What is wrong with Harem?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Titan LLS, Oct 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. elengee

elengee Daoist Ninefaps

Reading List:
    Link
    Harem is only good if it's wincest.

King0Mik and Ignus like this.
  2. MH2

MH2 [Former Child]

Reading List:
    Link
    Simple
    Shoving characters that just look pretty hinder the story

3. mmsupreme

mmsupreme How do I change my custom title?

Reading List:
    Link
    Because writing a good garem is harder than writing a normal romance. You have to keep the characters relevant whiles balancing their traits so that they dont become just a multipersonality disorder in multiple bodies. Sevens handle harems to a great degree where there are characters who hate each other in the harem as opposed to mga where all the girls can be interchangable at any moment and all it becomes is a count. I like most harem characters personality when they are introduced but all of them just change into robots following the mcs will and sometimes screwing him over with other men lusting for them even though no one was that aggressive before the mc came along

King0Mik likes this.
  4. erowarrior

erowarrior Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Lemmy give you a reason.

Im one of the first people that start hating harem (start from 3 years ago and I know I'm old o.o'')
    The reason is simple. Its fucking overuse '-'

6-7 Years ago you could barely find harem. This make it special and cause romance stories were popular back then harem were always a fantasy awesome romance.

Now every fucking person who have a whim to write, write about harem. Women are just tools that want to move story. In there heroine fall in love with mc cause mc walks in front of him or some shitty reason like that.

All of them are important figures, strong and VERY VERY beautiful.

Those days novels lost their novelties. Authors even stop to come up for new things and use old things like heroine fall in love for mc cause he save her or something like that '-'

I extremely hate those kind of novels. But if its a harem story like I hate being wed in a fantasy world! I really love it.

By the way this is come out from an old man so dunno about those youngsters those days '-'

talion333 likes this.
  5. talion333

talion333 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm not against harem but I dislike the novel where the woman are just colector's item without "soul".

Fuyuneko and Mangochic like this.
  6. Lustful

Lustful Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well they say that in most harems, girls are there only to warm mc's bed, they are brain dead, etc; and they always get together with forced situations like afrodisiac pill/rape her to save her
    All in all i enjoy harem as long as the story is not boring hehexd

7. MangoGuy

MangoGuy Rambling Mango

Reading List:
    Link
    EVERYTHING IS WRONG WITH A BAD HAREM.

Traveling Chef likes this.
  8. Danis

Danis {(Harem Sect Leader)}{Trickster}&{Lurker}

Reading List:
    Link
    i know some of harem novel is bad but there is a lot good harem too just because you read the bad one you say all harem novel is bad that is so stupid

Ignus likes this.
  9. GuldTasken

GuldTasken Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's simple. Most Harems features one dimensional women that has little depth to it. The only good Harems out there, tend to feature female characters with their own thoughts, problems and goals. But most Harems are A, " I think of him, his problems are mine, his goals are mine " or some sort of similar scenario where the man is the sun where the women revolve around.

While these type of Harems can be fun sometimes. It isn't particulary interesting as a harem.

Let us take an example of a better harem, Kazuma, Aqua, Megumi(?), Darkness. They still have their own personalities, goals, aspirations and thoughts. The characters feel Alive and not one dimensional.

But, the best harem in my opinion is still, Mushoku Tensei.

Most harems are very one dimensional. And generally, the main character is fairly shallow in personality as well.

Edit;
    Heck, most Hentai Harems tend to have more depth to their characters than the actual Non-Hentai harems.

10. Night Phoenix

Night Phoenix The *Eccentric* Person

Reading List:
    Link
    I like good written harems
    Some Japanese harems ruined harems for me by doing this
    Me:Ohhh my god yes they’re about to kiss
    Harem member #5:Mhmmmm (Insert MC name) lets go to (Insert location)
    Me:... wh..thats..FUUUUUUUU

11. passingthunder

passingthunder Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, I tend to dislike harems because its a crutch to escape very real problems. For example, instead dealing with the concept that not every woman (or peerless beauty as some novels call them) is going want the MC, and sometimes the MC will like them, want to be involved and be ultimately rejected, not out of spite or some hidden plot line but simply because shes not into it novels just throw these woman with supposedly extremely strong characters at the MC.

Further, if multiple women like the same man, you will also get a lot of jealousy and conflict between them but novels tend to completely ignore this aspect. (if you don't believe this would happen please share your GF).

otaku31, XD, maiha-sama and 2 others like this.
  12. FranckOA

FranckOA Killer Klown From Outer Space

Reading List:
    Link
    Unfortunatly it's mushoku tensei's way of handling harem that is an exception, not ATG's way. And that's why a lot of people dislike harem stories...

You can find in a lot of CN stories jade skined harem girls with bed post notch personality that fall in love with the MC for no reason other than "it's the MC and the author decided that I have to fall in love with him", they are easily forgotable or even get forgotten by the author a few chapter after getting on with the MC, or JP stories were you always have the same pack of cloned template girls (stuff+dere) that flock around the MC for the same reason as their CN counterpart...

But harem stories with interresting female characters who develop their feeling for the MC in a plausible and gripping way, and find ways to come to term with the fact that they will have to share him, that's extremely rare...

