LCD Rakuin no Monshou

Discussion in 'Latest Chapter Discussion' started by sithkazar, Sep 8, 2016.

1. sithkazar

sithkazar Professional Screw Up

Reading List:
    Link
    This is one of the most beautiful novels I have read. The last few days there have been a large influx of chapters and it would be nice to have a place to talk about them. Here is my review of the novel.

I asked the amazing translator of the recent chapters, Renuac, if he could translate one of the maps provided in the images and he did (woot!).
    The translated map was done by others, Dohma and Cthaeh.

[​IMG]

The chapter four map is mostly the same, but has two new cities:
    • Dairan (ダイラン) (Northern Ende)
    • the one at the end of the river might be Zaim (confirmed from translator, it is Zaim)

[​IMG]

There is also a different map for chapter five. This appears to be a close up of the area around the lake (probably Lake Soma) on the left edge of the previous maps.

The translator provided the names and I attempted to edit the image. This was my first attempt and I don't think its bad. Let me know if there is anything that needs to be fixed.

T_Map_5.jpeg
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 15, 2017
    iWH1te, Nieverto and renuac like this.
  2. MangoGuy

MangoGuy Rambling Mango

Reading List:
    Link
    Wasnt this posted like just yesterday or something? Currently reading it and so far, it seem to be a good read. I am still in the first volume but it has potential.

3. sithkazar

Reading List:
    Link
    I posted the review yesterday, but there was no chapter discussion post so I went ahead and made a new one to link to the light novel page. The previous post wasn't in the correct forum to make it a LCD post.

4. f.m.

f.m. Great Unambitious Eccentric

Reading List:
    Link
    i read the first 2 volume about 3 years ago.... after that it stuck at early vol3..... i waited 3 years.... finally....

Littledragonlady and MukuruA like this.
  5. Midnight2010

Midnight2010 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    GOD mercy,just hope it doesn't go on a hiatus again.The novel seems awesome,the mc seems awesome,yet I don't want to wait 3 years between updates.Pray to consistent updates again!

6. Hien

Hien Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yup this one is good. I just read up to vol 2 back then and translation goea hiatus and here i am saw such flood from vol.2 goes up to vol.5.
    So is someone already read it till latest chapt?
    Spoil me bit, is princess still doesn't know that orba is her husband?

Littledragonlady likes this.
  7. sithkazar

Reading List:
    Link
    I have read up to the current translation. The series is 12 volumes, with the first arc ending with volume four. Volume five is the start of the new arc.
    No, she does do not know. She is not in volume five at all. the author made a note at the end to not worry, she will be back

8. Bearcat

Bearcat Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    OP, I just picked this novel up and have made it to Vol. 2. It's pretty good so far, but I'm confused about the reasoning behind two things.

And that is:
    1) Why is Orba afraid to unleash his sword skills as Prince Gil instead of putting his mask on every time?
    -I understand that it's a dangerous game he's playing by standing in as a double, but by volume two we already learn enough to know that he understands that Fedom and his mage or w/e are the only ones aware of his identity. Couldn't he just "pick up" sword training and then slowly merge the two personas together in a few months time? I guess I just don't see the purpose behind having to maintain his position as a dandy prince, all the while the poor princess is beating her head against the wall over how stupid he is.

2) On that note, why doesn't anyone try to nudge Orba and tell him, "Hey, this is how you're supposed to act with girls," or, "Hey, she was really trying to say... this." In life, we are usually surrounded by people that help teach us things, consciously or unconsciously. Here, he seems woefully isolated and ignorant, like the guys around him are afraid to hit him with a bit of truth when he needs it. What's the author's intent by leaving his dense in this area, I guess is my question? I've seen this style other types of novels as well and I'm curious about the 'why' behind the usage.

9. axx

axx Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    1) There's no reason to cast suspicion on himself by becoming a sword expert. He can act as "Orba the gladiator" when he has to fight, so there's no reason for "Gil" to stand out there. And he doesn't particularly care about Vileena, yet. They're not hostile, but he can't afford to be friendly.
    That said, in later volumes he handles his role as Gil less cautiously.

2) Orba is a peasant turned slave turned gladiator turned (fake)Prince, devoting all his life to bloodshed and hatred. It'd be much odder if he could handle a royal princess properly. His friends are also all mercenaries, so no help there. Also refers back to point 1.

The main criticism I have with the story is with Vileena. She doesn't really have a role to complement Orba. The major area he's lacking in would be politics and court intrigue, but Vileena is a tomboy foreigner princess, so she's also an outsider to that arena. I think that's why the bad guy in vol2 had to hijack a ship, so she could pilot another one to stay relevant. Then at Apta she was irrelevant. Hopefully in 7~8 she gets written a little better.

