Discussion RANT!!!

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by theoldmonster23, Oct 21, 2017.

?

Do you agree?

1. Yes

5 vote(s)
    21.7%
  2. No

18 vote(s)
    78.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fluffums

Fluffums 【R-18 Researcher】【Seeker of Moe】

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, hire a translator then, or learn a new language, or use MTL.
    Otherwise, translators translate what they want.

2. Rae

Rae ͏͏͏͏͏͏͏͏͏͏͏͏͏͏͏

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes yes, i too am sick.
    Not always though ?
    I think there's one like this ?
    Altina the sword princess is pretty long imo.
    Never goes to QI, so no comment.
    Do what ?
    Uhh, QI's novel ?
    We do !?
    All Hail @Tony
    Maybe they want to be one of them ?
    Then, try to write one, i'll read it and i'll rate it.
    Not always half assed though, some of them can be a masterpiece, like Invisible Dragon.

3. Jaded

Jaded Majoring in Erology

Reading List:
    Link
    While I dont agree with the way you said stuff, I do agree with your main idea. More variety in novels would be really appreciated by me.

Unfortunately, I dont expect things to change drastically very soon. There are all sorts of Japanese LN's for example. But the vast majority that gets TLed are the harem/VR/slice of life novels.
    You guys and the OP all need to chill out lol. I dont see him trying to ordering/disrespecting translators around. I don't think anyone can deny that while there are various types on web novels, most(not all) follow the same style with minor variations. Even if you disagree with that, telling someone that he's 'millenial trash' or 'he's part of the community I'm ashamed of' is going a little too overboard. If a rant was this bad, then your views regarding some of the even more ugly parts of the community would be too terrifying to read lol.

@theoldmonster23 , I do realise you want to rant, but seriously, if you want people to understand what you are trying to say, you need to...be more careful with your words? The poll is probably going not going to go the way you would have wanted it to, not because your idea was bad, but the way you presented it was.

4. Haevrus

Haevrus No.1 Incognito Webuser

Reading List:
    Link
    Because its simple. Kingdom building novels as interesting as they might sound are quite boring actually, when you get to read them together on a daily basis. I myself was an kingdom building enthusiast, but got bored to the death. Fantasy kingdom building is still all and good, but you added "historical", how the fuck can it help you escape from your life. Go grab one Jin Yongs novels, or A Step Into The Past. Might as well read Game of Thrones, far better.

You could have even gone to RRL , and could have searched the Kingdom Building Tag. Heck there are even japanese types there. But no, you had to make a thread.

and look, saying that some people like you who go shits with their lives deserves reading this particular type of novel due to the fact they want an outlet is at the end is just you being selfish and selfish. You got shits in your lives, cool but nobody cares. Someday someone else will also go through hard times, but will you care for him/her?. My ten cents reading your posts say No, you wont unless it profits you. So go where you belong kid. This world is heartless.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2017
    Asf likes this.
  5. theoldmonster23

theoldmonster23 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I said and i quote" some people read these to escape from their life" never said i did.

6. Haevrus

Reading List:
    Link
    Save.png

7. theoldmonster23

theoldmonster23 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  8. Haevrus

Reading List:
    Link
    All right. Looks like i was a bit too harsh. Anyway, as a sign of making it up to you. I will get you some novels.
    https://forum.royalroadl.com/showthread.php?tid=96659
    http://forum.novelupdates.com/threa...-original-novels-on-royal-road-or-such.16533/
    https://www.reddit.com/r/litrpg/comments/5aa6jw/really_liking_the_kingdombuilding_stuff_in_the/
    http://www.novelupdates.com/stag/kingdom-building/
    go enjoy.
    next time, just click the tags that you find in the NU page of the novel that you like. It will give you a list of suggestions. If ya dont find anything good. Then you should post. Saves you from flames.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2017
  9. Asf

Asf 《《The aria of souls》》

Reading List:
    Link
    I dont really care for kingdom building novel tbh... not that I disagree with your oppinion on how many similar novels there is on NU. I even suspect that no authors in jp or cn doesnt follow the tropes anymore.

