Cleaning up tags on NU V2.0

Discussion in 'Novel Updates Site Discussion' started by marine1corps, Jun 23, 2017.

1. MangoGuy

MangoGuy Rambling Mango

Reading List:
    Link
    Should first look at the novels involved. I am leaning at 80% removal of tag.

2. BlancFrost

BlancFrost ❄Middle child: Carm & Dev + Sio's FSIL ❄

Reading List:
    Link
    Mmm first look at novel, but if it's relevant then the tag should be merged.

3. LaDyViL

LaDyViL New Member Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
  4. Serendipity

Serendipity No one, nothing

Reading List:
    Link
    Current tag definition:
    'It refers to a relaxed or non-chalant personality, proper of character who doesn't normally cares or stress about "little details". Use of this tag should be reserved only for when the protagonist reflects this attitude as part of his personality (Not being carefree in one or two selected occassions).'

Corrected definition:
    'It refers to a relaxed or nonchalant personality, proper of character who doesn't normally care or stress about 'little details'. Use of this tag should be reserved only for when the protagonist reflects this attitude as part of their personality (not being carefree in one or two selected occasions).'

Posting it here as I am unable to edit the definition myself.

Tag correction: 'Underestimated Protagonist'

Current tag definition:
    'Where the protagonist of the story is thought by other characters to be weaker than they acutally are. Whether the protagonist does it on purpose or not. And must remain that way for a significant part of the story.'

Corrected definition:
    'Where the protagonist of the story is thought by other characters to be weaker than they actually are, whether the protagonist does it on purpose or not. It must remain that way for a significant part of the story.'

Tag correction: 'Beastkin'

Current tag definition:
    'Beastkin are creatures that are half human half beast, an example would be things like Cat girl, bunny girls.'

Corrected definition:
    'Beastkin are creatures that are half-human, half-beast; an example would be things such as cat girls, or bunny girls. This tag is to be employed if they feature prominently within the story.'

Tag correction: 'Cold Protagonist'

Current tag definition:
    'This tag is used to define a protagonist whose attitude and personality is cold. They often have trouble and/or dislike communicating with others and are often described as 'expressionless', 'scary', or are likened an 'ice cube'.'

Corrected definition:
    'This tag is used to define a protagonist whose attitude and personality is cold. They often have trouble and/or dislike communicating with others and are often described as 'expressionless', 'scary', or are likened to an 'ice cube'.'

Last edited: Jul 7, 2017
  5. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    I understand the thought, and it is appreciated, but instead of nitpicking on the definition of novels to make them grammatically correct, it would be more appreciated if you simply made new definitions for the tags that aren't defined yet.

Also, definitions need to be related to NU and their usage on the novels. The definition of Beastkin has no relation to NU at all, so it's currently useless.

Not only that, the definition of Carefree Protagonist is using the word "his", this is a gender neutral tag, so the correct word is "their", not "his".

Basically, you're putting effort on the wrong things IMO... >.>

6. Serendipity

Reading List:
    Link
    Tag correction: 'Corruption'

Current tag definition:
    'Where the protagonist or some major character goes from good to evil within the novel. whether in regards to morally, physically, mentally or overall.'

Corrected definition:
    'Where the protagonist or some major character goes from good to evil within the novel, whether in regards to morally, physically, mentally or overall.'

LevelTryHard likes this.
  7. LaDyViL

Reading List:
    Link
    Don't spam posts @Serendipity. I've merged the posts for now. Try to keep it to one post.

8. Serendipity

Reading List:
    Link
    I'll leave defining new tags to those who care to do so; for me, editing current tags is what I'm confortable with. I don't know what you're saying in regards to 'Beastkin', since it's a pretty common tag on NU. And you're right, I should have put 'their', I'll keep that in mind next time.

Funny you should complain about nitpicking, since that's exactly what you're doing

9. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    You're defining Beastkin, but that is not what the tag definitions are for.

The tag definitions are meant to tell the user when they should, or should not use the tag on the novel.

The definition of beastkin is only defining what is a beastkin, it's not saying anything about the usage of the tag. Hence, it's not a definition that is acceptable.
    Yep, I like nitpicking people that are nitpicking, it's a fun hobby. xD

10. LaDyViL

Reading List:
    Link
    We prioritize getting the point of those tags first before the grammar. Nitpicking on definitions that might be edited later on because it contain grammatical problem is not a priority.

NU>Context>Definition>Grammar

I'm not gonna comment on the definitiona for now, I'm sleeping. Feel free to discuss, all thoughts are welcomed. Just don't spam post again, edit your posts.

