Discussion Are chinese novels losing their steam?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Lyase, Sep 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sopapeador

Sopapeador Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    For me is simple there are many Chinese novels compared to before and which are not even a quarter translated adding that they have more than a thousand chapters each.
    Adding that the translator are not machines and they translate 1 or 2 chapters per day and obly the cliches over exploited in many novels which begin to annoy the reader (ie one or two novels do not get tire but more than half of them yes).
    But i dont say the chinese novels lose strength or are bads(all have exeptions) its more like they lose the fad that have in the past and are a lot of novels they already bored for example "Martial God Asura" have more than 3000 ch and the history have a repetetive circle its a good novel but its very long for the plot that have.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
  2. Mildlyvenomous

Mildlyvenomous Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    One of the main reasons for less and less comments in the subreddit is because of patreon, where people get access to chapters earlier. A lot of the people who comment often have already read ahead, I mean you're a lot less likely to comment on something you read a week ago.

CN novels are still very popular despite of the subreddits comment section being more empty than before.

3. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Basing the quality of a country's literature on Reddit upvotes is a terrible idea to begin with, and thinking that the books being translated are equivalent to China's output might be even worse. All you need to do to get newness out of Chinese web novels is to start translating different kinds of books. There are literally millions out there that haven't been touched, and these will encompass tons of genres that are effectively absent on NU (and Reddit). I've been reading Chinese web novels extensively since the end of May, and I barely even recognize the complaints that are leveled at them in general because I've been reading different stuff.

Nimroth likes this.
  4. Yemallis

Yemallis Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Might have something to do with QI taking a good deal of popular novels and QI is banned from r/noveltranslations because of the dual hosting WW thing.

5. sushicracker

sushicracker Member

Reading List:
    Link
    To be honest I do get bored of so much same plot in xianxia/xuanhuan novel.
    But again, there are really good novels out there, whether it's CN/KR/JP doesn't really matter.
    I think the problem is too much CN novels have been translated these days, and some novels to be honest is quite bad.

6. Asf

Asf 《《The aria of souls》》

Reading List:
    Link
    It was fun the first few months..
    Especially because chinese translator have a speed that is unlike any others. Because of its incentives.
    But theres too many novels that copy each others... I understand why they did those tho.. since it involves money, and most of the all time high ranking of chinese web novel in china are those kinds of novel...
    Maybe its good for those that just started out, or the ones that wants similar type of novel as if they havent had enough of those stuff..
    But I personally began to grow bored of em somewhat..
    And then, theres QI that monopolizes the market and killing every other translator that isnt their own.
    There are some nice novels from SFACG that I currently follow tho.. but those arent the same type of novel as those xianxia-like novel I had enough of..
    Korean novel are okay, since theyre somewhat new in the pool... but I bet even those will be boring in another half a year or so.. yknow, like almost everything seems to be a 2nd chance rewind time novel..

7. Emy.

Emy. Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The time for KR to shine is soon here .... Then KR will drop down as well and JP and as well as soon to drop CN . Everything got overused and people want something new :/ can't blame them because i'm in this category as well

8. SilverFeather

SilverFeather [Seeker of Yuri]•[Likes tomboys]

Reading List:
    Link
    One must dig kinda deep to find something good, be it Chinese, Japanese or Korean... same with american and european novels...

9. Chance

Chance Observer

Reading List:
    Link
    Dropped most of the CN novels because of this issue. Too repetitive.
    If you have read one cultivation novel, you've read 90% of them. Stories are too long and this exacerbates the previous issue. Biggest culprit is true martial world. Few unique novels I've like are dropped. The dark king and Conquest.

Most of the KR novels are written realistically or in a way that you move along with the MC in an engrossing manner. Krs biggest issue is slow translations, except for turtle. Biggest culprit reincarnator.

Anyway CN novels need more stories like RTW, terror infinity, warlock, etc.
    Also we have plenty of great books you can get at the library, I find my self reading hp love craft and other American authors. And I notice, most novels are inferior in quality, only saving grace is a different type of story.

10. Sir Lefruere le Fru

Sir Lefruere le Fru Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes, they start to lose steam just like how JP novels lost in the past. Everything became too generic, too overused etc and probably KR novels will take up next and probably fall once again in time

11. Darkradox

Darkradox Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The main reason to me is that opposite to jp and cn novels, kr have an ending, and it's not in the 3xxx chapters

12. NZPIEFACE

NZPIEFACE Leecher

Reading List:
    Link
    No, you're just not reading them anymore.

13. rexzshadow

rexzshadow Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Not every single person had read a ton of novels to think its getting repetitive. If it was the first time you read any thing like it you won't think its repetitive.

Big problem lot of translators face. I mean with some novels at 2000+ chapter its unrealistic to expect a translator to read multiple novels of that length to pick something. Just simply takes way too much time (even than taste can vary) At most they look at the premise and read few hundred chapters in to gauge how it is and read some Chinese reviews.

14. OrderedChaos

OrderedChaos Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Lmao guys you're still at KR? Ive already come full circle and went to EN webs.

15. BingeGreatNovel

BingeGreatNovel Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well if you read the same novel genre it becomes repetitive.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.