If you want those historical stuff tho, there should be novels like taiko or romance three kingdom out there for you to buy. Real novels. Not amature web novels.

readerz likes this.
  10. Raneday

Raneday Not Rane

Reading List:
    Link
    LaDyViL likes this.
  11. Dyne

Dyne Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So what? There are more source of novel to read outside of NU. You can go to RR, read real book, fanfiction or other reading material. In the same place you create this thread there is sticky that titled "Other website for fiction"

What you want is probably out there. It up to you to search for it

12. Ninth Mountain

Ninth Mountain Bezgranichnyy

Reading List:
    Link
    I agree I think they're just wasting their time on a 2000+ chapter novel with a plot that has been repeated over and over again. Why not pick a quality novel?

theoldmonster23 likes this.
  13. readerz

readerz Madam Jin

Reading List:
    Link
    You wanna read a good Chinese novel? Try this one - The Story of the Stone, or The Dream of the Red Chamber

14. Someguy666

Someguy666 MILF Sect Leader

Reading List:
    Link
    Then up-vote those novels in the pick up request section.

15. Ko

Ko "The Corrupted Queen"

Reading List:
    Link
    Me no comment .. I don't wanna say anything about the translators. I'm just forever greatful for them,

16. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    I suggest you try searching more, all stories I read are pretty unique from one another, even if they share a few tropes in common.

You are just looking at the wrong places.

Slayerwolfx2 likes this.
  17. Mizura

Mizura Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Are historicals such as The Grandmaster Strategist more popular than your average Xianxia? 'fraid not.
    Are they much harder to translate? - yup.

Advice of the day: go learn the language and read it on your own. You can get very far with some basic understanding of grammar + google translate.

18. Nimroth

Nimroth Someone

Reading List:
    Link
    The rant itself is probably a bit over the top, but I have to agree that I'm tired of xianxia/xuanhuan novels that focus on the mc constantly powering up, I would much rather read ones that deal with characters that are already powerful, or even weak characters that stay weak while still trying to live a good life in some way in such a world.

19. Tramsloof

Tramsloof Quarter Erudite

Reading List:
    Link
    That's a Great Wall of Text.

Someone should make a rant about this someday, it's simply a crime. What are we? Certainly not animals, at least keep the hope alive.

Now coming back to your rant, the procedure is to recommend your series in novel pickup section and tag the translators who are looking for a series.

If you have money, and the translators have taken it, and still are not crunching numbers repeatedly, go ahead my friend and rant them to death. But here is the truth, historical novels demand accuracy and that needs research which sometimes take more time than translating itself.

Now so much time for one chapter, while in the same time you could pump out five chapters of any of those same old same old novels you speak badly about. Now in a week you have 3 chapters of that historical novel of yours and compared to it, 15 chapters of the same old, same old.

It's time to factor in money now, so donations, patrons and the new found ad walls are regulated through chapters and not words, so I don't know if you can see it now but if translators translate that hard to translate historical stuff and only pump out 3 chapters a week compared to 15 of same old, same old, they are losing an enormous amount of money and for what? Some people who want to read it?

Another point, how do you know people don't want same old, same old. Everybody may be complaining about same old, same old. But they are reading it too, and they find it different too, sometimes at least. At the very least they are good for killing time. So it's not really justifying to just target them.

If anything go on with an axe in your hands and meet those authors who write the same old, same old. They only sin these translators managed to commit was daring to do something of welfare, and now people are punishing them on how they could do better.

Look brother after we have come this long, let me tell your truth of the situation. If you had not erected a Great Wall of text and not made yourself a victim, adopted a polite tone and complained, I would've stood with you, at least spiritually. Because that's the respect you give to people who know about the stuff they are talking about, and they consider the position of the party who they are ranting about.

Honestly I am just bored to write this long, and I am stopping myself here because I am finding out that this may be getting out of hand if I keep delaying the matter.

With that, over and out.

20. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    *grumbles about the like limit*

Seriously, why do I get to have the limit on my way on the rare occasions I see a well made post I want to like!? >.<

Tramsloof likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.