Discussion Opinions on Qidian Mega-merge thread 2.0 - All future Qidian Opinion Threads Will Go Here

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by BabaNovac, Jun 26, 2017.

?

Like qidian?

Poll closed Aug 11, 2017.
  1. Yes

24 vote(s)
    13.4%
  2. No

155 vote(s)
    86.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zh0lvin

zh0lvin Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Patreon was another way to go, the BEST way imo...:hmm: Great translation quality implies more patreons.
    But because of their misbehavior, readers don't like them much now... so it might be too late for that... :hmm:

Last edited: Aug 9, 2017
  2. GTGOLD

GTGOLD Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I feel like people dislike these advertisements because they break immersion. They didn't implement them properly. They just put them in a place where they know they could get money.

3. GTGOLD

GTGOLD Member

Reading List:
    Link
    As a lot of you know, Qidian has recently implemented a new adwall in their web/iOS/Android application. This is most likely to prepare for their eventual implementation of a paywall most likely in a similar form to Spotify. To put it simply , this is a horrible idea.

In order to prove this first we will need some data. According to similarweb, webnovel.com has a total of 8.6 million visits with a 3.6 million increase from June to July. This growth may have been caused by the WuxiaWorld incident but ill just assume that it could hit this during the month of August.

So using an advertisement revenue calculator and the estimates above assuming that the RPM is $5 , Qidian gains approximately $72,000 from its website per month. Keep in mind that the 3.6 million in visits was an outlier. Even with the iOS and Android applications , I can only guess that Qidian might gain $150,000 per month if it actually achieves 3.6 million in user visits. Depending on Qidian's financial situation this may or may not be a lot of money.

The problem is the idea may stunt the growth of Qidian and ,potentially, webnovels as a whole. Unlike websites like Spotify , Qidian is not the only major choice for reading Chinese novels. There's a ton of other websites , the only advantage that Qidian really has is being the official source and having an Android/iOS App. Not only that , piracy of books is rampent and is fairly easy to do. It is even possible to get a better experience than Qidian using Google Books or other book readers. Not to mention , the existence of adblocking software. The way Qidian has implemented ads breaks the immersion of the reader for a few extra bucks.

So then , how does Qidian implement ads? As with any company , it needs some sort of revenue to survive. Rather than breaking the immersion of the reader , I propose that Qidian implement a model that allows companies to place “ads” within the story and sponsor different chapters or even arcs of a series. These ads could be implemented in the title of the chapter or even in the authors notes portion of the webnovel. There could even be an ads system in which different products get placed within the story ,i.e. a Razer chroma in King's avatar , so long as it fits with the overall theme of it. Obviously , this requires far more work to be implemented then coding in an advertisement window inside an application, however, in the long run , this method is sure to succeed if implemented successfully. Of course, this is just the tip of the iceberg.
    TLDR:
    Qidian will make $72000 off of shitty web ads so they should use sponsors/other ways of advertising.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2017
  4. Aebriol

Aebriol Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Basically, what you are saying is that authors should seek to use advertisement within their stories.

Because of laws around the world, that is a very difficult thing to do. Paid product placement is time-consuming, and very risky, and hard to pursue for authors for a shitton of reasons.

There's a reason why there's a lot of it in movies, and nearly none in books.

Now, for an authors final product to be changed [variable energy drink] depending on who is currently paying for advertisement...it's just weird and dumb.

5. DocB

DocB "I see you, little mouse! Run along"

Reading List:
    Link
    Chapter 53- the fall of giants brought to you by colgate (reccomended by 9 out of 10 dentist)

6. chillo

chillo NUF BioTerrorist

Reading List:
    Link
    I proposed a way to make the translation faster for every ads I accidentally clicked. (or make it more obvious that the reader should click it to make it faster) even though I rarely read over there since I mainly read Korean ones

7. SpiralGust

SpiralGust Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Basicly get sponsored by companies

GTGOLD likes this.
  8. NeaxD

NeaxD Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I am a bit confused by the poll question.

9. Estarossa

Estarossa 《Master of Dessert》°Resurrected Ghoul°

Reading List:
    Link
    So what?

Zhang Xuan starts talking about how coke is a nice thirst quencher in "Library of Heavens Path"?

How is that "immersing yourself into the story"?

Sounds dumb.

Kahzel likes this.
  10. Casshern080

Casshern080 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't like Qidian as a whole, specially because they are a Chinese company, not being racist or anything but I don't think they deserve to host the novels, they are greedy and eventually going to ruin everything for us. You can tell by how they stop other translators and steal other peoples work and call it dual hosting. And the adwall which used to be 10 seconds but have changed to 30 seconds within few days.

11. Gatop

Gatop Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    for the ads an even BETTER way to stop the bullshit is to have adblock off when you load the chapter then before you click to load and play the ad you turn adblock back on. you just have to wait for the 8 seconds to skip with no ad actually playing

12. GTGOLD

GTGOLD Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Wow i screwed that up, sorry! My brain just wasnt functioning when i wrote that. I just wanted to know if people wanted me to talk about how the upcoming paywall wont work in a similar way.

13. GTGOLD

GTGOLD Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Like i said in my post , implemented properly. Maybe training weights perhaps?

14. Beer_Kitty

Beer_Kitty Just a very very drunk kitty that likes beer

Reading List:
    Link
    Why do i have a feeling of being probed at....

Nvm too long to read

15. digitalastronaut

digitalastronaut Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    ya'll are worried about the adwall and i'm concerned with the poor fools who installed their app that wants access to all of your media(photos/videos) and wants to be able to make and place phone calls.

Grandmaster yi likes this.
  16. Makuba

Makuba Wyrd bið ful aræd

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmpf can't reach the apex. But you know what can reach the apex? This BMW! Fastest way to reach mt. Tai

17. Liedral

Liedral Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Frankly... the moment that addwall came up, i stopped visiting Qidian.

18. GTGOLD

GTGOLD Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Because you are...

19. GTGOLD

GTGOLD Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I stopped visiting their website and started using the old app method and used android emulation for desktop browsing.

20. elengee

elengee Daoist Ninefaps

Reading List:
    Link
    And not the good kind of probe either.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.