Discussion Opinions on Qidian Mega-merge thread 2.0 - All future Qidian Opinion Threads Will Go Here

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by BabaNovac, Jun 26, 2017.

?

Like qidian?

Poll closed Aug 11, 2017.
  1. Yes

24 vote(s)
    13.4%
  2. No

155 vote(s)
    86.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Devshard

Devshard Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Good idea.

Unfortunately, not possible at all. It's not even remotely practical.
    The companies/ad agencies with the marketing budget allowance to support that kind of thing are super picky about the content their brand is associated with, and they place even heavier scrutiny on something that they don't know from a company they're unfamiliar with.

Setting aside the content of the stories, the translations themselves are riddled with errors. From typos and simple grammatical errors to more complex language-related issues. No marketing manager or ad agency would allow for one of their brands to be associated with something like that.

Its a big thing to say "Sponsored by Coca-Cola", even if the actual sponsorship amount is tiny. That's Coke directly endorsing and tying its brand to something, which they take very seriously. A bad translation might end up being a minimal loss in readership to most of the translation websites, but diluting and tarnishing brand image equates to millions of dollars in lost revenue for companies like Coca-Cola, Pepsi, Johnson&Johnson, Unilever, etc.

Solracmar likes this.
  2. GTGOLD

GTGOLD Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I've considered this possibility. Maybe just limit the advertising to up and coming chinese companies that want to break into the U.S. I highly doubt big companies like Coke would be willing to do this sort of thing anyways.

3. Bean

Bean Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  4. Phuk Qui

Phuk Qui Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    down with the evil sect that is Qidian

GTGOLD likes this.
  5. Stormingtiger101

Stormingtiger101 Procrastinator ○

Reading List:
    Link
    Question: Is this an estimation of how much you are assuming they'll profit, or is this just what they'll make without including the costs of maintaining the website, apps, and personnel? I'm assuming the latter, but I'm just making sure.

6. Shameless Thick-skinned Ikeman

Shameless Thick-skinned Ikeman 『Happy』

Reading List:
    Link
    anybody part of the deep web that has connections to get a hacker?

it's for a good cause and i'll pay:whistle:

7. GTGOLD

GTGOLD Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This is pure revenue. I have no idea how much qidian spends on making/maintaining the website /paying translators etc and there was no way for me to find out.

8. Devshard

Devshard Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Again, the same problem. If you're using companies that have an established business in China and now they're looking for international expansion, they have a team of marketing consultants that'll advise them of the same exact thing that the agencies running everyone else's campaigns are going to say.

More importantly, advertising/sponsorship rates are calculated according to standardized measures of views, demographics, and how likely something is to subconsciously prod a customer into buying a product. When we're talking about advertising and brand management in the big leagues, image is everything. No one wants to be associated with something that reflects poorly on their brand.

On the flip side of that, as a content producer you have to try and set your advertising/sponsorship rates as high as possible, and constantly try and prove to agencies and ad networks that placement on your site is worth a slowly increasing rate. You cannot start out charging a low amount and then suddenly jump up when you believe you're worth it. The number you start at is the number you work from, and it doesn't spike up suddenly unless something extraordinary happens. If you start a low number because you can't convince people to pay more for ad placement/sponsorship on your content, then you'll be cutting out on an enormous amount of potential revenue later on when your advertising real estate is worth significantly more.

9. Trane

Trane Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If you haven't noticed then "library of heaven's path and immortal mortal" seem to be on gravity tales

10. zamornews

zamornews Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Did you just for an actual company to make a patron campaign.
    Those guys aren't YouTubers man. They need to have actual investers if they want to keep going. Patron is not going to be able to pay all their employees.(app ui design, app programmer, others app related expenses, website ui designers, website manager, website social media representative, translators, quality checker(?), Website programmer(if they created the website themselves instead of buying it), translator recruiter, and a lot more. There is no way patreon will be enough to pay for that.

It takes a lot of money to keep a website online. If your not using third party to make it for you.

They also probably have to try to pay more then their competitors if they want to attract employees since they came in really late in the game

11. GTGOLD

GTGOLD Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Perhaps i should have been more specific. There's a ton of startups in china that are trying to sell to the West. Perhaps these companies would be willing to take a risk on this approach. If the model is proven successful then more companies might follow suit. If something like this actually happened then it would obviously be limited to the best translation that qi has and the profits made from this would probably be going towards better translations. I agree with what youre saying though, image is a huge concern for companies and without great translations this probably wouldn't succeed.

12. Petiepotter

Petiepotter Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Some of these comments are reaching so much that my arm is hurting....

13. GTGOLD

GTGOLD Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Im used to reaching , im short :eek:

14. kenshiro

kenshiro Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    From my viewer perspective, I only know that QI bought GT from behind without telling anyone. So when translater moved from GT to WW the poach claim happend and the whole thing escalated, is that how the war started?

Sorry for my lack of knowledge and perception. I just wanted to know the current circumstances? Cause my favourite CCG translation novel is dead and I have nothing to do ^^

15. Carm

Carm Drip drop, when will time stop

Reading List:
    Link
    Razogul likes this.
  16. KIZUKI

KIZUKI 〈Shem's Minion〉《Fish licker》

Reading List:
    Link
    QI wants monopoly on chinese novel translations. Summarized

17. kenshiro

kenshiro Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    really? :O cause CCG translator has not updated for a while, and made an announcement that he dropped the novel lol - from volarenovel website

18. Sh1r0r3n

Sh1r0r3n New Year and still a workaholic

Reading List:
    Link
    [​IMG]

kenar, InvincibleDespair and Zeckzen like this.
  19. Ratatoskr

Ratatoskr [Aruruu's proud dad] [The False Gentleman]

Reading List:
    Link
    This is has been going on far enough that people don't care how it started, they just want to know how it will end.

Kokuyasou, trag23 and Wujigege like this.
  20. Carm

Carm Drip drop, when will time stop

Reading List:
    Link
    check my message again, new translator.

Razogul likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.