Novel Yuusha Isekai! Youjo Suki! [Ch 1-152]

Discussion in 'Community Fictions' started by eharper256, Jun 28, 2017.

1. eharper256

eharper256 Purveyor of Dubious Medicinal Elixirs [since 1885]

Reading List:
    Link
    Updated the OP post by making the table of contents into... AN ACTUAL TABLE!! :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: (rather than a list).
    Should make that a little bit tidier. Also, a couple of typos were fixed.

2. eharper256

Reading List:
    Link
    CHAPTER 37
    PONDERING MORTALITY

We leave the magic school, now with the fifth party member in tow. Seria managed to obtain the book she was looking for, trolling Douglas further in the process. Turns out it was a book of thunderous magic basics that he had forgotten about and sequestered in a chest. It's fortunate that his hoarding nature paid off, really, anyone else might well have lost it over fifty years.

He also offered for us to use his noble estate to stay in for the night before we leygated, as he was rarely there himself, and it would be easier for Rishya to pack her things.

Aria seemed happy about this, having a look of reminiscence. She implies she despises Rishya's company, but it just makes her tsundere stand out harder. I think they're surprisingly complementary.

Whereas I've just been given the lunatic mode capture target, if I ever deigned to stray from the common route... which is not a priority at the moment. I still have to go planting more flags before the surveyors hat can come off, if ya know what I mean? Haha...

I decided that it would be prudent to let Aria and Rishya do catching up, so I dragged Seria away (not by her chain, however tempting... I would die first, right?).

So we started on the way back to the guild to catch up with the other two and inform them where we would be staying.

"Fufufu... I am still enamoured by this mysterious force that is drawing young girls to your cause, boy. Could you not also have an idiotic hot-blooded axe-wielding fighter type with rippling muscles and bushy eyebrows to balance things out?" Seria says, bent forward whilst walking backwards, hands behind her back.

"That... that's awfully specific, Seria. Is that your taste?" I joke.

She gives me a wolfish smile and flicks my forehead.

"You've got me. I always wanted a Veranian Barbarian to violate me." She says, her tone reeking of sarcasm. "Even so, boy, your ability to evade questioning is as strong as ever."

"Comes with working for the civil service. Concrete answers tend to cost the government money." I say. Absolutely true, in fact.

She turns around to face the direction she is going as we approach a busy street, and has a ponderous expression, hand on cheek.

"And that is indeed another bizarre incident with your summoning. Whilst it granted the princess a success of sorts, why would her prayers to your world, with its dangerous weapons, not go to one of your soldiers?" She asks.

"I expect it is a matter of who would follow a young girl. Our soldiers have strict hierarchy and discipline. Our spies would not trust her. And most of my world would either not believe the situation, or choose to be apathetic to it." I say, showing a moment of lucidity.

Seria nods. "Yes... that makes sense. Perhaps you are uniquely qualified after all... fufufu..."

"Just because you are unique does not mean you are useful." I quote a popular de-motivational poster.

"Ufufufu... quite... you ~are~ quite the wellspring of useless modesty and pointless anecdotes, boy." Seria counters.

"Ouch, burn..." I laugh.

"We can have you learning to do that by the end of the day if you try." She adds a bombshell.

"What?!? Really...? I thought it would take a few weeks at least."

Well, assuming I didn't cheat by watching it and using a neuromod, in any case...

"Doubtful. Though I won't guarantee fire until we figure out spirit affinity, you already have the requisite knowledge base and imagination. You have the what, and the why, you're just missing the how."

Huh... yes... it was mentioned before, wasn't it? Aria being a rare case of being able to heal without medical knowledge... Seria having memories of ancestors and years of learning as her cheat... and thinking about it, even Rishya had the 'Physician' skill.

What she's saying is, for example, because I know how fire works, consuming fuel and O2, and turning it into CO2 and energy and heat, that I already have the basis for igniting things via magic.

Wizards always having a high INT makes alot of sense in that regard, doesn't it?

We reach the plaza where the mercenaries guild is located.

In the plaza proper, I notice there is stand selling potions, glassware and alchemic looking mixtures. I stop to look.

My weird bomb ingredient identification skill starts having a field day here. If I want to be more useful, it’s important to pick up some of this as well as learning from Seria.

Translation function-san continues to show its crazy versatility, giving me hovering subtitles and pronunciation of all the price-tags on the stall. So handy!

I haggle for several ingredients with the portly merchant, get him to wrap them up, and also take a mortar and pestle, and a filtration set, so that I can get to processing nitrates for nitroglycerin production.

I get away with 1 myriad, 7 bounds as my total costs, which is quite a portion of my new wallet... but I feel it is justified here.

"Mmmm... not bad, boy. I thought you would be strung out by that shrewd man, but you got a barely average deal." Seria says as I move away with my new package of things.

I have a feeling she wouldn't have helped even I was being fleeced though... it would be more entertaining for her to have gloating material.

"That's good to know. It's hard to know the value of things here. I only worked out just now that there were twelve bounds to a myriad!" I respond.

"Well... all this is for you to make your weapons, is it not?" She checks.

"Indeed. Hopefully I can borrow a room this evening." I confirm.

We enter the guild. It is barely a moment before I hear a "Nii! I'm over here!" from a waving and smiling Kiku.

My blood runs cold and a shiver goes down my spine as my danger sense blasts off.

Oh gods... I forgot the guild was a ravenous Kiku fan club. Shiiiit...

-------
    Oops, no actual chapter yesterday. Sorry about that, had to stay really late at work... :blobexpressionless:

3. eharper256

Reading List:
    Link
    CHAPTER 38
    SURROUNDED BY ‘PROFESSIONALS’

Braving the intense gazes all around me and walking voluntarily into the midst of these practitioners of death is quite the terrifying thing.

I plaster a smile onto my face and give a wave to Kiku as I start to walk towards her. I thought Seria would be guffawing again, but looking back, she has an entirely straight face. Weird.

I expected being tripped along the way so I was extra paranoid, but the jabbed foot never came. I felt as though it was considered but was rejected due to possibility that Kiku would run to me and show concern. Cunning lot, or am I overthinking it?

"Um... Nii, why so slow? Is that bag heavy? What is it?" She leans forward with her big green eyes in curiosity. It's monstrously cute. Is it me or is she being rather forward and jolly right now?

"It's things for my weapons. I was just being careful not to trip since there's glass." I answer.

I swear there's a spitting noise somewhere, but Kiku nods. "Un... right. Your big exploding thing was sooo cool. Please show me again when it's ready!"

Oh gods. Kiku, please. Please stop. The magnitude of death glares rises and even the ambient noise level drops. She... she's gonna kill me with a heart attack before the Necrodragon gets close!

But clearly she hears "FINISH HIM!" from the announcer and goes for the fatality; linking her arm with me and saying "Let's go to the back room with the others! Um... there's lots I still... want to do!"

A ghost pours out my mouth as she leads me to the afterlife... and I don't really remember the next couple of minutes.

When I regain lucidity, I raise my face from a desk I am sprawled on to see a Kiku with her palms clapped, bowed in front of me in apparent apology.

"Um, I'm really, really sorry Nii!! D-don't look like that! Um... no! Please don't! I..." she cries.

Its heart wrenchingly adorable, but I'm confused...

"Kiku-sama, it would be more expeditious to explain the plan to Nii-sama, yes?" I see Kaede for the first time.

Kiku fidgets, and looks under her eyes at me, takes a deep breath and...

"I... I fucking hated it! They were always staring and being creepy and asking if I needed help and babying me and...and... like some damn idol! Fuuuuckkkk!"

Rowdy Kiku has a serious outburst. I don't think I've seen that side so vicious. Wow.

I blink in surprise. I thought she was just dense to the guild worshipping her and her sister (and Aria, to a lesser extent).

She takes a deep breath and continues, fidgeting rapidly enough to do cats cradle six times over...

"Um... so... so... Kaede suggested this idea. That... that they might give in if I... if it looked like... hehe... that I was doing adult things with Nii!"

BANG!

I want my nose to explode in a fountain here as that would be appropriate. My blood pressure is certainly up!

Seria, whom I'd nearly forgotten about at this point, appears and starts a slow clap.

"Mmmm... fantastic acting in that case, swordgirl. I can see why... it might be stifling." Seria compliments, nodding.

I see now. I thought she was trying a bit too hard. She... she wasn't just being oblivious, and this was a planned act.

"Um... hehe... t-though I... I didn't have to... umm... act too m... mmmpphhh!"

Kaede mutes Kiku with a palm over her mouth... shame... I liked where that sentence was going...

"Fufufu. Interesting. Although, I can't give you full marks. At the end, you did imply it was considerably more than just the two of you." Seria gains a sharp edge to her tone.

Kiku's eyes go wide as she is unmuted.

"Um... oh! OH NO! I... I AM SO SORRY!!!!" She bends in twain in apology and nearly head-butts the desk with her visor.

"Ufufufu... I forgive you. It was for a good cause in this circumstance, and I still owe you a debt." Seria quips, flicking a twin-tail and licking her lips. She is surprisingly merciful to Kiku.

Kaede shrugs. "I had no... reputation to be lost, yes?"

"You bad girl, Kiku. I thought I was gonna die back there..." I stand, fold my arms and give her a glare, and her face warps as if she's about to cry.

"Um... um... d-do you hate me now...?" She urgently moans.

Am I bullying a girl I like again here? Probably. I sigh.

"Of course not. You're a strong, independent girl. You're as cute as a button. You can cook up a storm. And you're MY mercenary. They can't have you." I deliver my own finisher, staring into her wide eyes as I do.

She goes through an 'Aria-class' concoction of emotions, a rarity for her. She starts shaking like when she's in O RLY mode and begins to burst out in blubby tears in earnest. I ruffle her fringe as the tears and snot drip from her. I consider hugging her, but...

