Discussion Suggestions for must-read novels

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Parth37955, Oct 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Azninvasion

Azninvasion Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Where do you plan on placing this completed list as I definitely feel like it would interest others besides people brand new to novels such as myself?

2. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    The list won't leave this thread most likely.

And well, considering how much time passed since Parth last updated this post... Don't expect much... >.>

3. Azninvasion

Reading List:
    Link
    O.O I didn't even realize when this thread was opened up now I'm wondering how I even stumbled upon this....

4. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    The thread is stickied, so it's always on the top of the threads on Novel General.

It's not a bad idea to suggest stuff, maybe someone will go through the thread looking for what other people suggested... It's just... Unlikely...

5. Azninvasion

Reading List:
    Link
    Haha that's fine I mean you managed to see it didn't you so that's at least one person that alone is good enough for me

6. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    <.<
    >.>

I have the thread watched... >.>

I mainly stalk out what people suggest... Altina is already on my reading list though... Teehee?

7. Azninvasion

Reading List:
    Link
    I mean if you really want a suggestion I can compile a few?

8. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    You can give them if you want... It won't help me much tbh, I have over 100 novels on my "to read" list, and it's still growing... You can always leave it on this thread to see if someone sees it though.

Oh, and congratulations on getting 100 messages! You can now pick a custom title on your Personal Details! (if it doesn't appear, you might need to wait a few hours for the option to appear)

9. Azninvasion

Reading List:
    Link
    o_O? I didn't even get a notice that I've reached a hundred messages and thank you for the congratulations. Oh and my recommendations would be Dungeon defense and (Praise the orc!) if you ever want to increase that "to read list". Lol

AliceShiki likes this.
  10. mrducky

mrducky Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I finished ISSTH the other day (well that was good ride :p) and picked up Renegade Immortal. I've read up to c90 now and it seems a bit darker because there is no bashful trickery meng hao did in the beginning. Since this is 2k+ chapters long is it worth reading after ISSTH, or does it have very similar story? Also is it going to stay more "serious", or have it's own lord fifth?

11. EricHanson

EricHanson Member

Reading List:
    Link
    My suggestions

1. Absolute Choice

If you are tired of the same repetitive story and are looking for something fresh, Absolute Choice is made just for you. The central gimmick, the Absolute Choice, is really unique. The main character has an obnoxious and but interesting personality. He isn't bland, and he isn't simply a "I will kill all character." The story centers around the use of physic powers, which is different from the daoist and magic inspired worlds of Xianxia and normal Xuanhuan (although there is also the mention of Daoism and magic and qi in the story).

The main character shows self-awareness and hints of brilliance. He achieves what he does through hard work. The story has many twists and turns and many interesting concepts like a virtual reality game to help people train. And it gets pseudo-philosophical if you are into that kind of thing. The main female love interests aren't simply better than the protagonist for a temporary while before getting over taken by the protagonist; one of them is basically the strongest being in the story. Another is also a legendary historical figure destined to be separated from our protagonist by 3000 years. Our hero always surprises. It's literally fascinating.

2. Duoluo Dalu 2

Mechs, necromancy, soul beasts, and martial arts. A tie-in between Duoluo Dalu 1, Shen Yin Wang Zuo, and Magic Fire And Ice Chef. This story is stuffed with details. In DLDL1, the highest spirit beast was basically 10,000 years old. In DLDL2, our hero starts off with a spirit beast that's 100,000 years old and he goes and collects spirits beasts at least 20,000 years old to be his friends. Whereas in DLDL1, the main characters did this dumb thing where they powered up via a God statute in the later half of the novel, DLDL2 suffers from no such deus ex machina; he powers up gradually through his own efforts. And there is no dumb God battles like Duoluo Dalu 1. The story is very rich.

Also, this is the only Tang Jia Shan Shao story that doesn't turn to BS at the end.

3. Way of Choices

Our hero starts off as a guy with no powers and stays that way for a really really long time. He is able to be awesome during that time by making many friends and being a well-studied person in general. This period is actually really interesting to read about and makes for a fresh change. For that matter, there are like only 3-4 relevant cultivation levels in this story; it's not a story where people simply power level. There is significant character development and analysis of characters' psychological development.

