Discussion So you're talking about my book, huh?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Wildly_Laughing, Sep 13, 2017.

1. ahoppy

ahoppy Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Don't argue with the teacher in fact keep your mouth shut as much as possible because as the author you're emotionally invested try to laugh on the inside and remember the teacher may not always be right but they are in charge. Try tricks like seeing what their analysis says about them(but try to keep an open mind.)

2. godlight500

godlight500 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Maybe the teacher choose a crap book to be analyzed and he saw your analysis saying thinks like that the book have some use besides being burned to keep you warm but it actually is not something you can read without tanking 3d6 permanent damage in INT and WIS.

3. mir

mir Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Same, that's what I would do, for the same reason: info collecting.
    Though I wouldn't be able to help smiling at the whole situation with the teacher being so sure of their analysis when it's wrong.

Robinhood1 and Tramsloof like this.
  4. Tramsloof

Tramsloof Quarter Erudite

Reading List:
    Link
    You laugh at your teacher in your mind. And take satisfaction from it.

5. Jasad

Jasad ...not oldschool, just old...

Reading List:
    Link
    make a better book, that sold billion, than smash him in the head with the book

6. KickInator

KickInator I am Indian bc

Reading List:
    Link
    Obliquely mention this incident in your next chapter update.

7. otaku31

otaku31 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Modern criticism finds no merit in only trying to guess the author's intentions. It focuses on how a book is analyzed by a reader/ reading community, using his/their preconceptions as the base. So, the same book can have many valid analyses, as long as said analysis is supported by a convincing/logical argument. As long as your analysis has merit, the teacher cannot call it wrong, even if it may not be along his line of thinking. Similarly, your teacher's analysis may not be incorrect, just different from the author's.

8. NiQuinn

NiQuinn 『Optimistic Pragmatist』

Reading List:
    Link
    Not really care. I would probably be fascinated instead and ask him what he thinks about it. I personally think each person would have a different experience with a book depending on how their lives have played out. As to the fact that he's being a bigot, then that's on him.

otaku31 likes this.
  9. Yukkuri Oniisan

Yukkuri Oniisan 『Procrastinator Archwizard Translator and Writer』

Reading List:
    Link
    Don't mind it...... Since basically, every individual might have their own interpretation of the book that could differ from what the author thinks it was.

Tolkien might say that his book is about the struggle of insignificant one (hobbit) to play a huge part in the grand schemes of the world, reader A might see it as an allegory of World War 1, reader B might judge it as a conservative fiction of glorifying old regime, reader C might read it as an eternal conflict of bad and good, reader D might read it as nice fantasy but with huge plothole, reader R might read it as an excuse plot to put constructed language.

So yeah... Unless the teacher has the same way of seeing things with you, she might arrive at different conclusions than you.

AliceShiki, Sakuratea and Kanana like this.
  10. fuzor100

fuzor100 Standby mode...

Reading List:
    Link
    Just take it as criticism because as author, it's impossible for us to create a book that can make everyone loved our book. There will be people who loved it and so does people who hated it.

11. akki

akki [Ani's C☕ffee-mate #3] [Shady Merchant]

Reading List:
    Link
    Do nothing out of the ordinary~ question his mocking with a counter argument

12. Pyoo

Pyoo ☀ Summer Melody ☀

Reading List:
    Link
    @brasca123 remind me to put this in moshostowri~!

13. MasterCuddler

MasterCuddler Handsome Chicken

Reading List:
    Link
    Do not reveal urself! u know how stories always get far? Becuz the mc never reveals themself! Only the small fry expose themselves and feel proud of it! Don't be a small fry! Be the mc!

14. chucke

chucke Going towards the glorious future

Reading List:
    Link
    I would be fascinated due to reason that my book could be analyzed that way:blobsmilehappyeyes: Don't allow Freud to read your book - he will tell you about your inner sexual frustration :ROFLMAO:

And what is the definition of mocking? Sometimes I think that nowadays any criticism is considered mocking:hmm:

15. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmmmm, I would probably see it as an interesting thing, seeing what people thought of my book and all.
    *gives a reminder before I forget about it as well*

16. Ai chan

Ai chan Queen of Yuri, Devourer of Traps, Thrusted Witch

Reading List:
    Link
    Give him a signed copy of the sequel with the words. "You were saying?" or "You overanalyzed my book."

17. Wildly_Laughing

Wildly_Laughing Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Haha, wow I love all these responses! Can't believe there are so many different ways that people would react to this

18. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You'd be completely out of luck. I recall a story that Isaac Asimov used to tell about attending a lecture where the meaning of one of his stories was being discussed. He disagreed with the lecturer's interpretation, and claimed that he'd know because he was the writer. The lecturer replied along the lines of, "Just because you wrote it doesn't mean that you know what it means!" And he's pretty much right unless you vehemently disagree with the idea of the Death of the Author.

For more Asimov, apparently he was inspired by that incident to write the Immortal Bard, where Shakespeare is brought to the present to attend a class on his own works.