13. Cosmic_

Cosmic_ [Novel Addict] [Lazy Writer] [Meh Editor]

Reading List:
    Link
    I think most (not all) people don’t like most (not all) harems due to a few particular reasons. One is that typical harem novels become victim to their harem tags. This creates a reliance on harems leading to bland girl collecting stories. It also can lead to 1 dimensional characters and bad romance.

The second reason is that comparing romance to harem, harem makes things “feel like a waste of good ideas.” Take Nisekoi or Oreshura, the backstory, premise, characters, and templates of the girls could all make a good romance in it if itself but it becomes a harem romance drama where we drag out to see the “one that wins in the end.”

Another is also that harems are unrealistic as well as the genre being ill-defined. A harem can meaning polygamy, it could be a many girls only one will win love-octagon drama, it can also be a never ending story like most bland harems, it could also be merely a guy surrounded by girls(not always girls in love with MC). It’s just a rollercoaster where the quality and nature of a harem varies.

The last is also the fact that it can leads to bad stories like I mentioned with the dependence thing. It makes the heroine/love interests objects of collection. They can lack any character or logical romantic development/progress. Same for when we get a bland MC (or likeable but not relatable or deep in the Kirito way) only to be a vessel for an audiences self projection. It also creates throwaway harem candidates(this is common in the harem love dramas types). It’s especially common in CNs where a girl is introduced to fall in love with MC (but obviously won’t ever be loved back) only to statify the wishfulling MC is loved by all the chicks idea. It could even be a story with polygamy but certain good girls are treated as fleeting and disposable. It really leaves bitter taste.

Most harems don’t enhance a story or add dept to it. It can be just a crutch a writer rely on or a way to satisfy wishfullment without real work that’s why no harem(that I know) has really ugly love interests and the MC being bland in personality and MC’s appearance (bland, average, handsome, ugly) not mattering.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2017
    Thecomicgeek likes this.
  14. Danis

Danis {(Harem Sect Leader)}{Trickster}&{Lurker}

Reading List:
    Link
    hahahaha ATG again seriously.........

15. Thecomicgeek

Thecomicgeek Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Whats wrong with harem?

Well ATG is the definitive foremost best exemplary super duper ultra mega example of harem cancer+aids+herpes..
    (Deep breath) sorry.. couldn't resist..

Theres just something very cringe-worthy or offensive about harem for many people. Or maybe they've experienced reading some very bad examples of harem *cough ATG cough cowshit cough explosive diarrhea cough* but I know alot of people enjoy reading it even if I do hate, abhor and loath it. Admittedly I've read and enjoyed some aspects of the storyline of ATG while forcefully skipping or stubbornly ignoring the "mc sees pussy must claim it shit on everyone else this woman belongs to me and will understand my need to fuck everyone I deem pretty enough to join my harem even if its a 14 yr old kid and I impregnated someone who has borne my child who I dont know if their even alive boo hoo oh look another pretty pussy I want in my harem hello there your mine I fuck you ok? Dont think about me neglecting you whenever I see another pussy you will always be mine and mine alone and you will never find anyone else attractive again nor need the emotional support of someone again coz you will only be able to think of me and my awesome callused godly dick coz I am awesome of the awesomest awesome ever relationship" Oh Gawd slap me I can't stop myself.......

Uhm... gist of it all is that people have their own dislikes and likes and since its just a literary work its fine if some people hate or love a genre. It's a choice a preference and its ok for it to be so.

16. Liea

Liea Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well i kind of don´t like romance with a male MC in ether case but it´s most because almost all females are pretty much the same and they are often portrayed as a sex object... and if it´s harem then it is worse like 5 to 10 times worse...:blobpensive:

Thecomicgeek likes this.
  17. lexlangel

lexlangel Shem's lost butler

Reading List:
    Link
    *sips tea*
    usually i can ignore those harems, as long as they can be ignored in the story then thats fine ~~~

18. Lazybum0

Lazybum0 Cheers darlin'

Reading List:
    Link
    As i've said dozens of times , for me it's not about morality ,being faithful or all that shit. It's that i usually don't like the plot that usually comes in a package with the tag harem.
    That being said i don't shove off a novel just because it is harem ,with the exception of when is 2 digits harem. Everything in excess is poison ,i don't want to read about a guy that thinks with his balls.

Thecomicgeek and Shance like this.
  19. King0Mik

King0Mik 【An Actual Idiot】

Reading List:
    Link
    I personally avoid the harem tag. To me, most harem stories feel like some kind of wish fulfillment for an author who can't get a girlfriend. The girls are just there for collection and immediately love the MC.
    upload_2017-10-7_16-16-4.png

LOL :blobxd:

Last edited: Oct 7, 2017
  20. Shance

Shance 『Trying to evade the wall in the front』『Failing』

Reading List:
    Link
    The fact that most harems have no good chatacter development. What I like in a romance is how the characters grow, interact, and get to know each other. It's easier to achieve in a small relationship than a 10 harem relationship.

Also, I think that a relationship circling around 1 man with more than say, 3 women, is imposible without dividing the time shared systematicly.
    And that would be boring.

Its monday lets go see girl number 2 in the morning, girl 7 in the night.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.