NU/NUF Frequently Asked Questions

Discussion in 'Novel Updates Site Discussion' started by Tony, Apr 3, 2018.

1. Tony

Tony Moderator Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Frequently Asked Questions
    These are frequently asked questions asked around NU/NUF. If you have any questions, please ask here and we will do our best to answer them and add them to our FAQ.

Novel Updates Forum
    All forum related FAQ will be posted here. You should also visit the forum rules and get familiar with them. NUF is short for "Novel Updates Forum". Click on the link above to get all frequently asked questions related to NUF.

Novel Updates

All site related FAQ will be posted here. NU is short for "Novel Updates". Click on the link above to get all frequently asked questions related to NU.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2018
  2. Tony

Reading List:
    Link
    Novel Updates Forum
    Account
    Threads / Profiles

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2022
  3. Tony

Reading List:
    Link
    Novel Updates
    Account

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 21, 2021
    Yyou, Rinymn, Nia2760 and 21 others like this.
  4. Tony

Reading List:
    Link
    1.1 How do I get a custom title?
    You will need 100 or more posts to be able to get a custom title. That feature does not open immediately. You will have to wait 30 minutes for that feature to open once you reach 100 posts.​
    1.2 How do I change my avatar?
    From the forum, hover your mouse over your username (top right) -> avatar. Changing your avatar on the forum will also change your avatar on NU. If your avatar does not change on NU, you should try logging out and logging back in from both NU and NUF.​
    1.3 How do I use the "follow" feature?
    There are two ways to follow someone.
    Click on the username you want to follow and an overlay should popup:
    [​IMG]
    Go to the profile you want to follow and located at the top right corner of the profile:[​IMG]
    1.4 What does the "follow" function do?
    The follow function will allow you to see when the people you followed are online which is located at the "Members Online Now" widget. You will also see their activities by visiting your News Feed.​
    1.5 What features get unlocked once I get 100 posts?
    You will be able to get a custom title, an "Upload File" button will also appear in threads and your conversation limit will be increased.​
    1.6 I'm a translator. How do I get a medal like what I've seen around the forums?
    The requirement to get this medal is you as a translator or editor must have translated/edited at least 15 chapters (or 22500 words). If you meet the requirement, please follow the steps here: Medals for Translation Groups.​
    1.7 Is there a dark mode on NUF?
    Yes, there is. The dark mode is located at the bottom left of this page.
    You can switch to dark mode or switch to other styles by clicking on the "Flat Awesome" link shown in the screenshot: [​IMG]
    1.8 How do I change my timezone?
    Your username (top right) -> Preferences -> Time Zone​
    1.9 Can I switch my time to use the 24 hour format?
    Yes, you can. Your username (top right) -> Preferences -> English (UK)​
    1.10 How do I change the options for threads per page, posts per page or conversations per page?
    Your username (top right) -> Preferences -> Threads Per Page / Posts Per Page / Conversations Per Page​
    1.11 There's a like limit? What's the limit?
    A like limit was implemented to stop users from spamming likes to boost another account. The like limit is currently set at 135. If you would like to increase your limit, you can buy a like increase limit via https://forum.novelupdates.com/shop-purchase/1/purchase using nuffies (fake forum currency).

Likes given in conversations will count towards your like limit but it won't affect your total likes received.
    1.12 How many users can I invite into a conversation?
    If you have under 100 posts, your limit is 5. If you have 100 posts or more, your limit is 15.​
    1.13 Why am I not getting alerts for my watched threads anymore?
    Please visit https://forum.novelupdates.com/posts/5750156/ for more information​
    1.14 Why can't I start a new conversation (PM)?
    You need to wait 24 hours or make one post and wait 30 minutes before this feature is open to you.​

