a few suggestions (things that bother me a bit on the website)

Discussion in 'Novel Updates Site Discussion' started by tride, Apr 11, 2017.

1. tride

tride Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    greetings all :]

i've been using novelupdates alot lately to keep track of all the novels i'm reading but a few things bug me a bit .

1) the way chapter tracking is not the same across the board
    some examples :
    My Wife is a Beautiful CEO c156 part2
    My Wife is a Beautiful CEO c156 part1
    seriously splitting the chapters into halfs is annoying) , i get that some translators do it but is there a need to keep track of parts of a chapter update

Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon v5-a c13
    again can't it just be chapters.. non followers have no idea how long a volume is for all we know a volume could be 5 or 50 chapters
    Xiao Hun Palace c6-9
    multi chapter releases on a single line , on one side your putting updates of half a chapter in single lines on the other side releases of multiple chapters are combined into a single line .. again as a translator this makes sense to me but as a site that is tracking these novels it just doesn't to me

The Weakness of Beatrice the Level Cap Holy... v4...
    this isn't even part of the novel :s great as an extra but still annoying to try and browse this type of stuff

Ojamajo Doremi 16 v3c1 part1
    this one is a combination of just about evrything i hate haha , volumes,chapters & parts

1.1) the release sorting button ...
    i guess it comes down to this more then anything :p its using an alphabetical system instead of a numerical system so the way it sorts stuff is absolutely shit
    an example since i can't link images :p
    etc~~
    ~
    3) reading list
    i love the reading list a small change i would like to see is
    1) undo latest action button (missclicking a novel and suddenly being up to date kinda sucks :p)
    2) read next released chapter button (& mark it as read) (the closest to this right now is the little book that shows you the next 4 chapters)

sorry about some of the typo's i made in advance :p

2. juniorjawz

juniorjawz Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Me can't fix that.

But stuff like 'Book 2 Vol 1 Chap 3 Part 1/3 v2(edited)' sounds like a lot of mess.

3. DiabolicGod

DiabolicGod Well-known lazy Member

Reading List:
    Link
    what bothers me more are websites like wuxiaworld who say that they won´t allow redirecting ads but keep those for many months making me drop a novel
    novelupdates almost never has redirecting ads and if it has then only for a few hours before they remove them
    but yeah, you´re also right with what you say
    btw, it´s the thing I´ve complained the most till now, cause the websites I get redirected to from WW automatically download some .apk and some are viruses

4. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    for number 3 please read your reading list log~
    as numba 1 I don't mind lel~ despite it pretty annonying when see a translator retranslate chapter~

5. Loriel

Loriel [Aspiring Editor][Lover of BL][Pinata Smasher]

Reading List:
    Link
    I also don't like the chapter splitting thing but I don't mind the volume thing

6. Raneday

Raneday Not Rane

Reading List:
    Link
    hmmm you know if you'll just try to read some of the raws, some of them are not really made by the translators but by the author/s themselves.

runsing likes this.
  7. tride

tride Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    i agree that the way the chapters are listed are often from the system said author uses but i'm just saying that a way to track how far a novel is comparably .. a volume doesn't mean anything to me except that normally an "arc" has come to an end .. and sometimes not even that :p

.. the log tho helps! thanks @asriu

8. Hacalyhd

Hacalyhd Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    1)
    a)
    Every uploaded chapter will be added. If a chapter is split (due to TL or A) it will be added in said parts, since people don't want to search for where they left of.
    b)
    Splitting it into volumes is great, because it makes finding stuff easier (Somewhere in the volume where he did XXX is easier to find than "I think after XYY, so ch. 200 ~ 350?")
    c)
    Edit(Correction): c6-9 means, that the TL posted them together in a single post and made only a single link due to convenience. It helps since you do't have to deal with 4+ new notices all pointing towards the same damn thing: Novel XY has new chapters to read.

1.1)
    Never bothered with that, so no opinion here (yet)

3)
    1) agree on that
    2) handy, but not really necesarry. You can either just click on the NU page and then on the next chapter or, if so many new ch. are out, that you have to search where you left of. Click on the last red chapter and re-read it.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
  9. rakesh2206

rakesh2206 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    None of the above are actual issues to be honest. NU picks up any chapter post even if it isn't a full chapter. And there will be a lot of angry people if they actually don't show them cuz they aren't completed. Take My wife is a beautiful CEO what happens if u get part1 of a chapter one day the 2nd part the next day will NU have to wait till the chapter is completed to show it here?? I would not like it and would defeat the purpose of NU

runsing likes this.
  10. tride

tride Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    @Hacalyhd
    as for point c i'm pritty sure thats just chapter 6-7,8 & 9 released in 1 go :p...

11. Noor

Noor Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    the chapter is automatically updated. while some translator that split chapter will combine it later, most are not. that's why it stay like that
    The translator put it that way because the original novel split the volume/chapter that way. not every novel here is web novel which is only based on chapter. and you can't just remove the volume indicator as well because some novel has prologue, epilogue, side story, chapter 1 a-b-c, etc. inside the volume which can't be indicated with only number of chapter.

If you have a hard time tracking on what chapter you are on the novel, then you can just make a reading list and then indicate what chapter you are on so you can just read the next one next time you read.

runsing likes this.
  12. Hacalyhd

Hacalyhd Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Note taken. Somehow skipped reading that part.

13. tride

tride Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    @Noor its not really about it being hard to track its just giving people a way to search easier :]

14. tride

tride Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    another thing is i'm fine with that info being listed i'm just saying maybe another "tab" with just chapter number would make it easier to sort

15. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    Before I start, I just suggest you take a quick look at http://forum.novelupdates.com/threads/how-does-novel-updates-work.21477/ since it will help you understanding why your suggestions won't work (even if they aren't bad).
    All of those have the same problem in implementation.

NU takes releases from RSS feeds, if the translator does it like this, then it will come like this, the only solution would be to manually update things whenever a translator uploads things in a way that isn't very nice to the reader... Which isn't really viable, so this suggestion can't work.
    If I understood what you want properly, you want the releases ordered by the latest release? There is already an option for that...

If what you want is it filtered by number of chapters though, then it is not available... I think it would be a nice addition though.
    While there isn't an undo button, you can check the reading list logs to see where you were before and fix the missclick.

The 2nd suggestion would be nice.

runsing, Aiiee and SoulZer0 like this.
  16. SoulZer0

SoulZer0 Heaven Refining

Reading List:
    Link
    As for the chapter splitting, you have to know that it may be due to the authors' own doing. It's not necessarily the translators. The other reason for doing so is that sometimes there are chapters being too long and there are readers out there who don't have time to read all of it or they are simply being overwhelmed by the word count. So, they split it in a reasonable word count. It's not a bad thing.

As far as I am concerned, the reason why the chapters' name is different is due to the translators themselves. There are people that prefer such numbering, so Novelupdates has to follow them else it might cause confusion.

All of your problems are not real problems. There are minor and don't need much attention.

17. tride

tride Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    @R0 i agree none of these are "big" issues and merely quality of life :)