately if I am not cutting at least 10 kg in two weeks.

I groveled on the ground begging her to reconsider but she would not give in. I took a good look at reflection through her makeup mirror and yeah, I told myself, I should cut down at least 10kg as soon as possible. There is not a chance in hell I want to hug that moving and wobbling blob of fat.
    Therefore, I exercised every day. I applied sick leave and took a break from work, knowing that I have yet missed a single day from work the last three years and solely focus on getting myself slimmer. My girlfriend prohibited me from any kind of junk food since, she did calorie counting and watched over my diet. She was the only motivation for me to get back in shape… But my dear girlfriend, aren’t you too harsh on me? 10kg in two weeks? Is that even possible?

While I don’t think that she would actually do that, but she’s my girlfriend, I know her better than most. She will definitely do that. But our breakup would probably last for another week or two, three at best, and I would fall right back at the hell of fast food due to stress of being away from her.

Hang on, this is not a story about a man, weight loss, fast-food and his girlfriend, we are way off the track here. What is this story about? Right, a truck slammed toward my direction. It was that instant, I could feel time decelerate and many things flashed through my eyes. I wasn’t sure if it was the lantern effect that people see flashback as they approached death.

However, of all the thing that could possibly appear inside my head, it was about the guilty pleasure kind of fiction that I secretly enjoy. You know, the kind that people would be sent to another world and that truck are the messenger of the Gods of the otherworld. In those fictions, every time the protagonist got hit by a truck, he or she will be sent to another world, sometimes as a baby, sometimes as a hero with great destiny await. I thought, that wasn’t bad. If this truck is what I think it is, I can say goodbye to this shitty world, Hasta La Vista, baby. No more overtime and low pay, no more shitty working environment where your customer demanded the shit out of your products and refused to pay the full amount they agreed in the contract, goodbye my shitty media career, viva new life where I can become the chosen one.

However, in that instant, my beautiful, so very beautiful girlfriend appears. She appeared right at the very end of my flashback. And I thought, nope, big nope, CAPITAL BIG NOPE. The only thing I could tell truck-san, the messenger and summoner of the gods of another alternate reality, “Not today,” I said as I ran, away from truck san. And I did, truck san failed to send me to another world that day.

Hang on, I know what you must be thinking right now. How did I get myself into another world if it wasn't truck san?

After rescuing the truck driver out of his overturned truck with the help of nearby passengers and people, I escaped from the scene. Why? First, I didn’t want to be held back by the police. I knew that I didn’t do anything wrong or commit any crime. However, I spent my childhood running from one place to another with my shitty dad who was a small-time drug dealer. It has become a reflex for me ever since. I was wired like that. Police equals nope, BIG CAPITAL NOPE. Anyway, my small-time drug dealing father and police is not related to how I was sent to another world, we can forget about them. Dad was in jail and I ran from police.

Still, how did I get into another world? I feel like I should move forward. Let’s move the clock forward to five minute before I found myself in another world.

I believed that I was special, an extraordinary man with extraordinary destiny. How did I come to that conclusion despite being a normal man who tried his best to not be dumped by his beautiful lover? Well, because, aside from truck san, other messengers of the otherworld gods did came for me. They were knife kun, explosion san, and even the great shining magic circle sama. It could not be a coincident when that many of the messengers and summoners appeared and tried to recruit you to the list of Isekai heroes.

The thing was… knife kun sucked. In modern day Vietnam, what is the chance that I would run into a drug addict, high on crack and walking on the pedestrian with a butcher knife in his hand? Our eyes met in an instance and immediately I knew I had to run. I ran and that high-on-crack drug addict chased after me with his knife.

This was when I would tell you a secret. There were three things in my life that I take great pride in. First, it was my beautiful lover. Two, it was my work ethic. Three, it was my quick legs that I used to run away from police ever since I was small. I could put up another 10 kg of fat inside my waist and still outrun that high-on-crack drug addict.

Explosion san didn’t do well either. This is Vietnam, modern day Vietnam. This is not America where freedom meant gunfire, explosions and Michael Bay. As I returned home, decided that I had enough of meeting those messengers and summoners. I ran across a blacksmith who was doing his normal and everyday work with a special item at his workshop. This should be where I tell you that Vietnamese people are the bravest of all people in the world. You may disagree and tell me that it’s favoritism and my sense of patriotism at work here, but you should listen to what I say. In my humble opinion, I believe that the bravest of people in the world are Vietnamese, Indian, Japanese and the Papua New Guinean tribe. With the exception of Vietnamese people, I could not put the other three into a ranking system.