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2020
  5. Tony

Reading List:
    Link
    2.1 Why can't I make a thread?
    You need at least one post and wait 30 minutes to be able to make a thread OR wait until your account is 24 hours old. This was implemented to stop spam bots.​
    2.2 Why are my posts "pending"?
    Your account is new and it's triggering the forum's spam protection features. A moderator will approve of your posts shorty. Once they do, your posts should no longer be pending.​
    2.3 I keep getting an error each time I try to post a link or image!
    You will need at least five posts before you're able to post a link or image. This was implemented to stop spam bots.​
    2.4 Why can't I upload images directly to NUF? Why is there no "Upload File" button?
    You will need 100 messages to unlock this feature. In the meantime, you can upload the images using a 3rd party image hosting site and embed it.​
    2.5 Why are my posts not counting towards my total post count?
    Posts in Community Games and Novel Pickup Request are not counted towards your post total. Profile posts are also not counted towards your post total.​
    2.6 Can I delete my thread?
    We only delete threads on rare occasions such as illegal threads or thread made by spam bots. Other than that, the most we can do is lock your thread for you.​
    2.7 The reply button is missing in a thread!
    When the reply button is missing from a thread, it's either locked or you've been reply banned by a moderator.​
    2.8 How do I link the latest chapter discussion (LCD) I made from NUF on NU?
    You can request for your thread to be linked via Latest Chapter Discussion Merge Request.​
    2.9 How do I report a thread, thread post or profile post for breaking a rule?
    There's a "report" link below the post. Please use that to report the post if it's violating the forum rules.​
    2.10 How do I use the spoiler function?
    Highlight the text you wish to hide under a spoiler and click on the "spoiler" button. You can also enter a title for your spoiler if you wish.
    [​IMG]
    2.11 How do I use the multi-quote (+quote) function?
    The multi-quote function is an easy and quick way to quote multiple messages. Just click on the "+ Quote" link which is located at the bottom right of each post you wish to quote then click on the "Insert Quotes..." button located under the reply box to insert the quotes.​
    2.12 Why is my thread not showing up on NU's main page?
    Threads in Suggestions & Bug Reports and Spoilers are not shown on NU's main page. Threads with the "spoiler" prefix is also not shown on NU's main page.​
    2.13 How often can I bump a request thread?
    Once a week.​
    2.14 What are forum tags and should I use them?
    Yes, you should use them. Forum tags make it easy to find your threads. Please check out the Tagging Template before you make your thread.​
    2.15 Can any translators please pick up this novel?
    You can make a pickup request in the Novel Pickup Request subforum. You must use the template or your thread will be locked. You must also have to wait at least three months (or dropped by translator) from the last release before you post your request.​
    2.16 I want to join as a translator, editor or proofreader!
    You should create a thread in the Translator's corner with the appropriate prefix.​
    2.17 I would like to request a feature or report a bug.
    You can request a feature or report a bug in the Suggestions & Bug Report forum.​
    2.18 I can't remember the name of this novel or I'm looking for recommendations!
    Whether you need help on finding a novel or looking for recommendations, you can ask for help in the I'm Looking for... subforum. If you're asking for recommendations, please make your reading list public so it'll be easier for other users to know what you've read already.​
    2.19 My new posts are being combined with my old ones, what's going on!?
    If you post twice in a row, in the same thread, your posts may be automatically merged into one. This prevents a thread from becoming cluttered with posts from a single person. If you feel like you absolutely must post twice, you can let someone else post between, or wait it out - the automatic merging only works on posts created within a relatively short time. Your posts may still be manually merged later, if it looks like there was no particularly good reason for the double posting.​

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2022
  6. Tony

Reading List:
    Link
    3.1 What is money (nuffies)?
    The currency used on the forum is called "nuffies". It's a fun feature and the money isn't real.​
    3.2 How do I earn nuffies?
    You can earn nuffies by posting on the forums, playing the bot games or participating in forum events.​
    3.3 Can you list all the bot games on NUF that will let me earn nuffies?
    NUF's Blackjack and "Rock, Paper, Scissors". You can also earn a free daily income by posting "!freemoney" (without the quotes) in NUF's Blackjack, "Rock, Paper, Scissors" and The Piñata Game.​
    3.4 Where can I spend my nuffies?
    NUF's shop, NUF's Blackjack, "Rock, Paper, Scissors" or you can make your own game and post them in Community Games by offering nuffies.​
    3.5 How do I send nuffies to someone?
    There are two ways to transfer nuffies to someone.
    Go to the user profile you want to send money to and click on their money. [​IMG]
    "Bank" tab (located at the top) -> "Transfer Money"

