LCD Return of the Swallow

Discussion in 'Latest Chapter Discussion' started by etvolare, Feb 24, 2018.

1. etvolare

etvolare Celestial Fluff

Reading List:
    Link
    I GET TO INAUGURATE THE LCD OF MY FAVORITE 2017 WEBNOVEL?!

*takes a deep breath in*

You you and you! If you haven't read ROS yet, *lays out a trail of cookies* gooooo! But seriously, I love this novel so much because the MC Qin Yining is a smart, gutsy girl who will b*tch slap the idiots making trouble for her, and really uses her brain. She doesn’t rely on a cheat, amazing treasure, modern knowledge from transmigration, or a man. Bonus? Noooo. Filler!! Each chapter is very meaty and dense.

If anyone's confused about the names, especially the two main girls who've popped up a lot, I do: Qin Yining = Y for Yay MC. Qin Huining = H for (shameless) hussy. XD Okay, "The Slap" was so satisfying, and I can't wait to share the maid smackdown with everyone!

Favorite parts so far? Least favorite parts?

[edit] Come read here! https://www.volarenovels.com/novel/return-of-the-swallow/

Last edited: Jun 27, 2019
    Varsha0907, Nepuko, Lianna and 3 others like this.
  2. Strategist14

Strategist14 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Favorite Part: Stalker Prince
    Least Favorite Part: Hussy Huining

3. MangoGuy

MangoGuy Rambling Mango

Reading List:
    Link
    Then what is her MO? I hope it is not a certain armor

4. namige

namige Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Favourite part: Adore everything in the first 10 chapters. The writing and translation are wonderful. Thank you etvolare!!!
    Least favourite part: The Mother...

5. bibi

bibi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Only I find it strange that nobody even wondered about the identity of the fake sister? Someone planned to change the daughter of a minister and throw her in the middle of the road. It's not like there's a problem with hospital employees ...
    And I have the impression that she already knows who her parents are, or she will know before all and betray the adoptive family.

6. IamSweetPotato

IamSweetPotato Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    -follows the trail of cookies-
    -falls into a hole-
    -dials the 911 for a rescue, but there is no signal-
    Welp!

7. etvolare

etvolare Celestial Fluff

Reading List:
    Link
    *lays out more cookies*

Favorite part currently: The duchess. I literally lol'ed at one point because of the duchess.
    Least favorite after ch 12... née Sun. *smacks*

Very good question. I think most people are under the assumption that she's just some random peasant brat. It's not like anyone's been in touch with her over the years to turn her into a sleeper agent, given how sheltered she is.

Oh and, this is ancient China. Most people gave birth at home, and with a noble family like this, there's crap tons of servants running in and out, all a-fluster the day of. It's really easy for someone new to slip in during the chaos.

broodingcat and bibi like this.
  8. redplatform_

redplatform_ Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So far, it's being observant, learn from her enemies, be a good actor.

I was surprised to see cornbread in Chapter 24, then I remembered these novels either don't care that much about anachronisms, or this is just a different time or world.

Also, I have to admit, a fetching maid through me for a loop. I actually thought you were saying a pretty maid had shown up.

9. bibi

bibi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Does anybody besides me feel sorry for the false sister?
    She didn't ask to be changed at birth or asked to be spoiled by the rich family. And now she's having a quarrel she never imagined she would have to face.

10. broodingcat

broodingcat Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's my absolute favourite right now, tied with Malicious Empress of Military Lineage and Princess Wei-Yang.

Patiently waiting for some romance to happen right now...

mr.tanen likes this.
  11. etvolare

etvolare Celestial Fluff

Reading List:
    Link
    Actually! Cornbread is just bread made out of corn, no? It threw me for a loop too because I thought it was a purely Western food, but then I suppose throughout the ancient China's 3000 years of history, it's reasonable that some version of bread with corn would've developed. One thing I really like about this author is that she does her research, so it's unlikely that anachronisms will appear.

Fetching maid... I probably did mean pretty maid. ...??

