LCD Apotheosis of a Demon – A Monster Evolution Story

Discussion in 'Latest Chapter Discussion' started by jacobpaige, Aug 21, 2019.

1. jacobpaige

jacobpaige Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    link: https://www.novelupdates.com/series/apotheosis-of-a-demon-a-monster-evolution-story/

C1: Why would the government sponsor a game? It sounds like its not anything truly world shattering. It'd be like the government sponsoring Call of Duty 23. People should be super suspicious.

"their character will be deleted." That would be a deal breaker for all but the most hardcore of players. It would be far too niche for the game to ever be approved for production (given how expensive its production is being made out to be), much less reach the market. There's a reason roguelikes let you carry over some form of progress between deaths.

"Secret alpha testers."
    "Publicly, this experiment’s purpose"
    So, which is it? Public or secret? Or is public just referring to what they told the testers?

c2: I'm not sure how a slime qualifies as a demon?

Hmm, maybe she should try vegetarianism...

C3: She's not being careful with that crystal's charges at all..

C6: That was a seriously stupid way to design the evolution system. No wonder they have such a high attrition rate.

C7: This is far more exposition on a side character than we could possibly need, even if he winds up being the main antagonist, which I don't think he will.

That aside, I'm betting the growth rate is determined by the opponent's strength, not by whether or not they're human. Though, if I'm wrong, it would explain why monsters like killing humans so much.

C9: Why didn't she drop the stuff when she was fleeing for her life? None of it sounds like it would be worth dying for, and keeping it was definitely making running away harder.

C10: It feels like the nature of the skill Reroll has completely changed and lost most of its random aspects and uncontrollability.

C15: Every ten minutes seems a bit too frequent if they want any of the alphas to survive more than a day.

C16: It seems the author changed their mind about the purpose of this experiment mid way.

C17: I wonder if this means that she can break free of the Earth's system and join Yggdrasia's in order to continue evolving.

C18: I wonder if she'll try to guide any beta testers to that message. It wouldn't take much. She'd just have to stay near it for a while.

C20: “I’ll sue you for abuse of authority.” I sincerely doubt either of them would be allowed to sue for anything related to their workplace. Any attempt would likely result in one or both of them "disappearing". So, she should totally try that.

C21: I wonder how long it'll be until she starts trying to unite the demihumans against the humans.

C22: "I dispersed my right arm, moving the mist through the cracks, then re-solidify to unlock the bolt from the inside." It would probably have been easier to just pick the lock...

C23: lol. I love how she solved that problem, though I doubt anyone else did ;)

Did I miss it, or did she never ask where the auction was being held? If it was in the town she was in, then she's going in the wrong direction now. Heck, if its not in the capital, she may well be going in the wrong direction.

V25: I wonder how she'll convince them to let her have a hood without showing them her ears.

C26: My, people she needs to kill sure are proactive with relieving her conscience first ;)

C27: Why would she evolve immediately? That's a super dangerous thing to do in combat.

C29: I wonder if she plans to start issuing quests to players.

C34: I wonder if Brian is a demon, or just a really evil person with a mind reading power of some sort or enough paranoia to Big Brother his staff.

C38: Why warn them? It'll only make them more prepared when she returns, and more determined to not give up hunting her in the other world.

C39: I think she could still get help from the demihumans if she wanted it. I doubt they'd mind destroying human civilization.

C41: If Tiz's nation is so strong, then why were he and his guards so weak?

C42: Honestly, I was expecting the stone to give her the alpha tester's ability. Maybe that will only happen with the first 23 since the others' abilities were too weak?

C43: Honestly, her power level should already be more than high enough to go head to head with any military on the planet. I wonder how the author's planning to explain whoever winds up actually slowing her down at some point.

C45: If all drugs are legal, then why is there mafia? The industry would just be run by normal merchants who would sell their products in normal stores. Sure, they would have connections to mafia in other countries, and might even be owned by them, but there'd be no need for them to act like criminals in their own country.

I wonder how long it'll take her to realize that naming them is what does it ;)

C48: Why did she leave without destroying the sapling?

C51: I wonder if Brian doesn't realize that his superiors will kill him, or is too insane to care?

C52: "none of them wanted to be her enemy." They murdered her and 99 other people just like her in the cruelest ways they could imagine. What on Earth makes them think that they aren't already her enemies?

C57: His skill levels seem quite low. Shouldn't at least one of them be somewhat close to ten?

I wonder why she didn't wait until the boss monster arrived to do that.

C59: Why would he be allowed back in the game? Heck, why wouldn't he have been killed as an unstable variable that was more dangerous alive than dead?

C62: I'm betting that's Friend Number One.

