Comments on Profile Post by MangoGuy

1. MangoGuy
    MangoGuy
    I got the I thingies by using junction rule.
    Then,use loop rule to get 4 eqns from 4 loops.You have 4 variables,so solve for them.
    May 23, 2017
  2. asriu
    asriu
    hmm so you continue it here ahahaha
    May 23, 2017
  3. asriu
    asriu
    actually just googling kirchof problem and solution you will get many example
    May 23, 2017
  4. MangoGuy
    MangoGuy
    I took left terminal to be 25V and right one to be 0V. That is the better way,as you get away from +ve and -ve thingy.In the end,the signs f unknown voltages will be taken care off by the eqn.
    May 23, 2017
  5. Mr Pancakes
    Mr Pancakes
    thanks dude, but what's confusing me the most is the part in the middle . how do I solve it ?. Do I add both the positive and the negative voltage in the equation or only one?
    May 23, 2017
  6. Mr Pancakes
    Mr Pancakes
    And what's the big loop?
    May 23, 2017
  7. MangoGuy
    MangoGuy
    @asriu I believe that having someone guide you personally is a better way. I am not sure whether pancake is the best at self learning. I might be wrong!! Plus..I like to complete things~~
    May 23, 2017
    Mr Pancakes likes this.
  8. MangoGuy
    MangoGuy
    @Mr Pancakes the big loop is made of 2R,17R,7R,6R,1R and 2R,including the 25V terminal.
    May 23, 2017
    Mr Pancakes likes this.
  9. Mr Pancakes
    Mr Pancakes
    I know but I need this for tomorrow and our professor didn't explain this type of problems, only the most basic ones
    May 23, 2017
  10. MangoGuy
    MangoGuy
    When u cant decide the sign of potential,forget the potential and focus on the currents.Assign a direction to them.If you get wrong direction,then the current value will be negative.Simple as that.
    May 23, 2017
  11. asriu
    asriu
    hmm oh well if you say so~
    I was encounter this problem long time ago~
    hmm too bad I only remember first step is to break down the circuit into easier diagram
    May 23, 2017
    MangoGuy likes this.
  12. MangoGuy
    MangoGuy
    @Mr Pancakes Idk..This is intermediate level. If your prof taught you to only use Potentials,then no problem.Essentially,there are 4 junctions with unknown potential.Call them V something something. Assume everything is positive and then apply the rules to get 4 eqns.If any of the V turns out to be negative,then there you go~~~ That is the opposite sign.
    May 23, 2017
  13. Mr Pancakes
    Mr Pancakes
    .In the middle part , would the formula have something like E1+E2(or v1+v2 depending on how you mark it) +I1R1... ?
    May 23, 2017
    MangoGuy likes this.
  14. MangoGuy
    MangoGuy
    @asriu that is actually a good method to solve,except it is not easy for this particular problem.I remember teaching similar problem 6 months back.It is not easy to restructure circuits after set number of junctions,and when the circuit components are numbers without patterns.Breaking this into smaller loops is the best method instead of changing thee shape of circuit.I have a feeling that is what you meant.
    May 23, 2017
  15. MangoGuy
    MangoGuy
    @Mr Pancakes yes. the I1R1 is negative sign,because resistance opposes current flow. So E1+E2-I1R1
    May 23, 2017
  16. Mr Pancakes
    Mr Pancakes
    This is the only method we learned (ie. E1+R1I1+...=0) so I dont know how to break them down
    May 23, 2017
  17. Mr Pancakes
    Mr Pancakes
    So both of them are positive ( E1 and E2) in this case. what would it be like if i had 2 sources next to r3 and r6 would they still add up or would it be E-E?
    May 23, 2017
  18. MangoGuy
    MangoGuy
    @Mr Pancakes you can still break them down.For left most loop,I think it looks like: E1-3(I3)+E2-2(I2)-2(I1)=25 as external voltage applied is 25.
    May 23, 2017
  19. Mr Pancakes
    Mr Pancakes
    what about the middle one?
    May 23, 2017
  20. Mr Pancakes
    Mr Pancakes
    and thanks for helping
    May 23, 2017
  21. MangoGuy
    MangoGuy
    @Mr Pancakes We ASSUME them to be positive,even though it is wrong.As a result,in the final answer one of them comes with a negative sign.Like you thought E1 and E2 and they are 2V and -3V in reality.Then solving the eqn gives you E1=2V and E2=-3V. If you ASSUMED them to be E1 and -E2,then you get E1=2 and E2=3V meaning -E2=-3V.
    May 23, 2017
    Mr Pancakes likes this.
  22. MangoGuy
    MangoGuy
    @Mr Pancakes I can see ur problem here.Even if you incorrectly assign the sign for a potential,as long as it is a variable the equation will give you the value of the variable which gives correct answer when paired with the wrong sign.Basically,believe in mathematical equations.
    May 23, 2017
    Mr Pancakes likes this.
  23. MangoGuy
    MangoGuy
    If that got you clean,then I will go to bed.Good Luck!!
    May 23, 2017
    Mr Pancakes likes this.
  24. Mr Pancakes
    Mr Pancakes
    Thanks. Good night
    May 23, 2017
    MangoGuy likes this.