LCD Spare Me, Great Lord!

Discussion in 'Latest Chapter Discussion' started by strixflash, May 3, 2018.

1. strixflash

strixflash Dao Seeker!

Reading List:
    Link
    NU Page
    Official Translations

(QI translators are idiots. Correct name of novel: Spare Me, Great King).

One of the most popular novel in China. Currently in top 3 on Chinese Qidian.

The story is about a world undergoing mutation and our hero has a system. It's different from other system novels.

The bad part is that the translators aren't exactly reliable when it comes to quality from what I have seen with their previous work. The title is more like "Great King" instead of "Great Lord". In fact author uses spiritual energy or qi. The translator even left the city name and many locations in pinyin.

The best part (and reason for its popularity) about this novel is that the author uses a lot of play on words (more of tweaking Chinese sayings/phrases). So unless the translator is really good English readers can't have the full fun.

Just to clarify the translations are good and totally readable. Just not as good as the novel deserves seeing its standing.

Last edited: May 3, 2018
    shunheng and Anie like this.
  2. replay

replay ★Milk and Honey smelling Merchant★

Reading List:
    Link
    well. . .
    i'm pretty sure it will be really. . .
    as in really . . .
    really be hard for them to do this one. . .

3. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    pun is hard to translate
    prepare for bunch of TL note

Indiboy likes this.
  4. strixflash

strixflash Dao Seeker!

Reading List:
    Link
    Not really a spoiler but I really loved how in future chapters author actually wrote about the agony parents suffer when their child start cultivation as cultivation path is full of life threatening risks. I actually appreciate how author didn't forget such an important detail. Most novels ignore this point.

5. Diato

Diato Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This novel needs a better translator

6. alamptr

alamptr What should i put here

Reading List:
    Link
    Lol, the first post in lcd thread is bashing the translator.

What a nice thing to do

Ddraig, nick1mname, otaku31 and 3 others like this.
  7. OneNameVillain

OneNameVillain [One Who Faced And Became What Should Not Be]

Reading List:
    Link
    Qidian bashing is custom 'round these parts. You got a problem with that?

8. Raidou99

Raidou99 [The Forgotten]

Reading List:
    Link
    Is the qi translation not up to mark?... I was thinking about reading it...

9. Astaroth

Astaroth empty

Reading List:
    Link
    Just for the record, Strix is definitely not some wuxiaworld fanboy or anything, he's just being brutally honest.

He was one of the guys that people used to call QI spy, shill, and such when the QI vs WW drama was going strong for being more impartial...

Anyway, for the actual novel, I guess I'll be checking it out some time in the future. If it's decent enough, it should at least have a decent or above average TL speed as that's the QI priority kinda.

Unfortunate when the TL sucks so you can't read, but well, it's not like anyone would have read it without the TL either. So hit or miss, if it's a hit, it can only really be a good thing or nothing different from before.

It's not like QI would let anyone else TL it anyway (As unfortunate as that is)

strixflash likes this.
  10. strixflash

strixflash Dao Seeker!

Reading List:
    Link
    Just to clarify the translations are good. So you can definitely read them. I'm just saying they are not as good as the novel deserves seeing its popularity. The novel deserves a quality level of Deathblade, RWX,CKtalon, etc.

But now we are getting GGP level quality which is a terrible thing according to me as the author does magic on Chinese sayings/phrases.

11. Lantyne

Lantyne [Apathetic Syndrome Stage 5] [Incurable] [Doom]

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmm.. was just thinking if i should pick it up...well my english is only so-so anyway. Might as well getting lost in it. Presumably it wont be that bad...

12. tstobe

tstobe Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm curious. I want to read it but don't know if it has any romance in it?

13. Drake98

Drake98 Concerned Fan

Reading List:
    Link
    Dropping this novel now...
    I got iras for face-macking

14. FHandsome

FHandsome Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I really like this one, MC nonchalant about everything' and only care about his sister.

The comedy more natural and the story really fresh.

15. Monkey King Sun

Monkey King Sun Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
  16. Darkmek

Darkmek Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Did MC learn sword art from Li Xianyi?

