Recommendations NON-magical, industrial revolution

Discussion in 'I'm Looking For...' started by nikomaru, Sep 13, 2017.

1. nikomaru

nikomaru 「Will of the Newtype」「NullPointerException」

Reading List:
    Link
  2. juniorjawz

juniorjawz Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Just watch History Channel or something

Fones2411, SirPinha and kylokram25 like this.
  3. kylokram25

kylokram25 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    *watching thread

4. SirPinha

SirPinha #Vaporwave

Reading List:
    Link
    Thats was very salty!

5. Kaminomikan

Kaminomikan 神のみ感

Reading List:
    Link
    but History isn't about aliens?

ultragunner likes this.
  6. Ignus

Ignus Philosopher of Flames

Reading List:
    Link
    Watch Ancient Aliens on the History Channel

7. 13th Echelon

13th Echelon Piping Hot Member

Reading List:
    Link
  8. Robbini

Robbini Logical? Illogical? Random? Or Just Unique?

Reading List:
    Link
    I Have a Mansion in the Post-apocalyptic World

I mean, he's bringing future tech back and changing the current, if that's not an industrial revolution, what is?

It's not necessarily purely industrial, but MC's designs / blueprints way past the currently translated chapters are enough for a military industry revolution by how ground-breaking they are, I guess.

13th Echelon likes this.
  9. juniorjawz

juniorjawz Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Salty? Me?
    *licks myself*
    Hmm, taste empty. But one sec...

:blobsalt::blobsalt::blobsalt:
    Ah yes, now I'm feeling salty. :cookie:

10. nikomaru

Reading List:
    Link
    non-magical please, like two novel listed above, MC only using pure scientific knowledge

11. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'd recommend 回到明朝当王爷 and 步步生莲, both by Yue Guan. Both of them are authentic historical novels taking place in circa 1500 and 970 respectively, so there's nothing fanciful like steam power or flight or anything like that. Instead, they are more about taking the technological elements that were already in place and bringing them together or improving on them. They're both amazing books.

nikomaru likes this.
  12. nikomaru

Reading List:
    Link
    many tanks :D

13. S4TY4

S4TY4 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Maybe something like:
    Common Sense of a Duke Daughter (I've dropped it, but I remember something like starting a trading company w/ chocolate)
    Ascendance of a Bookworm (MC tried various ways to create paper. Currently has introduce shampoo, pancakes & hairpin)
    Parallel World Pharmacy (ok, MC's OP & got magic, but he also introduce modern medicines for tuberculosis & bubonic plague, "invented" microscope & using quarantine method when dealing w/ bio attack)

If you don't mind manga:
    Jin (MC's a neuro surgeon, traveled back in time to Meiji era, introducing modern ways of medicine (ie: penicillin, resucitation devices, patient's priority tags))

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
    glasses_tanggu likes this.
  14. Raneday

Raneday Not Rane

Reading List:
    Link
    Chronicles of The Hardships of Komachi in The Sengoku Era
    Common Sense of a Duke's Daughter

15. Agecaf

Agecaf Grand Archmathemagician

Reading List:
    Link
    I second Ascendance of a Bookworm. While it is implied there is magic, the MC isn't even aware it exists in the +50 chapters translated so far. Her main goal is the production of paper, which is already present in their world, but at a parchment level where it is too expensive for common people. Her goal is to make it cheap enough for herself (initially a girl from a humble family). This could bring forward the creation of the press, and she might just go all out and industrialize the production of paper to make it cheap enough, though this is merely speculation on my part.

16. nikomaru

Reading List:
    Link
    at the end, it's all about magic research

17. Agecaf

Agecaf Grand Archmathemagician

Reading List:
    Link
    And that's what I'm excited for : D
    To be fair, I find this question interesting, but most of the novels I know of are in fantasy settings, and sometimes with technology appearing/already there.

Earlier this summer we visited my cousin who's studying in Germany. While visiting there, I had the opportunity of visiting the museum of the Ruhr over there. I had just known about it from Civ 6; it's one of the wonders.

The museum is amazing. It explains the whole story, from beginning to end, of only a small region, but one which was in the spotlight during the industrial revolution. It has a relatively straightforward history (there be romans, then lots of small kingdoms, the archbishop apparently was like a local noble, the printing press was brought in), and then there's a floor just for the industrial revolution.

It begins because there's like an iron mine. And there's also coal nearby. And people start wanting steel. But steel needs coal to be produced. So they use steel to improve the coal mines. And guilds were removed. Some nobles started making companies. Someone has the brilliant idea to steal the idea of the Brits and use steam engines in mines. Then they want to make trains. But they need steel and coal. Also they make huge bridges with steel. They also somehow make coal better (the museum is in a place where they made coal better). They needed lots of people so migrants came in. They made lots of similar houses next to each other for them. Also kiosks so they'd have places to drink. Then it became better. They realised there's like a stupid amount of coal beneath a certain layer. They now also use machines to mine. Apparently people think pigeons are an ok pet. More industries pop up (chemical, etc). Then the 1st world war comes. This place is the heart of military production. Then 1st world war ends. This place is the heart of the economic recovery. The workers make unions, and communism is a thing. Then the 2nd world war comes. This place is the heart of military production. Then the 2nd world war ends. This place is the heart of economic recovery.

Then the coal crisis hits. Hard. Coal mines shut down. Now china's coal is cheaper to import, and people start worrying about contamination.

Then the steel crisis hits. Hard. Steel forgeries shut down. Now china's steel is cheaper to import.

Then... the whole place sort of loses its glory. It is replaced by the other juggernauts of German industry; Munich, Frankfurt, etc.

And nature starts growing up in old deposits of unused rock, and mining sites acquire an eerie beauty.

Of a moment of glory, that lasted too short.

18. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm just trying to spread the word! There's no magic involved in any of the technology, just cool things like figuring out why Portuguese artillery has a higher rate of fire and replicating it or issuing patents to stimulate technological progress. What's even more neat is that the protagonists aren't engineers or anything like that, so while they can come up with basic ideas, they leave it to the actual experts to execute on them.

By the way, have you finished reading "the Great Tang Idyll" yet? It's on my list to read, but that list is so long it might be a full year before I can get to it.

There may not be all that many in Korean or Japanese, but there should be quite a few Chinese novels that don't use fantasy. Unfortunately, they're mostly going to be historical novels and those tend to not get translated. I wish that I read more of these books so I could recommend some. Or in other words, I'd love to see what other titles are out there, especially Chinese raws.

19. RussianPanda

RussianPanda Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Release that with isthe best of industrialization.

20. nikomaru

Reading List:
    Link
    no-magic please, and Great Tang Idyll is better than RTW
    RTW become super boring after Roland get his witch power