Comments on Profile Post by Yukkuri Oniisan

1. Yukkuri Oniisan
  2. Yukkuri Oniisan
    Yukkuri Oniisan
    However, most studies have shown that dark characters on a light background are superior to light characters on a dark background (when the refresh rate is fairly high). For example, Bauer and Cavonius (1980) found that participants were 26% more accurate in reading text when they read it with dark characters on a light background.
    Jun 7, 2017
  3. Yukkuri Oniisan
    Yukkuri Oniisan
    Reference: Bauer, D., & Cavonius, C., R. (1980). Improving the legibility of visual display units through contrast reversal. In E. Grandjean, E. Vigliani (Eds.), Ergonomic Aspects of Visual Display Terminals (pp. 137-142). London: Taylor & Francis
    Jun 7, 2017
  4. Yukkuri Oniisan
    Yukkuri Oniisan
    People with astigmatism (aproximately 50% of the population) find it harder to read white text on black than black text on white. Part of this has to do with light levels:
    Jun 7, 2017
  5. Yukkuri Oniisan
    Yukkuri Oniisan
    with a bright display (white background) the iris closes a bit more, decreasing the effect of the “deformed” lens; with a dark display (black background) the iris opens to receive more light and the deformation of the lens creates a much fuzzier focus at the eye.
    Jun 7, 2017
  6. Yukkuri Oniisan
    Yukkuri Oniisan
    Also to reduce glare, increase ambient light. FE: Don't look at the bright monitor in a dim or dark room.
    Jun 7, 2017
  7. Yukkuri Oniisan
  8. Yukkuri Oniisan
    Yukkuri Oniisan
    The so-called White on Black is much better is just a placebo effect (it's better since I think it's better).
    Jun 7, 2017
  9. Heyu
    Heyu
    I have astigmatism and I can reply to your question, the matter here is hoy greyish the grey is..

I usually use the monitor on a profile with low bright to read..

But still, when I'm in my house with all light out (I'm somewhat a nocturnal animal and prefer the less ilumination possible...)

Then reading on white blackground feels like burning my retines
    Jun 7, 2017
    HikkiNEET likes this.
  10. Yukkuri Oniisan
  11. Heyu
    Heyu
    but you can choose mostly between dark or light theme on most webs, and the problem with greys is that what is enough grey for you, may not be enough grey for me
    Jun 7, 2017
  12. Heyu
    Heyu
    so in the end, you can fail with black background, While I would like to mention is that I prefer a clear grey over black background than white over black
    Jun 7, 2017
  13. Yukkuri Oniisan
    Yukkuri Oniisan
    Hence, I said: placebo effect.
    Studies had consistently showed that Positive Polarity (Black on white) are much better than Negative Polarity (White on Black).
    You hate light, since people with astigmatism tend to have heavy glare when they saw strong light, hence why you unconsciously avoid any strong light.
    Jun 7, 2017
    Poor_Hero likes this.
  14. Heyu
    Heyu
    That's study wasn't made on me, I read a lot while I';m sleepy in bed, and sometimes I just stop reading and doze off for a few minutes and then if I can't sleep, I said oh well, let's keep reading, but my eyes are super sensitive to the whites on the screen..
    Jun 7, 2017
  15. Yukkuri Oniisan
    Yukkuri Oniisan
    You read in a dark room, right? Is there any ambient light other than the screen?
    Jun 7, 2017
  16. Heyu
    Heyu
    no, there isn't
    Jun 7, 2017
  17. Heyu
    Heyu
    Jun 7, 2017
  18. Yukkuri Oniisan
    Yukkuri Oniisan
    That's why you feel the screen glare as heavy...
    Try this: Use a penlight or a torch. Shine yourself in a well-lit room and in a dark room. The penlight or torch will be felt brighter in the dark room than in a well-lit room.
    In the absence of ambient light, our eye became really sensitive to any light.
    Jun 7, 2017
    Poor_Hero likes this.
  19. Yukkuri Oniisan
    Yukkuri Oniisan
    @Heyu Don't play in the dark...
    Jun 7, 2017
    Trent likes this.
  20. Black Heart
    Black Heart
    So is it better to read white on black in a dark room??
    Jun 7, 2017
  21. Heyu
    Heyu
    I know, that's why I disclaimed that I'm use to read on dark ambients..

But that's why I like darker themes too.. and not even white over black, but greys over black
    Jun 7, 2017
  22. Yukkuri Oniisan
    Yukkuri Oniisan
    @Black Heart Nope. Dark on Grey. Dark on White could cause 'Halation' which is when the text 'bleed' on the background making the letters seems blurry. If screen light glare (due to low ambient light) bothers you. Use Grey on black, less halation, but it will strain your brain more (our brain is great at looking shadows in light, sadly not the reverse)
    Jun 7, 2017
    Heyu likes this.
  23. Heyu
    Heyu
    @Black Heart is not recommended to do anything on a pc in a dark room since it's bad for the eyes the fact than just the small area of the screen you are concentrating on is full of light while the rest of your surroundings are dark, but most people me included just keep doing the things the bad way..
    Jun 7, 2017
    CDLevit likes this.
  24. Yukkuri Oniisan
    Yukkuri Oniisan
    @Heyu At least the optometrist will be happy. More costumers means more money...
    Jun 7, 2017
  25. Heyu
    Heyu
    yup, but it's hard to change a more than half of your life habit of using a computer in a dark room..
    Jun 7, 2017
  26. Black Heart
    Black Heart
    I see...sadly night mode isnt like that...
    Jun 7, 2017
  27. Black Heart
    Black Heart
    And i will still do stuff in a dark room...im too used to it...
    Jun 7, 2017
  28. Trent
    Trent
    We wouldn't want Black Heart's neighbors to be able to see the human experiments going on in there, would we?
    Jun 7, 2017
  29. Black Heart
    Black Heart
    There are no neighbors...anymore.
    Jun 7, 2017
    Trent likes this.
  30. NZPIEFACE
    NZPIEFACE
    Cause reading in a dark room kills your eyes?
    People are more inclined to turn off the lights if they're reading something dark, after all.
    Jun 7, 2017
  31. nubdog
    nubdog
    really just go get a reading lamp or something , will save u the torture of wearing glasses later on
    Jun 7, 2017
  32. NZPIEFACE
    NZPIEFACE
    You speak as if everyone here doesn't already have them
    Jun 7, 2017
    Heyu likes this.
  33. nubdog
    nubdog
    Raises hands :) haha , you'll be surprised how many people just ignore stuff like that , just too lazy to get it
    Jun 7, 2017
  34. Heyu
    Heyu
    Right, @NZPIEFACE I agree, but I'm really curious of the actual numbers..
    Jun 7, 2017