17. bonifide

bonifide Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I might try this out. I got see how my God Level Demon fans view this novel.

Ive read some chapters put it on hold for now might drop it. I'm not sure yet. He's really trying to make this a modern God Level Demon with metas.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2018
  18. jacobpaige

jacobpaige Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    C4: He forgot the bread...

I wonder if the items in his shop are only usable by him. If not, I wonder if he'll give any to his sister.

Also curious if he can get income from inducing positive emotions too.

Regardless, he should get the internet as soon as possible. Earning a steady income by being an internet troll would be super easy.

C5: I truly hate lotteries in these series. They're usually synonymous with lazy writing.

C7: Why did his sister not comment on him singing Twinkle Twinkle Little Star? It doesn't seem like her at all.

C8: I'm not sure telling her is a good idea. I'm not sure she'd be able to keep the secret.

C9: lol. He's being too much of an a**hole here. He should at least let the guy stand up.

C11: It'd be really nice if the lottery got more expensive every time he played. That way, maybe the author wouldn't rely on that particular crutch quite so much.

That aside, he should just buy one fruit, find out what it does, then decide what to do with the rest of his points.

C13: He should just find an internet forum dedicated to a particular hobby and start a war. Any anime forum would do. Just start a "Best Waifu" debate and rake in points until people run out of steam. Though obviously, picking a forum dedicated to a topic he actually knew something about would work better. He could also learn how to DDoS and get crap tons of points from that, though that's a lot riskier since it's illegal.

C16: Does his phone not have internet access? If it does, then he really needs to use his brain a bit more.

C19: lol. It looks like Yu Li was cheating on his homework before ;)

I wonder if the author is aware of just how expensive apartments and homes that are near a school actually are. There are none that I know that are as cheap as is being portrayed here, especially not single story ones with a courtyard, even after accounting for the lack of certain utilities.

C21: lol. He sure did benefit a lot from tossing out that one line ;)

C22: He could always claim a phobia of needles, but I doubt it would work.

C24: Well, I'm glad he can share it with her. On the downside, that could easily make him a target, so he should definitely not even think of selling them until he's at least C class, but probably not even then.

C25: He should take his sister to get tested so that she can quickly fail the test. That way, when he feeds her a bunch of Refesher Fruits and unlocks her metahuman ability, she'll be able to hide it for longer.

C27: As funny as this is, he really is thinking too small. There's a whole wide world of people out there for him to annoy via the internet, and he's completely ignoring all of them.

C29: There school is a good school? Then how is there a slum right next to it? Developing that land would be worth a fortune. Even undeveloped, the rents shouldn't be so low that the MC could afford them.

C30: "You guys... are too generous!" I wish I knew if he actually said this or just thought it. It would have a major impact on how funny it was. I don't know why so few translators bother to make a distinction between the two.

C31: "As long as you stay alive, good things will definitely find their way...to others." lol. So true.

I have a feeling that if they start handing out super hero names, his will be Lightning Rod... ;)

C34: I wonder if all items are added to the shop in the same way.

He should just spend the rest of his points on refresher fruits for her so that her abilities can awaken. No reason to wait after all, and this way, he won't have to regret not having done it when he gets his next losing streak in the lottery.

C36: He should have told her that they expire after six hours, just in case she decided to try to save one for later.

C37: "this was because the students lacked discipline " No. It's because schools don't teach conflict resolution, mass media glorifies violence as the solution to all conflicts, and parents mostly leave education to schools, mass media and peer pressure. As a result, many students simply don't know any way to resolve their problems other than violence.

Every time he gets excited about irritating small groups of people, it just reminds me that he's still not remembered that the internet exists.

C38: "Lu Shu, however, did not fulfill these criteria." He did though? He was top of the class in grades.

C40: Well, what did he expect? He'd only eaten like two fruits at the time they took his blood. If they tested him now, it'd probably be much higher.

C43: "if he awakened because of this, Lu Shu would not be able to torture him anymore..." lol.

C45: lol. I really thought that tofu would be something special too ;)

Well, I'd still consider replacing "nothing" with "something" to be a major upgrade for the lottery. It's also quite a cheap way to get food, which is super important for him.