First, Indian, when people talk about Indian, I thought of Mahatma Gandhi, I believe that this man Mahatma Gandhi, his followers, and his supporters are the kind of people with the biggest balls in the world. Why? It takes great balls to not using violence and bloodshed to combat violence and bloodshed. My drug dealing father repeatedly told me so. If someone who is bigger and taller and stronger than you came and bully you, perhaps they even came with their lackeys, there is one thing that you must do in that situation to prove your courage, that is to not use violence against the bullies; my father said and I quoted. He told me that even if I won and beat the crap out of ten kids of twice my size, I would not be hailed in the Bible like Davis who somehow beat a giant with a stone even if I defeated ten giants with my fists. My father told me that the only true courage is the kind of courage to not use force and violence against people around you and that true courage lay in running. He told me that by running, I don’t have to hurt people and at the same time they could not hurt me. His words became my compass ever since and I believed that my father must be the bravest man in the world since he always ran from polices, local gangsters, drug lords and thugs. He could became a legend by hurting them with his small, skinny body and his quick wit but he chose otherwise. He ran to protect those people from pain, to protect himself and me.

When people talk about the Japanese, I thought about the Samurai and their code of Bushido. When I was small, around 12, dad brought home an old TV. He was junk diving and somehow found one that could work among the throwaway items of rich people. I was excited, very excited when he brought that thing home. There was one channel that I would love to watch, it was Discovery channel, don’t even ask how my dad caught that channel without subscribing to a TV’s package, I’m quite sure that it’s illegal. Back then, it was good, a channel for real documentary programs not the kind that ran fake shark documentaries and fake Ghostbuster documentary now. I remembered watching a series explaining about Japanese culture and the samurai. They stuck in my mind for a long time. As a kid I wanted nothing more than to become a samurai and dedicated my entire life to understand the way of the sword and to uphold the Code of Bushido.

An acquaintance of my father who often visit us to give my father drugs to sell would always laugh about that, about my dream to become a samurai, he laughed and he bought me a katana, a real katana during one of his visit.

I thought that was the coolest thing ever. That katana, it has the sharpest blade I had ever seen in my life. He told me that if I want to become a samurai, I must first understand the way of the katana, that I must become great at using katana. Also, the way of the samurai lay in serving. To be a samurai, one must learn how to serve. The man told me to train hard with that katana, and served the region drug lord when I grew up. I happily made a pinky promise with him and started to practice swinging my katana every single day, even in my sleep. That’s where I got my work ethic. I trained very hard every day, the same way the samurai do. However, not long after that, dad told me that I don’t understand anything about the Samurai, their honor, their way of living and even their code of Bushido. This coming from my father who has not watched a single episode of that great Japanese culture series, of course, I told him that he was the one who understood nothing. Thus, we had our argument, we fought verbally. Dad said that the true courage lay in running away and not in a sword. As for I, I argued that it might be true that the true courage lay in running away and that it was true for ourselves thus far.

However, Discovery praised the samurai for the bravery and their skills with the sword, therefore, it must be true as well. I argued with my dad for a great length until we both reach a compromise. Dad told me that if I really love being a samurai and really admire their code of Bushido, he will support me. I was happy but he told me that he had one condition, and that I must learn to serve a lord properly. He told me instead of serving the region drug lord like I intended I should first learn how to serve dad first. Think of it as your training, he said and I quoted. It was that moment dad became my Daimyo and I became his faithful samurai. As for my katana, it was confiscated until I completed my basic samurai training which was … the way of serving my master.

However, nothing changed in our mundane everyday life. Dad still sold drugs and I still went to “school” per usual. Now, you may think why I used “school” instead of school? Why the double bracket? Well, as if dad could afford to pay for my education and even he could, we ran from place to place, we didn’t stay at a fix location for too long. I was his only home and he was the only home I knew. While I can’t experience to the so call compulsory education system, I got to enjoy the free education system in Vietnam. But, with a quick googling, you will discover that there is absolutely no free education in Vietnam. The kind of school I went to were pagodas, convents and orphan houses where I could learn how to write and read, how to do math, how basic science worked, how Buddha inspired people to do good, how Jesus died so everyone could live free of sins. I was raises in the houses of Jesus and Buddha.

While I was learning to become Dad’s samurai, he learned how to become my Daimyo. He watched that exploring Japanese culture series when it aired and re-aired. After believing that he has fully understood how to behave like a Daimyo, he finally gave me my first task as a samurai in training.