C63: With nearly 100k combat power, how would something with 3k even put up a fight? It should be like a termite trying to fight a herd of elephants using just one leg after fasting for a week.

C71: I wonder how the MC will take this.

c73: Wouldn't attacking at night miss the lionshare of the researchers and what not? The people most responsible for the things she's angry about? At least in this building anyway.

“YOU! Do you not feel anything, killing so many?!” That's some hardcore hypocrisy there.

"She even knew of the rumors that the adults in the facility were mistreating her." What rumors? The person abusing the MC proudly bragged about doing so right in front of her and recommended that they continue so as to provoke a reaction out of her comatose body. A suggestion that they took, in this idiot's presence, likely at her command. That's not rumor. That's an undeniable fact.

C75: "abuse that at times bordered on being torture" electorshock doesn't border on torture. It is torture. Very unambiguously so.

C79: I can't decide if the Sage is stupid or insane to be going along with this when she'd have to understand how bad of an idea it was in order to actually help with it in the first place.

C80: Wouldn't a demon that strong need a much stronger contractor than either of those two in order to stay in that world? And wasn't it said earlier that demons were basically servants of the World Tree that processed evil souls for it?

All that aside, it feels like this is basically her fault for being so slow at killing the saplings. If she'd been serious about it from the beginning, she could have wiped out 1-2 trees a day for weeks before people understood what was going on, and by then, she'd have been so strong that even if they all joined forces against her, they couldn't have stopped her from continuing. She'd have killed them all by now, and would be even stronger than this lord class demon when she made her trip back to Earth afterward.

Baabaablack likes this.
  2. Matteus

Matteus [潜んでいる] [Com Fome]

Reading List:
    Link
    Lolwut

3. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    There is a bit too much to comment on so i'll just comment on a few.

You only get deleted if you break the law severely and get jailed. It makes sense if you plan to have a true open world game otherwise trolls will ruin the game for everyone. Wasn't there an incident with Fallout was it? Where trolls completely ruined the open world experience.

She isn't a slime, she is more like a bundle of maisma.

Chapter 80 isn't out yet... and if you read works by this author before like Demon Noble Girl ~Story of a Careless Demon~ , the strength of the contractor doesn't matter. They simply need either a body to manifest or mana or both.

Demons are NOT made by the world tree. She is an artificial demon. A real demon is more of a balance system, the world tree simply replicated that concept.

The MC I will remind you had virtually no real life experience. If you think about it, she is already doing stuff way beyond what should be her experience level.

4. jacobpaige

Reading List:
    Link
    You also get deleted if you die twice in a row without recovering your lost stats from the first death. So, if a PKr decides to grief you, they can just kill you twice to delete your account. Or, if you're spawn point is in the middle of a war and you wind up dying twice in said war: deleted. Or, if you're a bit unlucky while trying to recover the lost stats: deleted.

She's described as slime, its only latter that she becomes miasma. At best, she might be ectoplasm, but I still wouldn't see how that qualifies as a demon.

It is out. You can check the translator's website if you don't believe me. I'm not sure why it's not listed here yet though.

I wasn't talking about her.

Not saying it wasn't understandable. She's only eleven after all. Just saying its her fault, which is entirely different.

5. lnv

Reading List:
    Link
    From what I remember and its been a while, that you lose stats if you die. Only if you don't recover your stats and keep dying. And you respawn in your designated town so its hard for people to grief you.

It is a demon and I've seen multiple works with a liquid type demons. She also becomes mist later on.

Link?

All demons in that world are artificial ones. This summoned one is probably a real one.

Not to mention she has been locked up most of her life.

6. jacobpaige

Reading List:
    Link
    You can only recover your stats by fighting. If you just stay in town and hope the PKrs won't off you while the guard's aren't looking then you might as well delete the account yourself.
    Just click the chapter 79 link and hit 'next chapter'.
    I don't recall that ever having been stated. The only times demons were mentioned as residents of Yggdrasia was when it was mentioned that they resided in the Abyss where they dealt with evil souls that had been sent there by the World Tree and when it was stated that they couldn't reside in Yggdrasia proper without a strong purpose, usually provided by a Contract.

7. lnv

Reading List:
    Link
    No one said anything about staying in town, but how far you venture matters. You can also take trains and the like to nearby towns. PKing means you have a chance of getting caught and your account deleted, so while it might happen it won't happen often.

Nope, it is not a clickable link.

She states she isn't a real demon and she did say that other lesser demons do exist. (it wouldn't have even been a choice if it wasn't). Now the world tree might send souls to the demons, sure. But they aren't controlled by the world tree. Based on previous series, if the world tree tried to do that then the demons would destroy it.