That aside, I wonder if the reason he's only getting tofu is that the lottery doesn't have anything else, and won't have anything else until his power level increases.

Didn't she make a request for clothes in chapter 1? I remember him using it against her when she requested hawthorn candies.

C50: Gee. Things started seventeen years ago. The MC is seventeen years old. I wonder (not really) if they're connected.

C52: rofl. Poor Zhi Wei XD

C53: Wasn't expecting that. I wonder if she got added to the system because he gave her the fruits. Also wondering if she'll get registered and join him at school. I'm honestly not sure that it would be a good idea for her since the the government might try to seize control of her due to her being an underaged orphan with A-tier talent.

C54: lol. I'm guessing she likes to sleep with her head under her pillow ;)

I wonder if her power is linked to his. That is to say, when his power increases, so does hers.

C56: Why doesn't the old guy just approach his sister instead? She's quite similar to her brother, and unlike him, she's not busy with work and school from 7AM to 10PM M-F.

C61: If he knows the sister is also tier A, then why hasn't he approached her? Is he worried that he might scare them both off or something?

C62: He should disregard the possibility of metahuman traffickers so easily. After all, if they specialize is trafficking fellow metahumans, then the money might really be worth it, especially for those without much aptitude and/or those with criminal records.

lol. That poor couple XD

C64: I really wish the author would stop complimenting himself so much.

Also, how is he planning to explain his lack of waves?

C65: Why does he want to stay in that class so much? He has no use for their training methods. He doesn't want to join their organization. His official aptitude is so low that they're not likely to care even if he quits. What's the point in staying?

C66: "Having tier F aptitude was the most common amongst the metahumans just as Xi Fei had mentioned." No it wasn't. Rank F was just as rare as rank B. I remember it clearly.

How is creating and selling home testing kits unscrupulous? It's not hurting anyone, and it's actually stopping people from doing something much more dangerous like trying to make their own home testing kits with inadequate knowledge of the dangers.

I thought he'd play with him more by just holding his hand still ;)

C67: "If not for arm-wrestling with you, I would not have awakened!" lol. He's a cruel b*****d XD

C70: I can't tell which this author loves more: freedom or a police state that completely stifles freedom until it dies a swift, but agonizing death.

C73: "Judging from their conversation, it seemed like… Li Xianyi was someone who had equal standing as a Heavenly King!" How did he come to that conclusion? From what Nie Ting said, his standing was clearly the lower of the two.

C74: "The first and second star can both be lighted up with just one celestial fruit." How does she still not realize how he's staying ahead of her if she knows about the fruits and has seen how many he eats?

I wonder what it's going to take for the lottery to have something other than tofu in it. Also curious what he plans to do if the lottery ever stops producing tofu.

C76: "The passerby was bewildered. Were you waiting here just to tease me?!" lol. I wonder how many points he'd generate if he knew the answer was yes? ;)

C76: It seems more likely that Li Xianyi is blaming him for inflicting Lu Xiaoyu on him.

C80: "What if he gets electrocuted?" lol.

C81: "only sold 50 servings a week had spread!" Wasn't it 50 per day? I'm quite certain it was.

"and to kill him no matter what!" :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

C82: Why is he only thinking about the cost of the phone? The service is always far more expensive than the phone.

C85: He should file off the serial numbers before he sells them. Wouldn't want them to stop giving him the stones after all.

C86: Wasn't it said before that the landlord wasn't willing to sell because he was waiting for the government to buy him out for a high price as part of a re-development project? Why would that have changed?

C91: lol. She needs to work on her consolation technique ;)

C96: I wonder if she'll capture one of those three's soul, and if so, how long she can keep a soul.

C99: Why wouldn't the class D's simply carry guns? No need to damage your potential to execute a ranged attack then, nor any need to worry about inadequate reaction/aiming speeds.

C102: What good does pretending do now when they didn't bother to pretend the first time they left their house to chase the criminals?

C107: I wonder how long it'll take them to notice that Li Yixiao stated their joining the Heavenly Network as an inescapable fact. Also curious how long it would be after that before people start trying to defect to other countries.