There was a local competition for children. Children of 15 or younger could attend this competition and write a piece of essay or poem of any topic. The winners of the competition will receive a mountain bike for the first place, a Lego toy package for the second place and a discount voucher of 1,000,000 VND for school related items as the third place.

Dad told me to participate in that competition, that was the easy part. However, he told me that I must get the third place, not the first or second and nothing below third place, now this, my friends, this was the difficult part.

I asked dad, why , why can’t I go for the first and second place? Why third? A mountain bike would be the third coolest thing I have ever had, after my katana and Discovery, of course. A Lego toy package would be equally cool as well, TV said that kid would become smarter if they play Lego. However, dad told me that mountain bike was the stuff for cowards, real man run with his legs and Lego, they are toys for children, not a worthy item for a samurai in training such as myself. And instead of spending my time playing toys, I should learn how to become a proper samurai. That discount voucher of 1,000,000 VND for school related items would benefit my samurai training more than any other items, dad said and I quoted.

I became silent and admired my dad for such a wise and great Daimyo he was. However, after thinking for a while, I asked

“Dad if I really got the first place in that competition and you would sell that mountain bike and used it as a fund for my samurai training, shouldn’t it be much better? That mountain bike worth as much as a shitload of 7,000,000VND, seven times of that third place voucher. If we do the math, we should go for the first place.”

Dad went deep into his thought and once he’s done, he rubbed my head, telling me that I was the greatest samurai in training in the world. Thus, he made his final verdict.

“Go for the first place my young Padawan,”

“Yes, all as you will, my lord,” I replied, getting theatrical, not without asking him, “What is a Padawan dad?”

“It is another word for samurai-in-training,” he explained.

Since that day, I worked toward getting that first place in that local competition. It’s hard to write a good essay. In the convents, the nuns gave me similar exercises and I really struggled because I have no idea what to write for an essay. She would suggest some topics for me to write such as describing your dog, describing your mom or describing your dream. I had neither a dog nor a mom so I could not do either of them. As for my dream, I don’t really have one. I suffered the same problem when the monks at the pagoda gave me the same exercise. I didn’t know what to write so I wrote whatever I could, basically bullshitting. The monks would read, smiled and told me that those essays weren’t good. They told me that I must be truthful and honest with myself to able to do this exercise right.

I thought deeply of the wise words of my teachers and what kind of topic I should write for the competition. After thinking for many days, I knew my path.

Back then, I had no dream, but this moment, I had a dream. I begun to write as soon as that idea sparked within my little head. I poured my everything into writing that essay.

I had a dream. That dream was to be the greatest samurai in the Vietnam, to serve my dad and made him to be the greatest drug dealers in the entire nation. No, dad always told me to be ambitious. The greatest drug dealer was no good. If that was the case, we would still move from one place to another, dad would still ran away from dealing with small time thugs and drug dealers. He would still out there around the hottest hours of the day trying to sell his stuffs or worked until very late in the alleys. He would get himself beat up once in a while. Thus, being the greatest drug dealer would not be good enough. If I will be the greatest samurai in Vietnam, I must make my dad the greatest drug lord in the entire nation. If he became a drug lord, he would be able to spend more time with me. If he became a drug lord, dad would not return home so late at night and he would not have to run anymore, his lackeys would do the running since they’re the one on the street to do the selling job. We would probably run once in a while, knowing that "the only true courage lay in running" which was dad's motto.

I transformed my dream into words and I wrote the essay with tears of inspiration in my eyes. I kept that essay a secret, dreaming that I would let dad read it after I triumphed the competition. I wrote that essay believing that surely it would get the first place.

You know what? It didn’t. The day the judges announced the winners for that competition, I waited and waited but they didn’t announce my name. I did not get any prize, not first, not second, not third, and not even consolation prize.

I returned home, a defeated and failed Padawan, I reported to my dad.

He didn’t look dejected or disappointed. He accepted the news calmly like a noble lord would and finally made his verdict.

“You have failed me, your master. You have dishonored yourself and your way of samurai. However, there is still a way for you to redeem yourself,”

“What is it, dad?” I asked

“Harakiri,” he replied and I ran away from home for two days, proving to him that his words were the words of wisdom and that true courage lay in running. Since then, I denounced myself from any further samurai training. I came to a conclusion that samurai, and the code of Bushido wasn’t my kind of things. It’s too hard. I don’t have the courage like the Japanese samurai to commit seppuku.

Now, where was I? Oh right, I’m still trying to make my point about the bravest people in the world. Well, the Papua New Guinean tribe, I believe that if I was a child of that tribe, I will remain a child forever until the day I died. No further argument on that, it looked extremely painful, making your body into that of a crocodile.