"OH. I NEED MY SWORD AFTER ALL." A gruff deadpan voice states.

"S-sniff... P-papa!?" Kiku snivels.

I freeze, my hand still on her head as she cries, like a child caught with its hand in a cookie jar. My head creaks around like a broken dolls to observe the towering middle-aged man with close cropped green hair, a slash scar across the right eye, and bulging muscles that are currently flexing menacingly.

Yes... actually, it seems I will be dying in this building after all.

4. eharper256

Reading List:
    Link
    CHAPTER 39
    PAPA BEAR

I did nearly have another heart attack... all these palpitations can't be good for me. I start to vaguely understand why those wimpy anime harem protagonists are in a perpetual state of terror. To a certain extent at least. They still need to grow a pair, though. I will face my death like a man.

Fortunately, just as I was grasped by the throat by Kiku's dad, she screamed "PAPA!! Y-YOU'VE GOT IT WRONG!! I'LL HATE YOU FOREVER IF YOU HURT ELIJAH!!"

His grip deflated instantly at this. I'm still on dangerous ground though... and still held by the collar, but at least I can breathe now.

"Gu-Greetings, Ser Arnas. I am the Etranger Elijah. Y-your daughter has been taking care of me." I manage to eek out.

He glares into my eyes dangerously, but lets me go. I fall on my ass as usual.

"She does that." His voice is still without mirth as he looks to Kiku. But then...

"Kiku! W-why are you crying?! Dad is worried!! What happened?!" The tonal switch to urgent panic is enough to make me blink. Is he a big softie for his little girl? I guess so.

"Um... I was... very happy." She snivels, her nose still dripping.

"Huh?" He stops. I can understand his confusion... she didn't sound very convincing just now.

Gradually, the situation is explained. By the end, her Dad has a hand behind his head, scratching.

"I-I had no idea you didn't like it, Ki..." He says. "Y-you used to look so happy when the guys would tell you stories and put flower crowns on you..."

Kiku is shaking again, and face-palms. Her tears and snot are gone now... but she still looks about to cry for a different reason.

"Daaaad! Um... I'm not five anymore. I'm thirteen!" She whines.

"Hnnngh... girls grow up so quickly..." He seems morose.

"Fucking hell Dad!! You even told me I needed to grow up and find a party to go with!!!!" She retorts, going rowdy.

"T-that was... for your... development as a mercenary... Ka was..."

"And d-don't you dare compare me to nee-chan!" She shouts.

Wow. She... she's really gone more assertive, even if she is clearly quivering in her boots as she does so. I have to say that I'm nearly as surprised as her father.

Whatever brought on this change? Gulp... Is it really me that transformed this meek girl with rough edges into this? Should I even be witnessing this?

Her father looks shocked... but then appears to think a bit, and sighs, before smiling a surprisingly gentle smile.

It's a strange look on his battle scarred face, but it seems familiar... it's the face of a father.

"I'm proud of you, Ki." He says.

"Eh?" She goes.

"I was always a bit worried, to be honest..." He continues. "You always looked so scared and depressed in fights... that I wondered if I really did the right thing, teaching you the sword..."

"Eh? Eh?" She repeats.

"...but it seems these last few days... you've found something to fight for? So much, that you'll even think about going against everything you used to know." He grasps her hand, which is currently bereft of gauntlet.

"Your hands aren't shaking, Ki. You can finally protect something. And that's what it means to be real fighter." He nods and smiles again.

Kiku's eyes swim and her mouth works like an industrial press.

"I... um... I..."

Time to push her over the precipice.

"Like your father said. Like I've been trying to tell you for a while. I would be dead already if not for you, Kiku. So would Aria, I'm sure. And Seria. Maybe even Kaede."

Kaede gives me the stink-eye, but doesn't contradict me at least. I'm sure she understands what I'm up to. Seria certainly seems to, and is nodding with crossed arms and closed eyes.

Kiku looks around... and then something clicks inside her, nay, breaks. And she smiles the most gloriously beautiful smile I have ever seen on her. It’s enough to make my heart race furiously.

I really am surrounded by troublesome girls.

"There... remember that feeling, Ki. I'm glad you found it, like I found it with your mother and you girls." Her father says, and ruffles her head. She chitters happily. Kaede gains a wry expression.

Crap... I was doing something her dad also did? That might have been creepy.

He lets go of her fringe, and glares in my direction again.

I feel a bit of bloodlust and it puts me on edge, but it disappears. He nods slightly.

"You've given my daughter something to protect, it seems. I've never seen her this happy about anything except cooking before." He states.

"It... it's my pleasure. I didn't lie; even in just these few days, I think Kiku has become important to both me and Her Majesty Aria." I reply.

Holy shit. I think that was the first time I ever called Aria Her Majesty... Kiku looks wide eyed again. I swear she forgets Aria is a royal quite often!

"Doubtlessly so, Etranger. I will trust you to continue being her guide." He says... but suddenly, between breaths, he is in my face. His look could freeze hell over. "HOWEVER. Guiding her up the stairs of adulthood could be... a mite... ~detrimental~ to your health. Clear?" He whispers in my ear.

"As crystal." I gulp.

"Good, good." He says, patting me fiercely on the shoulder as he steps away. Yikes. Dads are scary.

Seria has looked away and is shaking in mirth again. Kaede has also crooked a tiny smile on her doll like face. Kiku is mostly just blissfully unaware of the threat I just got, going by her blank, innocent facade.

These bloody girls will be the death of me for sure...

-----
    Late chapter is late; was distracted playing War of the Chosen... :oops:

5. eharper256

Reading List:
    Link
    SIDE CHAPTER KK
    BUDDING FAITH

"Um... where has Nii gone to now? I sold the Crawler plates to the front desk." Kiku asks me, brandishing a small purse.

"He ran to the bathroom, yes?" I remind her.

"He's still in there? Does he have a bad stomach? I hope he's ok. Um... Perhaps I should check?" She ponders.

Frankly, you're the reason he's in there, Kiku. I think your father rattled him somewhat. Even though I am no stranger to combat, I found myself in a cold sweat from just his restrained killing intent. Who knows how it affected Nii-sama?

"I expect you going into the same bathroom will not help his current problem, Kiku-sama." I retort, attempting to help prevent further mishaps. I already didn't expect the plan we had to backfire in this way, even if the situation was ultimately resolved.

"Oh! Uh... y-you're probably right." She looks sad. I sound like a villain in retrospect... but it seems Kiku has a very blurred understanding of what is proper to do and say with regards to men.

I expect this is exuberated by Nii-sama's disastrously honest kindness. He treats even a weapon such as myself as if I'm a real girl, to the point where I find myself befuddled.

"Um... you're quiet, Kaede." Kiku says to me.

"That is my natural state, yes." I reply.

"That's no damn good! If we're to be a party we should talk more!" She shouts, balling her fists.

This girl is nothing if not naturally sociable, it seems. My antithesis in some ways.

"Very well. What should we discuss?" I query as I swipe a strand of hair out of my eyes

"Um..." Her eyes swim. "Um... a-are you nervous about the test?" She queries.

"No." I state.

"You shouldn't wor... eh? You're not?" She looks shocked.

"No. I have observed another taking the test. It is well within the bounds of my capabilities, yes?" I retort.

"Eh wot? Ah... I see. I... I envy how confident you are, Kaede." She looks rueful.

"I know not why. Your own martial prowess is quite extraordinary, Kiku-sama. You said to me you also passed this first time."

"I... but I'm the guildmaster’s daughter, why wouldn't I pass? Everyone treated me different." She muses.

"Kiku-sama, I barely know your father; but he does not strike me as one to muddy the results, even with his own kin, if that is your implication, yes?"

"...everyone always said that to me, but I'm always making mistakes... so I don't know how I..." She looks increasingly distraught.

"Has Nii-sama not just told you that you are strong?" I ask.

She goes quiet.

"You must find it in yourself to believe in your own power, Kiku-sama." I continue.

Such hypocrisy, coming from a girl who has discarded her humanity to become a blade.

"A blade cannot choose to save the life of another." Suddenly echoes in my head.

Nii-sama...

I feel a slight flush in my face as my vision blurs. What in the world?! Am I going mad?

"Miss Kaede? We are ready for you now, kekeke." An old woman in a guild uniform snaps me out of my reverie.

That's good. I must need to let off some energy. I squat, stretch, and then nod to the woman, and she cackles and leads me to the training facility of the guild so I can take the basic mercenaries tests.

"Um... knock em' dead, Kaede!" Kiku shouts as I leave.

What an ironic thing to tell an assassin. But for some reason, her earnest face of encouragement makes me quirk a small smile and wave.

It reminds me of Nii-sama.

No! I stomp rapidly after the woman, clearing my mind with the mantra that master taught me...

-------
    Is Kaede being tsundere? Probably, though not intentionally in her case.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
  6. eharper256

Reading List:
    Link
    SIDE CHAPTER AR
    TRUTHS IN THE WATER

I wonder if I've always been envious of Rishya?

N-no! Not just of her chest!

She's always been around.

I think it's actually just that. I'm a no-good princess that can't hold a fork right and likes twirling a spear, and I always was. I remember that she was introduced after I managed to scare off five other girls meant to be my playmates.

But unlike those other girls, no matter how scared she was, or how I made her cry, she never stopped. When everyone shook their heads at me and started to give up, she was still there.

At some point, I realised she would never leave me. And then, I spent an hour crying on her lap, with her stroking my head. I think she may have even saved me back then.

I'm a coward, really. I avoided her because I knew she would follow me, no questions asked.

"Have you fallen in love with the Etranger, Aria?" Rishya questions, suddenly pinning me against the wall, making a big splash.

Whatthehellisthatholysendervilhavemercythiseviliseverywhere.

"W-what the hell are you blathering about!" I spit.

Her red eyes narrow and I look away, focusing on the water.

"I thought so!" She crows triumphantly, flicking water at me.

