Discussion A little question for D&D gamers out here

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by Nume, Apr 23, 2017.

1. Nume

Nume [Arcadia Blade Onee-chan][Shameless Paladin]

Reading List:
    Link
    If the verbal and somatic components of a spell happen at diferent planes of existence, like someone casting a spell with his hands inside a bag of holding, does the spell works?

2. Nydestroyer

Nydestroyer Special Name.

Reading List:
    Link
    Spells work on all planes except planes that forbid that spell for some reason, such as a plane that prevents arcane spell casting or something.

3. Nydestroyer

Reading List:
    Link
    But a bag of holding is not a demiplane, so it probably would not work.

4. Nume

Reading List:
    Link
    That didn't aswer my question. :p

5. Nydestroyer

Reading List:
    Link
    Yea I realized that, thus the second response lol

6. Ged Merrilin

Ged Merrilin Cat

Reading List:
    Link
    Entirely up to the dm. As a dungeon master I would say that it would up the spell's level from a level three spell to a level four or five spell, or have the person casting it roll a spellcasting check. This is of course, ignoring the fact that nothing living can enter a bag of holding and once you start to put something in a bag of holding it gets sucked in.

Nom de Plume and udonsage like this.
  7. udonsage

udonsage [Underpaid Software Developer] [Lazy Novelist]

Reading List:
    Link
    Technically, it depends on the DM to make that call and their lore from which the way magic works in that world. For example, in the forgotten realms campaign for 4e there is lore that states that a goddess that governs over magic was killed, thus magic became really weird in that world and weird things happen such as the spell-plague.

So, ask your DM or if you are the DM, what does your lore say with regards to magic?

8. SenjiQ

SenjiQ [Wise, for a Bird]

Reading List:
    Link
    I'd say yes so long as there is a nearby connection, such as a dimension gate. I'd reason that the somatic component needs to "hear" the verbal.

9. NGCleric

NGCleric Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The way the flavor text reads (in the 5th edition PHB) I would say they should be on the same plane of existence.
    Verbal : "The words themselves aren't the source of the spell's power; rather, the particular combination of sounds, with specific pitch and resonance, sets the threads of magic in motion."
    Somatic : ".. might include a forceful gesticulation or an intricate set of gestures. If a spell requires a somatic component, the caster must have free use of at least one hand to perform these gestures."
    It might be up to the DM if you have free use of a hand stuck in a Bag of Holding (or some other thing), but Verbal at least should be on the plane of the desired effect.
    Personally, I would say that they had to be on the same plane - stating that Somatic components are meaningless on their own. Only exception would be in the case that it only had one component - then the spell would take place wherever that component was.

SenjiQ and udonsage like this.
  10. Nume

Reading List:
    Link
    The description talks about a nondimensional space, so I'm confused. But it doesn't have to be a bag of holding, just being on two planes of existence at the same time, like a guy with his hands through a Gate or any other things like that.

Imagine the mindfuck the DM would have to endure mid-game. XD

Oh, good aswer!

11. Huruki

Huruki Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Since a spell area of effect can in theory pass through the mouth of the bag of holding to affect the space inside, then I would say that while they are on separate planes, they are connected enough to not interfere with the activation of the spell

12. ronishamay

ronishamay Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's actually very simple, if there is oxygen i.e breathable air inside to allow the caster to use sounds than yes he can use spells with a vocal/verbal component.
    some bags of holding cannot contain living creatures while others can hold a living creature for up to 10min until the air runs out...
    to test it buy a live chicken and put it into the bag for 5 min than take it out if its alive than you can probably cast spells within.

13. SublimeWay

SublimeWay Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    As a 3.5 DM I'm curious as to how this situation came about. Was this some attempt to hide movements for a spell. Is this the "oh, let me get your item from this bag here... cast invisibility and run away?"

14. Saxumsium

Saxumsium Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If they are in different planes of existence you can't cast the spell. The components come together to form a spell, if one of them is in a bag of holding, how will they come together? At least I would rule it impossible

15. Nume

Reading List:
    Link
    Player tried to stop a sorcerer spell by putting a bag of holding on his head. The grappling part was the easy part of that decision. XD

Sordahon likes this.
  16. ronishamay

ronishamay Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    then again it depends if there is oxygen or not

17. Evertime

Evertime Dungeonmaster Daoist

Reading List:
    Link
    I'd call that as a no or an arcana check of probably dc15 with disadvantage? It would really depend on the situation.

Edit: With shoving the bag of holding onto his head, I believe if something is going to resist going into the bag it'll be a contested check. And trying to put a person in is different because a bag of holding isn't a portable hole, most of the time it looks and functions as a normal bag unless you're thinking about putting something in or taking something out .

Nom de Plume likes this.
  18. Dethati

Dethati Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Um spellcastibg check with disadvantage in my opinion, also person with bag of holding should roll save in case of wild magic....

19. Dethati

Dethati Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's more of a timeline thing as well, if he finished somatic but was incomplete in verbal, roll a d100 wild magic for planar lag. Teaches both not to fiddle with bags of holding and magic.

20. Ged Merrilin

Ged Merrilin Cat

Reading List:
    Link
    Bags of holding and similar things are the bane of any dm, one person in my party who has one currently has five ladders and several hundred feet of silk rope in his.