Now, about the Vietnamese being the bravest people in the world. What? You were expecting something to prove my point about the Papua New Guinean tribe people? You were expecting another backstory about me and my dad? No, no, big No. just look at them, at the ritual on how a child could become an adult within that tribe and you will come to the same conclusion as I would.

Now, about the Vietnamese being the bravest people in the world, this time for real. But before I could get into that, I must first tell you the story of how that blacksmith I saw on the way home reminded me again that the Vietnamese people are the bravest people in the world.

I saw the smith using his saw and working on a special item in his workplace… and that special item happened to be a bomb. Now, when I said bomb, I didn’t mean the kind of manmade bomb you see in film like Wanted or the TNT used for construction. When I said bomb, I meant the kind of freedom and liberty that America spread across Vietnam during the Vietnam War, unexploded freedom and liberty.

I watched the blacksmith using his hand saw to cut that bomb in his workshop. Un-fucking-believable!!! I used to think that it was the kind of stuff you would see in news of how a poor Vietnamese family would stumble across a piece of unexploded freedom and liberty in their home yard. They would initial think about report it to the authority but rethink about it. They would think about dismantling the bomb on their own and made profit out of the material of that bomb. It happened not once, not twice and certainly not thrice on news. And here he's, the kind of brave man who I only heard in the news.I can’t even bring myself to image what kind of gut it took for these people to do that, using a freaking handsaw to cut bombs and the kind of bombs that the America rained with the B52 bombers. Those bombs, they weren’t small. They were a huge chunk of freedom and liberty.

Anyway, I watched the blacksmith using his hand saw to cut that bomb in his workshop and I screamed at him to stop.

The smith turned at me, smiling, his face drenched in sweat.

“Don’t worry. It’s nothing dangerous,” he said.

“Đụ má,” I swore and tried really hard to stop the guy, “Stop doing that,” because obviously the guy was still cutting the bomb as he talked to me, “Do you want to die?”

“Don’t worry. This is the third bomb I dismantle in this year. My neighbor unearthed it this morning and I convinced him to sell it to me.”

I stared hard at the absurdity before me. And asked, “Was you a sapper in the Vietnam war?”

“Heck no,” the smith replied, still cutting the bomb as he talked.

I ran as fast as I could, repeating my life motto that true courage lay in running. I ran and I heard the Earth shook behind me. I would not turn back to look. I ran before the arrival of polices and authorities.

Okay where was I? Oh, right, shining magic circle sama. It was shining magic circle sama that did me in just when I finally relaxed at home and took a shower. Shining magic circle sama appeared right beneath me as I took a shower and before I even had a chance to do anything.

I’m in another world, butt naked. Me, who am I? NU-NUF

Last edited: Jul 11, 2017
    Action likes this.
  19. Zek

Zek I write sins, not tragedies.

Reading List:
    Link
    Title: Nuf Writer
    Genre:
    Word: 674

Stories are not merely literary works that occupies the fictional boundary. They are a collection of information that expostulates an idea, spanning from both visionary portrayals and literal experiences. And these are, in normal circumstance, divagates as separate branches; a convergence is rarely to be observed. But when such thing takes place, unveils a spectacular narrative full of myriads of wonders.

However—not every stories are depicted with a single passage of bliss. Those that deviates from these characteristics have their own way of showing their brilliance.

If and only if, these ones pursued an elated ending, only then would the world be liberated short of illusive hearts. But alas, they were made with reasons, be it to convey a constructive message to rid of much negativity, or even an arbitrary act to satisfy an individual's sensual gratification through observation of a reader's grievances.

In the light of this, a disastrous character of a tragedy is what could be referred to as the central foundation of the plot of that kind, a vital fundamental element so to speak. Nonetheless, a person's impression may differ accordingly and is put upon subjectively. Thus, the evaluation of this account shall rest upon your hand.

—But first, the setting needs to be laid.

The night have already shrouded the skies, and the moon was up above high. The silence that accompanied its dawn could very well rouse the living from the dead. Only the screen of a young man did served as a source of light, synced with the noise of the mechanical keyboard.

Displayed was a browser, two tabs open and a notepad running on the background. The page was labeled Novelupdates, a website that contains thousands of collections of translated works. The other which seemed to be a social networking site used to exchange messages.

What was currently being viewed is the latter. A row of texts was sent to him by the user named Tw1nkle on different intervals.

He scrolled down while stuttering, reaching the first line. "Recently I have noticed the sudden surge of popularity being amassed by your work! ^-^ This makes me reminiscent of the times where you would seek advise to do such feat, now look at you!"

