Comments on Profile Post by Yukkuri Oniisan

1. Yukkuri Oniisan
    Yukkuri Oniisan
    The Dunning-Kruger effect, named after David Dunning and Justin Kruger of Cornell University, occurs where people fail to adequately assess their level of competence — or specifically, their incompetence — at a task and thus consider themselves much more competent than everyone else.
    Mar 20, 2016
  2. Yukkuri Oniisan
    Yukkuri Oniisan
    This lack of awareness is attributed to their lower level of competence robbing them of the ability to critically analyse their performance, leading to a significant overestimate of themselves.
    Mar 20, 2016
  3. Yukkuri Oniisan
    Yukkuri Oniisan
    The inverse also applies: competent people tend to underestimate their ability compared to others; this is known as impostor syndrome.
    Mar 20, 2016
  4. Yukkuri Oniisan
    Yukkuri Oniisan
    This is not terribly surprising and can be explained as a form of psychological projection: those who found the tasks easy (and thus scored highly) mistakenly thought that they would also be easy for others, whereby high achievers fail to recognise their talents as they think that others must be equally good.
    Mar 20, 2016
  5. Yukkuri Oniisan
    Yukkuri Oniisan
    Meanwhile, overestimation occurs, in part, because people who are unskilled in these domains suffer a dual burden: Not only do these people reach erroneous conclusions and make unfortunate choices, but their incompetence robs them of the metacognitive ability to realize it.
    Mar 20, 2016
  6. Yukkuri Oniisan
    Yukkuri Oniisan
    The effect can also be summarised by the phrase "a little knowledge is a dangerous thing." A small amount of knowledge can mislead a person into thinking that they're an expert because this small amount of knowledge isn't a well known fact.
    Mar 20, 2016
  7. Yukkuri Oniisan
    Yukkuri Oniisan
    In @Nimbus way of speaking: The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool.
    Mar 20, 2016
    Nimbus likes this.
  8. Little Dragon
    Little Dragon
    "All I know is that I know nothing."
    Mar 20, 2016
    Yukkuri Oniisan likes this.
  9. Yukkuri Oniisan
    Yukkuri Oniisan
    Other way to refer to Dunning-Kruger Effect

"ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge."

"people who don't know don't know that they don't know"

So you learn something right people? Lifelong learning... Now hit those books!
    Mar 20, 2016
    qzty and Little Dragon like this.
  10. Little Dragon
    Little Dragon
    I feel enlightened @Yukkuri Oniisan-sensei. So I've always viewed myself as fairly competent but maybe it's the Dunning-Kruger Effect or maybe I'm far more competent than I though and it's imposter syndrome? Although maybe I have a good grasp on my competence. How can I know. Yukkuri-sensei?
    Mar 20, 2016
  11. Faylord
    Faylord
    The more i know the more i know i am ignorant but that s what make learning enjoyable.
    Mar 20, 2016
  12. Yukkuri Oniisan
    Yukkuri Oniisan
    @Little Dragon To really know about if we really competent or not, could be known from our result. The easiest one is written test, the hardest one is from work/research paper. It is better to assume we don't know anything than otherwise, since it is Hubris
    Mar 21, 2016
  13. Yukkuri Oniisan
    Yukkuri Oniisan
    @Faylord Yes... That's why I can't stop opening new tab in Wikipedia and or internet articles... so much to learn.... (make sure the source is reliable though)
    Mar 21, 2016
    Faylord likes this.
  14. Little Dragon
    Little Dragon
    @Yukkuri Oniisan, I shall keep that in mind. Why do I feel like I am always learning things when I visit your profile?
    Mar 21, 2016