"Whatever you thought is wrong!" I roar, blowing her away under an abrupt tsunami from my super strength.

As she surfaces she looks like a drowned rat, and splorts out a jet of water from her nose, but then starts giggling furiously. For some reason, it's infectious and I'm also soon laughing myself to death.

After we calm down, she pats me on the shoulder as rivulets of water roll down her peaches.

"You're an idiot, Aria. Whatever is there to like about that shameless dolt? His face?"

I sigh, and I tell her of all the things he has done for me these past few days. Afterwards, she has her fingers on her temple and eyes shut.

"It is hard for me to picture all this, Aria. His first move to me was to grope me and then describe sex in detail." She quips.

"Rishya... you brought that on yourself. The other girls were always talking behind your back about your dumb fantasy about lovemaking. And you know it!"

"But! It would have been nice to dream a little longer. It is most likely my fate to be sold out to the highest bidder. If that had been the point my fantasy shattered, I could have lived easier with it..." she looks morose.

"Not if I can help it! And your father is not the sort to just exchange you for deeds and territory!" I exclaim.

"Not without my consent, no." She shakes her head. "But that is ultimately the fate of all noble daughters. Even princesses. Even Yuuzu. She is running off to be an adventurer as well... but she is just playing for time."

We both sigh and spend about another five minutes lounging in the steaming water. Even though I'm used to getting smelly in the adventuring life, I'll never not enjoy a bath, especially in Mullight estate, which apparently abuses magical power to form an artificial hot spring.

"I suppose all this is worthless worrying. First... we must stop the demons after all. And for that... only an Etranger will work. Cadence already died. Melody might as well be dead. So Elijah is the last chance. I am the last chance." I say.

Rishya looks sad, and hugs me.

"Well... I still don't like him." She whispers in my ear. "But he shares your burden, as I do. So perhaps he warrants further observation. I will tolerate him for now." She states imperiously.

"I'm sure he'll have his hooks in you as well, Rish-chan." I give her a wry smile as she lets me go.

"I... I won't allow it! E-even his eyes are lewd! Hmmph!" She denies it, crossing her arms protectively across her chest.

We'll see. I have an eye for people, and my competition is already fierce...

A knock resounds on the exterior door. It is the head housemaid, Catarina.

"Your majesty! Ojou-sama! Your dresses are ready!"

Well, times up. I was about to shrivel up from the heat anyway. Let’s get ready!

-----
    Aria, on the other hand, is almost certainly tsundere.

7. eharper256

Reading List:
    Link
    CHAPTER 40
    RADIANT JEWELS

Leaving behind the scary place, I feel like I have to ward off a thousand curses. I hid in the bathroom for a while to escape the gazes of the assembled mercenaries. Nevertheless, Kiku benefitted, and is now skipping along happily, clinking in her armour, so I suppose it's all fine.

Kaede was inaugurated as a mercenary without issues after a demonstration of her agility, and sales of the Crawler plates gave us five extra silver bounds to work with, after Kiku's repair and replacement costs.

Kiku said we could possibly get a better price negotiating directly with monster-smiths, rather than accepting the bounty price offered by the guild, but that would involve trawling the city and alot of haggling, which we don't have time for.

Kiku informed me that the sword malformed by me exploding the crawler would take a week or so to repair, so she left it with instructions to deliver it to her father on completion. She would be down one blade for a while. I guess that meant her clip size was reduced to three shots for the dungeon crawl. Hopefully that would be enough.

As the sun set, following some scrawled directions left by Aria, we ended up leaving the north gate of the city, which presented us many acres of histmunch vinyards.

It’s quite an interesting sight, and a contrast from heading up the hills to the forested east, where we went before. I'm no agriculturalist, but it looks like the vines are nicely blooming. Workers can be seen weaving in and out tending them.

From what I heard, much of the Mullight wealth was derived from these fields and the fine wines produced from them, making them one of Jeraldine's founding families.

Douglas apparently runs the fields like a company, paying a salary and offering cheaper housing in the city to those willing to do the commute each morning. Quite progressive.

Jeraldine apparently has a lot of quirks like this, making me wonder about the influence of other Etranger on it, given it was quite famous for summons. Or perhaps I'm overthinking it, and its just a happy circumstance of this world in general.

The manor wasn't far from the city. Kaede spotted it literally the moment we came out the gate. As its also on the coast, the entire distance is mostly just because of the capital being on the peninsula and having to walk around the curved cliff for a few minutes.

It imperiously overlooked its fields from a slightly higher spot just off the road, so we made it in good time... I'd say it was about an hour from the guild, which is fairly central in the city.

The manor proper is relatively modest, two stories, and I'd guess about twenty odd rooms total, arrayed in a squat inverse 'U' shape facing west, if viewed from above. Built around some kind of inner courtyard, in other words.

Kiku is gawking, and that is pretty adorable in its own way, whilst Seria and Kaede are as stoic as usual.

Passing through the grounds, I take the initiative to hammer on the door.

It is nary a moment before a gentleman in formal gowns similar to Douglas answers. He is more portly, with a flushed face and slicked back purple hair, but seems... strangely elegant.

"Good evening. Welcome to the the Mullight estate, Ser Elijah. I am the housekeeper, Jorges. The ojou-sama has informed us of your arrival." He bows to let us inside, and we oblige.

I hope she hasn't informed them of too much. I don't sense any danger...

"Oni... ahem... Ser Elijah!"

Aria is sweeping elegantly down the central stairs, Rishya a step behind. They are both clad in noble dresses that match their eyes, and it is, frankly, a very beautiful sight; streaming light carrying them from the sunset, with elegant marble decor and green carpet framing this precious picture of silver-blue and golden-red ladies.

My heart is in my throat, which must be showing on my face, as Aria seems very happy at my reaction, adding a splendorous smile as she reaches the foot of the stairs.

Rishya is also smiling, which looks good on her. Very cute. She gave me a sharp look initially, but she seems happy that Aria is happy.

They both tap up to the rest of us.

"Um... woah... you look like a princess, Aria." Kiku nods.

"I AM a princess, Kiku." Aria gives her a flat look.

"Ahhh! That's not what I... um... I mean... you looked really... good?" Kiku panics.

"Ehehe... I know what you meant." Aria assures her.

"Hmmph... its good Aria is always so magnanimous." Rishya comments.

I can't help but leak a snicker at this whole exchange. Rishya does have a point, I've always thought it’s a blessing that Aria doesn't act too snooty.

"And what are you laughing at!? Have you gone mad!?" Rishya furrows her brow.

"When presented with jewels of the highest quality, such as you two, any man would feel madness." I swiftly counter, bowing slightly.

"Y-you are a t-terrible flatterer... hmmph!" She looks away.

"Rishya... you'll learn quickly that you can't win against Elijah's shamelessness." Aria says, grinning and patting her on the shoulder.

"Um... it's true."

"This is the case, yes?"

"Fufufu... he is a fool most shameless indeed..."

I feel like I'm getting ghostly ballista bolts in my back again, but all the girls burst into laughter except Rishya, who looks flustered and doesn't know what to do.

I wonder how this ojou-sama will slot in with this mad menagerie of girls?

It will be fun to watch, at least.

8. eharper256

Reading List:
    Link
    CHAPTER 41
    APPRENTICESHIP

"So... wait... where does the spirit go?"

Seria looks under her eyes and scrunches her brows, looking distant.

"Of course... why would you not notice..." she whispers, sighing.

After dinner, it is now my first lesson on the why's and how's of magic use. I don't think Seria is used to students asking questions.

"Is... is that a bad question?" I ask.

Her eyes snap back to me.

"There is never such thing as a bad question. It is just you... you never cease to surprise me, fufufu..." she sighs again, and suddenly moves closer.

"It is merely... I am somewhat ashamed. I only considered this question for the first time in some very recent research. None of my predecessors, or any other pupils of mine have asked this. Ever."

"So... perhaps the spirit is consumed?" I gulp.

"...No one knows. That... that is a possibility. A bad one." She groans, flicking a twin-tail.

"Because the spirits are alive?" I ask.

"If a magician wanted to be a humanitarian at the same time, I'd slap them." She growls. "No. It is because the process is just akin to burning wood, and after all..."

"...there are only so many trees... no miracle, just equivalent exchange, and energy can't be created or destroyed?" I say, linking my understanding to my own rudimentary grasp of the sciences.

Like the popular duo alchemy anime, and in fact, real science, you can't have something of nothing.

Seria looks wide eyed.

"What is that!? Is that common knowledge for your world?" She almost shouts.

"It is an important theory in Earth physics, yes." I say carefully, somewhat startled by her attitude change.

"I see..." her brow creases "Yes... this is something I must study after all."

She ponders, chin on her fist for a moment, but then apparently realises she is still meant to be teaching a lesson, snapping back to look at me and clearing her throat.

"But... in any case, enough of that. I think we should carry on."

She unhitches the broach from the front of her fanservicey tube top, and hands it to me.

"A focus. Mostly a worthless bauble, but useful in utility applications. Like finding your affinity. Close your eyes."

I do so. Part of me wonders (hopes?) Seria is going to do something questionable, but it’s unlikely. She appears mostly focused and less of a troll when instructing it seems.

I feel an odd tingle all over.

"Fufufu, the spirits here are quite excitable. Well... let us begin."

"What do I do?" I ask.

"Let us try the orthodox method first, and if that fails, the Torosky method... mmm... very well. Think of something that is on fire. Burning. Flames. Picture it in your head."

I can't help but recall the molotov. I was actually quite terrified and disgusted at the intensity of the blaze... the smell of incinerated flesh. The raw, rolling waves of heat... it makes me feel hot just thinking about it.

"STOP!" Seria shouts. I do so.

"Hmm... Very good. That is... better than I expected. Around... two quarts? I'd say so."

