Discussion A difference between WN and LN that kinda bugs me

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Yue Er, Dec 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yue Er

Yue Er Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Okay this is just a thread about what I noticed and wanted to ask the community because it kinda bugs me. It's not anything super big, just something that makes me curious.

So the thing I noticed is that LN seems to change the hair length of female characters alot of the times once the novel goes from draft (WN) to product (LN) most of the times they go from longer hair to short hair. I was wondering if this is like a super wide spread trend or something. And maybe speculations as to why is may be the case?

So some examples I guess:
    First would be Konjiki no Wordmaster. Muir is described in the WN as having shoulder length silver hair (not 100% sure cause I haven't read it in a while) but once it went published, all the LN pics depict her as having much shorter hair. The mangas are based of the LN, which makes sense, and so when i read it I subtly felt something was wrong, until I figured out that Muir felt really different. So I went back to the WN and noticed that her hair was indeed changed.
    Recently I read World teacher and Emilia also happens it have had that happen (the LN posted pic right after the paragraph describing her really helped). So what have all of you noticed?

To be honest it doesn't really matter all that much cause it doesn't change the story nor my enjoyment but it's kinda weird cause it doesn't change anything yet it is always changed?

2. Darkaeluz

Darkaeluz 『Whosays25 Onii-chan』, 『He who gave up on Love』

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah it does bug me, but you get used to it with time

3. Parth37955

Parth37955 NU #3, [Dead Inside], Mid-Boss, Dark Dealer Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    maybe too lazy to draw full-length hair, jana~?

4. Yue Er

Yue Er Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    By the way I think the longer hair actually makes the characters look better.

Slimikyi likes this.
  5. Darkaeluz

Darkaeluz 『Whosays25 Onii-chan』, 『He who gave up on Love』

Reading List:
    Link
    In fact I love long hair.

Slimikyi likes this.
  6. Parth37955

Reading List:
    Link
    Long hair is the best, jana~

7. TUSF

TUSF Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Take this image of Muir from the LN:
    [​IMG]
    As you can see, it is in fact "shoulder length", where it touches her shoulder.
    It's a matter of artist interpretation, and I never felt issue with her design.

I had more issue with the character designs of Magi's Grandson, where everyone looked significantly older than what was implied. I actually saw a lot of people complaining about this actually.

8. Aicila

Aicila Huh?

Reading List:
    Link
    Not really familiar with the differences because I haven't read them so i'm just going to guess. Either @Parth37955 is right and they don't want to draw it, or the new editing team feels that short hair is more appropriate for the setting. Are they all backward-technology adventure/action novels? Generally (not always but generally) longer hair is associated with nobles or royalty in these kind of settings because it's difficult to maintain and it's useless in battle. Women with silky shoulder length hair, as much as I like it, don't really paint the picture for some a sword wielding adventurer.

9. Parth37955

Reading List:
    Link
    long hair is pretty impractical for fighting, jana~

10. Aicila

Aicila Huh?

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah... that's why I said it.

11. Parth37955

Reading List:
    Link
    I was agreeing with you ^^. Besides short hair cute too for younger kids, wasn't muir like 10-12 or something? After actually drawing the character out, they probably thought that shorter hair fits the character better (Cause in WN, you rely on your own imagination), jana~

12. Aure94100

Aure94100 French Cultivator from the No-Time Sect

Reading List:
    Link
    I think WN is a personal wriing but LN is a professionnal writing. To explain : WN is created by the author and LN is a author's WN corrected by the publishing house. This is quite common even in europe or america. While the author just create things he likes, the publishing house is adapting the author's work in a more professionnal view by adapting it to the current reader's likings (and also to the publishing's house policy/likings.... etc).

13. loganjames

loganjames Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    well I agree with Aure94100 opinion. LN is different from WN, because LN basically the improved version from WN so the market value of LN can more higher than the WN.

14. kaikalaila

kaikalaila Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    WN is mostly written by the author's self-satisfactorily with no restriction other than the rules placed by the website hosting their stories while in LN , editor will sometime cut off or add in content or even change the plot order in order for the story to have a smoother flow and maybe longer.

For example, Mushoku Tensei had an added volume just for Rudeus' adventure as Quagmire and
    his failed sex with a party member due to his trauma of being left by someone he loved.
    In shield hero, MC met with other character earlier.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.