Rant... About isekai Jap creating food...

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by LysUltima, Sep 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kenar

kenar ヽ(`・ω・´)ゝ

Reading List:
    Link
    woah, really? You are reading the wrong novel then

2. Rosver

Rosver Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hey! Have you read what is originally talked about?

And the culture is medieval.

There is a specific kinds of food and a specific culture. I also added some other foodstuff (like cake and candy) because these stories often also introduce those.

I thought you were talking about that. So what you mean was some unspecified culture and unspecified food? What is this culture you are talking about then? Korean? Eskimo? Native Americans? Ancient Greek? And what kind of food you are talking about? Icecream? Roasted pig? Dulce de Leche? Binignit?

Really, if you can, be specific. You can't just throw every culture and every food.

uh... A lot? Really, it is not hard especially when you talk about food. And you can read about those cultures.

Oh! You don't need to be exposed to culture. You need to be exposed to History!

Oh come on! Food has always exchanged between cultures by just being exposed to it... you know, people tend to copy and bring things from other culture. I mean, didn't you eat local foods and bring back souvenirs? What do you think people, especially ancient people do?

There are also immigrants. They bring their local culture to their new home.

Really, I will going to write a thick book if I talk about this. Just go read history books or use the internet.

Oh! My! God!

Just a simple internet search or a read from a history book will prove you wrong! Yes they are also used to make food last longer but they are not first introduced because of that! Where did you get this misinformation? Spices is mostly used to flavor food and as medicine.

What the HECK! Anthropologist doesn't simplify culture, they study it!

How can someone simplify culture in the first place? I mean, your an anthropologists... Then you go and simplify Chinese culture? They explain it in simple and easy terms?

And I hope you actually read the books or studies they published because you don't know what they are supposed to be doing.

3. ludagad

ludagad Addicted to escapist novels

Reading List:
    Link
    Lol, I've always laughed at how condescending this whole 'amazing people with cooking foreign dishes' is. In the very first place, if the person's palate isn't used to the foreign food, there's a high chance they would dislike it. I haven't grown up with curry, and the smell alone keeps me away from trying it. I refuse to eat it. Would hardly be amazed if an isekai shoved it in front of me... Authors tend to underestimate other cultures and their ability to develop suitable for the area and climate cuisine.

4. MrSplashy

MrSplashy Grey Knight

Reading List:
    Link
    I might be reading the wrong novel at that time. The only novels that I really like is Kuro no Maou, Densetsu no Yuusha no Densetsu, and Familiar of Zero(fucking nostalgia and a BD release is announced).

I have tasted a Curry when I was in Singapore and I really really liked it. The taste is close to our Minudo/Kaldareta.

ludagad likes this.
  5. readerz

readerz Madam Jin

Reading List:
    Link
    :cookie: I was just reading Dagashi Kashi and it mentioned that the Japanese didn't like to drink milk at first because it was gross. If you are not familiar with some food, you will tend not to like it. This is just normal since psychologically you are not prepared for strange tastes at first. With repeated tries then you might get to like something. I doubt that a non-cheese eating society, for example, would suddenly enjoy rotten-smelling cheese...

Also, note that many Asians, including the Japanese, are lactose intolerant.:blobpopcorn:

ludagad likes this.
  6. Iume

Iume New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    One of my favorites is when someone seemingly has quality sugar and I think of how honey used to be used in place of sugar as a sweetener. Even then it is expensive unless you know someone with access to a constructed beehive. Or, is beet sugar production widespread? Cane sugar? Beets had to bred for their sweetness as well and then refined. Hard, expensive refinement.

kenar likes this.
  7. Rosver

Rosver Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Wow... you are equating yourself, your lonesome, as "other cultures." Wow. Big ego there.

Uh... why do people make rather broad assumptions here. First, an individual does not make a "culture." Second, why would you trust something like a manga? Do you really believe it to be that credible? Third, there are other factors aside taste that makes a more important role to the adoption of certain foods, and that includes availability, cost, and compatibility with local dishes.

And why cheese? It is one of the most widespread and most varied food stuff. Using it as an example just ruins your credibility. And in the first place, cheese it also about preference. Even in cultures that loves cheese, there are who don't like it. There are varieties of cheese for variety of people and cultures. Also, you are talking only about people who are repelled by the smell and not repelled by the taste, one of it would not matter much if it is combined with other ingredients like how cheese is usually consumed.

