Picked Up 绝世炼丹师 : 纨绔九小姐-Peerless Alchemist Master: Dandyism Ninth Miss

Discussion in 'Novel Pickup Request' started by HoneyBee349, Mar 21, 2017.

1. Dahlia

Dahlia Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Dun dun dun translator hunger games. Nah jk

I pinged Element and am now waiting for a reply.

The first release was only a few hours after I had checked the site. Few hours!!! This is a sign from the heavens that Element and I are clearly on the same wavelength, and that we were destined to translate this together. Jk, but if that does happen, then double the release speed? Yay?!

runsing likes this.
  2. Ruyi

Ruyi translator at CG

Reading List:
    Link
    Despite everything, I found an interesting new series through the existence of this thread. So kudos to that. :D

I hope you do pick another novel even if this one's taken @Dahlia, it was nice reading your translations. ^-^

Dahlia and runsing like this.
  3. HoneyBee349

HoneyBee349 Idk

Reading List:
    Link
    Well lest me say that I didn't know that someone has picked it, i published this book in 20-march-17 and the first chapter was out in 17-April-17
    So I will now mark it as 'pick up'

runsing likes this.
  4. HoneyBee349

HoneyBee349 Idk

Reading List:
    Link
    @Dahlia well they were fast, jajajaja
    But don't worry they will be another books so lucky!

5. Onelifeonelove

Onelifeonelove Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm glad it was picked up and I hope there's more of these novels posted on the pick up thread.

6. nacochip

nacochip Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    @Dahlia

I took at look at the stuff you posted up and it looks really good! Everything flowed well.

Dont feel so bad about the "poaching" thing. Just treat it as a freak accident lol. With the quality of your translations I'm sure you can easily find another series and put out some great work too.

I recommend not just limiting yourself to the requests here. Just go straight to the raw sites themselves and sift through them. It may be a little difficult since it's 100% Chinese, and if your Chinese is a little weak like mine you'll have some trouble, but you're going to have to start navigating through it at some point so why not now? Qidian.com is a good place to look at but all the other novel sites are good as well.

As someone new at translations as well (I started a month ago) who runs their own self-hosted site doing both at once can be pretty tough. You could also consider joining one of the various translation groups around, they should have some novels in need of translators as well. In fact, if you posted in the translator's corner section I'm sure you'd be flooded with invitations. That's what usually happens lol. I myself just went straight to starting my own site/group though :p

To end off, as a fellow new translator, welcome to NU! If you plan to build up your own self-host but need some help I can give advice. Otherwise, good luck with your future translation endeavours!

runsing and Dahlia like this.
  7. Dahlia

Dahlia Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Aw, thanks for your kind words and warm welcome ❤

I normally sift through Tieba, Baidu, Zhidao, Zhihui, Douban, Novelupdates, rankings, and ratings to find my next read. But I'm picky with what I read, and even pickier with what I translate. I swear I spend more time looking for a book to read, than actually reading it. Bless.

I'll take your advice and think about joining a translation group maybe. Hm, hm. Decisions, decisions.

Good luck with your translations too!

xnightdx, HoneyBee349 and runsing like this.
  8. HoneyBee349

HoneyBee349 Idk

Reading List:
    Link
    I understand your thoughts I'm picky reader too... is very very hard to find something to read..., so I too sift in many many websites, if I can find one I will go to whatch anime or read manga but well I'm
    Really picky with everything I like.... so trouble jaja

9. HoneyBee349

HoneyBee349 Idk

Reading List:
    Link
    I understand your thoughts I'm picky reader too... is very very hard to find something to read..., so I too sift in many many websites, if I can find one I will go to whatch anime or read manga but well I'm

10. HoneyBee349

HoneyBee349 Idk

Reading List:
    Link

11. Onelifeonelove

Onelifeonelove Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If you find anything good please please please post it up on the pick up request thread. I can't even find a good novel to read from any websites because I can't read Chinese. Even though I can use a site to translate that Chinese website into English, it's not even accurate or there's actually so little description, so half the time I don't even understand what the novel is about. All I can do is go to Novel Pickup Request thread to see if anyone have posted up new novels.

12. Dahlia

Dahlia Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Here are some genres
    novelrankings[dotcom]/qidian-ranking/categories/

Some more terms off the top of my head:
    爽文: smooth sailing. You won't see MC be tortured or suffer. The MC will be the one conquering his enemies, and not the other way around. It's just arc after arc of relishing in MC hacking down all who stand in his way.
    虐文:Tearjerkers fall in this category. Tend to be more melodramatic, and might have sad/tragic endings.
    小白文:Basic uncomplicated plot, writing is meh. The junk food equivalent of novels.
    正剧: If you want something more serious.
    舔文:Basically sweet fluffy romance
    宠文:Male lead spoils the female lead. Think Hidden Marriage, if you've read that.
    热血: action, makes your blood rush in excitement
    女强:strong female lead
    穿越:transmigration
    重生:reborn
    女扮男装:girl cross-dressing as a guy
    后宫:harem
    烂尾/太监:dropped by author. incomplete with no ending
    金手指: MC has special ability or cheat that no one else has.
    扮猪吃老虎:MC pretends to be weak / hides his true abilities. People who try to bully or mistreat him get a not-so-pleasant surprise when MC obliterates them.
    腹黑:MC is two-faced. Outwardly pleasant but deep down inside he's scheming like no other. Commonly translated as black bellied.

What you can try is take whatever genre/tag you like and search "[your genre/tag] + 小说推荐", then read through people's recommendations.

Or if you have an author you like, you can take a look at their other works.

Or you can look at rankings or ratings. For rankings, just look for "排行榜". Anything at the top is pretty solid. They generally appeal to the masses and are like the YA lit of Chinese webnovels.

For ratings, I'm not sure how to look at it online, but if you have the QQ app, each book will display ratings on a 10 point scale. You can also go on Qidian and look at their ratings, but I don't know why Qidian's sample size is just so much smaller. For example, with I Really am a Superstar, Qidian has 1936 ratings and the QQ app has 26197.

For published books, look at their Douban ratings. Anything 9.0+ should be good. Sometimes, you might be able to find those books online.

And yea, summaries suck. They aren't even summaries 99% of the time, so I barely even bother reading them.

If I come across something really good, I'll post a novel pickup request :)

Meri, pinkrainmi, Aeiru28 and 2 others like this.