A contract binds them, but there are a ton of loopholes they could use in their contracts. For example, they make a contract for "making you the strongest" but they wipe out your will and take over your body. Thus they fulfill their contract and manifest at same time.

8. jacobpaige

Reading List:
    Link
    Trains are extremely expensive, and honestly, the PKing example is far less likely to be a problem compared to the extremely common example of getting killed while trying to recover your lost stat points. I'm not sure how many games you've played, but deaths snowballing is super common, even more so with a stat penalty that can only be removed with more fighting.

Ah, I think I may have mislabeled it in my post then.

I never said she was a real demon. I very specifically pointed out that I was NOT talking about her. Also, this isn't the author's previous works, nor have I read them. Therefore, there is no reason for me to assume or believe that things work the same way in this one as they have in previous, unrelated works when the world building in this one (so far) says that they don't.

9. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    hmm seem like it is true Demon Lord level or something?
    existence that born to destroy universe

10. jacobpaige

Reading List:
    Link
    If she rewrote history for that space, then wouldn't that have reversed the summoning of the demonic god?

Why would she go to Fiorfata? She knows she's not strong enough even at full power and she's missing most of her mana (or should have been if the author hadn't forgotten). She should have used the confusion to go destroy saplings. The more, the better. Fighting something six times her strength with millennia of experience in using that strength to fight demons is just a waste of time and energy that could be better spent on leveling up as fast as possible. And given her current speed and combat rating, she could probably destroy a sapling every 1-10 minutes using the world tree's roots. Once she's wiped them all out (which she totally could do, especially with them being distracted by Fiorfata), she'll likely be a demonic god herself and will at least stand a chance against him, in spite of her lack of experience.

11. jacobpaige

Reading List:
    Link
    This feels like burning the house down to deal with a termite infestation.

12. jacobpaige

Reading List:
    Link
    The sea dragon's work for the World Tree. Why wouldn't they help her?

I wonder if Tiz will wind up destroying his own sapling.

13. Dejebel

Dejebel Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think the tree only creates monsters for a purpose and doesn't have direct control.

My guess is Tiz will destroy his sapling and maybe even a few others as well

If she ignores Fiorfata it might go straight for the World Tree far too dangerous

And if she went for other saplings the humans would focus on her first giving Fiorfata a massive advantage

14. kenar

kenar ヽ(`・ω・´)ゝ

Reading List:
    Link
    she needs fiorfata lest he will destroy the place with his blessing. Rewriting history isn't that simple since as we know, she's in another world and the summoning is just happened.

15. jingsen

jingsen Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ignoring Fiorfata and just going around to destroy the saplings in other countries is like telling Fiorfata to do whatever he likes while Shedy takes a lot of time to slowly get stronger. Who knows what kind of mischief he could get up to. If he gets his hands on an intact sapling in his path, there might even be a chance that Fiorfata could use that connection with the World Tree to cause some irreversible damage to it, which is not the end goal of Shedy. I doubt she would think that deeply, but not baiting Fiorfata would probably be a mistake

16. jacobpaige

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, there's only 70ish saplings left. If each takes 10 minutes, then it'd take her about half a day to kill them all. The human armies should be able to keep it distracted for that long, even with how weak they are. Plus, she'd be going back to the World Tree after each one, so if it was approaching one of the saplings, the World Tree could tell her and she could switch to distracting it at that point. It's not like it was moving super fast after all. (at least, not from what I remember of the descriptions of its behavior)

17. Dejebel

Dejebel Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's not moving superfast because it has a helpless little toy to play with

I think you are overestimationg shedy and underestimating the human countries defenses and especially the Demon Lord

Just because it isn't doing something doesn't mean it can't

18. kenar

kenar ヽ(`・ω・´)ゝ

Reading List:
    Link
    I doubt it. Fiorfata can just use his blessing when he face the human. the blessing can infect another so if some nobles catch his blessing they will run away quickly not knowing that will spread his blessing more. Even Shedy had to resort to closing down the area in the earth to not let it infect any further by using her combined skill trick.

19. jacobpaige

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, even if you all are right, and she really didn't have time to go killing saplings, she should at least have asked the resistance to do it for her. She had no way of knowing that they knew it made her stronger, and there was a very real possibility that they'd abandon destroying them to try to do something about Fiorfata.

Though I still think that Fiorfata wasn't terribly interested in taking over the world quickly. It seems like the sort that likes to play with its food.

20. kenar

kenar ヽ(`・ω・´)ゝ

Reading List:
    Link
    yeah, agree on that one. Fiorfata is like a god to the demons in term of power. Maybe he think that it's no use to go all out just to wipe a demon. Fiorfata interested in Shedy because she is an artificial demon because if Shedy is a real one, she will tremble before him and that's the rule written by the author.