Then, "I have been getting a lot of negative feedback from all my previous works. I think it started almost the same time your work skyrocketed. Looking at the contents of their comments, it seems a person called Zek instigated it. What do you think I should do? Haha, look how ironic it is!"

His grip slowly tightened on the mouse, almost as if crushing it. Continuing, "My very reason to write was to appease everyone, but lately I'm been getting second thoughts. Should I stop, or should I keep going? Judging on what you would say, it would be to persevere, right?"

"Hey, we haven't been in contact much lately. How has it been going for you?"

"I... I don't think I could keep going."

"Today I found someone defending me! It was very inspiring! I'll do my best! \o/"

There were numerous more he left unchecked. The guilt he had been holding had finally accumulated to the point of being too much to handle. He opted from not reading and skipped all the way to the bottom, hoping for the better.

Finally, "Remember when I said that... I write for everyone? T-this is getting embarrassing... But thinking of you, I don't think that's the case anymore. I think it's becoming 'I write because of y-y-you!' That's probably the reason why people complained it's leaning too much on your taste, hehe. Although the hate has still yet to wane, I think I'm much more happy!! >.<"

That was the last message sent from yesterday. Tears started pouring on the young man's face, regretting everything that he did.

Closing the page, he then went on his Novelupdates account. Then hastily logged off, bidding farewell to 'Zek' in his heart.

He planned to confess everything, and apologize when tomorrow comes. But then, a headline came.

I decided to rush before midway...

20. Novela

Novela Immortal Sheep

Reading List:
    Link
    Title: don't know but by me
    Genre: don't know
    Words: 518*

" With today's . A woman in her early 20's has died an unknown death...... "

" Peoples death rates have increased these days , Aye Sara "

" I don't know just hand me the stone tablet and let me read it . Also turn off the T.V . The news is wreaking my head . Ughh"

" Okay ....."

" Years go by . The time passes fast . How long am I going to stay the same ?
    Will it be a few seconds , minutes , hours , days , months , years or right now !?
    When will I change to be not bored , to be different , to have fun and to be free .
    As time passes by I grow frail , I grow weak . Nothing will be changed since the beginning .
    Since I've already grown into a cloud of ashes , buried deep in the depths of the earth .
    I warn to make the right choices if your read this . Great tragedy will befall your planet like mine someday .
    I bestow you the last remaining part of my power . Pass the test and protect your loved ones .
    I warn you the test is coming soon very soon ! Be ready .
    Thank you for freeing me of my duties , great savior !? "

" What bullshit is this ? Terri "

"I don't know what you've translated from the excavated stone tablet Sara , but please don't take it out on me !
    Also did you just see a faint glow coming from the tablet ? "

" Please stop fooling around with all your jokes or I'll slam this tablet on the floor and not write my report on the translation . "

" I'm serious ........... And oh no don't do that " giggle .

" Ugh " I really want to slam this tablet on Terri's face right now . " Is he bullshitting or is he serious "

" Lets just rest at the back of the wagon . "

" Fine.....BUT don't you dare wake me up ! "

" okay " Who'd even want to wake up someone like you .
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    " Huh , huh , HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUH . Where am I WTF is this place , Terri ?! No , more jokes you fucker "

Where am I . This place is so dark and muddy , with blood like stains everywhere in the tunnel . It's like one of those dungeons you see in a video game , I'd played with Terri.

kiiikiiikiii

" Who's there ? Come out "

kiiikiiikiii

" Oh , what a snuggle wuggle cuddly dog . Come here ! "

kiiikiiikiii

Wait that doesn't sound like a dog . I'm scared its a dead end me . Mommy . I hope I'm just delusional .

kiiikiiikiii

The sound keeps on getting closes . The dog like thing is getting closer but wait .

" Eeekkk "

The dog is dead and somethings teeth covered with blood is biting it from behind what is , it looks as big as the tunnel . I don't want to meet it !

" Where's Terri , help . Don't come any closer "

" AAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH "
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    " Hey , Sara calm down !? Sara ? Sara ? " Thump " DON'T tell me your dead . Stop being angry at me , I was just joking . Stop joking now Sara .Hey , hey Sara how did you learn to stop your pulse like that ? Hey how ? Stop this joke , please answer me , Sara , Sara "

" Wahhhhh " (crying)
    " Testing grounds 20 . 17 has failed its #100 of its contestants , out of applications , sending out more test applications ! "

kiiikiiikiii

kiiikiiikii

-End-

2 kiikiikiii's ??

Last edited: Jul 4, 2017
    Deleted member 37987 and Action like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.