Discussion WTA: Voting requests from a certain novel site

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Spiritsong, Sep 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spiritsong

Spiritsong Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hi. Before anyone accuses me of trying to stir a drama, I just want to ask a question, and raise a discussion.

Lately, for some reason(s), there are now threads popping in novelupdates forums, spesifically to ask to vote for certain novels in a certain novel website.

I'm fine with others exercising their rights and privileges because I'm sure like many others, some readers want to see novels that they like get picked up / have faster releases. That is normal.

However, one part of me doesn't understand, why on earth would it need to be promoted here?
    They have their forums. They have their readers. Granted historically certain segments in novelupdates forumers are upset with a certain 'establishment', and they have their own way of doing things.

But to endlessly promote voting in that forum, but via asking people here to go there to create an account there?

Like, seriously?

I don't speak for anyone else, but here's my personal experience.

I found out that by visiting that site, my data is mined. Via desktop, or via phone. IT doesn't matter.
    I found out that by visiting that site, I'm actually promoting the works of disgusting groups who will resort to violence, personal threats, etc who are unscrupulous that would use any means necessary to lay their hands on the translation (both them and their third party subcontractors who are hired to translate for them).
    I found out that the same establishment has done many, many bad things that leaves a bad taste to myself. I won't speak for others.

So I choose not to visit them, and I chose not to have anything (like accounts), etc, with them. Though some were already created before certain things happened, so I just left it as it is.

The thing is, I'm already being "nice" enough not to go around spamming in their sites how certain quarters there are bunch of assholes, thiefs, liars, gangsters, hoodlums, etc.

But now they're coming here asking for votes.

Is there any way, for me, at least to block such nausea-inducing "please vote at this website" threads from popping up in my threads in novelupdates forum?

And the bigger question, this is only the beginning. I don't see the end.

Maybe the admins can create a new subsection just for "vote at another site" and dump all these threads into that subsection, away from sight, and away from mind. However, I don't know what the admins will do. Because honestly, i'm here for novelupdates related content. I'm not here just to be fed information and requests from another website that I don't need, and I don't want.

If I need, or If I want, I would have registered there. NOT HERE just to talk about THERE.

Wing0, nexusmadao, Mangochic and 12 others like this.
  2. DesuDiem

DesuDiem Surviving College

Reading List:
    Link
    Which site?:blobpopcorn::blobpopcorn::blobpopcorn:. PS: there are new blobs:blobparty:

Notaborax, Shio, Kaminomi and 3 others like this.
  3. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    Have you tried going to their accounts and clicking the "ignore" link? that might work... maybe

AliceShiki and Wujigege like this.
  4. Aop

Aop [Great Destroyer of Filth] [Dao of Cleanliness]

Reading List:
    Link
    ...If you don't want to vote, then don't? I think I know what site you're talking about and that's what I did. And the world still turns fine.

EDIT: Nevermind, I completely misread the point of this post. Siiigh, should have read the wall of text a little better.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2017
  5. Pizz0011

Pizz0011 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yup, have to agree 100% with your comments, they do have their own forum, they can vote there for their own stuff, it's not needed here just to spam us. or your idea of a new subforum is very good as I don't need to know as I don't care and this backdoor stuff they do, just pisses me off more to hate them, maybe if they didn't do bs like this the hate level would drop a tad towards them , but they don't seem to think like that

Wing0 likes this.
  6. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    But the world does not revolve around you to be at your beck and call
    It is a forum, a public forum but privately owned and Tony decides what can be on here.
    Qidian is not off limits, you will have to live with that

Inversely, I can complain that the anti-Qidian threads are spamming me but that's just silly :whistle:

Pyoo, Night Ghost, Notaborax and 10 others like this.
  7. Spiritsong

Reading List:
    Link
    Splendid idea up until a certain point they start using new accounts here, and then by the end of the entire long process, I find myself alone in this space because I've blocked everyone who just mentioned "let's vote for this novel at that site".

That'll be an awkward self-isolation.

8. Noche

Noche New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    A simple solution is just to ignore it. Almost everyone here just wants to read asian novels for free. Some are willing to do whatever it takes to get their novel translated

9. Spiritsong

Reading List:
    Link
    Two differences

One, I don't need to go there, because I sure as hell won't.

They, on the other hand, need to come here for few things.

