Discussion What do you think about this?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Lithit, Aug 27, 2017.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lithit

Lithit Desu~'s Little Griffin

Reading List:
    Link
    First of, Disclaimer. This is merely a hypothetical question, any similarities it shares with real world happenings, are merely coincidental, I am a lurker and a guy who thinks a lot in his shower.

Second of, the title isn't meant to be clickbait, I just couldn't think of anything better, that wasn't 10 sentences long.

So onto the actual question, You're an author, you write a novel, you maintain a fairly strict schedule, one a day, but you're awesome, so you build up a stockpile of chapters, it's no that you don't have floods, you just tend to always be on top of your schedule.

One day, you're done you reach the end, but you're a reasonable amount of chapters ahead (it could be 20, 50 maybe even a hundred (though the last one is a bit iffy)), but you have a patreon, if you just continue releasing chapters on the daily basis you've promised, your stockpile would be enough to eke out at least another month of funding and basically free-pay. You've promised your readers a chapter a day, so what's wrong in giving them that, even if you could give them all the chapters to the end right there and then.

So I'm just wondering what my fellow NUFians think about this, should you just go on with the chapter a day policy and make it look like you're hard at work still writing, should you tell people, but still release a chapter a day, or should you just release everything and take a break?

2. Hunta

Hunta shameless

Reading List:
    Link
    People who do this are my idols.

Shamelessness on a whole new platform.

Englandismycity likes this.
  3. lexlangel

lexlangel Shem's lost butler

Reading List:
    Link
    Take the break~ and publish all together if you got the money suposed to get in case it is finished.
    If it aint finished never mention you got stockpiled 100 ch people is unreasonable sometimes and even if it is only 1 person it might be annoying

Astaroth and UnknownSaint171 like this.
  4. Aizael

Aizael Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Pfft you got low standards

This level of shamelessness is pretty average

Hunta likes this.
  5. Setra

Setra Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If only it's not hypothetical

6. Asf

Asf 《《The aria of souls》》

Reading List:
    Link
    Just keep on the release schedule of one a day.
    You can give your patreon 2 or even 3 chapter per day depending on how much you get for a certain periode of time.. ofcourse saperately from the f2r ones..
    During that time of freedom, you can make a sequal series or even a new novel..

7. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't think there is such a thing as "being done". As someone who writes and stock piles chapters myself. I assure you. "done" does not exist. It may sound like writing is the hard part (which some of it is), but afterwards you gotta go back, do consistency checks, reread everything a few times, rewrite stuff here and there. Do changes and the like. Until it is published, you aren't done. (and even after you still have to fix mistakes)

Being "done" is just the beginning.

Lithit, Astaroth and fuzor100 like this.
  8. Tsaimath

Tsaimath Otter Madness!

Reading List:
    Link
    Release at the same speed, maybe make an extra "event" in which you release the climax in a single strike for patreons

9. redleaf97

redleaf97 Lurker

Reading List:
    Link
    I think its better to mantain the day by day release. Because maybe one day you hit slump, this will help giving time to extend the author imagination and helps the story become increasingly interesting. Its not about the quantity its about quality.

10. Xilphidae

Xilphidae ⚔Swordfish⚔

Reading List:
    Link
    so long as that person actually IS awesome with writing and all then it doesn't matter......

11. I Eat Monsanto

I Eat Monsanto He who courts death

Reading List:
    Link
    Fuck morals

12. CyberCypher

CyberCypher Air Breather

Reading List:
    Link
    if your story is good then the readers should understand you that you want to take a break even if you don't post a chapter after all you are only human
    edit: i didn't read the question through
    i would say go with the per day chapter release technically you are still keeping to your promise of a chapter a day

13. Viola

Viola Studio Ghibli Fanboy Mother of Learning Fanboy

Reading List:
    Link
    I would have no problem with the author just keeping the releases going.

At some point you have to smack self entitled brats upside the cheek and say. "No, you can wait"

He is sticking to his promised rate.
    I would take the extra time to ensure I didn't screw up the ending and beginning work on my next great hit.

Because the moment you finish the daily releases people will hound you for what's next. It's just the nature of all the impatient people who love to comment.

arashi-chan12 likes this.
  14. nazmulm

nazmulm The Lord of Sloth

Reading List:
    Link
    If I'm understanding the question right, you have pretty much written the story to a reasonable end but since you have a big stockpile the readers don't know it's ending so should you continue the one a day or release them all at once and take a break, if that's the case I don't really see a problem in continuing with the one a day deal since you can take a break as the story is done anyway while still delivering on your promise to your readers and if you need more time off just tell them that you need some time off but you should at least tell them when you finished the story so they can prepare.

15. BabaNovac

BabaNovac FUYUKAI DESU Seraglio e youkoso SchrodingerPanties

Reading List:
    Link
    That's why rainbow turtle is so awesome!

16. 13th Echelon

13th Echelon Piping Hot Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You should release at least 3 to 5 chapters a day, There's going to be a lot more viewers because if it's just 1 chapter a day majority of people stockpiles to binge reading or just go to patreon and read ahead.

17. arashi-chan12

arashi-chan12 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ask the people, hold a scavenger hunt or something so readers can work hard to get a chance at reading more chapters

Maybe

I mean, it's the author's decision whether to stick with releases or not but money isn't the only profit here. If they keep releasing at a steady pace, they'll have time to take a break, and they'll have time to work on their next story and maybe even stockpile a few of those chapters so they can release a lot in one go and garner more attention. Sure, it might look like the author is taking advantage of their readers, but then again, taking advantage of extra time is also good. As long as their motive is justified (and not just for profit) then author should just continue as scheduled.

Plus, you never know if the ending will be final final. You might get hit by inspiration and revise parts, or even change the ending entirely, or scrap it so you can continue going. It takes some time for your writing to sink in sometimes, so the more time there is to ponder over things then the better.

18. jgfenix

jgfenix Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I would continue the same and take a holiday or prepare my new project.

19. Lswarmruler

Lswarmruler 『Anya, The Cutest Esper Loli』《Spy x Family Manga》

Reading List:
    Link
    Dunno, but as a reader i think 1 ch/day is pretty good as long its consistence... and too much chapter in one go is like ur body is injected by large amount of drugs, u feel really good but after the feeling gone, it will be worst feeling ever... so, just give the drug once daily and ur body can adapt to it...

20. UnknownSaint171

UnknownSaint171 To Something Sounds Cooler

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah I don't think giving a chapter a day is a good decision since you can easily mess up your story. There's plenty of CN authors proof of that. Like The Dark King. Or I Eat Tomatoes. Not good working under pressure.
    Well unless you have super free time and have already a concrete plan for the story so it won't get messy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.