Cleaning up tags on NU V2.0

Discussion in 'Novel Updates Site Discussion' started by marine1corps, Jun 23, 2017.

1. willuwontu

willuwontu Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Why is R-18 JP only? I understand we have adult, smut, mature and other similar tags, but that only the JP translators are allowed to use it because it's a tag on Soyosetsu and they get to be special.

However this leads to issues when searching for novels, because if I want to search for some fun time one handed novels, I don't think of the adult tag because that can lead to extreme violence novels, or ones that have sex in them, but never describe anything but are still considered adult novel because of such, or novels that only have it happen once, instead I go for the R-18 tag because that's typically the style of novel I want.

This leads to it only showing JP novels, when i may want to check out some CN ones as well, such as dragon blood warrior. Making searches more annoying because searching for just adult doesn't pull up only those type of novels, nor does searching for adult+mature, not does adult+mature+smut.
    I could use some of the more specific tags to that type of thing such as anal, or tentacles but that excludes some of the genre, whereas searching for R-18 will pull up all of those novels, but for JP only currently.

The best solution in this scenario would be to open up the R-18 tag to all languages rather than being language specific.
    The other solution is to lose the tag completely as it has similar tags and should be merged anyways (this is a really bad solution, like super bad).
    Or we could ignore the fact that there's an issue and end up with people who mistakenly add it, because it's such a generic term and category don't think to check that it is limited to a specific languange.

Additionally, in an ideal situation there should be no language specific tags as we have the Novel Type for that.

ohko likes this.
  2. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    We have genre specific tags, I don't see why we can't have language specific tags.

As for the rest of the post... Dunno, never tried searching for those I guess.

3. runsing

runsing status : bleeding, health -10/s Novel Updates Staff

Reading List:
    Link
    R-18 IS 'adult'.
    tbh, R-18 shouldn't even exist as tag because it would led to redundancy.
    it is 'your' comprehension that cause the 'weird' feeling, because in your mind, you already stereotyping adult as extreme violence, which is incorrect. because that would fall under mature/gore instead

also, mentioning of sex but not detailed is r-15, not r-18/adult.

have you ever read any h-doujin? did you notice the r18+ or r-18 logo on the cover? check again. r-18 is as adult as it gets

ohko, Blitz and isekaishousetsu like this.
  4. MangoGuy

MangoGuy Rambling Mango

Reading List:
    Link
    aye..I have gone through similar issues in the past but...*tadah!!!*
    Series Finder.
    Include the tags you want, like rape or tentacles or threesome or anal or whatever. Exclude what you dont want,, like ntr. Search. Set the tags OR and not AND. that should do. The genre you are looking for is anyhow Adult. A way to stop getting violent type adult novels is by excluding the gore tag or the depictions of cruelty tag.

It has helped me in the past.

5. willuwontu

Reading List:
    Link
    You mean aside from the definition of the Adult Tag
    Definition: Contains mature content that is suitable only for adults. Titles in this category may include prolonged scenes of intense violence and/or graphic sexual content and nudity.

For the record Adult and Mature should be merged based on their definitions

Adult:
    Definition: Contains mature content that is suitable only for adults. Titles in this category may include prolonged scenes of intense violence and/or graphic sexual content and nudity.
    Mature:
    Definition: Contains subject matter which may be too extreme for people under the age of 17. Content that deals with mature themes not suitable for a younger audience.

The issue is that I'll typically search for related novels by clicking the tag on the novels page, so for adult it pulls up all sorts of crap, whereas r-18 doesn't.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 4, 2017
  6. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    Adult is usually more graphic, both on the violence side and on the sex side.

Mature works with mature themes, but isn't necessarily graphic.

7. runsing

Reading List:
    Link
    r-18 is the same. scat play, fisting, pegging, torture, amputation is part of intense sexual acts/fetish, that depending on the story, can be a violent act (which usually accompanied by rape, mind break etc), or a mutual acceptance (bdsm)

again, the reason you feel r-18 doesn't have that crap is because you haven't come across it yet, or you have excluded some tag such as netorare or rape (which is the same situation in 'adult-genred' novel

8. willuwontu

Reading List:
    Link
    Aye, but those are part of the genre i'd be looking for, descriptions of slowly crushing a man's body into bits, and mutilation of corpses isn't (which is covered by the adult genre)

9. MangoGuy

MangoGuy Rambling Mango

Reading List:
    Link
    huh? Dude...you are able to read such kind of..research novels for free. The least you can do, is spend some time. There is a reason why the Series Finder tool was made. if something can be done by it, then obviously the staff will stop looking into the issue.
    As for following the tags..if you follow the tags, you should get the right novels. Even for CN.