Yyou, aafiaaa_, Elizzabetta and 18 others like this.
  7. Tony

Reading List:
    Link
    4.1 What does the blog feature do and how do I use it?
    The blog feature is basically profile posts version two. You'll be able to post longer posts that doesn't belong in threads.​
    4.2 Is there a list of Smilies, BB Codes, Trophies and Medals?
    You can find those links in the via the help link.​
    4.3 I have a problem with a moderator. What should I do?
    You should PM that moderator and talk out your problems first. If it doesn't solve it, you are free to PM @Tony and tell him your story.​
    4.4 Someone is abusing the likes system!
    PM @Tony and he'll reverse the likes and take care of the user violating the forum rules.​

8. Tony

Reading List:
    Link
    5.1 How do I change my avatar?
    Your NU avatar shares the same avatar from NUF so you will need to change it from the forums. From the forum, hover your mouse over your username (top right) -> avatar. Changing your avatar on the forum will also change your avatar on NU. If your avatar does not change on NU, you should try logging out and logging back in from both NU and NUF.​
    5.2 Does NU have a dark mode?
    Yes, it does. Your Profile -> Settings (Top right corner) -> "Enable Styles" -> Select "Dark" -> "Save Settings"​
    5.3 My avatar on NU isn't being updated. How do I fix this?
    You must log off NU first then log back into NU. This should fix the issue.​
    5.4 What does the rank listed on my profile mean and how do I rank up?
    The rank represents where you are compared to the other users. You can rank up by writing reviews, rating novels, submitting series, submitting releases and editing anything related to a novel.​
    5.5 Why did my review get rejected?
    It's violating NU's Review Guidelines.​
    5.6 I can see my reviews but others can't.
    Your reviews has not been approved yet. It usually takes 24-48 hours for a review to be approved. Editing an existing review will send it back for approval.​
    5.7 How do I find all reviews I've written?
    There are two ways to find all reviews you've written.
    The first way is grabbing your public reading list link as all of your reviews will be listed there. You can find your public reading list link by going to your Reading List -> "Global Settings" -> Grab the "Link" link next to the "Enable Public List" checkbox. If you reading list isn't public, make sure you set it to public.

Shortcut: https://www.novelupdates.com/readlist/?uname=Tony (Replace "Tony" with your username)
    The second way is to go to your NU's profile page -> "Reviews" tab

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 21, 2021
    GREED444, ylial, hillo315 and 10 others like this.
  9. Tony

Reading List:
    Link
    6.1 How do I use the reading list feature?
    All features of the reading list is explained here: Reading List Tutorial.​
    6.2 How do I make my reading list public?
    Reading List (Right sidebar) -> Global Settings (Top right) -> Check "Enable Public List" -> "Save Settings"​
    6.3 Why are some novels not listed when I try to recommend a novel?
    You must have that novel in your reading list before you are able to recommend it.​
    6.4 How do I hide a series from NU?
    Make a new reading list for the novels you wish to hide. After that, from your reading list page, select the list you wish to hide then click on "List Settings" -> "Hide from Main Release Page" -> "Save Settings".​
    6.5 How do I hide a group from NU?
    You can hide groups with the Release Filtering feature.​
    6.6 Is there a way to hide releases by languages?
    No.​
    6.7 I can't edit tags, genres, descriptions or anything related to a novel.
    You're banned from editing. Please open a PM with one of the moderators and ask them why you're banned.​

