Discussion Opinions on Qidian Mega-merge thread 2.0 - All future Qidian Opinion Threads Will Go Here

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by BabaNovac, Jun 26, 2017.

?

Like qidian?

Poll closed Aug 11, 2017.
  1. Yes

24 vote(s)
    13.4%
  2. No

155 vote(s)
    86.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arch

Arch [Popcorn Sect Leader]

Reading List:
    Link
    Um, @SAimNE @Logicsol can you guys take a break, I'm running out of popcorn :cookie:. Goddamn, atleast give me some time to refill them.

2. Danis

Danis {(Harem Sect Leader)}{Trickster}&{Lurker}

Reading List:
    Link
    now i dunno who is right and who is not.....................

3. Raizu

Raizu An Enthusiastic Reader

Reading List:
    Link
    Isn't Reddit already forbid anything related with QI?

4. Logicsol

Logicsol Proud owner of a Toyota Lernlaw

Reading List:
    Link
    Look at it like this.

NU's role isn't to police the community, but to provide a resource for readers to track the novels they are reading. While they take steps to help keep things healthy, that takes second seat to ensuring unique and proper novels are linked.

While QI is a bad actor here, they also host 70 something other novels that people do read.

YunsmoothChe and Nom de Plume like this.
  5. Kokuyasou

Kokuyasou 黒夜葬

Reading List:
    Link
    OH MY GOD MY EYES! WHY ARE YOU TRYING TO BURN THEM!!!:eek::eek:

6. SAimNE

SAimNE Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    After looking into wuxiadream my point is dead. I still personally think they, and any other site, should be banned as long as stolen content is present, but I get that it's not how NU works. I misinterpreted the rule and thought they were changing the rules for "neutrality", but I get that's not the case.

7. Logicsol

Reading List:
    Link
    NU defers to the translator in cases like this.

A rehosted work is linked to the source perfered by the TL, and a poached work only has the original translators work linked, as long as they are considered active as set forth in the rules.

They maintain neutrality here by following a set course of action.

8. Nom de Plume

Nom de Plume [Shio’s Disciple] [True Villain] [Equip: Gunblade] Novel Updates Staff

Reading List:
    Link
    I am just posting as myself here. Any official response will be from @Tony.

Any information NovelUpdates has on this situation is completely hearsay. I am absolutely more inclined to believe the party that has been a contributing and trustworthy member of this community... However, they are legally not allowed to tell us anything about the specifics in this situation.

Despite our 'neutrality' we do have poaching policies, but I'm going to address something else instead.

This is not the first instance where translations are dual hosted, nor will it be the last. In case of multiple mirrors we always link to the translators choice. This is pretty common and usually happens when the translators host on their own site as well as a larger site. NU always try to take the translator's preferences in account as much as possible down to the title the novel is listed under.

Even in this situation, banning Qidian would be acting out against any of the translators that decided to join them. That's not... neutral. Qidian is simply hosting most of these translations.

I think what people are missing that this is in a state of "legal contention." NU cannot make the decision of who the translations belong to and who can legally host them. That is going to be a decision made by a court of law, not NU. The best we can do in the meantime is to host both of them... or neither.

Indeed, this can be looked at like the WD situation.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2017
    runsing, Aiiee, YunsmoothChe and 4 others like this.
  9. Raneday

Raneday Not Rane

Reading List:
    Link
    *Selling Cheese Popcorn, Sugar Popcorn, Vanilla Popcorn, BBQ Popcorn and many other popcorn*

Aiiee, runsing, Arch and 1 other person like this.
  10. Nom de Plume

Nom de Plume [Shio’s Disciple] [True Villain] [Equip: Gunblade] Novel Updates Staff

Reading List:
    Link
    There is precedence, yup.

SAimNE likes this.
  11. Logicsol

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah. Even when, in a case like this the seemingly "correct" answer is obvious, making that decision themselves is by definition a breech of neutrality, and acts against the purpose of the site.

Nom de Plume likes this.
  12. Kiki0246

Kiki0246 Top Notch Fujoshi, Owner of ISO TLs

Reading List:
    Link
    ... a few? You know that there are far more translators outside of the big three than there are in, right?