8. readerz

readerz Madam Jin

Reading List:
    Link
    I was gonna answer seriously but I think that is trolling so I won't. Just use Google-sensei. BTW, 90% of the Japanese population is lactose intolerant. :ROFLMAO:

9. ludagad

ludagad Addicted to escapist novels

Reading List:
    Link
    It seems to me that you easily made a leap of logic. I shared my own opinion and my own experience, and said something that is generally known by businesses that open restaurants in various countries - they almost always adapt their food to the local tastes. I also have my own observations from living in different countries and having foreign friends who share their experience with me, and I shared that observation. Just because I didn't separate my points by a new line doesn't mean I equate them. Well, continue believing what you like and focusing on my ego instead of my words. Of course, there will be people who are more open to foreign cuisine and trying out food, but even they will pause at certain Icelandic or Swedish delicacies. Who's to say everyone will like curry (for example) in some fantasy land. And why are you so defensive in any case? Because I said the authors make me laugh with their looking down on other cultures? Let me have an opinion, will ya?

10. Emy.

Emy. Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    <_< read half of the thread until giving up trying to read that long ass wall of test ...

*claps for the tl;dr*

11. Yemallis

Yemallis Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well MC Hides His Strength does something right again. Love that novel.

The story has a game system and the MC has a chef profession which rates your dishes after you cook them, but it gives Korean cuisine a really low rating even though the MC is making god tier Korean food.

Not JP though I guess so maybe it doesn't count.

LysUltima likes this.
  12. SilverFeather

SilverFeather [Seeker of Yuri]•[Likes tomboys]

Reading List:
    Link
    I just turn my brain off to many of the cooking chapters, but desumachi's quest for pickles was kinda epic... I mean it took more chaps than facing a demon lord!

kenar and LysUltima like this.
  13. Sir Lefruere le Fru

Sir Lefruere le Fru Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's a fantasy novel... Nothing actually makes the least bit of sense and you pick food of everything so unrealistic?

kenar likes this.
  14. KnightN00

KnightN00 A single dog cultivator of LNMTL sect

Reading List:
    Link
    I wanna see the novel when the MC cook and other people call his food worst than junk. Slap it on the spot!

LysUltima likes this.
  15. LysUltima

LysUltima Riichi! Tsumo! Toitoi! Suuankou!?

Reading List:
    Link
    I feel that I might write that...

16. rexzshadow

rexzshadow Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I mean a lot of problem with these story including this all come from because author is lazy and its not about making sense but people enjoying the self insert fantasy.

Granted most Jap novel MC make me want to punch them in the face so can't insert myself coz I think majority of them are morons -.- Actually what piss me off more about the whole cooking thing is probably the retarded mentality of these MC. Like you got people who were way older before they came to the new world and their mentality is that of like a 5 year old...

17. Gitami

Gitami Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Tea by itself was pretty damn expensive in medieval European society so seeing them make tea meant they're people of means.

Also in medieval society all the way through renaissance people brought their own forks and knives. Well since it is silverware which has the poison testing qualities as well as its value, but poor people brought their own wooden ones.

And if you want to see how culture adapt to introduced food you can consider watching the documentary the search for General Gao. Chinese workers could only open clothes washer or restaurants their recipes were perceived as too foreign or too unsanitary as they were situated in cramped Chinese quarters, the menus were filled mostly with western dishes, something the locals can understand with a few simple Chinese dishes like chop suey, spicy Chinese dishes took decades for locals to accept. And if you told Americans to try sushi with the raw fish and rice in 1960 they'd tell you it sounds disgusting or unsanitary.

18. kobatochandaisuki

kobatochandaisuki Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    JP-Isekai mainstream "how to become rich/powerful and be called genius" items:
    1. "Modern era" food (pizza, rice, pasta, white bread, etc etc)
    2. Soap (every JP-isekai authors have a thing with soaps...they all must be fans of William Herrington aka Billy or Van Darkholme lol)
    3. OP musket + black gunpowder
    4. Magical refrigerator & fan (cuz this is one thing they simply can't invent with their knowledge of high schooler) (but if magic exist, why would people no invent magical cooler and such way before the MC?? Oh right, Jap Isekai.)
    5. Chess gameboard (dunno why this became popular)

19. LysUltima

LysUltima Riichi! Tsumo! Toitoi! Suuankou!?

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah. In a real isekai...

Need to rant some more in another thread that I'll create...

20. ohko

ohko 【LGBTQ+ association】 【ohko is ohko!】

Reading List:
    Link
    I also think that having a gas-powered stove is a modern feature.

There was a novel I was reading once where the MC had trouble cooking because she couldn't lower the heat to medium (which you do all the time when you're cooking), because well... it's hard to control an open fire. Furthermore, you can't grind things like flour to the same consistency that we have today, and there are so many more technical limitations to cooking.

Also, in the poor poor medieval times, things like salt and oil were precious.

So of course modern savory foods are going to taste good to somebody spends most days eating porridge and boiled potatoes.

Though really, it's anything that has enough fat is going to taste good, though most people couldn't afford to eat meat every day.

kenar and LysUltima like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.