Comments on Profile Post by SecondRate

1. Westeller
    Westeller
    Huh? I know that those aren't scribbles. I just can't read 'em.
    Give me a certificate, too~
    May 26, 2016
    SecondRate likes this.
  2. Pandamonic
    May 26, 2016
    SecondRate likes this.
  3. episod3ux
    episod3ux
    What's the case for medium and advanced ones?
    May 26, 2016
    SecondRate likes this.
  4. SecondRate
    SecondRate
    Havent done them yet. As it is, the introductory level, in all fairness, does give quiet a bit pinyin, but (almost) no characters.
    May 26, 2016
  5. episod3ux
    episod3ux
    How long it took for you to get the introductory one?
    May 26, 2016
    SecondRate likes this.
  6. Westeller
    Westeller
    Isn't that fairly useless? Pinyin isn't really chinese at all. If you aren't learning the characters, you really aren't learning ANY chinese. .. Unless you just want to speak it, I guess.
    May 26, 2016
    SecondRate likes this.
  7. SecondRate
    SecondRate
    The introductory consisted of 18 hours lessons, over a period of 2 months. I have started learning on my own though. And pinyin has its use...if you know the difference is tones and articulations it gets a bit easier to memorize. I mean there are tens of yi (if not hundreds). I dont mind the pinyin...but should have been together with char...
    May 26, 2016
    episod3ux likes this.
  8. episod3ux
    episod3ux
    Do you plan to start on next one?
    May 26, 2016
  9. SecondRate
    SecondRate
    I might...studying on your own is a challenge,but she is internationally certified tutor, so i might get a few tips and tricks...and o yess, if I can afford it. The hourly fee of the introductory was twice my hourly wage (fyi i am a full time employee of one of the biggest companies in my country with a msc degree, which should give you a illustration about the cost of studying chinese in my country).
    May 26, 2016
  10. episod3ux
    episod3ux
    I can see why you want to become a translator now.
    May 26, 2016
    SecondRate likes this.
  11. SecondRate
    SecondRate
    Actually, my gf has chinese blood (boys do everything for girls...sigh)..but yess, it can be profitable if both bussiness and "pleasure" coincede..
    May 26, 2016
    episod3ux likes this.
  12. episod3ux
    episod3ux
    wow man that's some dedication. I learned cooking so I can please my future wife, have yet to meet her tho.
    May 26, 2016
    SecondRate likes this.
  13. SecondRate
    SecondRate
    I dont know about future wife in my case. Even in this modern day and age racial differences is frowned upon in my family (in hers too). But that is nice. Cooking I learned for survival....when I moved to a different city for work....
    May 26, 2016
  14. episod3ux
    episod3ux
    Aye love is hard. *sigh* My parents won't involve but my last gf had really strict parents.
    Well it became a pleasant hobby over the years. Learned to bake which is one of the few things I still enjoy.
    I would like you but I hit the limit. Will come back tomorrow for it.
    May 26, 2016
    SecondRate likes this.
  15. Westeller
    Westeller
    If your gf knows chinese just practice with her...
    I bet she won't even charge you much for it.
    May 26, 2016
    SecondRate likes this.
  16. episod3ux
    episod3ux
    ^ Actually really good idea.
    @Westeller I like the way you think.
    May 26, 2016
  17. Westeller
    Westeller
    And wait. Did I read that right? 18 total hours for 2 months? If you're serious about studying chinese, then that's a ridiculously small amount of time to be spending on it. Try 3 hours.. every day.. for those 2 months. You'll be much better off.
    May 26, 2016
  18. episod3ux
    episod3ux
    From what I know DB said it will require like 2-3 years to get a good grasp around it, enough to read newspapers.
    May 26, 2016
  19. Westeller
    Westeller
    It WILL take 2~3 years if you don't spend time on it during those 2~3 years. You could study for half an hour every other day and get basically nowhere in three years. On the other hand, if you spend hours on end every day studying and practicing, it definitely won't take you that long. It's about frequency and consistency, and it's measured in hours spent, not "months" or "years." Those are vague words.
    May 26, 2016
    SecondRate likes this.
  20. SecondRate
    SecondRate
    She has never taken any interest in learning the language...and the course was 2 months, my own input at home is consistent. And i agree 2-3 years are needed, but you can speak and get by at basic level much quicker. Like evrything it depends on the person and the environment how much time he will need.
    May 26, 2016
  21. SecondRate
    SecondRate
    I practice speakin 1-2 sentence at the local chinese supermarkets..they have a good laugh at me, i learn from them xd
    May 26, 2016