LaDyViL likes this.
  10. willuwontu

Reading List:
    Link
    I stand corrected

11. MangoGuy

MangoGuy Rambling Mango

Reading List:
    Link
    look man, if you want only sex stuff, then use series finder. adult genre. EXCLUDE gore and maybe depictions of cruelty tag. That i the most I can do for you. I spend a lot of time to get some good stuff to read you know!!

willuwontu likes this.
  12. runsing

Reading List:
    Link
    actually r-18 can, because it is the same.

and both adult and r-18 will need to be accompanied by Torture, Depictions Of Cruelty, and Gore for such scene

13. willuwontu

Reading List:
    Link
    Then the issue seems to lie in that R-18 and searching for JP Adult Novels seems to give 2 different lists, when they should be giving the same one, probably due to how Soyosetsu tags their R-18 novels. Which means a cleanup of those novel tags needs to happen.

Edit: R-18 probably needs a tag definition change.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2017
  14. MangoGuy

MangoGuy Rambling Mango

Reading List:
    Link
    R-18: JP + R-18 certification by the RAW site/TL/sexual content(preferred)
    Adult + JP : May include violence as well, depending on if tags like gore and stuff are present.

15. ohko

ohko 【LGBTQ+ association】 【ohko is ohko!】

Reading List:
    Link
    Honestly, I kind of agree... in the sense that it makes no sense to ordinary people why R-18 is JP-only............... besides what exactly is the difference between R-18 and Adult? And even if there is a difference, why is it that CN novels that fulfill the criteria for R-18 don't get tagged it while JP novels should? If that's the case, shouldn't there be a CN equivalent of the R-18 tag to be fair...?

...but I'm not in charge of the tags so.............

Anyways, I originally came because a common tag on jjwxc is "Uke Protagonist" or "Seme Protagonist", and I thought it might be nice if there were more tags to separate the growing number of BL novels. IDK what the rules are about adding tags or things like that though.

16. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmmmm... It's more because the R-18 tag exists in Syosestu that it exists in NU tbh... Honestly, it means the exact same as Adult, so I'm not sure why it even exists... >.>
    Suggestions of such tags?

If the staff consider it useful, you're free to add it... Technically speaking you're free to add it anyway, but it will probably be removed if someone doesn't consider it useful and it wasn't discussed beforehand.

runsing likes this.
  17. XD

XD Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hahah is this in regards to Amorous Slave Girl?

I -THINK- that as long as it's useful, you can add it. Maybe ask the Danmei Room if other readers are interested in that tag?

18. runsing

Reading List:
    Link
    while we don't have Uke Protagonist, we do have Seme Protagonist. Uke doesn't get a tag due it being the most common form of mc in yaoi, a default., or so i was told.
    one of reason r-18 is being kept jp-only is for redundancy, and also making it more organizable.

ohko, LaDyViL and AliceShiki like this.
  19. Molen

Molen Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I want to add a suggestion about tags

some tags description are about how to use the tag, while the rest are describing/explaining the tags

so, why dont we put two paragaph in the description box?
    1 for the description
    2 for how to use it/what type of novel can be tagged

it is a bit weird to not write a long text

20. MangoGuy

MangoGuy Rambling Mango

Reading List:
    Link
    For the current system, some tags are difficult to be exactly explained due to the scope of the different ways in which it can be used by the author, in which case a general where to use def is given on the assumption that the reader understand the meaning of the tag.
    While your suggestion is valid, I feel that currently, getting all the tags defined properly one way or another is higher priority. Later on,we can divide and edit these defs. We need a base for later editing.
    Tons of tags are either misunderstood or NU uses them differently from general, due to which we have different types of defs.
    Also, as far as what I know, a properly done where to use tag also makes the reader understand the definition of the tag.