C109: I wonder if when Liu Li advances to E, he'll go to challenge the MC to arm wrestling only to "awaken" the MC again? ;)

C111: Seriously? They're not willing to pay their metahumans properly? How do they expect to keep them from all going into the private sector, joining criminal organizations and/or defecting to other countries?

C112: "You, girl, have a talent for ancient literature! " lol. Who was it again whose moral values were supposed to be molded by this relationship? ;)

C113: The author is definitely underestimating the difficulty of guarding a border as large as China's.

C114: "Europeans and Americans aside, as it was quite impossible for them to sneak into the mainland" Why? Westerners are rare in China, but not really unheard of. At most, they'd need to wear disguises so that they wouldn't be recognized as practitioners.

C117: lol. I wonder why he doesn't just speak to the teacher. He'd lose a bit of face, but I'm sure the teacher would tell Lu Shu to stop bothering him and train.

C118: I'm beginning to worry about Liu Li's sanity. Sure, he's a self-absorbed prick, but he's not nearly bad enough to deserve being driven insane.

C119: lol. I get why the others are falling for it, but why is even Xi Fei falling for it? He should know that when people awaken they light up like the sun.

C120: I wonder if anyone will die, especially among the youngest students.

C121: I wonder if he'll use this chance to "discover" a refresher fruit for his neighbor.

C130: How is he carrying the sword, the ax and the fruits? Just how many hands does he have?

C131: Aww, he lost his sword. I wonder if he'll get a new one or be able to trade the spear with someone for a good sword.

C135: With his attitude towards hide-n-seek, I feel that he'd be quite good at battle royale games...

C136: Liu Li should start charging magic stones to arm wrestle him ;)

C143: "To train peacefully till an old age without worry, that was just an impossible ideal." Not really. It's only dangerous because the government is making it so. If they wanted to, they could give everyone the full technique manual and people could train all they wanted in the safety and privacy of their own homes. I'm not saying that they should of course, just that they could, and if the family is influential enough, they definitely will.

C153: I figured the MC would sneak down alone. I wonder how he'll break away from the team now. It seems unlikely that he wouldn't be the one to retrieve the relic after all.

Also wondering if the relic will be useful for his sister since it seems likely to be related to the undead and souls. Though, even if it is, I'm not sure how he'd smuggle it home.

C154: Anyone else think his friend's brother is Nie Ting?

C157: It's getting harder and harder to ignore the xenophobia and ultra-nationalism of this author.

C160: lol.

C161: Why didn't he get any points from the general when he picked up the seal? Or when he entered the room and was detected by the general?

C167: I kinda expected him to help out his deskmate.

That aside, the treasures power isn't solely the movement of magical energy. It's also highly useful for recon purposes.

C173: "How do girls master makeup and styling under no one’s guidance after they reach a certain age?" They don't.

I wonder what qualified him to finally get access to a new fruit. Was it maybe Corpsedog absorbing that spy's soul?

C174: I wonder why he doesn't let his sister learn any form of combat training. Even if it was just Tai Chi, it would dramatically improve her ability to protect herself against other metahumans. I expect it would also help her to make use of her chi once he starts giving her some of those new fruits.

C176: lol. This guy is truly shameless XD

Well, if that's the result of quitting, then the MC is going to have to hit A rank before he can tell them to go f' themselves.

C179: He has asked for help though? He just reciprocates as quickly as he can, or doesn't recognize it as asking for help in the first place.

19. tides

tides Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link

i dont understand

is the TL good or bad?
    if the author does alot of word play, then leaving it in pingyin is ideal. infact alot of names of characters.locations,cities and skill/spells/powers are best left in pingyin.

for example is one of JY most popular novel, swordsman, the skill that is talked all over the novel if translated into english, becomes something hilarious like "crysthanamum flower bible"

20. strixflash

strixflash Dao Seeker!

Reading List:
    Link
    Let's say the original Chinese text's proability of bringing a smile to your face is 80/100. Then the translations probability would be 10/100. The translations have epicly failed in retaining the humor for which the novel is #1 on Chinese Qidian.

You decide if it's good or bad on this...