Discussion First!

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Mortifer, Oct 22, 2017.

?

What do you think?

1. "First" is good

16 vote(s)
    21.1%
  2. "First" is bad

11 vote(s)
    14.5%
  3. Neutral

37 vote(s)
    48.7%
  4. I don't read comments

12 vote(s)
    15.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mortifer

Mortifer Harbinger of Death - One who transcends Life

Reading List:
    Link
    For absolutely no reason at alll lol

2. akki

akki [Ani's C☕ffee-mate #3] [Shady Merchant]

Reading List:
    Link
    hmmm to use your example I see it as them rushing to be the first one to pick up the book. showing off to each other that they were the first to touch it. Then they go to pay for the book after the true fans have paid for their copies~

zloi medved likes this.
  3. Mortifer

Mortifer Harbinger of Death - One who transcends Life

Reading List:
    Link
    Quite right. But it just means that the story is good enough that glory-seeking idiots would make a fuss about being the first to do something to the book and brags about it.

4. lastcameleon

lastcameleon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I find it hard to read comments after the 'first' and 'f5 sect' ones. And I won't be reading all the comments because of them.

5. MEGA SPARTA CHICKEN

MEGA SPARTA CHICKEN Planet sized warrior Tony without wisdom teeth

Reading List:
    Link
    Would everyone who has a problem with people just typing first explain why people can't type whatever they want in a comment even if it's first.

6. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    My first first was a messup, the person thought they were first but ended up second : /

MEGA SPARTA CHICKEN and elengee like this.
  7. LysUltima

LysUltima Riichi! Tsumo! Toitoi! Suuankou!?

Reading List:
    Link
    I actually like it when people say first on my chapters...

8. AMissingLinguist

AMissingLinguist [Not Here][Blank Sect][Nuffian #N]

Reading List:
    Link
    I've seen both sides of the argument, so I've decided to stay neutral on the subject. I may sometimes type first to indicate that I've "discovered" the post first, but I will include meaningful text with my "discovery".

9. J-Mitch

J-Mitch ⚖ Tipping the Scales of the World

Reading List:
    Link
    I like when I see "First!" On chapters I've made. Makes my heart warm.

But it's not like it's necessary. So I'm more neutral to the idea.

10. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't find it disrespectful, but I find it a bother.

If people make an actual comment on my novel, I get a smile and some joy to see they care enough to comment, and I feel pretty happy when replying to the comments as well.

Single word comments though? They're just that bothering thing that forces me to enter Disqus moderation to approve it, I don't find them disrespectful, but I find them bothersome.

I would prefer it if they made an account named "The First", and regardless of when they commented, their reply was simply "As always, I am The First".

Would give me a smile whenever I see it, instead of feeling bothered because I had to manually approve a comment that I know no one will reply to.
    *laughs* I guess you're one of the weird people that think most people are translating for the sake of money?

Most translators don't earn nearly enough to care about this.

My story is "poor" to not get "first" comments? No no, I think my story readers are simply smart enough to not give me the hassle to moderate a comment that says "first", since auto-moderation will block that due to thinking it is spam.

Money is nice of course, but I'm happy enough to just read the comments I get, getting "First" comments is just a bother.

Reindeer likes this.
  11. Sircus

Sircus [Well-Known God]

Reading List:
    Link
    Ouch, looks like I hit a nerve ;p. I understand that not all TL work for money so in this case you should read it as said between 2 TL´s who DO work only for money. You do know that ANY comment generates money due to page refresh if there are ads on the site? Ads also pay more on websites with high visitor count. So if I do work for money I would love to see First comments.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2017
  12. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    If you are thinking only about TL that work for money, which is the great minority, then don't use "any translator" on your post. *shrugs*

And not really a nerve, just a tad bothersome to see people generalizing the minority of the community as if they were the norm.

Oh, and adsense pays per click btw, not views.

13. Reindeer

Reindeer RynDeeVuo

Reading List:
    Link
    Tho I don't hate it as much as other people, it does get into my nerves when the first thing I see in the comments is just someone saying "First!" with nothing else to it.

14. zloi medved

zloi medved Well-Known Green Tea Bitch

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't read comments, but as a larger thing, "first" comments always bothered me, maybe because I first saw them not on the comments of stories, but in other places like discussion threads of other forums? When you post a topic for discussion or asking people for their help/opinion and just get "first!" as a response. Okay buddy, congrats, but literally not relevant or helpful. "First" replies on stories is just an extension of that applied to a new context for me, so I automatically have an eyeroll when I accidentally scroll too far past the chapter and end up in the dreaded comments section. It's just a kneejerk reaction at this point.:blobsalt:

People are free to type what they want, and there are translators and writers who may be apathetic/happy to receive those comments. But for me, I think they're just a form of self-important self-indulgence. Whether or not you're the first to comment, does it matter? Any comment you give the author that praises their novel will be appreciated. I've gotten comments three years after posting things, and I love them just as much as responses within minutes. Any kind of acknowledgement of and response to my work is really uplifting. Competing for "first", and then not offering anything beyond that, just feels like you're just using a forum or comments section as a place to show off how speedy you are at commenting. People do this all over the place, it has nothing to do with being the first to comment on a new chapter, it's purely to be the first to comment, anywhere, over anything. Equating it to being "flattering because it's like people are rushing to see the new work" is wrong. It's more like equating it to "people rushing to be the first grab the newest edition of a free magazine, or just pamphlets on some new lawn mowing service, just because there's an opportunity to compete" to me.

I've seen people post "first!" posts, and then immediately quote themselves to be like "With that out of the way, this chapter..." and I think that's a pretty decent way to do it, because you're doing more than just trying to grab a meaningless prize. I think it's a happy medium between people who see it as flattery, and people who see it as bothersome.

:blobok:

MEGA SPARTA CHICKEN likes this.
  15. Raneday

Raneday Not Rane

Reading List:
    Link
    [​IMG]

MEGA SPARTA CHICKEN and elengee like this.
  16. Chrono Vlad

Chrono Vlad 『Banned From Drinking』

Reading List:
    Link
    Needs more Nepu!

Nepu > First :aww:

@GM_Rusaku knows what I'm talking about. :blobReach:

GM_Rusaku likes this.
  17. MrSplashy

MrSplashy Grey Knight

Reading List:
    Link