Comments on Profile Post by LaDyViL

1. raltzero
    raltzero
    They're actually alternate translations of the Chinese. They aren't wrong. However, if you feel that they ARE wrong, please do tell me which ones were the ones you felt were wrong. As a Chinese translator myself, in addition to having some Chinese background, I do know what I am doing.
    Sep 21, 2017
  2. LaDyViL
    LaDyViL
    Who used those versions of Titles?
    Sep 22, 2017
  3. raltzero
    raltzero
    No one. And don't write that the translator's title is 'official'. Unless it's a company like Qidian International or a website that has the contracts to the novels like WuxiaWorld, please don't write that whatever the translator translates it as is 'official'. I believe that adding alternative interpretations, which are correct, isn't harmful to the NU community.
    Sep 22, 2017
  4. raltzero
    raltzero
    In addition, some titles may be off and adding on additional interpretations doesn't hurt. I guess it's the translator's right to put whatever he feels is the title(e.g. Mai Kitsune Wife), but there should be the true translation of the novel. Perhaps 'ignorance is bliss', but sometimes the title may not be what the author intended it to be.
    Sep 22, 2017
  5. raltzero
    raltzero
    I agree that perhaps some of the title edits may not have been necessary, but they were, and will always be, alternate translations to the author's novel title, unless the author decides to change the title.
    Sep 22, 2017
  6. LaDyViL
    LaDyViL
    If it's not official or related in any way,then it is a readers'interpretation of them, even if you are a translator,if you are unrelated to the translation group, then what you are doing is as a reader, and rather than being under associated names, it is something you can discuss on the forum or you can discuss it with the original translator group to have it as associated
    Sep 22, 2017
  7. runsing
    runsing
    Let's start wih the box itself. it is called Associated Names (AN), not Alternate Translations for Titles (AT). Yeah, you're a translator, know chinese and all, but the ATs are not needed. sometimes you see vietnamese AN, but there were a lot of translation into Viet that makes it 'valid'. whereelse providing an AT for already existant english title (that is currently being used) is redundant.
    Sep 22, 2017
  8. runsing
    runsing
    Being correct, or alternate meaning of word is not the issue here, increasing the search result unnecessarily is.

titles are just titles, it it always been an interpretation of translator, or publisher, or author. but whether it is being used that is the point.
    Sep 22, 2017
  9. runsing
    runsing
    if there's a translation of the novel in other language, spanish, thai, korea, then it makes them an AN. ANs are not necessarily corect to the letter or meaning, AN is what the novel being called (currently, or before) in language other than the original.
    Sep 22, 2017
  10. raltzero
    raltzero
    Valid point and understood, runsing, yet my point about showing a form of respect still stands valid.

And as for LaDyViL, I was related to the group that was doing 'Sage Emperor(Sheng Wang)', so I put Saint King there.
    Sep 22, 2017
  11. runsing
    runsing
    sheng wang, yes. there was once or twice a novel submitted as duplicate to it, due to the submitter did not know it already exist. but that was before. it should lessen now that the ability to search using non-roman character being enabled recently
    Sep 22, 2017
  12. raltzero
    raltzero
    Sep 22, 2017
  13. LaDyViL
    LaDyViL
    Just to note, I was not referring to Sheng Wang.
    Sep 22, 2017
  14. raltzero
    raltzero
    Yes, I know.
    Sep 22, 2017
  15. raltzero
    raltzero
    Sheng Wang was just one that happened to be one that I edited AN for. It's just that one of the moderators didn't know that I used to be part of the group that translated it and thus deleted it.
    Sep 22, 2017
  16. runsing
    runsing
    it is a pity that ppl who works in 'fan' translation scene doesn't have a site dedicated to make a dossier of them. kind of like Linkedin, you know. all that experience and unable to be brought out to real-world as hard proof.
    Sep 22, 2017
  17. raltzero
    raltzero
    Some people do have jobs as translators, so 'fan' translations and 'fan' translators would be detrimental to their jobs. However, true, it's a shame that there isn't such a site.
    Sep 22, 2017
  18. raltzero
    raltzero
    On the other hand, it is exactly because it is 'fan' translations that it should be allowed that other people should be able to add titles to the AN list. It is exactly because that it is for other 'fans' that the 'fans' should be able to add alternate titles to series. So long as it isn't too outlandish, it should be fine.
    Sep 22, 2017
  19. raltzero
    raltzero
    No one posts 'fan' translations because they expect no one to read it. They get posted because the 'fan' translator expects someone to read it. Maybe one or two people, maybe more. Putting translations onto a website that can be accessed by the public means that the person expects people to use their site on some level.
    Sep 22, 2017
  20. runsing
    runsing
    this should be in your thread, imho.
    Sep 22, 2017
  21. raltzero
    raltzero
    Aye.
    Sep 22, 2017