Discussion The Dao of skipping

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Sangnz, Oct 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sangnz

Sangnz Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    After reading so many novels with excessive repeating of information, unneeded exposition or technical explanation it has seriously gotten to a point where in a lot of novels I find myself skipping chunks,

While I realise that some authors get paid by the word I really wish they would apply it to the story and not to meaningless padding. Some may consider it world building but honestly the majority of the "world building" is truly terrible and unneeded, I've even found myself skipping over large chunks of battles just because I get so sick of the overly descriptive nature of the combat even moreso when the out come is 100% obvious and it is just being dragged out.
    In the worst cases I end up skipping almost entire chapters reading only 10-20% of it.

Anyone else developed their own Dao of skipping or do you read 100% of whats written?

Nef-i likes this.
  2. crow14

crow14 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I skip some cultivation part in some novel when it getting too much for me i just skim through and look for main content in that section like technique name or how does it work not how did he cultivate it

Pleasantly-plump likes this.
  3. kenar

kenar ヽ(`・ω・´)ゝ

Reading List:
    Link
    I skipped a class

4. elengee

elengee Daoist Ninefaps

Reading List:
    Link
    The Dao of fapmaterial search is a Grand Dao above the Dao of simply skipping.:hmm:

5. Not Red Yet

Not Red Yet Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I skip the useless peanut gallery in most fights. Like how he is courting death or the other guy is such a genius that the MC will lose.

To me those parts are the most annoying in novels, Pretty sad how it happens every fight.

6. oronwe

oronwe Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I too skip some of the fight part if the outcome is clear. Sometimes i skip the antagonist(s) monologues on how the mc is inferior, courting death ecc...

7. chencking

chencking [Daolord Grammar Nazi]

Reading List:
    Link
    Skipping is not a Dao; it is qi deviation from the Dao of Reading

8. Kom12

Kom12 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Those techniques of devil sects, will end up dropping those novels.It takes more than talent and luck, mere mortals

9. Estarossa

Estarossa 《Master of Dessert》°Resurrected Ghoul°

Reading List:
    Link
    I skip/skim over the parts which remind me of the super long dialogue scenes in movies.

10. Land of The Fallen

Land of The Fallen Hax's | Immortal

Reading List:
    Link
    Such a profound Dao :aww::aww::aww:
    Well, personally I skip all the unimportant parts... like the boring battles...

11. fuzor100

fuzor100 Standby mode...

Reading List:
    Link
    I can skip any large info dumb, any useless boring chatting, any uninteresting part and any uninteresting side character.

12. niks27

niks27 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I skip most of info about pil concocting material and process, annoyingly long info about cultivation techniques like in "emperor's domination", it gets so confusing that even my text books look easy.
    The only novel with interesting pil concocting, cultivation techniques, etc is "I SHALL SEAL THE HEAVENS".

13. Defiant_Deviant

Defiant_Deviant Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    BTTH, WDQK, WMW, ED, and ATG are where I constantly use the Dao of skipping in my current reading list.

ElderMaOu likes this.
  14. flowingcloud

flowingcloud Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ah, fellow Daoist. You have also embarked on the long path on the Dao of Skipping. Youngling let me share with you my insights on this Dao. Whenever you see a paragraph of colorful descriptions: Skip. A paragraph on how the Female MC has peerless beauty or some reincarnation plot armor: Skip. I have already reached the realm of subconscious filtering, where my head filters out the useless information immediately. Just skip whatever is not important to the plot, unless you are reading Er Gen novel because even the painter was important (ISSTH reference). I hope you fair well on your long journey on this deep path of the Dao of Skipping.

ElderMaOu likes this.
  15. Raneday

Raneday Not Rane

Reading List:
    Link
    is that the reason on why there's a skip on your final grade

16. a5675

a5675 Member

Reading List:
    Link
    In Emperor's Domination I find myself reading the first and last paragraph. I then read the comments to see if its worth it and if it is I just skim the dialogue. I honestly don't remember the last time I read a full chapter.

17. zh0lvin

zh0lvin Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Some want to take shortcuts in the great Dao of Reading while some slowly construct a solid and steady base!
    The Dao of Skipping is the best way accumulate critical gaps in your cultivation!

I wouldn't recommend it...
    ... unless it's the morning, you have to go to work/school but you only have 10 minutes to read 8 chapters :whistle:

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
  18. AMissingLinguist

AMissingLinguist [Not Here][Blank Sect][Nuffian #N]

Reading List:
    Link
    I thought you meant the Dao of Skipping as in the action of taking one step and moving miles. For me, I practice the Dao of Skimming, only reading text in such a way that is easy to process and remember without extra clutter like images from descriptions inside my head.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.