Adding Alternate Titles to 'Associate Names(AN)'?

Discussion in 'Novel Updates Site Discussion' started by raltzero, Sep 22, 2017.

?

Should adding Alternate Titles true to the Chinese characters to AN be allowed?

1. Yes

13 vote(s)
    52.0%
  2. No

12 vote(s)
    48.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. raltzero

raltzero Last Year Until BS in IT | Lazy Overlord TL

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm going to use one of the series I added an alternate title for.

The title that the translator uses is "Beastly Fēi that Go Against the Heaven: Coerced by the Huáng Shū". Translation is legitimate, but I felt that some English readers may not understand the title, though there are definitions in the synopsis(that I happened to clean up, sorry if this offends anyone). Thus, I added the title "Heaven-Defying Beastial Imperial Concubine: Seized By The Lecherous Emperor's Uncle".

canaria23 likes this.
  2. canaria23

canaria23 『  』

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah
    loNg ones, but they should put the english name next to the title like this : chinnese/japanese name - english equivalent

Ero manga sensei cannot be used for your reasoning because 1st ero is not a japanese word, 2nd manga is already a universal word used to describe a comic origination from japan, 3rd sensei is a title and a honorific which cannot be fully be translated without loosing its original meaning

3. Viola

Viola Studio Ghibli Fanboy Mother of Learning Fanboy

Reading List:
    Link
    The mods more right than you.

In the past you seemed to be going around saying that many titles translators have picked are wrong and are giving them the correct one.
    Here is your first problem.
    There are in general 2 types of translators, the ones that translate as accurately and literally as possible. Translating this way can sometime be a detriment to the novel or even title in this case.
    The other is the translator who will take certain liberties with the translation to make it more readable in the language they are translating to or just to make more sense for people of another culture.

I prefer the second type of translator but that is beside the point.

You stand in one of those camps (or another if you think there are more, makes no difference) and by going around changing names you are saying your way is the only way to translate and that your interpretations are correct.

Take A Will Eternal, it used be called A Thought Through Eternity. Both names were given by Deathblade. They were both his interpretations of the original chines title. Both are right. After speaking with the author he changed the title to AWE because he felt it more captured what the story was about.

Every translation is an interpretation of the original. I've seen the novels that were translated word for word not changing a single thing and they were a huge pain in the ass to read. Certain changes must be made for it to make sense in another language and for it to flow properly. Especially if you are translating from 1 language to another that share 0 commonalities. Both ways are correct though, neither are wrong. One is easy to read IMO but both are still right. This problem is even easier when it is just a title and not the whole novel. In that case both ways are even more equal.

Leave it to the group translating to pick the titles or any associate or alternate names.
    You are free to discuss your interpretation of it, no one is saying you can't but it isn't your project and the Mods were right for banning you since to get banned you would have had to ignore the warnings they gave you.

Not your project.
    Not your website.

All you have is an opinion on a valid interpretation of your own.
    You think yours is right, so does the person actually translating the story.
    You have no right to usurp their project in any manner which is what you were doing.

Discuss, recommend. But at the end of the day you should leave well enough alone. Just isn't your place.

AliceShiki and readerz like this.
  4. canaria23

canaria23 『  』

Reading List:
    Link
    I get you, when I 1st read the word fei I thouth it was fae as in mystical creatures. I was very disappointed affer reading.

5. raltzero

Reading List:
    Link
    I respect your opinion, but there are things I disagree on.
    1. In no way do I have I said, nor thought, that my way "is the only way to translate". Though, I do agree that my interpretations are correct. At least, I would like to believe so.
    2. In the terms of service, there is a clause stating that moderators do not need to give out a warning to the user.
    We reserve the right to monitor and review transmissions online and in storage, and to remove or reject any material, which we, at our sole discretion, believe may be unlawful or objectionable, without prior notice to User.
    I have not received such a warning because there is such a clause.
    3. "You have no right to usurp their project in any manner which is what you were doing." Using the terms of service, I have not done so. I do know that what I post is "correct".
    You agree not to post User Content that:
    • Contains any information or content that you know is not correct and current;

6. Viola

Viola Studio Ghibli Fanboy Mother of Learning Fanboy

Reading List:
    Link
    1. That was just my inference from your stated actions.

2. I did not know that. Good to know though.

3. What you posted may be correct but so is theirs (assuming they aren't deliberately trying to mistranslate) and it is their project.
    Feel free to discuss with them about your thoughts and maybe they will add it or even change it based on your recommendations. But it just isn't your place to change or add it for them. Again, it is their project, not yours.

I'm sure you wouldn't appreciate people adding to or changing the names of your projects. You should treat them and their projects in the same way you would like yours to be treated.

And if you are for some reason okay with people changing or adding to your projects title.... then I'll be back with some correct terms from various MTL services. :blobowoevil_horns::blobowoevil_horns::blobowoevil_horns:
    (JK, but it still illustrates my point.)

7. raltzero

Reading List:
    Link
    To be honest, I have a few other correct translations to the titles currently I'm translating(e.g. High Comprehension Low Strength could be 'Top Quality Cultivator with Low Strength'). It's just that I'm too lazy to add; it's more of a spontaneous thing. I will add it sometime in the future...

Also, it depends on what "correct terms" you're going to use. MTL services don't exactly qualify you as a translator. What does is that you're using your common sense to salvage the most "correct" translation. Though having some background in the respected field is nice, this is a 'fan' translation thing, so it's not required.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
    Viola likes this.
  8. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    There you have it, you already got your response, that's pretty much the whole deal, just talk to the translators in question next time instead of making a thread. *shrugs*
    Eh? Terms of Service? Don't try to base yourself on those that much, they're important and you shouldn't disrespect them, but you can't use those as a way of saying you didn't deserve to be banned, mods don't ban only those that disrespect the terms of service.

You have to remember that mods have no way of knowing if what you did was a real change or a troll change, they'll look at an unassociated person making changes to a part of a novel only a translator should be working in and... They can either leave it alone, or assume it's a troll messing around... 90% of the times it should be a troll, so they ban is normal to say the least.

If you do anything a mod has no way of knowing rather is legit or not, you're kinda asking to take a ban, be more careful in the future and you should avoid those issues.

9. raltzero

Reading List:
    Link
    It was a moderator's idea that I should make a thread for a matter like this. It's a pain in the ass if people have to contact multiple translators just for a simple alternate translation. Perhaps it is more apt to change the question from 'should people be able to add 'alternate translations' to the 'associated names' section', to 'should there be an 'alternate titles' section added to web pages of novels'.

As for using the terms of service, I was showing that I knew them; that moderators didn't need to give a warning before banning a person. One has to read the fine print in order to understand what the ToS means, though I do believe that there are only 2 things you can do in a forums and novels site; post things and edit things.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.