LaDyViL and syc like this.
  13. SAimNE

SAimNE Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Honestly they can probably just sell the current translations for chump change and use their rep to start less contested projects. It sucks still, but they don't have to tie themselves to qidian to stay afloat.

14. AurionLute

AurionLute Actively Inactive Nonmember

Reading List:
    Link
    That's why I said keep it at reddit if they want to wage war.
    NU have it's own rules or whatever. At the very least respect Tony policies
    Beside those 20 stolen novels are still directed to WW...

YunsmoothChe and Nom de Plume like this.
  15. kaisersose

kaisersose Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Sorry i don't get your point here.
    If the owner of the copyright tell you to stop you have to stop.
    Otherwise you are a criminal.
    WW situation is different because they pay for copyrights.
    The whole point of the fan translation is to deliver to the user something you can't read elsewhere. If the owner of the copyright do it themself you switch to some other novel.

Xpekt likes this.
  16. Rahul

Rahul Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  17. Parth37955

Parth37955 NU #3, [Dead Inside], Mid-Boss, Dark Dealer Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    [​IMG]

This is my opinion and not NU's.

Compared to my more mild colleagues I've always been more of a warhawk. But in this case, I support Neutrality. As we have stated numerous times already, we will not be linking to any novels QI claims they can dual host. Now since all this contract bullshit will be dealt in court and it is not clearly evident who is correct in their interpretation of the contract, we cannot ascertain that QI is an aggregator. Therefore we will not ban QI from NU, not now and unless we're met with compelling evidence, that stance is nonnegotiable. If y'all have a problem with that, you can leave, boycott us, never use us again. I don't give a fuck about what you do but just stop being a dick about it. Does it seem like we're enjoying this clusterfuck?

>.> locked.

Aiiee, runsing, YunsmoothChe and 5 others like this.
  18. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    19641.png oi! who da one moved my popcorn!
    and seriously fan boy and fan girl of WW shut your demand to ban qidian from NU will ya?
    go make flame war on reddit or somewhere else about banning qidian inter from da site~

runsing and YunsmoothChe like this.
  19. Nbhan101

Nbhan101 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh yeah baby. Finally Qi gets what it deserve... hopefully

20. 2835476

2835476 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hello community of fellow consumers, new member joined this site just to let people know some of my opinions( Because they are really importan)

I started out with reading korean novel LMS really good book i was hooked on novels after that, i basically dropped all the manga i was reading at that point in time. I was later enlightened about Chinese novels which are really good and addictive ;P the one that got me into this drug was MGA at Flowerbridgebatoto if i remember correctly(for the most part i don't). Which later got transfered to WXW and it was there my CN novel journey of binge reading late nights and missing some school days just to get up to date with the translation, which by the way was splendid by my standards.

Couple years go by and this new site called Qidian gets promo from WXW if i remember correctly, i didn't know what it was at the time. Basically Ren announced something about copyrights and partnering up possibly with this Chinese novel site which he recommended.
    So i clicked in to the site and it was all basically in Chinese. I dismissed the thing about Qidian from my mind until some weeks or month ago when i read on WXW about Qidian trying to fuck them over royally. At first i was scared the site was gonna get shut down, and all the translations would stop so i tried to be in the loop about this Qidian thing whenever i had the time. It wasn't until yesterday that i found this forum(Amazing thing by the way). So i started readin all the posts by both sides and got pretty worked up about this.

And then one thing in particular annoyed me to the point i had to make this account and say my piece.
    One of the mods on this website called Partha something something, started out with a comment about being neutral(which i thought was fair play by said person). But then i see that said person doesn't understand neutrality, if you are neutral u do not keep commenting(Plural) on the said subject. I believe this person should choose to support whichever side she thinks is right or wrong or just keep from commenting because that is not being neutral at all.

Example: WHO THE FOOK IS THIS GUY!!!

" I am gone with the wind, Just like a Fart"

PS: Ren good luck my friend i sincerely hope you get the better outcome out of this situation.
    And you should think about starting a website and other stuff aimed at Europe and America and other civilized countries where lawsuits scare people. You can ban all Ips from China like some websites that show television shows, you can't watch because you are not included in the sites programed country list. <<<Doing this may prevent them from stealing your translated works, i don't actually know if this is feasible.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.