Bearcat likes this.
  10. sithkazar

Reading List:
    Link
    I am no expert, but this is my guess:

1) I think the main thing working against him is time. Its been a long time since I have read volumes one and two, but I remember that things happened very quickly. If given enough time he could start taking sword lessons maybe and slowly change the image of the prince. There is no second chance with this though, he can not risk making people suspicious.

2) It really isn't strange that none of the guys around him would be able to tell him how to act around her. She isn't just a girl. She is a foreign Princess that is more headstrong and tomboyish then normal. This is very much a class system. Knowledge and behavior was very restricted according to what class you grew up in. The way he keeps his distance from her is a way to survive in a situation where one mistake could lead to political troubles or him getting found out.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2016
    Bearcat likes this.
  11. sithkazar

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm reading the latest volume six chapters. Since I know not everyone is up to the latest I'm going to put my thoughts as a spoiler.
    I just want to say how I love that what makes Garda so powerful and able to sweep through all these cities so quickly is communication. It seems as though he can use magic to talk with his servants over great distances, something completely unimaginable for others. Something we completely take for granted now, but is a huge advantage when only one side in a war has it.

Hien likes this.
  12. axx

axx Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If the war was fought somewhat conventionally, I'd agree, but all Garda's fights involve collaborators, including magically brainwashed princesses, who sabotage the city somehow and let Garda's armies just stroll in. You could argue instant communication lets his plans proceed smoother, but Garda has the ability to walk into the palace and slaughter the royal family before his armies even arrive. I don't think sending messengers by horse would've slowed him down too much.

13. Bearcat

Bearcat Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That does make more sense. From what y'all have pointed out, I wasn't emulating his point of view very well. Thanks!

14. sithkazar

Reading List:
    Link
    But the instant communication is also key to that. A lot of these cities are on high alert and locked down. Like with how Ravan Dol locked down Taúlia and kept close watch on those entering and leaving the city. They are being very careful now that they know Garda is coming and are watching out for spies and traitors. The fact that he can tell the spies when to move and that they can tell him what is going on without the messenger is key. I would guess that that the messengers are what normally would get the spy caught. Also without good communication, the spy/rebel can't collaborate with the forces on the outside.

Also, it seems that he mostly has been able to push people that where ambitious and wanted to cease power in their cities into rebellion. I know he was able to use magic to manipulate the princesses and the Kadyne princess opened the gate while sleepwalking. Maybe there was nobody with the ambition to rebel there?

15. patcan3609

patcan3609 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ive finished reading all 12 volumes and i got to say that i really love the character development of Orba and Vileena as they search their own way of fighting.

sithkazar likes this.
  16. sithkazar

Reading List:
    Link
    That is great to hear. I was hoping that would be the case.

This is totally random, but I think one of the reasons that the story appeals to me so much is that I find it very similar to one of my favorite anime, Mobile Suit Gundam Wing. I mean obviously without the giant mecha suits, but the tone, political plots, and military strategy is very similar.

Plus Orba reminds me a lot of Heero Yuy and Vileena even sounds similar to Relena.

17. patcan3609

Reading List:
    Link
    I find Orba and Vileena a lot more interesting though as Heero never seemed to attract me the way Orba do. Orba really shows to struggle as he faces the death of his companions and the understanding that there indeed good monarchs and nobles.

sithkazar likes this.
  18. sithkazar

Reading List:
    Link
    I agree, Heero is already pretty much given up on life by the time we meet him. I mean, he tries to commit suicide in the first episode. He doesn't hold his life with any value from the beginning, while Orba has a fierce desire to live. It isn't until chapter 4 - 6 that he struggles with that.

19. patcan3609

Reading List:
    Link
    I dont really find Relena that interesting either, probably because we dont get much insight on how she feels since its a anime

Littledragonlady likes this.
  20. Littledragonlady

Littledragonlady The last member of Ancient Tomb Sect

Reading List:
    Link
    Answer to point one
    Gil as a dandy prince has his own role to play. He is the only prince, so his position as heir is secure, at least until...
    the traitoruos queen is pregnant
    so orba has no need to show gil's capability at all. In fact, the deeper he hides, the more secure he is Second, at the start of the story, he drew a clear line between his two identities because he is sure that he doesn't want to be the prince. When he
    returns from death... I mean retake his role as crown prince
    he has found his life direction, that is: to become the next king
    that is when he reveal his abilities... By
    leading his own army to charge

The princess did her own homework, and
    she realized that orba and gil is one and the same by the last arch.
    thats why i like her so much...!

And oh, the proposal!!! The proposal! Wait for it and see if you melt <3