LCD Nine Star Hegemon Body Art

Discussion in 'Latest Chapter Discussion' started by SerialBeggar, Jan 31, 2019.

1. SerialBeggar

SerialBeggar Hate your family? Got no friends? Gimme your stuff

Reading List:
    Link
    https://www.novelupdates.com/series/nine-star-hegemon-body-art/

[​IMG]

This novel has pretty low ratings (3.3 as of this moment), but it is undeserving in my opinion. The translations is good and there are 4 chapters posted each day. Yeah, it's nothing special for this genre, but while I haven't caught up yet, I find that this novel is a good read if you like action & adventure.

The MC is likable. In the opening story arc at his home town, the MC has close friends even though he's bullied by arrogant young masters. Unlike other novels where initial friends are disposable, he helps solve their cultivation issues as soon as he could after he assimilated his cheat and joined the alchemist guild.

After he leaves his home town, he displays different facades as he goes. His use of an arrogant/insulting facade to reciprocate on arrogant young masters and elders does seem to throw gas in a fire to blow up situations though.

The only dissonant issue I have with the MC is that he's actively collecting a harem. He's so smitten with a girl and proclaim his undying love for her, but as soon as they separate temporarily, he's wooing a new girl. I'm only at ch-160+ right now, but he's already got 2 fiances and 1 new girl being heavily flirted with.

Invisalats likes this.
  2. Invisalats

Invisalats The Bearded One

Reading List:
    Link
    The harem part isn't that bad as in general it's just flirting. I've read all the currently translated chapters(276) and there hasn't been anything groundbreaking in the plot development but the story isn't bad, it's just above average as the cultivation technique of mc is pretty unique and there isn't a ton of completely unreasonable actions by the antagonists. Pretty much the story seems well planned and not written on a whim so even though it's not amazing in it's plot it is a solid read and if the mc is the the type you like then you'll probably be addicted.

blablabla12 likes this.
  3. kkchaitu

kkchaitu Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You hae to keep reading as the “unreasonable actions” will be made clear. Though that will take a while. The story is definitely one of the better ones IMO.

4. Expatamoeba

Expatamoeba Have eyes but still couldn't see Mount Tai

Reading List:
    Link
    I remember reading this novel until chapter 70 something before dropping it. I forgot why I dropped it though. But from my memory it's just an upgraded version of ATG. It's good if you love typical xianxia but at this point I'm really getting sick random jade beauties and arrogant young masters popping out of nowhere.

Reot likes this.
  5. Invisalats

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't think there has been many if any unreasonable actions by antagonists, most have actual plot behind them and fit into the story. I say it's above average only because the story has nothing that really separates it from the norm in it's genre and that it still uses a lot of tropes even if the author makes them less cringe worthy. Also the mc is a little thoughtless at times when he acts as even though he has backers he often forgets them and seeks alternative means that are less effective, this is a common plot method used for characters without any backing so to see it used in this novel makes it out of place.

6. kkchaitu

kkchaitu Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I know and most of those are explained. The thing is that you have to wait for a while.

7. SerialBeggar

Reading List:
    Link
    ch-227: What an insightful quote! :aww::facepalm:
    :blob_pout:

8. alenotbeer

alenotbeer Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think you just reminded me why I dropped this novel now. MC is supposed to be nobility and he's basically the reincarnation of some ancient master or whatever, but he has no elegance or grace. All of his insults are vulgar and juvenile. No wisdom, no cleverness. All arrogance with shit all to back up his talk. If you told me that MC was forced to integrate with some ignorant countryside farmer that publicly shits into a plastic bag, I would believe it. Just another YY story that relies heavily on faceslapping and pretty ladies to keep the readers happy. These are literally a dime dozen. Nothing special, and definitely not worth investing your time into unless you think that you can read 2k chapters with this kind of protagonist.

Reot likes this.
  9. SerialBeggar

Reading List:
    Link
    That was actually said by a sect ancestor, but ok.

10. Thelemonish

Thelemonish Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    He's not. Even though his father is supposed to be one of the strongest people in his city, MC and his mom got constantly oppressed by the nobility. So he definitely didn't grow up like a noble.

He's not. He had one day suddenly inherited memories of a master, but it hasn't changed who he really is.

I think his jokes are pretty clever (even though they are also juvenile), but to each their own.

I mean he's pretty strong... And honestly not too arrogant all things considered.

I don't think there is a lot of faceslapping in this novel. Don't remember any young masters either other than maybe the first few chapters. I'd say the novel mostly relies on MC's character/humor which you funnily seem to hate.

letswait likes this.
  11. letswait

letswait Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Not that sudden.
    Given his realization and his mother's/alchemists comments he seem to have been hounded to death or something, but managed to survive.

“Mrs. Long, the fact that young master Long managed to return with his life is already infinitely lucky."
    “The young master’s hindbrain received an acute shock. To tell the truth, being able to wake up is already extremely lucky; however, the repercussions will definitely still be very severe. Losing his memory is quite possible in this situation…”
    (iow, the rather common near death experience in chinese novels)

I agree with the rest though..

Reot and Thelemonish like this.
  12. Thelemonish

Thelemonish Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    True, though by 'suddenly' I was just trying to state that he wasn't born with the memories.

13. blablabla12

blablabla12 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    His interactions with Tang Wan-er killed the novel for me ( too cringe ).

Reot likes this.
  14. alenotbeer

alenotbeer Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    All in all, to each their own taste. So in my opinion, the ratings for this story is perfect where it is. It's not a 1, nor a 5, but rated evenly in the middle. Case in point, you seem to love it while I am far less tolerant. The truth is, it seems the things that hooked you to the story are actually what caused me to drop it.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2019
    Reot and Invisalats like this.
  15. Invisalats

Reading List:
    Link
    That's normal, I'd actually rate the novel closer to 4 since I rate based on it's quality with in it's genre and not versus other genre. If I was to rate it a non genre specific manner it would be at best a 2.5* but I have always found that unfair as the medium has to be taken into account in any rating as some mediums just tend to butcher an authors ability. To be honest most wn are hampered by the system where more money is made the more chapters and words within a chapter and while some authors can maintain a relatively high quality for the medium it is normally only because they came along when it wasn't as big of a system. Now wn companies are much less lenient on allowing an author who hasn't established him/herself to continue his/her novel and they have to suffer through unfair fanboy comparison to works that preceded them. NSHBA actually avoids the constantly repeating reworded expressions or paragraphs most novels flood their chapters with which is automatically 4* rating to me followed by adjustments based on quality, plot, characters, world which unfortunately would drag my rating down cause the novel is well done but generic in almost every aspect and the non generic parts suffer from mediocre to poor execution.

16. Jel44

Jel44 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Exactly how I feel. I like this novel alot though. I can't wait to see how Elder Sun is gonna react to the bait and switch.

17. GinDole

GinDole Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Meh, not really my cup of tea at the moment, nya.

18. tides

tides Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    my idol

Last edited: Feb 3, 2019
  19. letswait

letswait Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I guess it should be ok since it was specifically asked for, and is behind descriptive spoiler buttons.
    Posting a message in the titles' spoiler thread, then linking to it here might've been preferable for
    most, but, that is additional effort..

20. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    2600 plus chapters and still ongoing?
    I love closure.
    Such a novel will not give a grandpa like me closure