11. Serendipity

Reading List:
    Link
    Alright, edited the corrections in, thank you for your input.

AliceShiki likes this.
  12. LaDyViL

Reading List:
    Link
    Carefree Protagonist : waiting for edits. I like the definition but the phrasing is too all over the place. This tag describes the personality of the protagonist, referring to the protagonist being someone who is relaxed and nonchalant. The protagonist is expected to not get stressed or care about little issues, but instead takes them in strides. This type of behavior is expected to be shown by the protagonist for a major part of the story, and not on just a couple of occasions. Thanks @MangoGuy @Lord Blitz

Underestimated Protagonist : Definition has been edited as per proposed definition.
    This tag is to be used if the protagonist of the story is thought by other characters to be weaker than they actually are, whether the protagonist does it on purpose or not. It must remain that way for a significant part of the story.

Beastkin : Removed definition. This is too vague. Examples are too gender specific. The use of the word 'thing' to refer to this race's individuals. The use of the words 'feature prominently' is too loose to use in this definition. Accepting proposal for new definition.

Cold Protagonist : Removed definition. "...whose attitude and personality is cold", that's just a lazy rewording of the tag. Accepting proposals for new definition.

Corruption : Removed definition. Looking at the novels listed under it, this tag is more of the politics around the protagonist rather than the characters in the novel. Accepting proposals for new definition.

Thank you for your inputs. Feel free to discuss more of tag definitions or tag relevance here (y)

13. WeaselLord

WeaselLord Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So, I have a question and I think this is the place to ask it (I'm sorry if it isn't). For the game elements tag, according to its current definition it should be added to a lot of novels that currently don't have it (VRMMORPG type novels), so, would I get in trouble if I added it to those types of novels? or is there a reason it wasn't added to those types of novels?
    I'm being careful because http://forum.novelupdates.com/threads/cant-edit-tags-anymore.41677/

14. MangoGuy

MangoGuy Rambling Mango

Reading List:
    Link

LaDyViL likes this.
  15. MangoGuy

MangoGuy Rambling Mango

Reading List:
    Link
    For the VRMMORPG type novels, we are looking more for Virtual Reality+MMORPG tags. While adding game elements is fine, do you think it is necessary? The MMORPG tag itself suggests that Game Elements will exist in the series..

16. WeaselLord

Reading List:
    Link
    So, as I said in the other thread, I try to edit tags so that if I sort by a certain tag, things I would expect to show up, show up. So, if I sort by game elements, that means I want everything with game elements, but almost all of the VRMMORPG type novels don't have the game elements tag, and there is a similar thing with the Level System tag, which is missing from a ton of novels that should have it (including VRMMORPG type novels)

17. marine1corps

marine1corps Invisible to all Novel Updates Staff

Reading List:
    Link
    The thing is with game elements, its used more for the fact that a real world setting has game like elements such as status screens and skills (Looking at typical jp reincarnation settings). If it was just a game then it won't need the said tag because it already implies that it has game elements.

18. WeaselLord

Reading List:
    Link
    I had noticed that it was used almost only for novels that aren't actually in a game but just have things like a status screen; but according to the current definition of the game elements tag, it should be added to all novels with a status screen, which would include VRMMORPG type novels; so, should I try to add it to all of the novels I think it should be added to? Should I just let the mods handle everything? or should I request a definition change for game elements?

Also, it doesn't really make sense to have "implied tags", because that is completely useless for people who are trying to find a certain type of novel and are sorting by tags in order to find that type of novel (which is why the I'm looking for section is used so often, especially now that the skills tag is gone, and game elements is the only way to find that type of novel that has skills not obtained through skill books (or with a skill acquisition type cheat))
    (sorry if I'm being a bother, I'm just trying to be helpful)

19. marine1corps

marine1corps Invisible to all Novel Updates Staff

Reading List:
    Link
    Your opinion is very much appreciated. And yes the game elements tag will probably have to be adjusted to fit with the current usage of the tag. (If you want you can create one)

Here is my reasoning as to why to keep them separate. Its to separate a game (Where dying doesn't have major repercussions) to the real world (Where dying is basically game over). From all the game novels i have read, never had i encountered a novel where its not an mmorpg.

Can you please expend on the "skills", I would like to hear your thoughts on this.

AliceShiki and MangoGuy like this.
  20. MangoGuy

MangoGuy Rambling Mango

Reading List:
    Link
    actually, idk if you know about the Series finder option on NU. Based on tags, we can find novels with tags A,B and C or tags A, B or C. We can also exclude tags. So, you can just type in Game elements OR MMORPG to get the right deal.