There is also a lot of political intrigue which is extremely detailed and well done. Power is split in many different ways in this story; there is the royal family, the church, the allied youkai, the independent sects of south, the various important merchant families, the millitary, and the super-powerful individuals, ect. The descriptions of how these forces are aligned at any given moment is fascinating.

The entire story reads like a surreal poem.

4. Shen Yin Wang Zuo

There is a really neatly developed class system in this story - mages, warriors, knights, assassins, summoner, and priests. Then the author completely turns the class system on its head with the main character and his party: there's a mage who can't attack, a warrior uses a shield as a weapon, a priest that can't heal, and a summoner who can only randomly summon things. A famous necromancer in the story uses light as his element. The battles are really well done. The main character's love interest does not become irrelevant; she keeps up with the main character's power levels.

5. Heavenly Jewel Change

There is a great elemental system here and neat system for developing abilities.

6. Tale of Gods and Demons

Reading about how the reincarnator overturns traditional assumptions and discovers new elements of the world is really interesting.

7. Against the Gods

8. Heavens Way Library

To be honest, this isn't really all that good, but the profession system is really interesting.

9. History's strongest founder

To be honest, this isn't really all that good, but the whole sect building process was really interesting.

12. Paps

Paps Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmmm... Really I would recomend to read manga or/and watch a good number of anime before guetting to asian novels. It would help to guet the image that some of this novels are trying to deliver, and we will have less people bothering about the little things like Harem, and Betas MC (whatever thats supposed to mean). If you can enjoy a diversity of medias like mangas, and anime you wouldn't have problems with Asian WN and LN.

Kirikaize likes this.
  13. Zatara

Zatara Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hello fellow readers! Here are some few recommendations from RRL - Royal Road Legends.
    • Apocalypse Now - by WizOFTime
    • Godslayer (Hiatus) - by WizOFTime
    • The Dao of Magic - by alkaliho

14. fqidian

fqidian New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Completed novels are always a great start, stellar transformations is the only complete one I can recommend that's complete though

15. kuroarash

kuroarash Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hidden Marriage
    Black Butterfly, Where Does The Black Butterfly Go Drink Water (shounen ai)
    Doomed To Be Cannon Fodder
    Dragon-Marked War God
    Enchantress Amongst Alchemist
    I Reincarnated Into An Otome Game As A Villainess With Only Destruction Flags
    Just Blame Me Form Being Blind In The Beginning
    Quickly Wear The Face Of The Devil (shounen ai, yaoi)
    Shansheng, Wangchuan Wu Shang
    The Demonic King Chases His Wife

16. Asf

Asf 《《The aria of souls》》

Reading List:
    Link
    Utsuro no hako to zero no maria
    Tower of karma
    Evil organization recruitment add

17. Bright_Lucky_Star

Bright_Lucky_Star [Previously Known as OrdinaryUser] The Blessed One

Reading List:
    Link
    Rakuin No Monshou

18. leonkam96

leonkam96 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Is LMS thats good? I read few chapter at the start where he repay his debt... By selling his game avatar who he play till max lv while his family live in poverty n debt, it just weird n he also provoke the loan shark after repay the debt...
    The opening here made me no cont read it till now...

19. airesten

airesten Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Legendary Moonlight Scupltor
    Lazy Swordmaster
    Tales of the Reincarnated Lord
    World Teacher
    Akuyaku Reijo ni Koi Wo Shite
    Dragon's Bloodline
    Praise the Orc
    Arena
    Common Sense of a Duke's Daughter
    God of Cooking
    God of Music
    Everybody Else is a Returnee

20. ShadowkingMS

ShadowkingMS [Sheng gi’s Servant][Main Character Failure]

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmm let's see, okay then.

Coiling dragon is probably the best 'first' cultivation novel to read because it has one of the most straightforward and least confusing cultivation stystems, its also translated extremely well and just saying, if u r truly dedicated to NU/NUF then this is a must read.
    According to either the creator or one of the first admins of NU(sorry I forget your username) this website was created on a whim because mangaupdates decided to no longer translate light novels which included his favourite light novel at the time Coiling dragon. He also said they started translating again so he got screwed over but you can just find all this information on the 1 year anniversary post he did.

So considering Coiling Dragon created a wonderful website like NU/NUF it is definitely worth the read, not to mention there is 22 books of Linley the dragon boy.

Hackz101 and otaku31 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.