I open my eyes. The focus feels warm in my hand, now I think about it. A couple of embers appear to lazily swirl around it, but disappear quickly.

"You saw them, yes? Fire spirits are basically indistinguishable from embers. You have a minor affinity there."

"So I can make fires after all?"

"Perhaps. But not likely. They were quite lethargic, so I see you being limited to warming yourself slightly. Don't be disheartened, though... fire is actually a very uncommon affinity. Those who have it almost invariably experienced nearly burning to death in some form." She states, with a stern tone.

That’s pretty macabre. But I guess the way to truly understand what burning feels like is to be in a real fire... and live to tell the tale.

"Mmmm... well then. Let us proceed. Do your best to think of water..."

We proceeded like this to test all nine spirit types. It turns out that besides fire, water, air and earth; there were both metal and wood, light and thunder, and void spirits.

Funnily enough, it appeared my highest affinity was also thunder, at seven quarts, which gave Seria a wry smile. But earth and metal were also quite high at five quarts. Void and wood were zero.

"You and I are surprisingly... compatible, boy." Seria states, raising an eyebrow.

"I was never a child to be scared of lightning. I enjoy a good storm." I reply.

"Ufufu... you flatterer." She grins.

"Is seven quarts good?" I ask.

"I myself have fifteen. Sixteen is the highest ever recorded. You're not quite Sage material, but it is good enough for a journeyman sorcerer. Same with your earth and metal. I suggest you pick one of these." She states.

"I... I can't have all three?" I query.

She raises an eyebrow. "You ~are~ a greedy boy, fufufu. But no... You cannot. Attuning to one type invariably shuns the others. Though you can learn as many incantations as you like, the spirits will not respond... normally. Some anomalies ~do~ exist, but they go insane, or destroy their own bodies from conflicting power." She looks wistful.

I did wonder why Seria, with all years and her ancestors, only mastered thunder magic. Does this restriction apply to my skill tree as well? I'm not in a rush to try it.

Well... I wonder what I should choose...

9. eharper256

Reading List:
    Link
    Oops... no Friday update again... what's with these crazy Friday's I keep having? Fortunately, I already got ahead a tiny bit early in the week, so I still have two chapters for you today to compensate! Enjoy!
    ------
    CHAPTER 42
    SHOCKED

Thunder it was. I figured that it was 40% stronger compared to the alternatives. Assuming these 'quarts' work like that. Not to mention, this was also my teacher’s speciality. And... it also potentially fills a function I would be lacking: I can presumably use my own electric power as an alternative to making complex electrical blasting caps. If I get to the point of making very strong, yet stable explosives like C4, this is going to be essential.

Seria cackled at my choice... but quickly straightened her face... and then proceeded to instantly blow me across the room with a charged blast out of nowhere. I didn't sense any danger at all.

I crashed into a wall, juddered and collapsed from losing the feeling of my legs, as electricity surged through me. My ears rang from the thunderous roar.

As I lay sprawled on the floor, she came over and squatted next to my face. Addled as fuck, for some reason I can still appreciate the close up view of her black panties and bare midriff. Priorities...

"I am sorry." She pats my shaking head. "But this is the quickest way to force thunder spirits inside you. Normally we attune over a few months... but..."

I can't respond. If I try to talk I'll probably bite my own tongue off.

As I shake, the door to the room slams open. Aria is stood there in a casual looking blue one piece dress.

"What happened?! Ahhh!!!"

She sounds underwater to me as she shouts. She dashes forwards, but Seria holds her back with an outstretched arm.

"Please do not touch him. He is attuning." Seria growls.

Aria holds back a snarl and starts stomping around. It is about half a minute before she stops pacing. The other concerned girls, all also wearing various forms of casual dress, arrive in the meantime, followed by some house staff.

"You idiot, onii-chan! Why did you pick thunder?" Aria growls.

"At least I didn't have to bury him alive, or break a knife inside him. Those were his other options." Seria says something scary.

Aria and others stay quiet. The shocks continue to run across my body, and I find I can't take it anymore.

I pass out.

... ... ...

... ... ...

"He's coming to."

"Thank Sendervils mercy."

The voices make my head ache.

Thunder harrowing completed. 2 skill points awarded. There are new selections you can choose to learn.

I get the announcement in my head straight away. It reminds me why I was passed out in the first place. I still feel a bit numb from the shocks. Inside, I feel a bit weird, like I am shaking in anticipation or have nervous energy to spare.

I open my eyes and see Aria's face up close, peering down in concern. Thinking about it, there is a soft feeling on the back of my head! Is this... the legendary lap pillow?

"It's an angel. I'm in heaven!" I exclaim.

"Oh shut up, Elijah! Don't even joke like that!" She gives me a deadpan look, and lightly throws me off. I think she blushed for an instant though.

"The lady doth protest too much, methinks." I mumble into the carpet before sitting up.

The four girls are unilaterally stunning right now. Aria and Rishya are in matching casual one piece dresses. Kiku and Kaede are in dressing gowns of some sort, both with their hair down. Kaede's hair is actually pretty long outside that bun, huh? Were they in the bath!?

"Um... he is about normal then, hehehe..." Kiku titters, shying from my gaze.

"If you mean he is a shameless fool... yes, quite." I hear from Rishya.

"Nii-sama, did you select thunder because Seria-sama would be your tutor?" Kaede asks, beckoning behind me. I guess Seria is behind.

I stand up, brushing myself off as I face the girls. "That's part of the reason. But mostly because it can be used to help with explosives."

"What is ecks-plou-zivvs?" Rishya asks about the sudden strange word I doubtlessly just came out with.

"It is the boy's otherworldly secret weapon. I have also yet to witness it. I am trembling in anticipation myself, fufufu." Seria answers from behind. I can't tell if she is being sarcastic. I look back. Whilst the others are crowded around me, she has gained a pair of spectacles and is writing at the desk, mostly unchanged from before.

"Though I merely saw it from a distance, it was indeed impressive, yes..." Kaede says. Did she just try to compliment me?

"Huh... I best get started on making some more then. Errm... but what about the rest of my lesson, Seria?" I question.

"Mmmm?" Seria looks up from scribbling. "Ah... that should not be necessary for now. I am preparing some reading material for you, but now that you are attuned, you should be able to generate shocks without much effort. Get used to that first. Simply imagine storms as you did during your attuning."

I close my eyes. At that point, when Seria was asking me to imagine a storm, I actually thought about an impressive electrical arcing apparatus I saw at a science festival once, though I didn't tell her. It was similar to that famous picture of Tesla. I guess, because I come from a place that utilises plentiful electricity, and I understand basic stuff about current and voltage, that gives me my affinity for it?

I think about that again, and suddenly, I feel the hair on the back of arm raising all at once. As I open my eyes, a tiny jolt of electricity arcs outwards.

Aria's hair suddenly puffs outward in all directions.

"Oh? Most impressive, ufufufu."

All the other girls join Seria and burst out laughing. Even Rishya can't not snigger behind a hand. Well, a silvery afro is quite ridiculous.

"E~LI~JAH~!" Aria's mouth is twitching in a terrifying smile as she stomps up to me, cracking her knuckles.

Time out! I don't know how to aim! Halp!

10. eharper256

Reading List:
    Link
    CHAPTER 43
    MYSTERIOUS CHEMISTRY

All sorts of glassware is now arrayed in front of me. I have borrowed a shed once used by Douglas to perform alchemy experiments, which isn't far off what I'm doing. Although... despite the implications of that as being a rickety shack, I guess it is better to think of it as just a small lab separated from the actual home, stuffed in a wooden cabin.

With the two points I got from surviving the thunder harrowing, I invested in a new offshoot of Improvised Explosives II, Explosives Chemistry. This cost both points and appeared to give the knowledge to make nitrocellulose and white powder. We're really starting to get to the powerful stuff here. There are further tiers of both explosive paths, but each is a crazy pricey 7 points, so those could be a while coming.

You might wonder why I didn't go for any thunder magic? Well... the only spell I've witnessed Seria incant so far was something high-end (Torhammer, presumably).

So whilst I noticed 'Minor Zap' had appeared, already learnt, as the root of new part of the skill forest, there were only '???' options leading from it, indicating more prerequisites, most likely knowing some thunder incantations as this magic is clearly not from earth.

One of flasks I have starts to bubble, so I reduce the heat.

Frankly, I still don't fully understand the concept of nitrification myself. After all, I actually ended up failing higher level chemistry at school, which is mainly what drove me into the humanities degree route.

Despite this, my hands work and somehow, part of me moves like I've done this a thousand times before.

Skills from the Multivultus Scientica are actually pretty scary like that. It's pretty evident in the whole precognitive dodges as well. I basically have control of my body wrested from me to force me to make the most survivable movement. Like for an instant, an amazing acrobat takes my place. But since it’s just an instant, I don't have the follow up moves, and always end up on my ass.

I suppose... it could be considered rather sinister. Not that I'm complaining. It is all that is keeping me useful, and alive, in some cases.

This process is far more involved than making an impromptu Molotov. But after what I guess is two or three hours, everything comes to a head, and I have me some proper white powder, stuffed into little glass vials and wadded with wax threaded with fuses.

I hold one of the now thirty vials up to the lantern light. It went dark outside ages ago.

A bit slapdash... but stable without flames applied, which is what I was going for.

"These little things are dangerous? I find this difficult to imagine."

I turn to see a huffing Rishya. She is carrying a tray with a teapot and a single mug, and sets it down.

"Alot of things are more than they first appear." I say, smiling at her.

"Don't misunderstand. You are an asset to Aria's mission. Your sustenance is, sadly, part of my duty."

"Ouch. But... if that were all, surely a maid could have brought me tea? But instead, the young mistress herself braves the night."

"Hmmph. If nothing else, you have a way with words." She responds, flicking her nose up.

"Thankyou."

"I am not complimenting you. A snake’s glibness is not a thing to be admired."

