LCD I’m Really Not The Demon God’s Lackey

Discussion in 'Latest Chapter Discussion' started by SerialBeggar, Dec 28, 2020.

1. SerialBeggar

SerialBeggar Hate your family? Got no friends? Gimme your stuff

Reading List:
    Link
    https://www.novelupdates.com/series/im-really-not-the-demon-gods-lackey/

I was a bit turned off from the title, but I'm glad that I gave it a shot. This novel is pretty amusing, using misunderstanding-type comedy. Unlike others of this genre, it's not slap-stick because both sides of the misunderstanding are totally unaware that it is occurring. So far it's a slow, slice of life story.

The MC is an avid reader and collector of books. He uses his transported to another world opportunity to take over a mysterious book store so he can live out his self taught amateur psychologist / life coach ambition by recommending books based on his conversations and observations of the customers.

This book shop has a cheat where the MC can pull any book from Earth from the back shelves. While the MC selects a perfectly mundane Earth book to recommend to his customer, unknown to him, the customer receives a completely different, magic book with an outlandish title. The customers usually suspect that even though the MC looks like an ordinary person, he's maybe a high tier mage with a strange hobby. As long as they play along, he might help them. Or else!

The MC is completely oblivious, of course. He just thinks his customers' somewhat odd reactions are because they're ashamed of their personal issues. Perfectly normal.

Like I said, pretty amusing.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2020
  2. KageTokage

KageTokage Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So far it seems better than I'm Really Not The Demon God. Just from their synopsis, the two stories sound similar. But the MC of I'm Really Not The Demon God is pretty braindead. He somehow has no clue about his powers or that supernatural things exist... HOW!? You have the power of a god (and are worshiped as one)! Your store became an eldritch horror because of the energy you subconsciously leak out! o_O

The two stories seemed similar at first glance, but I was happy that Demon God's Lackey's MC wasn't braindead. The guy knows supernatural phenomena exists, he just doesn't think he's been in contact with any (except one). Why does his bookstore have all these amazing books despite being just a normal guy? Because he made a "devil's deal" to own all the books in the world. The price he has to pay is quite reasonable too. It's pretty good!

Zone Q11, Bella94, TXHY and 1 other person like this.
  3. sanushilshad

sanushilshad Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You are correct. demon god's Lackey is far better than I'm really not the demon god

Zone Q11 and Bella94 like this.
  4. Psosm

Psosm Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The hunters setting seems to be the same as bloodborne's one, with the blood transfusion from beast and the beast mutation thing, the only difference is that it come from dream beast while bloodborne come from the old gods but it could be that the author just dont know the full lore of bloodborne.

What do you guys think, is this just blatant plagiarism or just "taking inspiration" I lean toward blatant plagiarism tbh but I might be biased considering how similar it is to I'm Really Not The Demon God not that I like it, I just loathe plagiarist in general. Its fine if this is a fanfic but that doesnt seem to be the case, well enjoy the novel lads I thoroughly lose all respect toward this author.

Edit: nvm its not plagiarism but damn the whole novel looks like plagiarism at first glance, sorry to spread this negativity, i'm too quick to judge it.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2021
    Zone Q11 and Bella94 like this.
  5. KageTokage

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm not really sure what the purpose of your post is, but go have fun? You do you.

6. AmethystCherry

AmethystCherry Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's not an amazing novel(hard to judge now) but it's good and really enjoyable, I'm so glad you recommended me this lol. Too bad there's only 18 chapters at the moment though ):

Zone Q11 likes this.
  7. checkman123

checkman123 [Nez] [The Bystander][RAWR FEAR ME]

Reading List:
    Link
    i wish this get update more frequently :(

kyoshijiro and KageTokage like this.
  8. KageTokage

Reading List:
    Link
    Me too. The chapters are way too short.

kyoshijiro and checkman123 like this.
  9. bozakir

bozakir Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This has a manhwa now. So far only one chapter.
    (edit: nothing got updated for two months, i guess it was a oneshot)

Last edited: Aug 12, 2021
    kyoshijiro likes this.
  10. SerialBeggar

SerialBeggar Hate your family? Got no friends? Gimme your stuff

Reading List:
    Link
  11. Gordon

Gordon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well they way the author handles the misunderstanding was rather well done. Though the MC still doubt the paranormal is still quite strange considering how he literal summoned the devil which open the door to another world.

Zone Q11 likes this.
  12. Nepuko

Nepuko 『Ultimate Senior』

Reading List:
    Link
    What I like about it is that it's not like the MC thinks that magic or extraordinary occurences are wholly unreal, he believes in them as he himself got in his situation through them, and also due to his communications with the Demon Lord(?).

But everything else he doesn't see lol. Well I hope that one day he does.

The translating pace though is really a shame. Kudos to the translator however, of course as the quality seems to be quite neat.

Bella94 likes this.
  13. BlackHoundXyn

BlackHoundXyn Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmmm... This is quite interesting. I love the MC's love for books and how he gives advices and all.

14. Cellan

Cellan Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    who is the main heroine? please tell me its knight gramps daughter and not the silver elf girl :/

15. Daoist Ghoul

Daoist Ghoul Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If you ask me, it should me the assistant girl Mu'en tho I am not so sure myself but I like her the most and would be better if she is the one. But there are a lot of women at the moment being Ji Zhixiu, Doris, Chapman Witch, the Snow Lady and Mu'en

16. ellype

ellype Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    the snow witch lady from boss lin’s dreams is the closest thing to a heroine this novel has. although imo they dont rlly have the typical dynamic between lovers, but its wholesome i like it.

either way, romance is probably the least relevant part of the story

lomenais, Bella94, TXHY and 1 other person like this.
  17. Muklas

Muklas Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Reading this novel expecting romance is pretty "what" in the first place.

Zone Q11, lomenais, chomer and 3 others like this.
  18. Daoist Ghoul

Daoist Ghoul Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    have you fully read the raws, till the very last chap ?

19. ellype

ellype Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    yep, i've finished reading the mtl

this is one of the rare cn novels where the author planned everything out from the very beginning and got to end the series on their own terms

Zone Q11, Bella94, Bielt and 3 others like this.
  20. Bachingchung

Bachingchung Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This is on my to read list, though it's still on stand by due to the slow TL speed. I kinda wished they swapped translators. I'm really not the Demon God TL speed is ridiculous.