10. Tony

Reading List:
    Link
    7.1 How does NU work? How do I add a novel or my group to the site?
    Read this thread: How Does Novel Updates Work?
    7.2 What's the process of getting my group and novel auto approved?
    Read this thread: How Does Novel Updates Work?
    7.3 I changed the links on my site and it's no longer working on NU. How do I report the changes?
    You can report it via the Report Problem link. This link is found in your user profile.​
    7.4 I'm having problems related to my group or novel!
    Open a PM with @Tony and describe your problem in details.​
    7.5 I released a version two of my release. Why isn't it showing?
    Version two of releases are not shown as a new release. Instead, the version one is edited with the version two link.​
    7.6 I'm working on a novel with another group, is it possible to show both group names for the credits?
    At this time, it's not possible.​
    7.7 My group has moved domains. How do I make the changes for my group?
    You can report it via the Report Problem link. This link is found in your user profile.​
    7.8 I submitted a chapter, why isn't it showing?
    It usually takes a few hours if none of the moderators are online. A moderator will accept your chapter once he/she is online. Please be patient.​
    7.9 I heard there was a hidden forum for translators. How do I join it?
    I will need you to post your NUF username on your website somewhere and PM @Tony the link for verification purposes. Once that's done, you will be added and given the link to the private forum.​
    7.10 How do I add my group news to NU?
    At this time, you can't add group news to NU manually. It's all done automatically by the NU bots.​
    8.1 Can I see NU's policy?
    Link: NU Policy.​
    8.2 How do I report a bad advertisement?
    First of all, thank you for supporting NU/NUF by not blocking advertisements. Secondly, you can report them in this thread: Reporting Advertisements. Please follow the format in the opening post.​
    8.3 How do I report a problem with a chapter?
    8.4 Where is the search bar? Why did it get removed?
    The search bar hasn't been removed. It's been moved instead. Click on the "search" icon located at the top right corner for the search bar to show.​
    8.5 I have a question about whether I should add or remove a tag on NU.
    The best place to ask is at the Cleaning up NU Tags thread.​
    8.6 Someone is messing with the tags, genres, etc... how do I report this person?
    You can report it via the Report Problem link. Please be as detailed as possible. This link is found in your user profile.​
    8.7 The chapters are out of order. What should I do?
    8.8 Will Novel Updates ever accept English originals?
    At this time, no. Please use https://www.scribblehub.com/ instead.​
    8.9 Does Novel Updates have an API?
    No.​
    8.10 Is there a way to get the RSS feed for my reading list?
    Yes. From your Reading List, click on either the "green" or "orange" RSS feed icon located at the top right.
    [​IMG]
    8.11 Do you have a change log for all changes made on the site?
    Yes, please follow @NU Status Bot for all updates related to NU/NUF. You will get an alert every time an update is made.​

Last edited: Apr 16, 2021
  11. DocB

DocB "I see you, little mouse! Run along"

Reading List:
    Link
    you forgot to close comments
    s this i now a spider man thread
    -image removed-
    damn you tony

Last edited: Apr 4, 2018
    AA-Admiral, Bowie, Seraphic and 4 others like this.
  12. Tony

Reading List:
    Link
    I didn't. It's suppose to be opened.

13. SoulZer0

SoulZer0 Heaven Refining

Reading List:
    Link
    You gotta teach me how to make that back to top button

14. juniorjawz

juniorjawz Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Click me

15. Naraku

Naraku 『』『』『』

Reading List:
    Link
    @Tony,
    Wow, that's such a detailed FAQ ! :aww:
    So long... Good work !:blobhero:

Now... Gotta read them all. :blobpeek:

16. Frozen ink

Frozen ink Legally had harem『Cathulu』Power of Love & Evil』

Reading List:
    Link
    you know the saddest part about this is people (specially newbies) will still ask before being redirected here desu

17. SoulZer0

SoulZer0 Heaven Refining

Reading List:
    Link
    That's too simple. And that's not blue button.

AMissingLinguist and juniorjawz like this.
  18. juniorjawz

juniorjawz Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That's not sad. That's life, and it's real.

19. replay

replay ★Milk and Honey smelling Merchant★

Reading List:
    Link
    now. . .
    this should always be on the latest topic section!!!

20. AHKoT

AHKoT [FA sect] [2nibyou] [ReverseEpi] [Htrap]

Reading List:
    Link
    :hmm::hmm::hmm::hmm::hmm:

:blobfearful::blobfearful::blobfearful::blobfearful::blobfearful: