Rant... About isekai Jap creating food...

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by LysUltima, Sep 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AIm21

AIm21 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    In which way? the broken health care? the military and gun culture? their nationalism? Trump? or all of the above?

2. Rosver

Rosver Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Uh... Many of the spices that we have have been used even before the time of Christ. The problem is that, they are really expensive, like, only the incredibly rich could buy them.

And actually, in ancient times, the food (for regular populace) are really bland... unless your really wealthy. As I said, spices are incredibly expensive. Salt and sugar are also really expensive. They are so expensive that wars are waged because of them.

Food is really really poor, like the breads are unleavened (leavened breads are not that popular yet), and they are not wheat, but rye and barley or other "poorer" grains (wheat is expensive). You rarely get fresh ingredients (they spoil quick), and you commonly got those dried or preserved ones.

The misconception here though is how medieval culture is portrayed in media especially cartoons and movies. Historical inaccuracy is a standard when it comes to such things. Really, a lot of the foods (like those modern looking cakes) seen in these "medieval" stories are an impossibility. Heck, they don't even use plates when they eat.

However, in these fantasy settings, they do have magic which would have made many problems with food like spoiling, less of a concern. Still, they would still be really expensive.

So, while there are really good tasting foods in medieval periods, they would be only available to the wealthy, and only in special occasions, and compared to more modern menu, are really primitive.

So, in a way, modern foods would be amazing to a regular medieval populace. Heck even to the upper classes.

3. LysUltima

LysUltima Riichi! Tsumo! Toitoi! Suuankou!?

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, that's problems with the world building; our MC would never be able to get fine ingredients.
    Celebrities, belibers, etc
    You get the idea

readerz likes this.
  4. Rosver

Rosver Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, they actually can, they just need a huge amount of resources like money. As I said, these ingredients like spices has existed even before biblical times. They are just difficult and expensive to acquire.

readerz likes this.
  5. LysUltima

LysUltima Riichi! Tsumo! Toitoi! Suuankou!?

Reading List:
    Link
    And where would our MC get this money?
    Is he willing to spend it?

6. AIm21

AIm21 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I see... well, anyway, I think I know one ingredient a Japanese author could use to make delicious meal to the populace in a medieval fantasy setting with minimum help and ingredients for it to work.

The potato.

The worthless plant that not even dogs would eat.

Watch this video and you would understand.

Oh don't mind the 'don't watch this video title'.

Also they could even go looking lobsters and octopus, because before the modern era, the lobsters and octopus are not really food one would eat in that time period when the church ran the show.

readerz likes this.
  7. Rosver

Rosver Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well... aren't these MC's given a lot of wealth? I mean, what I have read so far that have these kinds of MC show them to be OP and receives gold left and right. They are even friends with kings and queens and other powerful people.

And these MC's are obsessed about good food that they are portrayed to spend lots of gold for the needed ingredients.

8. Yukkuri Oniisan

Yukkuri Oniisan 『Procrastinator Archwizard Translator and Writer』

Reading List:
    Link
    Umm... 3 pages and still no answer.
    Can anyone tell me... What series this curry problem came from?

9. NekoMK2

NekoMK2 Lazy cat, [self proclaimed GM_Rusaku Disciples]

Reading List:
    Link
    may I laugh at this ? or I must feel sad no one answers yukkurin san and OP just keeping counter argument only to keep his "rant" is the right one ?

Clozdark and kenar like this.
  10. kenar

kenar ヽ(`・ω・´)ゝ

Reading List:
    Link
    asked three times but still didn't get the answer.

*press F to pay reapect*

King0Mik likes this.
  11. mir

mir Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    *nods* I've tried to make curry from scratch. Can be annoying.

Lots of recipes say 'now throw in your favorite blend of curry spices!' wait what's curry spices? *googles* "curry spices = a mix of spices" well that answered a lot. /s
    *googles again* 'how to make curry spice mix'. 10 or so spices I've never heard of are listed. Wtf is this? wtf is that?
    After much learning, very simple recipe on how to throw together a curry spice mix has been aquired! *item pick up jingle plays*
    Now just to buy the ingredients!
    *visits store 1* Ok, can't find.
    *visits store 2* Found spices! Progress: 2/8.
    *visits store 3*
    *visits store 4*
    *Mission Failed*
    *Goes to store 1 and buys a premade curry block while crying internally*
    edit:
    Always feels odd when you have poor and/or middle class people regularly putting spoonfuls of sugar into their daily tea in some of these stories, while remembering learning in history class how some people would spend a fortune for a tiny bag of the stuff.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
    readerz likes this.
  12. Rosver

Rosver Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You are not in India. These spices are not popular in the West.

Always expect any "medieval" setting to be incredibly inaccurate.

mir likes this.
  13. mir

mir Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I had believed that my area was diverse enough to have it...
    I even went and checked out the Indian/middle eastern ethnic grocery store, but I didn't understand what the products were because the names were all different from what I expected, so... :blobpensive:
    Maybe I should research more and try again....:blobReach:

readerz likes this.
  14. jlkc

jlkc Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Things fall apart pretty quickly in most fantasy novels when questioning things like climate, ecosystem and economy. Creating a logical world is too much work.

15. Mizura

Mizura Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    kenar and readerz like this.
  16. akki

akki [Ani's C☕ffee-mate #3] [Shady Merchant]

Reading List:
    Link
    I wouldn't be able to make curry straight away. But I've seen enough to get it right after a few tries I think. And Pizza is not that hard to make at all.

17. Ryuukage

Ryuukage [Professional Lurker][Loli Head Patter][Lazy Fox]

Reading List:
    Link
  18. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    Probably some of that is skewed toward what you eat normally at home vs going out. For example, I have food at home which is pretty good imo. But when I go out, I look for other nationality food since it's not common to find at home. (Though in the end I am disappointed cause most restaurant food is worse than the food at home)... yes the downside of having really good food at home is that when you go out, you get excited about eating all kinds of different stuff only to end up disappointed...

Of course most people have average food at their disposal so going out yields better results.

19. Blitz

Blitz ⛈️ awakened from the reverie❄️

Reading List:
    Link
    Next time you check NU you'll see "I've been reincarnated as a curry bowl in another world. The easy going life of the worlds strongest dish~~"

20. Mizura

Mizura Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Certainly, there's the matter of home-made food vs eating out. It's not a stretch to assume that many people are bad at cooking though, so even their home cooking might taste awful, especially if they're poor medieval folks with a lack of access to good ingredients. :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.