"Then whilst I am glib and not admired, I suppose I should take this opportunity to apologise about before." I say, scratching my cheek.

Rishya sighs and looks away.

"There is nothing to apologise for. Cruel as you are to shatter a maiden's pure delusions, truthfully I was only lying to myself, and well aware of the fact..."

Huh... that's unexpected. Maybe she doesn't hate me after all.

"...and in any case, Aria has already had enough suffering, so I have determined that I will attempt to come to terms with your beastly nature, for her sake."

Maybe not. She is actually just a surprising realist? At the very least, her loyalty is pretty astounding.

"For her sake..." she repeats under her breath.

Rishya has a resigned, yet surprisingly content look to her. It feels... surprisingly maternal, buried beneath this shell of a fussy ojou-sama.

Her red eyes suddenly snap up to glare at me again.

"...w-what is it!? Stop looking like you pity me!! I'm leaving! Hmpph!"

Oops, my surprise must have leaked onto my face. She dashes outside and slams the shed door in my face before I can apologise again.

I look at the still steaming pot of tea, and smile to myself.

"Thankyou for the tea. I appreciate it." I say loudly to the door.

There is a slight yelp and then I hear a pitter-patter of rushed feet.

What a bizarre girl this one is... though actually... bizarre is the standard state here among these girls.

Well, I'm out of vials, but have enough powder for another couple of uses. I think this will be for the specialist grenades. I still have the black sand and the cuts of terrimar I can use to make a couple of scary flechette and chemical bombs. I'll have a full arsenal then.

Let's get it done!

Last edited: Sep 9, 2017
  11. eharper256

Reading List:
    Link
    CHAPTER 44
    BREAK THAT WALL DOWN
    MILDLY NSFW

I groggily open my eyes and squint at the bright rays of light penetrating the shed. Some chorus of singing creatures, presumably birds, is making a racket outside. From the light, it feels like mid-morning.

Ah, so I fell asleep at the bench after finishing. Strangely, though, I don't feel too cold or uncomfortable...

It's nice that the summer is so mild here, I guess. Makes a change from home.

I stretch, and pry my cheek off the workbench, rolling my neck a bit. As I do, a duvet drops off me and I do feel a slight morning chill.

Huh... I wonder who put this here.

My question is answered as I stand and see a curled up Aria on the nearby sofa, with another sheet covering her. She is back in her combat outfit, and her black spear is propped up next to the door.

Huh. I'm not as dangerously close this time, so I can more safely observe her snoozing on her side, silver hair in a mess as she breathes peacefully.

I can't suppress a big wry smile at this composition as I crouch next to her. A stunning girl can really pull off a scene to make a man fall in love without trying, can't they?

"Gahhhh!" She evidently detects me, breaking the serenity as she suddenly opens her eyes and leaps up, almost braining herself on a crate next to the sofa.

"Good morning." I say.

"Nggghh... dammit! Again... craaap... I'm becoming so weeeak..." She looks away and blushes furiously, cradling her face in her hands.

"D-don't get any funny ideas. I-I just... was doing dawn training and I thought I'd check on you... b-but..."

She and Rishya are scarily alike. I can't help but burst into laughter, holding my sides.

"S-shut up!"

I get a rising kick to my shin.

It certainly shuts me up, but this, as usual, was not an especially well thought out move by Aria, as my leg buckles from the attack and I fall straight on top of her, tangling us both in the duvet she was still partly covered by.

She struggles furiously and we both fall off the sofa in a pile with her on top.

Now we have the straddling scene I expected from Rishya's impact yesterday. Her skirt is riding up too and I can see her panties.

I feel so happy at being able to be part of this cliché, at last! So much so I instantly forget the pain of my leg.

Aria is frozen with another crazy face. But then she starts to cry, hiccing as tears spill down her face.

This is not the reaction I expected, and it sobers me up rapidly.

"Urk... uuuuu... w-why does this always, hic, happen... to meee... wh-why do I keep being so... stupid... I d-don't want to p-push you away... I never wanted to fight like this... demons... I'm always scared... it is all down to us... s-so... don't leave me, don't go back! I couldn't... wahhhhh!"

I sit up and hug her tightly. I sigh. She was carrying so much responsibility, wasn't she?

"Aria... you ~are~ stupid sometimes. Didn't I say I would stand by you? I'm an idiot as well, but I keep my promises. Talk to me. I'm your summoned hero, we're in this together."

She cries into my shoulder for a while as I pat her small back.

She goes limp for a couple of minutes, sniffling, but then whispers in my ear...

"Thankyou. T-this is how you get all the girls, isn't it?"

Hmm. I wish this kind of thing worked on most girls. But we actually have a rather unique situation here.

She wiggles out of my embrace and looks wistfully at me.

I can't not focus on her dishevelled silver hair, her pure blue eyes, her pale exposed neck and collarbones. Something rises. I'm honestly fighting a vicious urge to kiss her and ravage her right away.

"I actually don't think I'd mind. I must be insane." She says, smiling bashfully, from apparently feeling my... uh... thoughts.

I swallow. Not helping! I'm not a libido-less JP protagonist, Aria! This is dangerous!

"But not right now." She puts a finger on my lips seductively.

"We... uh... need to think straight... it... it's hypocrisy coming from me... but... we can't become one like this. We... we would end up... prioritising the... the wrong things..." she sighs heavily.

She stares into my eyes, blushing, and then kisses my forehead with a peck, before peeling herself off somewhat reluctantly.

It does little to calm the roaring tempest inside me, but I endure, with difficulty.

"Y-you had better take responsibility for corrupting yet another maiden!" She cries, shaking her finger.

"R-responsibility... eh... uuuu..." She briefly looks at me and then shies away, the colour of a beetroot.

"I will... uh... leave this blanket here... and... uh... tell the others you're asleep still. Get rid of it when you're d-done. T-try n-not to take too long!! Kyaaaa!"

She dashes off, grabbing her spear and running out the door, shutting it with a bang.

Wait... what? Surely she didn't just imply...

Oh my...

12. eharper256

Reading List:
    Link
    CHAPTER 45
    CEILING NINJA

I didn't spank the monkey despite how naughty it was being. I think the shock from Aria implying I should was enough to sober me up. I did consider it as I sat there slack-jawed for a few minutes, though.

Out of all the things I expected to hear from Aria... that surely was not one of them. Sometimes she is bratty and naive, but then she manages surprisingly adult gestures. This dissonance is part of the joy of girls at this age. I should expect it... but I have never actually witnessed it before now. It's... kind of scary...

I eventually groan and adopt a foetal position on the floor for a moment. I think my stomach is a butterfly’s breeding ground at the moment.

"Um... Nii-sama? Are you ok?" I am jolted out of my terror by a concerned voice. But I can't see anyone!

I leap up in shock, gulp, and look to the rafters of this large shed.

Sure enough, Kaede is there, swinging her legs almost playfully. I sweat bullets.

"Uh... Kaede, j-just how l-long were you up t-there?" I stutter.

"I have been keeping guard of you and the princess since this morning. Two important personages I am now bound to protect were asleep in a place with significant security flaws, yes?"

Oh my god. I feel faint as a ghost pours out my mouth.

I envisage the poster of 'God-kitten is watching you fap' and replace it in my mind with Kaede's doll-like face.

I squeal at how close that was, and all the remaining bloom downstairs closes up for winter.

"So... you didn't... uh... leave after Aria?" I pointlessly question.

"She was fully awake, and heading to a place with Kiku-sama and various dangerous maid staff. The risk was mitigated, yes?" She logically responds, blinking.

"Hahhh..." I deflate. "I shouldn't expect any concept of privacy from a ninja... my bad..."

She momentarily looks puzzled and then nods, tapping her palm with her balled fist.

"I will not be alarmed if you wish to relieve yourself, if that is your concern, yes?" She tilts her head quizzically. "You have the princess’s permission, and you appear to forget that an assassin relishes in the moment of passion. It is an excellent time to make a kill, and in fact, master trained us to see if we could catch him this way, as he was not reserved with his own vices for women..."

"THAT'S NOT THE POINT!!" I almost shout, face-palming.

I realise that I've not seen her talk this much since... ever. And again I hear about her aberrant upbringing. Even if the logic was sound, in a twisted way, what were you showing to the children, old ninja!

"I apologise. I was unaware this was such a concern for you, yes? If it is your will, I shall endeavour to wait outside of sight in the future..." She says, looking sad.

Hah... still not helping... but I guess it's foolish of me to punish this 'weapon' for it's ingrained traits. A bad workman blames his tools... and honestly, the thought of having shadowy protection when I'm vulnerable should fill me with confidence, right?

"No..." I start. I look into her eyes. "It... it's just my old sensibilities rearing their head. You are... doing a good job. I appreciate it."

She goes wide eyed for a moment, and then leaps down like a cat. The drop makes her outfit flap, and I see her garters and lovely legs quite clearly. Also not helping.

"You are such a strange man, Nii-sama. Do not hesitate to punish me if I am in the wrong. I am used to it." She says, sighing.

"Then I will. Come over here."

She looks sad again, but dutifully marches up to me.

I ruffle her head like I do with Kiku and Aria.

Her mouth grimaces and she closes her eyes, also like a petted cat. I let go. She looks up with a strange expression.

"I do not understand. This is... something I... I..."

"Wanted?"

She opens her mouth wide, her brows crease, and she blushes furiously. This is certainly the most expression she has ever showed.

And then she honest to gods disappears from view. No smoke, no magic. Just gone. I guess flashy ninjas are just a TV thing, why would you need stuff like that?

Her stealth is pretty appalling this time though, as the door flies open and I hear her running frantically away.

The fact that ~this~ is the thing that rattles her though... she really is another weird specimen.

Still, that makes it three girls who have emotionally fled this shack. I quirk a wry smile at my sudden lady-killer tendencies.

