LCD The Sword Dynasty 剑王朝

Discussion in 'Latest Chapter Discussion' started by 101that, Aug 17, 2019.

1. 101that

101that Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    https://www.novelupdates.com/series/the-sword-dynasty/

https://dreamsofjianghu.ca/2019/07/20/sd-01-001/#more-8917

I love the 28 chapters translated to-date and notice that there is no LCD thread for this gem yet. I think I may as well start a LCD and at the same time, introduce this undiscovered gem to other readers.

Reading this novel gives me the feeling that is closer to wuxia with an emphasis on qi-cultivation rather than xuanhuan or cookie-cutter xianxia. In the first 28 chapters alone, a main plot and various sub-plots are introduced. Author has also started to flesh out various interesting characters besides MC. Somehow, reading this evokes a sense of Mao Ni's style of writing (but thankfully, not as ...ephemeral?) and Zhu Xian's characterization. Translation quality is excellent! Novel "only" consists of 939 chapters and hopefully, quality-degrading fillers will not pop up in the rest of the novel.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2019
  2. hmz

hmz Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    now i see your review i will check it soon

3. Wu Jizun

Wu Jizun Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That is because 无罪's xianxias are written as traditional xianxia, not the new-school xianxia so popularly translated at the moment.

4. Not Red Yet

Not Red Yet Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Would give it a shot but the historical genre puts me off.

5. 101that

Reading List:
    Link
    Apparently, this novel has been adapted as a TV series with filming wrapped up in Apr 2019. The main actor and actress are Li Xian 李现 and Li YiTong 李一桐 respectively. Director is supposed to have bagged several awards for his big-screen films in China. He also provided the gravelly voice-over for the trailer that can be found at this link:

6. Ushiyama Tatsuma

Ushiyama Tatsuma Devilish Judoka • Big Breeder ☆

Reading List:
    Link
    Looks like something @Wujigege would enjoy, Due to the adaptation.

Wujigege likes this.
  7. 101that

Reading List:
    Link
    " Usually, when a disciple joined the sect, the sect would teach them based on their potential and attributes, give suggestions and help them pick a suitable cultivation method and swordsmanship method."

Hmm ... I wonder if Ding Ning knows of any swordsmanship. Previously, he killed the peak Realm Three cultivator using his Silkworm cultivation method and there's no mention of him practicing swords to-date.

I like the intelligence and logic behind Ding Ning's explanation to Nangong Chaishu regarding his late attempt to join a sect - all truths that can be verified with only some crucial bits of concealment. The same can be said of the reasons for his request to stay off-campus with his aunt.

The writing so far, strikes a balance between the bewilderment that often arises in the readers' minds when reading Mao Ni's writing and the brain-turned-off when reading other typical xian-xia writing. One needs to think when reading Sword Dynasty but not over-work the 1.4kg organ (brain).

yuzen likes this.
  8. 101that

Reading List:
    Link
    “Do you know who are the most terrifying people in the world? Not the ones who do not fear death, but those that are soon to die, and do not worry if they would die or not. I am too old, almost dead, but before the end, I need to remind people of this.”

Nice! :)

yuzen likes this.
  9. 101that

Reading List:
    Link

Premiers end of this month on iQiYi, it seems.

10. yuzen

yuzen ⚝Ńihilisťič⚝

Reading List:
    Link
    Surprised @101that, after watching your thread,
    is this old adaptation of sword dynasty?? or the novel translated from drama?? Can you give me spoilers of this novel.
    Can you give me some spoilers.

11. 101that

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't quite catch what you mean. Web-novel came out in 2017, story was adapted into an animation series later that year, filming started last year, and translation by Dreams of Jianghu began July 2019.

yuzen likes this.
  12. yuzen

yuzen ⚝Ńihilisťič⚝

Reading List:
    Link
    I thought the novel is the adapted version of movie/drama. It's my wrong assumption.

I'm interested in this novel. Dreams of jianghu looks very proficient with their in-depth translation. Historical genre is practically hard to translate.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2019
  13. frustratedguy109

frustratedguy109 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I wonder who was "that person" from Ba Mountain Sword Field. He keeps getting mentioned in the story but his name is never given. The author draws inspiration from history for setting and characters, so could he be inspired by a historical figure?

Could it be Lu Buwei? I'm not familiar with the history, but there are a couple similarities. Lu Buwei was incredibly powerful and Qin Shihuang's greatest supporter but he was later deposed by Qin Shihuang.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
    101that likes this.
  14. 101that

Reading List:
    Link
    Quite possible ...but it is generally believed that Lu Buwei out-lived Qin ShiHuang.

Here's a version of Qin ShiHuang that may be an interesting read for you -
    https://historycollection.co/10-fas...-first-emperor-that-will-leave-you-speechless

Much of the account on China's ancient history is based on Sima Qian's seminal work during the early Han dynasty. Sima Qian's records date back 2,500 years before his time (i.e. almost 5,000 years ago) and the veracity of his compilation is sometimes questioned the further back the compilation goes. Fortunately, Qin dynasty is only 100+ year before Sima Qian's time so I guess his records of Qin dynasty should be less controversial.

15. frustratedguy109

frustratedguy109 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm not sure how much of that is actual fact. I always thought that Qin ShuHuang being the son of Lu Buwei was just an ungrounded rumor that was passed around due to how unpopular he was. At any rate, there's no actual proof of it being true...

I started watching the live action drama for this series. Around episode 10 (which is about the middle of volume 2) it seems like the story completely diverges. Of course, that's just based off what I've read of the translations; maybe the divergence is only a couple of episodes.

Also, I have no idea what they were thinking giving the actor for Ding Ning such a dopey hairstyle.

Wujigege likes this.
  16. tides

tides Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    nobody today will ever know if that rumour is true or not

it could have been some drunk story teller in a tavern who started talking rubbish years after the qin empire fell for all we know but the fact is that this rumour never gained any traction or foothold during the warring states and the qin dynasty

QSH parents will always and forever be king Zhuangxiang unless someone can go back in time and get them to do DNA testing

17. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    I enjoyed the drama.
    I am not one who wants adaptations to copy and paste from the source material.
    Towards the end, it was a little too fast paced but still fun.

Ye Zhen stole the show. Yao Di who played her is such a wonderful actress.

I am considering watching Way of Choices drama adaptation just because she is also in it. I dropped it the first time

18. MangoGuy

MangoGuy Rambling Mango

Reading List:
    Link
    This series is really good at hyping!!

Wujigege likes this.
  19. MangoGuy

MangoGuy Rambling Mango

Reading List:
    Link
    this series might have a few pacing issues, but when it starts to move, it really canters!!

101that likes this.
  20. MangoGuy

MangoGuy Rambling Mango

Reading List:
    Link
    Reminds me of Money Heist and such lol... What a prison break!!