I felt sorry for her in the beginning too. And then.... XD

Not much longer to wait~

mr.tanen, miko_ and BScythe like this.
  12. redplatform_

redplatform_ Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Corn is specifically from the New World, like tomatoes and certain other fruits and vegetables. It would've only entered China in the last 400-500 years. There's no way it would've appears 1000 or 3000 years ago. That's why I wondered if it was an anachronism. I have no idea what time period this takes place in, or if it even matters.

13. etvolare

etvolare Celestial Fluff

Reading List:
    Link
    Oho! Didn't know that about corn. I think... I think this takes place later on because Qin Yining actually references "ancient" figures in history (you'll see soon). *scratches head* Really good point though, but it definitely is cornbread. Maybe I could refine as corn flatbread.......... but nice point there!

14. bibi

bibi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    is cornbread this wotou?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wotou
    I don't remember, in this novel is mentioned some specific dynasty? Because this mean that either the author made a mistake (and everybody can make one or two history mistakes), or just discovered that we are in Qing!

15. Arcturus

Arcturus Cat, Hidden Sith Lord

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmmm. Tbh I've found it difficult to sympathize with Tang Meng and the death of her family. It's not like the punishment was unjust. The father tried to assassinate the empress, this is the natural, logical, and just result. Just because she was bad for the country, doesn't mean the outcome isn't correct. The same thing would've happened if the doctor had succeeded.

And so much for the Priestess being a great individual. She gave them a pill so they could do it in her own shrine. Sounds like an immoral person to me.

Edit: Also not a fan of the ML. Stalking is abnormal and weird and I frankly don't understand why people like it in an ML. Would you like it some stranger stalked you? I thought so.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
  16. Arcturus

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmmmm. I kinda do feel that Nee-sun has a point here. In fact, the Dowager's place was where Huining moved in once the MC had returned, not in with her own mother.

I actually think the old dowager is probably the most annoying character in the story so far. The ML is annoying with his stalker-ness. Huining is a caricature of a human being and so is the entire plot surrounding her. And Nee-sun at least is honest and bold, even if she's an idiot.

But the Dowager is a hypocrite and honestly, I can't seem to find a redeeming quality in her.

17. Parth37955

Parth37955 NU #3, [Dead Inside], Mid-Boss, Dark Dealer Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Pretty much. Nee sun remains steadfast. Dowager is biased asf. It was both of them that resulted in huining. They even tried to take a swipe at Duke of ding for how huining turned out. She does not want to see the issues with herself, much like nee sun.

18. Arcturus

Reading List:
    Link
    .......Um, yeah there is. Bullying a bully in response isn't how modern societies operate, you know (at least when it's functioning ideally), and modern society is far more logical than some pseudo-ancient China.

And regardless of that line, Jin-mama has way too high of an opinion of the power/wealth that Huining has in the household right now. She couldn't send Cai-mama a copper even if she wanted to. It's not like she tried to get Cai-mama thrown out of the mansion or purposefully tried to have her take the full fall. Huining is just an idiot who is a caricature of a humen being who basically can't think anything through.

19. Parth37955

Parth37955 NU #3, [Dead Inside], Mid-Boss, Dark Dealer Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    eh, all the children probably receive an allowance. though I do agree with you, that this was most like an unconscious decision. She's too stuck in a cycle of anger and self-pity to care for anyone other than herself.

edit: nvm, she don't give a shit:

Last edited: May 1, 2018
  20. Arcturus

Reading List:
    Link
    Think about it this way: Can Huining leave the estate freely? No. With her reputation and status the way it is in the household, is it likely servants would even listen to her if she asked them to give money to someone outside? No, they'd just pocket it, since no one fears or respects Huining anymore (It's the same thing as how Yining was viewed before, where her servants stole her stuff). The only way she'd likely be successful is if she gave the money to Jin-mama and frankly Huining isn't smart enough to think that through to do that.

Now would she do it if she did have the opportunity too? No, probably not, since she is incredibly self-centered to a ridiculous degree in the story. But, frankly, it'd have been very difficult to impossible for her to do so in her current circumstances.

Shadowsan likes this.