I gather up all of my explosive vials into a pouch, and go in search of some breakfast.

13. eharper256

Reading List:
    Link
    CHAPTER 46
    A HEALING BATH

After finding some rather delicious pancakes with interesting tangy Mizris jam from the kitchen, I briefly watch Kiku train against ghostly enemies in the yard. Her movements with her twin blades have become even more confident and almost... furious. She is highly focused, and doesn't notice me, so I decide to leave her alone.

A maid 'politely' informs me that the baths are available. I do stink a bit for various... reasons, so I have her guide me to the men’s changing room and even check the sign carefully. The last thing I need is strolling into the girl’s side, which is exactly what would happen with my luck.

When I hear that the place is actually a magical hot spring, I get a bit excited, since I never actually got around to my long overdue Japanese holiday at home due to finances. I'm happy to have an opportunity to try one out!

It's fantastic as I expected. The heat feels like it might strip the skin from my bones when I first immerse myself, but it's at the high end of tolerable, which, considering my obsession with hot showers, is quite a boon.

I lazily lounge for a while there. The steam also does a number on my sinuses, and all of my grogginess is lifted. It very much reminds me of a hydrotherapy suite and sauna I visited once.

I decide it’s nearly time to get out after about another five minutes, but as I stand up, I notice a weird red glint in the corner of my eyes.

Following the glint, I see that, behind a rock, an ornate looking staff has been propped up, partially in the water.

It has a black steel shaft, similar to Aria's spear, and a twisted golden design at the head that somewhat reminds of the Caduceus, but with more of an angelic wings theme. This wing motif surrounds quite possibly the largest garnet I have ever seen, as big as half my palm. I don't think it’s a ruby. Rubies are redder and have a swirly colour invoking the intense heart of a forge, but this has a uniform redness. Well, assuming the gems are the same here... who knows with the weird fruit types?

But even if that’s just a garnet, this staff would still be crazy valuable back on Earth.

Is this bath secretly the manor's treasury?

Jokes aside, I can't imagine it is supposed to be lying around here, so I'll take it to a maid.

I pick up the staff, and I feel a mildly excited buzz in my nerves. Like something crawling over my grave. Weird. Is this... a reaction from the spirit that Seria forced inside me? It feels like that. And it would make sense that a staff like this is magical considering its fine craftsmanship. And does this mean I can detect magic by touch now? Interesting...

I carry it to a bench and drop it for a second as I dry off and wrap myself in a towel, and then pick it up to leave.

Suddenly, the door opens up, and the large housekeeper I saw briefly yesterday appears. Jorges, wasn't it? He is still fully dressed (thank god) and appears to be nervous, as he is sweating and puffing like a boiled teapot.

"Ah! Ser Etranger! I do apologise!" He bows deeply.

I shrug. "No need, I was just leaving. Is there a problem?"

"No... I was just looking for Micha... I mean... ahem, the Ojou-sama's... her... her..."

He realises I am holding a staff.

"Her staff? Is it this?" I enquire, offering it to him. "It was in the bath."

"Yes... that is it... hahhh..." he sighs in relief "I cannot believe she left it... ahem! I am sure she had a good reason to..."

I grin. "You really don't have to stand on ceremony for me. Please take it to her."

His eyes go a bit shifty.

"Err... this is rude of me, but could I please ask you a favour, good ser?"

I roll my eyes. If you think about it, the situation here is pretty evident. Rishya has lost her staff, and panicking about how she probably needs it for our journey, is likely imprinting this onto the house-staff.

"You want me to take this to her?" I ask.

He goes a bit wide eyed, and then bows deeply. I am a being used as a scapegoat but I am much less likely to have any enduring troubles with her, so it’s sensible.

"That's fine. But please wait outside and guide me to her room when I am dressed."

"Absolutely!" He happily says, as he bows even deeper. I don't know how he manages to fold like that with his weight.

I promptly redress myself and then follow Jorges to the second floor.

I knock at the door pointed out to me, and open it. The bedroom is really quite majestic, navy blues and sea greens, a big painting of a voluptuous looking blonde noble woman on the wall (her mother?), and a four poster bed. It screams affluent ojou-sama.

Rishya was clearly pacing anxiously and is facing the nice view over the vineyards. Perfect for an ambush!

"Have you found him!? You better have!! I can't be without Michael!"

Oho... I knew it when Jorges was acting suspiciously. She calls her staff Michael.

I stroll over to her, and probably wielding an internet-troll face, I tap her on the cheek with the staff from behind. I'm such a child sometimes, haha...

"Kyaaa! What are you DOING!!?" She spins round rapidly, looking furious.

"Returning Michael, milady."

"Ahhhhhhh!" She recoils with a rapid shift to an expression of shock, and there is a 'pang' as she hits the window pane lightly. Her chest shakes as she does so.

"E-e-e-elijah-sama? Ehhhh?"

Ooh... she must really be rattled to call me with a -sama if she hates me. Great result!

Seriously, I need to get out the habit of bullying girls I like. But it's just so fun!
    --------
    Yes! We finally introduce the most important character: Michael!

More seriously though, in case people were wondering, there will be just two-three more chapters before we get back to adventure. Personally, I have enjoyed the character development evident in this downtime, but I'm aware it's not for everyone. What did you think of this mini-arc so far?

14. eharper256

Reading List:
    Link
    Oops, I forgot to mention I wouldn't be able to post much of anything this weekend due to prior commitments. I will return to your regularly scheduled programming next Tuesday as per normal.

15. eharper256

Reading List:
    Link
    CHAPTER 47
    DUKE’S BLESSING

Rishya is cradling her staff up to her chest with a rather frustrated expression as we walk down the corridor to find the others. We should get going soon, after all.

I kinda feel jealous of Michael at the moment.

Rishya keeps peeking at me from the corner of her eye. I catch her gaze and she looks shocked again.

"Is there something on my face?" I ask, and we stop.

"N-n-no!" She looks frustrated and swallows repeatedly, chewing on her words.

"I... I cannot believe how shameless you are!" She finally shouts, balling her fists as she grasps the staff.

"Guilty as charged." I bow exaggeratedly.

Her eyes swim and her mouth opens.

"H-how can you say that!"

I cock my head. "Because I have no illusions about what I am. I gave up lying to myself a long time ago." I shrug.

"Hahhh..." she puts her index finger to her temple and closes her eyes in a grimace “You are so different to what Aria is used to... what I... it is no wonder..." She whispers.

"No wonder what?"

"N-nothing! We are wasting time!" She has a weird expression as she marches off.

She hates me, right? Who knows... she plays the tsundere act even better than Aria does. It's yet again an indication of their similarities? Though there are certainly differences as well, for sure.

Thinking about Aria does make me gulp to myself as one cannot help but recall her appearance and words this morning.

We reach the dining room. Aria, Kiku and Kaede are stood to the side of the table in here.

"Nii! Good morning!" Kiku exclaims, waving happily with a resplendent smile. She's really become a flash-bang of joy since yesterday. Too bright, Kiku! My eyes!

The stoic ninja appears to have calmed herself from before, arms folded, and is sporting a stone-cold look that only increases her doll-like appearance.

Aria gives me a highly sheepish grin, and looks away, tapping the floor with the toes of her boot shyly.

I feel a mild sense of danger from my left, and look to see that Rishya has gained a dangerous looking flat expression.

Holy crap, is this that woman's intuition? Rishya is clearly very conscious of Aria's behaviour. I look away before her accusatory red eyes pierce my soul.

"Err... ahem! Where is Seria?" I postulate a relatively safe query to break the ice.

"The Sage left a couple of hours ago to the castle to begin preparing the ley-gate for this evening." I hear behind me.

Douglas strolls past me and Rishya to sit at the head of the table.

"Grandad!" Rishya exclaims, forgetting her enmity for me and running over to his side.

He takes up the 'gendo pose' steeping his fingers whilst sat down.

"Before you leave, Etranger, I have something for you."

One of the maids walks in with a breastplate. It's a nice piece, steel with a bluish grey tinge, and it has a small blue stone set in the middle.

"Grandad!! How could you! That! That is Yuuzu's engagement gift!" Rishya jumps and shouts at Douglas.

"Do you have any use for it, Rishya? Any reason why it should not be used to help protect the Etranger, like it protected your uncle? And do you see Yuuzu getting married any time soon?"

She goes quiet and hangs her head. From the fragmented information, I think I can assume Yuuzu is Rishya's sister or cousin, right?

"To explain, Ser Elijah. This once belonged to my brother Lawrence's son, Ser Hugo. He was a royal knight, who excelled in swordsmanship and wind magic. This plate is built to accent spiritual power and be tough at the same time."

"A... a magnificent gift. But... why?" I ask.

"You are not an especially popular man among the noble circles. The king is limited by their watch and cannot offer aid much. But such restrictions do not apply to me."

He pauses, blinks and then stares directly into my eyes.

"And I am trusting you to protect my granddaughter."

Ah, man... I can't not accept something like that...

16. eharper256

Reading List:
    Link
    CHAPTER 48
    A NEW MAN

Rishya seemed rather frustrated, and was puffing out her cheeks whilst giving me a death glare.

I had been forcibly dressed by the manor maids in a new tunic with studded leather shins and bracers along with the breastplate and a nice dark green cloak. The whole setup felt surprisingly weightless, and the fabric was pretty exquisite. It felt like velvet or something equally comfortable. And it had alot of nice pockets sewn in too. Practical, comfortable and mildly protective.

"Hehe... um... you really look like a mage mercenary now, Nii." Kiku complimented my new look, smiling with a nod.

Kaede was looking away, and Aria had her arms crossed, nodding sagely as if to say 'I was right!'

I know they say 'the clothes make the man', but as someone who was often stuck in a business suit for work, I grew to resent that idea slightly. Nevertheless, being admired (mostly) like this does have its merits.

I bashfully put my hand behind my head. At least I'll look a bit less like a vagabond kidnapping a bunch of young girls. Probably...

