DKC, Far Far Spoilers and Translator Shifts/Poaching

Discussion in 'Novel Updates Site Discussion' started by Gilly, Nov 15, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gilly

Gilly Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Has anyone else seen this?

So, for those of you who don't follow The Demonic King Chases His Wife, The Rebellious Good for Nothing Miss (or DKC), a new translator randomly popped up yesterday and placed a chapter from the far future in the middle of an actively updated project. EDIT: After a detailed post from the translator, it is confirmed that this was not an act of translation poaching and was done with permission from the other translator. It was just a summary out of place, and a spoiler for current readers.

I won't pretend like I have a be-all-end-all solution to this problem, but it seems unfair to both the readers and the translators that someone can post spoilers from the far future and that they'd show up immediately, overriding the active translator's links and generally messing up the reading order. A lot of readers like me are totally against spoilers and translation poaching, which makes me wonder what we can do about this.

I also want to float my two suggestions for solving this, which is to create 'protected' spaces for actively updating translations which prevents unknown third parties from injecting their translations into the pot and only allows a list of active translators, and my second suggestion being that unless all previous chapters are included up to that point the chapters 200 pages later will be greyed out and won't show up in reading lists. This is not the first time that translations were not written in order (Re: Zero, Konjiki no Wordmaster, Mushoku Tensei) and I feel something should be implemented to prevent these oddities the next time.

Community discussion?

I tried to include the link to the page but it was marked as spam, just look it up on the Novelupdates search bar if you don't know it.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2016
    WeiFish, Blcktron and 99 others like this.
  2. ultrafunfun

ultrafunfun Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That guy is posting spoilers for some novels,and for DCK he reached chapter 3000+.
    And I don't know why he posted it now on NU lol,but i dont think this is taking ad revenue from others,because he is posting just summaries.
    So maybe he just wanted,like he said,to show us a bit from the future lol

Ikemen Sensei likes this.
  3. OverlyFriendly

OverlyFriendly I should do something about

Reading List:
    Link
    It's just something to supplement his summaries of the later chapters of what he thought was a turning/important moment.

Although it is a 'chapter' from it we can see he has no Ill intentions

Although it may confuse users I don't see a big problem about it personally.

It's just a few chapters :/
    It would be a bit of a problem however if he continued translating from there in the future
    Would be Too confusing @.@
    And bad for our beloved translator :/

Just my opinion though

Quote source
    ^^ Btw some spoilers of future chapters in there
    Be warned

4. Kuroguma

Kuroguma [Cyber Lich] [Aspie] [SOX][Forgotten Perv]

Reading List:
    Link
    Ah I found out of protectionism was born.

To play the @Satan 's advocat, alyschu does in no way own any right to the translation, the act of doing these fan translation is a borderline illegal(to my understanding).
    The only thing to do is for the marked(us the readers and perhaps more importantly the donators) to decide which translator to support.

5. Shio

Shio Moderator Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't think what the poster has done something wrong as they only posted summary. At the same time, NU doesn't list summary translation (several case of half translation half summary excluded)

polokoi likes this.
  6. LaDyViL

LaDyViL New Member Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    @Tony I guess...if you want those 'protected' spaces.

7. Hunta

Hunta shameless

Reading List:
    Link
    all this can be avoided if Tony made a new group (call it verified) and they can only post on the main page

Easiest

8. Gilly

Gilly Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm going to make myself clear here, I'm not sure if protected spaces are the way to go either-- only discussion will figure out the merits and demerits of an idea, and I want to have a discussion about this. I just figured having two possible solutions instead of just whining about something that displeased me would at least help to get the ball rolling.

@Hunta , what do you mean by 'verified' posts to front page? You mean that a translator gets looked over, and if they're cleared all of their stuff shows up? What would they be cleared of?

Also, I'm sorry if it sounds like I'm upset at whom I think is a poacher, I didn't read a single one of their posts because I'm scared of spoilers. Anyone brave enough to see what the chapter was about?

EDIT: Do not tell me what the chapter was about. That was bad phrasing. Just tell me if it was a summary chapter or a translation.

9. WeiFish

WeiFish Eccentric Grey Sword 『WW Vet.』

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah you can't link unless you have 15 messages. But this is terrible, they should be unable to be linked on NU and NUF anyway. :p Banned links to make sure none of us go there.

10. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    First one is undoable, too many series, too many translators, too many things to keep track, bad idea,too much work for too little people. Protected spaces are a bad idea overall.

As for the thing of graying out chapters 200+ ahead... I personally think it's unnecessary, user can just look at chapter number and decide for themselves if they want to or not to read it.
    And btw, I think this is a bad idea, don't make a thread to discuss something if you aren't even sure it is something true or not, before blaming someome of translation poaching, make sure to check the facts so that you won't raise an issue that is about nothing...

Considering what Shio just said a few posts above, it seems you just misunderstood their intention due to not reading...