1) They need the publicity
    2) They need the votes (or else why come to such a place where people can be tempted to vote for certain novels?)
    3) I didn't disturb them, now they're coming to disturb me.

By ignoring, i'm allowing these pests to come do their pesky stuffs, and they'll think "yeah its fine because NOBODY spoke up".

Wing0, Mangochic and Kaminomi like this.
  10. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    The world does not work like you think.
    I find your thinking naive.
    Authors need readers. Publishers do not need readers.
    Novelupdates did not introduce me and many people to novels
    It was the animation and the movies/dramas.
    You overestimate the power of the forums here.
    I found out the hard way, a majority of readers do not use the forums
    Anyway, I advice that the energy that you use to champion in your cause against Qidian is directed at something more productive
    It is really pointless.
    I will stop replying myself
    Go volunteer or something
    Its better than this..

11. Pizz0011

Reading List:
    Link
    I was thinking the same thing as I don't want to block real accounts in the forums even if they do like that site as such as we may have other things in other forums in common like manga/anime or they have a pc problem etc

well they do have their own forum on that site so they could use it, i bet a good % of them don't bother to use it or are fake accounts here to get free backdoor advertising for that site if they want to advertise they could at least pay it to tony to help run this site

Kaminomi likes this.
  12. Spiritsong

Reading List:
    Link

Authors need readers. TRUE.

But is it to the point where its OKAY to barge into another lawn and say "COME TO MY PLACE TO VOTE"?

Businesses need customers.

But is it okay to the point they spam at other places?

You're saying i'm naive.

I'm saying you're the one naive for underestimating the consequences caused by spamming.
    Else, why in the internet, there would be spam blockers / filters?
    Else, why in the real GSM telecommunication world, there is such a thing as a "private number masking" feature?

Before you go white knighting on on a high horse with that holier than thou attitude, learn to step and thread on the ground with a practical foot.

But oh wait, what do I know with somebody who's never done that, claiming "you're naive"?

I wonder.

Kaminomi and wtfkjp like this.
  13. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    Well either you do it yourself or you deal with it, because others are not going to do it for you.

I think you misunderstand, they did not come to you. You both came to the same place and you just don't like them being here. But they have same right being here as you do.

These are not your forums, these are forums about asian novels and last I checked it qualifies just fine.

You are free to speak up as you wish though, but end of the day, there is nothing you can do about it. NU is not going to delve here because NU wants to be as neutral as possible for legal reasons.

Pyoo and lonelytree like this.
  14. Kanna Kamui

Kanna Kamui Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Qidian should change translators for 1 or 2 of their novels since they're very slow at translating . It just makes me hate qidian again .

Willheim likes this.
  15. Pizz0011

Reading List:
    Link
    @Wujigege you do make a good few points to balance this but one I do disagree with is the power of this site in some ways i found this site after being pointed towards it via a TL's site, so I then learnt about other ln's from jp/cn/kr etc so for a newer reader this site may well have more of an effects then you think I used the info bit for about 6mths before I, in fact, joined the forums and the same with magnaupdates site for me .. also in my reader group if anyone asks about stuff everyone in the fb group and we have 5k members in it points others here for info etc

Kaminomi likes this.
  16. SpiralGust

SpiralGust Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    But this isn't your lawn it's like going to a public park and saying vote

Kanna Kamui likes this.
  17. Noche

Noche New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Take it to the admins. If they arent doing anything it is within forum rules. Not everything can be according to your will.

18. AMissingLinguist

AMissingLinguist [Not Here][Blank Sect][Nuffian #N]

Reading List:
    Link
    :blobpopcorn::blobpopcorn::blobpopcorn:
    Though I don't like being pestered, I enjoy popcorn. If you're bothered by it, then pester them back. A better idea is to distance yourself. If you can't then you're stuck with a problem that you may not be able to solve.

fuzor100 and Kanna Kamui like this.
  19. ScipioM

ScipioM :D

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm sorry to say this but you do know this world is all about profit right?

Most people would care less about the opinions of others if they get what they want.

And you know what, you are doing what they want right now. To be known and you are helping them out right now by "advertising them".

Bad advertisement but still advertisement nonetheless.

20. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    The forum is not as impactful as the main site is my point
    Majority of the people who use the main site do not use the forums
    More people get referred to novels from watching anime and dramas
    I found out about wuxiaworld because of mydramalist I believe

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.