We still have some time before the evening when we have to return to the castle, so I ask the girls if there is anything else we need to buy to fill up the rucksack.

"That will not be necessary." Rishya pronounces.

I notice that she has a tote bag to go with her new adventuring getup, which includes long stockings, a small skirt, a hat resembling a beret, tough leather boots and gauntlets, and a collared, segmented top with both a neck scarf and a flowing cloak. Her entire outfit is themed in matching navy blue with silver accents. I think she is well aware that dark blues look really nice on her. But there is a slightly weird thing... her top neatly accents her shapely chest, and then seems deliberately cut short, exposing her midriff.

"Wh-where are looking, you beast!?" She crosses her arms protectively over her chest.

"Didn't you deliberately choose the new styled cleric look to show off, Rishya? Didn't you actually ~want~ to show him? Hmmmmm?" Aria taunts her mercilessly with squinted eyes, and a hannya face, patting Rishya's shoulder with a clawed hand.

"A-absolutely not! I am purely conscious of being fashionable I'll have you know! Hmmph!" She denies, pulling away.

Kiku titters in O RLY mode.

"Oh... is that so?" Aria turns back to face me. "Well, onii-chan, she is a rich girl and a supporter. Carrying a void bag with the supplies is one of her jobs in a standard party."

Oh... it’s like a bag of holding then? Probably those mages with void spirit affinities make them? It seems a little 'all the eggs in one basket' to me to have the supporter be the supply chain as well as a healer, but I guess its allowing the others to be more mobile, right? More mobile... Wait a minute...

"So... Aria, you mean to say that had we gone to the school the first day, and found Rishya, I wouldn't have had to carry the luggage?" I smile.

She goes wide-eyed as she looks away. This girl...

"P-please forgive me" she says as she tries a cute 'tee-hee' pose.

I chop her on the head.

Sometime later, after we leave the manor and I thank Douglas profusely for all he's done, we are strolling towards the castle. Seria had left a message for us to arrive by the afternoon, saying her original 36 hours estimate had become 28 for some reason. I guess she recovered even quicker than expected. That was fine, arriving at the Sandy Shore Temple before dark was good.

It's hard not to notice the fact I am now getting looks from people. Being at the vanguard of four beautiful young ladies will do that.

We are let into the castle without incident, and Aria leads us down to the deep summoning chamber. Waiting outside the large doors is the ninja maid, Leanne, and Kako, Kiku's knight sister.

I feel it prudent to let Kiku say her goodbyes, and follow the others inside.

Much like before, the room is awash with energy, and floating motes of light. This time, for some reason, I become conscious of the fact that there are clearly arcs of electricity rolling off Seria's hands, and particles swirling around those zaps.

Are these thunder spirits? Does my harrowing allow me perception of them? Interesting.

I also notice that Smith and Jones are here as well, assisting in the magic. Haven't seen them since I arrived, but their grouchy old man look hasn't changed.

Kiku dashes into the chamber, and we all form a hex shape with Seria, now with one more than before.

This time, I'm not sure if an agreement had been made prior, but Kiku and Kaede shuffle up next to me and offer their hands bashfully. Aria's hand has already been snatched up by Rishya and she is puffing out her cheeks.

Well, no matter... dungeon crawl, here I come! I can't help but be excited even though real life is the most merciless kind of rogue-like game.

A snap noise resounds as Seria closes her eyes.

17. eharper256

Reading List:
    Link
    CHAPTER 49
    SANDY SHORE TEMPLE

The view distorts again, and the room twists as if seen through a row of prisms and strange fun-fair mirrors, before roaring aside as if squished in a press, being replaced by darkness and bright light that somehow exists together without a shadow, in a vortex.

Again, the girls all disappear, though as before, I can feel the subtle shape and warmth of Kiku and Kaede's hands despite not even being able to see myself and the others.

I don't know if I'll ever get used to this ley-gating business.

To be honest, it's actually different to before as well. I don't know if it’s my spiritual awakening, but it’s now like... like being in a nursery of young children as the only older one. If you don't know what that's like... well in a nutshell, it's just chaos. Squealing and shouting and overlapping cries and voices that roar like gale-force winds. Noise.

But despite that, there is the urge to let go of the hands linking mine, to just jump into the ether and play.

Like sirens songs; or dancing, beckoning fairies, there is a nagging feeling that all would be better if I just let go. But I resist, thinking of the girls, and this mission that I have foolishly decided to dedicate my life to.

"1-/ i5 83T!e,- H3r3? VVln>/ Iv0T h319 <5?"

I have no idea what you are saying. What are you, a spirit?

Before I can get an answer, though, the entire view snaps and warps again, taking on a very blue and orange mixture before settling into a clear picture of a lagoon with fairly sheer cliffs.

We splash down gently into the intensely turquoise water. It's only shin-deep, and almost stagnant.

This lagoon is basically part of an open air cavern that has doubtlessly accumulated minerals into its water over several years, becoming rich in... its copper that causes this type of colour, right?

The cliffs surrounding the water are orange, of an arid impression, and the heat increase is quite noticeable.

At the end of the lagoon, there is a beach of fine white sand leading to a cliff that has been chiselled to a flat wall, with a gaping entrance into darkness surrounded by an archway and pillars built of the reddish stone.

The stone pillars are split and cracked and one is lilting ever so slightly. Am I in an Indy film? It's not quite Petra, but...

"Uwah! This place is really pretty!" Exclaims Aria.

I nod. At least, it's a picturesque scene.

But not long is given for us to appreciate anything. There is a sudden shriek from the dark entrance ahead of us.

The girls immediately all adopt battle stances, and a formation instantly forms itself, as if planned, with Kiku and Aria going forwards, Rishya and Seria back-stepping, and Kaede crouching protectively next to me in the middle.

It's a blessing that everyone knows their role. Even though the back-liners are new. It reiterates to me how scary combat loli’s can be!

I squint at the entrance as another echoing howl emanates. As I do, the afternoon light dances with twenty shadows, and a horde of dashing corpses rips outside, falling over themselves as they leap into the water.

What the hell!? Fast zombies straight away? Where are the shamblers?

We have about fifteen seconds before they reach us. Seria starts chanting something.

"Wait!" I shout back to her. "We're also in the water!"

Seria suddenly realises her mistake, curses, and halts. Aria and Kiku brace for impact, and peek back to me concernedly. This is no time to hesitate. I'll use a vial!

Five seconds. It's lit!

I crouch and take on a pitchers stance, and let it go with a good chunk of power.

The fuse crackles in the air as it spins in slow motion.

It slams into a lurching zombie’s claw in the middle of the pack. That zombies arm is set alight in white flame.

Oh hell. That wasn't as powerful as I...

The zombie explodes. A massive roar, flash, and shockwave of fire erupts in the midst of the mob, nary twenty feet from us.

I shield my eyes just in time, but my ears still ring, and I stay standing with some difficulty as the bright blue tsunami of water crashes into our formation.

As the mist settles, and my hearing returns, I fall on my ass again with a splash.

"Holy Sendervil's mercy..." I hear from Aria, her mouth agape. Kiku spurts out water, and takes off her helm, letting rivulets of liquid run down her neck.

The still twitching limbs of several zombies float around us, spewing ichor amidst the lingering smell of burnt flesh.

An arm touches Rishya's leg and she squeals and leaps away, grabbing onto Seria. Seria begins to cackle.

"Fufufu... Boy... you never cease to amaze me."

Can I at least have the announcer shout 'M-M-M-Monster Kill-kill-kill!'.

Hahaha... no? no one?

18. eharper256

Reading List:
    Link
    CHAPTER 50
    CENSORED FOR YOUR CONVENIENCE

Aria spangs me on the head, making me swirly eyed, and I'm forced to be blindfolded for a short while. One thing I entirely didn't consider was the fact that a big blast in a shallow lagoon like that would cause a torrent of water from the shockwave... soaking my charges.

Although we don't have any girls dressed in white, it is undoubtedly an issue, especially for Aria and Kaede, in light clothing. Kiku was less affected in armour, Seria doesn't wear much anyway, and Rishya was mostly shielded behind me.

There is some squeezing of clothes and dripping. Even though I'm blindfolded, it's still pretty appealing to the imagination.

"He is grinning rather maliciously. Can't you just put his head in a bag, Aria?" Rishya says something scary.

Oops, something must gave shown on my face. I correct my wayward facial muscles.

Fortunately, it’s only a few minutes overall. There is a pleasant heat and reasonable breeze in the lagoon, after all, which is likely helping out.

My eyes are released from captivity and I squint at the bright light. As this occurs, Seria is leaned forwards towards me, as if inspecting me, giving me a wry expression.

"Ufufufu, you don't do half measures, do you, boy?" She cackles. "Well... doubtlessly you did save us some considerable effort, though do be cautious with those things of yours in the future. You don't want to turn the princess and the swordgirl into a burnt offering."

"Hehe... um... such is the sad life of the front-liner." Kiku chuckles at some odd joke to herself.

Aria just rolls her eyes.

"I am repenting. I honestly didn't expect that output..."

I actually didn't. The explosion was enough to make me nearly wet myself... the flame blaze of the Molotov had nothing on white powder and nitro-glycerine’s wallop. One kind of forgets that all those explosions you see in movies are nearly always just fireballs made by petrol. A real explosive comes with a concussive shockwave and flash enough to render you gobsmacked.

Perhaps I need to seriously review my delivery method? Even with my somewhat increased athleticism, it's going to be harrowing to deliver these things by hand, as it's not like I'm some famous baseball pitcher.

I become aware that Aria and Kaede have changed clothes entirely. I wonder when they went shopping, because Aria has switched to a black top and green skirt, and Kaede has a red cheongsam type affair now.

"Should we go inside, then?" I say with trepidation. The grand entrance awaits.