11. Foxil

Foxil Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    To confirm, that chapter was indeed a translation, however I do not believe that the TLer did it to "poach" the project or with any other ill intentions.
    This is the first thing you will see in the chapter page.

"My DKC adventures are not over just yet
    Just something to supplement the summaries, at least until the translations catch up. To me it’s the turning point in their relationship where NL proves it’s not just an obsession, while SL is willing to fully trust him. Unfortunately the pacing is not as addictive so it might be a little dry for some but it’s probably just my skills as a translator =("

12. skitzafit

skitzafit Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It was not just a summary that the person posted this time but full chapters that are ~200 chapters in the future. If this was in continuity with where either the translation was or there summaries where it would be a bit less shady. But they have summarized up to the 3000 range of chapters. Which means they did not just come across this and say hey this is cool let me throw this up there, or hey let me crank out these next few chapters because I think people should read them now. These are event that typical readers still have a long way from getting to and the new poster long since spoiled/summarized for themselves and posted for no discernible reason.

13. polokoi

polokoi TVPropaganda

Reading List:
    Link
    It was unfair for the Autors since the begining and I don't really pity the Translators if another one suddenly Pops up and trys to steal the Projekt they tried to earn money from ILLEGALLY. Most of the autors don't even get a single Penny for translating their novels and maybe even do not know about their novels being translated.

14. dysry

dysry Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hi Gilly

As the alleged revenue poacher, I'd like to say a few words.

1. I have June's permission to go ahead and translate 20ish chapters that would supplement the summaries I've been providing. I do not intend to replace the translators or poach their readers, especially since this is a farewell gift to help wrap up my DKC obligations.

2. I have not, do not and will not receive ad revenue from my posts. If you visit the blog, you will find 'wordpress.com' as part of the address. This indicates that it's a free account and not a business/premium one. And if you've even looked at any of my posts, you'll also notice I don't actively harass readers for donations or even request for them to white list me on adblock.

3. Technically I did not randomly pop up. I have been providing summaries for DKC on NU since March, and I have also picked up a few series of my own (with permission from their previous translators of course).

Admittedly, it was a bad idea to upload the links onto NU since not everyone is fond of spoilers. However, the chapters I have scheduled will go ahead as planned. You are free to request NU to remove the links that are currently up, and I will not be on to upload links to the new posts anyway.

Of course if you are truly outraged and offended, you could always make the effort to not click on it.

nhanat, Shance, Westeller and 4 others like this.
  15. polokoi

polokoi TVPropaganda

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, you don't need to read it if you feel it spoils you. I personaly didn't read it YET but will in the future if I get curious but I will also read alyshus Version cuz there's a possibility that I will forget these Events and reading it again can help me refresh my memories.

16. Wizjim

Wizjim Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't really agree on protected space...

1. 1st, as mentioned by @Kuroguma, translator don't own the series.

2. if the protected space thing exists, then you'll have translators who will hog on novels. if the said translator really work on it (like alychu, ren, deathblade, voletare <- not sure if I spell it correctly) and do regular release, then you have no problem but if you have someone who take their own sweet time to translate yet don't allow others the help out due to protected space (basically abusing it) then you'll have a problem.

each of us have a choice to read the novel, personally if there are 2 translator doing the same chapter, I'll read both for 1st 10 chapters before deciding on one. then I'll just ignore it the other translator until my choice translator decided to drop it.

for the case of DKC, I'll just ignore new one, and wait for alychu's ( june's) version. (though I did click to see if it's the mistake one, like the monster factory case,cuz I ended up with a new novel :3)

17. polokoi

polokoi TVPropaganda

Reading List:
    Link
    @Shio @Parth37955 @Westeller @Casul Reader @somemod close the thread plox it was a misunderstanding

18. Wizjim

Wizjim Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    pls sticky @dysry's post in this tread so everyone will read it before creating another tread

19. Gilly

Gilly Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't think the conversation ends here. I'm glad you responded, @dsyry , and you have a lot of integrity for acknowledging the bad timing on your part. I'm sorry for the assumption of bad acting on my end, but that doesn't mean this issue is closed. You are not the first to post in a way that resembles poaching, and actual poaching has been done in the past, even if it wasn't by you. Also, I think that there should be clear ways to differentiate spoilers and summaries from actual chapters, and I'm not sure spoiler chapters should appear in my reading list feed. Again, sorry for assumptions on my part, but I'm still not sure we should have chapters 200 ahead from where the current translations are on the main post. Consider what will happen when Moon Bunny Cafe catches up? I don't want to have to dig back 20 pages to find your translations and open those before catching up with my reading list.

20. Ikemen Sensei

Ikemen Sensei Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I guess, a summary itself is just another point as a base to create discussion for this community, in general.
    Legally or not, oh cmon. Its not anyone own property either (except the author and the party involved)
    I'm deeply sorry for my bad english, and for this insensitive preception of mine. :oops:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.