"True, we should." Seria states, flipping a twin-tail.

The group sloshes through the calm, azure water, trying the avoid the limbs of zombies.

A half burnt head floats past me menacingly. I feel a little bit sick watching it ooze black ichor into the pure blue water. It's rotted white eye stares at me like an accusation.

Yes, I did this.

I freeze for a moment, quivering slightly, prompting some quizzical stares. I cannot suppress a dry heave as I stare at the bobbing head.

Before I can panic any further, though, Aria stabs her spear into the ground with a splosh, steps over to me, and embraces me without hesitation, breaking my eye contact with it.

"There, there. It's ok, Onii-chan." She states, rubbing my back. It's ironic this is happening. I'm such a hypocrite.

But... she's warm. It's incredible how much the warm body of girl you adore in your embrace can help settle wild emotions. She is doubtlessly repaying me for the tower, but since we became a little bit intimate this morning, it's like a whole different experience.

"I am not a monster" I recite to myself. I compose myself. Aria pushes herself off me.

"Actually, I don't know about that..." She blushes furiously and looks away, patting her skirt urgently.

Oh shit... I couldn't control little Elijah at all just then, and it's pretty clear. I go wide eyed and apologise with an exaggerated bow and look around.

Kiku is in O RLY mode, and Rishya is giving me a look to indicate I am trash right now. Kaede has raised an eyebrow and Seria is chuckling into her hand.

"Perhaps not a monster, but certainly a lolicon pervert, ufufufu..." Seria cackles.

Well... I can't even try to refute it this time. How embarrassing...

----
    This one turned out shorter than expected... :confused: such is the problem with writing drafts on one's phone...
    Oh well... it still achieves the desired effect...

HOWEVER! 50 CHAPTERS!!! WHEE!!! :blobxd::blobxd::blobxd:

19. eharper256

Reading List:
    Link
    CHAPTER 51
    INTO THE SHADOWS

Sunlight is clear here, keeping this area well lit, but the same cannot be said of the temple's interior behind the imposing pillars. A narrow corridor reaches down into darkness. It's actually impressive the zombies came up two abreast.

"Um... what formation shall we use?" Kiku asks Aria.

"Kiku is the best tactician, so why don't you organise us?" I say.

"Uuuu... um... if you say so, Nii. D-did you want to go first, Aria? If the revenants charge again..."

"...They will land on my spear tip. Understood."

"Kaede. Will you go next to her? You can... throw around her?"

"...yes."

"In the middle, we need Rishya, then Nii, and Seria-sama. I will stand at the rear to protect us from ambushes."

"Sounds sensible. I don't need much space to direct a spell forwards, as long as the target can be seen." Seria agrees.

Rishya is giving me a death glare as we go into formation.

"I-if y-you do anything! I'll...! Hmmph!" She mumbles.

I feel a mild sense of danger.

"Don't worry, groping you from behind is not a priority right now..." I smirk.

She blushes and protects her chest as she back-steps with a shocked expression. This ojou is so easy sometimes.

"A-are you saying you find me repugnant! I...!"

Girls and their ability to misconstrue is without equal.

"On the contrary, I find you exceptionally cute, but I will restrain myself, mi'lady."

Her mouth gapes and her eyes are wide.

"So shameless!" She shouts, looking away. To her chagrin, Aria starts laughing, setting everyone else off. Even Kaede manages a snicker. Poor Rishya pouts and goes meek.

The expedition begins in earnest. Rishya has suspended floating wisp-like lights above us, allowing us to see ahead a dozen feet or so, and we reach a wider chamber after a while, which has an intersection left as well as straight on.

"There are boot-prints going inwards, recent, yes..." Kaede points out.

We stop and form a circle around her.

I didn't even notice the impressions in the dust layer, reminding me that Kaede's eyesight is astonishing.

"There are others here? Nee-chan said no royal guards were scheduled here a while..." Kiku informs us.

"It is not unusual for periodic mercenary parties to be here." Aria says.

"Likely... yes. A set of... three others. Two lighter, one heavier." Kaede agrees, crouched and inspecting the floor closely. Her gorgeous legs are on full display. She apparently becomes aware of my gaze, and looks at me quizzically, before giving a slight blush and standing up rapidly.

"Is it... Yuuzu?" Rishya mutters under her breath.

"Your cousin is here as well?!" Aria exclaims.

So Yuuzu was Rishya's cousin after all.

Rishya covers her mouth, grimaces, but then replies.

"I do not know. But she left the city as a new mercenary three months ago. Assuming nothing untoward..."

"...a regular training programme would bring her here at this time. Un..." Kiku finishes.

"Is there a set training menu, then?" I question, looking back at Kiku. Her eyes goggle and she face-palms with a clank.

"Fucking hell Nii! Did you forget the first route I told you? The Fire Sage is not that far from here." Rowdy Kiku appears from hibernation.

"Oh right... sorry... this is the path that would have taken a few months...? We sure jumped ahead..." I apologise.

"Ufufufu... it is understandable the boy is disoriented by Leygating. It is difficult to relate to such instant transportation." Seria slaps my back jovially.

"It ~is~ weird that we ended up in the warmer south-west so quickly. It makes me nostalgic. Perhaps we'll visit Hal-Castemour's harbour at some point... Ah... that is a big southern city of Jeraldine, Elijah." Aria states.

"Oho? It has developed from a few fishing shacks whilst I wasn't looking then..." Seria guffaws.

Aria, Rishya and Kiku look incredulous and gape, making Seria flick a twin-tail and look away. They continue to be forgetful about Seria's age.

"Hmmph... I see my knowledge is lacking in this area. That may have been from... hmm... around... oh... hehe... perhaps... one hundred and eighty years ago? Ahaha... hehe..."

An embarrassed Seria is a new thing entirely! I don't dislike it.

"You're as much a fish out of water as me, sometimes, Seria. It makes me glad." I grin.

"Uuuu... there are things you should not say to a learned sage, boy!" she stamps her foot and puffs her cheeks.

That kind of gesture really makes her seem her visual age.

The other girls laugh as she pouts.

Unfortunately, we are interrupted by a vicious distant echoing scream from the left. It makes my ears hurt and is pretty scary. Merriment ends immediately, and the girls professionally reform formation.

I wonder what's coming this time.

20. eharper256

Reading List:
    Link
    CHAPTER 52
    SHE’S A SCREAM AT PARTIES

"Could that be a wraith!? Fucking bullshit!" Rowdy Kiku exclaims.

"Calm down, swords-girl. There is but one, and you have magical assistance. An ethereal form means little to spirits." Seria speaks in a level tone.

A wraith, huh? Yes, those are ghost things. With that scream, I wonder just what it suffered in life...

"I'll protect A... Let me do it." Rishya shouts.

"Very well. Do hurry." Seria states, giving a wry smile.

Rishya doesn't reply, but holds her staff forwards and starts chanting under her breath. The glowing wisps hovering above us all rapidly shoot down towards her, passing right by my head.

These are light spirits, right? They swirl around her, and the ambient heat and brightness rises quite rapidly. Another vile scream echoes as Aria and Kaede step out of her way and come behind me.

Rishya has a grimace and is shaking slightly as magic circles form around her staff. A point of blinding light begins to gather there, illuminating the whole intersection in harsh, dancing light. She's literally firin' her laser...

The wraith appears. It is pretty damn hideous. Swirling blue and wispy. Translucent and floating. But it is clear that what should be the ghost’s naked 'body' takes the appearance of melted and rotting flesh. It may have been a woman at one point, but it is lacking feet. And eyes. And most of a face. One oversized claw stretches forwards as it floats casually towards us. Its fanged mouth drips ectoplasm as it opens to scream again.

Rishya stumbles back slightly, quivering. Her magic circle starts to fray at the edges, her spirits distracted by her lapse in concentration.

It might be presumptuous, but I place a comforting hand on her shoulder and squeeze lightly. She shakes her head and the circle renews itself with even greater brightness, and with a surge of heat, a massive searing white beam blasts outwards and engulfs the ghost.

The scream it produces ratchets up several notches to a seriously unholy racket. But then it abruptly stops, and shortly after, the laser flickers and dies as well. A small puddle is the only evidence it ever existed, as the heat and light disperse. We are briefly cast in darkness until Kiku lights a torch from somewhere.

Rishya staggers back, sweat on her brow, breathing heavily. Aria grabs onto her in concern.

"Rish! Are you ok?" Aria exclaims.

"D-did I kill it?" Rishya wonders.

"You did. It was a clean job." I say.

She looks relieved.

"I see. I'm glad." She says.

Then she suddenly appears to realise her mask has slipped.

"I-I mean... as expected! B-brilliant. Yes... such perfection!"

Aria chuckles at her as she shrugs dramatically, and me and the others do the same. I pat her on the shoulder again as congratulations.

She jumps like her beret caught fire and slaps away my hand.

"W-where you do you think you're touching!!" She squeaks, spinning and giving me a look of fury.

Aria taps her other shoulder with an internet troll face, making her yelp again.

"The same place he did just a moment ago." Aria grins. She really has been learning bullying techniques from me.

"ARIAAAAAAA!!!" Rishya cries, her eyes darting back and forth as a blush develops...

Seria and O RLY Kiku cackle together like a pair of old women. One of them ~is~ technically an old woman, but perhaps this is why Seria seems to like Kiku. They find the same things entertaining.

Kaede actually sighs and face-palms, as if to say 'who the hell are these twits...', but that in itself is a crazy increase in emotional content for our resident doll.

Unlike before, I don't think anyone can be sick about dispatching the Wraith. It is clearly otherworldly.

'Level-up! 3 skill points awarded' echoes in my ears.

Huh... perhaps being relaxed here was enough to finally credit the zombies to my XP account. Or is grasping Rishya's shoulder to calm her considered an assist? Well, regardless, good to know this expedition is already bearing fruit.

Serious XP farming, here I come!